Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

One at a time Zaius
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    One at a time Zaius
    I have to agree having been chastised (well deserved), but I will second this nomination for you.

The Silence of the Lambs - Thomas Harris
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Second Turn of the Screw, Catch-22.

Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Robert Louis Stevenson

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are some of my more literary nominations:
    Black Water - Joyce Carol Oates ( Kennedy's Chappaquiddick tale told from the young girl's point of view while drowning)
    The Grotesque - by Patrick McGrath (tale told from the perspective of a paralyzed, vegetative, perhaps insane, narrator)
    This Book Will Save Your Life - by A. M. Homes (Stephen King recommended this a few years back much to my delight)
    The Road and No Country for Old Men - both by Cormac McCarthy
    Earth Abides - by George R. Stewart (wonderful humanistic novel that won the first World Fantasy Award)
    Their Eyes Were Watching God - by Zora Neale Hurston
    The Age of Innocence - by Edith Wharton
    The Maltese Falcon - by Dashielle Hammett
    The Big Sleep and The Long Goodbye - both by Raymond Chandler
    Mystic River - by Dennis Lehane
    Battle Royale - by Koushun Takami (not the graphic novel version!)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

I can second that one!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

SORRY! I was typing the other one. I will follow the rules!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Am I within the rule to nominate:

Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

You will be if Dr. Zaius picks one to nom first.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You will be if Dr. Zaius picks one to nom first.
    OK, I'm being a "good boy" from here on in!!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ill reference many of these nominations on what to choose to read. I hope I will have the time. I suggest we cap around 4-500 nominations to help filter through. I imagine well have a lot of novels with only a couple seconds battling it out to make the hundred we vote for placment on. I'll be reading five or more books at the cottage in a few weeks. A lot of these nominations have been books I've bought in the past year and haven't gotten to yet...want to second as many as I can.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, I'm being a "good boy" from here on in!!!! LOL
    Okay; actually, if your vote for Silence of the Lambs counts as a second rather than a proper nomination, then I guess you can nom Treasure Island now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    And I'd like to nominate Fight Club.
    Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I will second Fight Club and would like to nominate The Outsiders.
    Slaughterhouse-Five Kurt Vonnegut
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Seconded.

Portnoy's Complaint nominated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I second Slaughterhouse Five

I nominate Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
    I nominate "Jaws" by Peter Benchley
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I nominate The Road
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    (+1 from Merlin.)

None of Zaius's others count until he or someone else renominates them. Please, no one else try to second any from the earlier posts and throw off the sequence again.

Zaius, if you're still online now, you could go ahead and nominate one, since two people have nominated since the first one that's been counted from you. Or anybody else could go, except me (until there's one more) or Merlin (until there's two more.) That's how it works.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I was seconding "Silence of the Lambs"

Then I nominated "Jaws". Cool?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

+1 to the following:
    It
    Stand
    Turn of the Screw
    Brave New World
    Fight Club
    Outsiders
    The Road
    Jekyll/Hyde
    Treasure Island

Nominate: A Clockwork Orange
    Sloth Love Chunk

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I just changed my theme to this earlier today Sadly I've never read the book though. I'm guessing I should?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I nominate Charlotte's Web
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I just changed my theme to this earlier today Sadly I've never read the book though. I'm guessing I should?
    But of course!!!! Better than the movie, believe it or not!!! For shame!!!

Remarkable how many folks nominate a book without having read it!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I second A Clockwork Orange

Believe Im eligible to nominate so I'll nominate: East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Second Charlottes Web. One of the best novels to instill a love of reading.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding: Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Treasure Island, A Clockwork Orange.

Nominating: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a little confused on the seconding - even if it's already been seconded do it again? As kind of a vote?

I nominate The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Less seconds equals possible elimination from list

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Here is my list of nominations, minus the three already counted. If any have been added since, then please add them as seconds, etc. C'mmon people, someone please second Geek Love - gotta read this!

Carrion Comfort - Dan Simmons
    Hyperion (1&2) - Dan Simmons
    Clive Barker - Imajica
    The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty
    Good Omens or American Gods - Neil Gaiman (the first with Terry Pratchet)
    The Stand, IT, Salem's Lot, and The Shining - by King favorites
    LOL, no, please, don't make it harder for me. The rules are made for fun, but also for consistence.

Go through the existing list. Nominate one novel that isn't already there. Explicitly second as many as you want.

I have to disregard this post of yours because it does not comply with the rules.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I'm a little confused on the seconding - even if it's already been seconded do it again? As kind of a vote?
    PRECISELY. That's the point. I'll make it clearer in the starter post.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding The Glass Bead Game.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding Clockwork Orange, East of Eden and No Country for Old Men.

Nominating The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast