Thread: The Dark Man: An Illustrated Poem

Gunslinger Apprentice CaliMark is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliMark View Post
    Just got a shipping notification from Amazon that my Trade HC has shipped....The other editions were a bit to $$$ for me...Anyone else is it on its way?

CaliMark
    Mark Reed
    Please let us know how your copy looks when it arrives. We drop shipped a ton of copies to our book distributors who either reshipped those copies to Amazon's warehouses or, more likely, are shipping FOR Amazon in Amazon boxes. (That was something new we learned last month. It turns out at least one of the major book distributors ships on behalf of Amazon in Amazon's own packaging a lot more than we realized.)

Thanks for ordering a copy! Hope you dig it.

Brian
    I got the book today! It was shipped from their fulfillment center near Reno. Nice box with plenty of air bubble packing. So looks in GREAT condition! I didn't think I would see it till after the 30th! I'll take a look at it after I finished up with the couple books that I am currently reading....Then it will go on the shelf next to my CD Blockcade Billy. Thanks for the nice book!

CaliMark

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool, CaliMark! It's great to know the trade edition has hit the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliMark View Post
    I got the book today! It was shipped from their fulfillment center near Reno. Nice box with plenty of air bubble packing. So looks in GREAT condition! I didn't think I would see it till after the 30th! I'll take a look at it after I finished up with the couple books that I am currently reading....Then it will go on the shelf next to my CD Blockcade Billy. Thanks for the nice book!

CaliMark
    Excellent news!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lilja shared his review of this book, so here is mine :

"Glenn Chadbourne is an illustrator that i know through his work on THE SECRETARY OF THE DREAMS, also published by Cemetery Dance. The "THE DARK MAN" project is echoing SOTD, as SOTD is a graphic novel adaptation & illustrations of Stephen King stories. Always with the same original graphic style, Glenn brings an amazing attention to details.

What is exceptional in his style, is that we can easily spend long minutes looking closely an illustration, and keep finding, permanently, elements that we didn't notice. And the same goes with the re-reading the book. This is a really impressive graphic style.

This version of THE DARK MAN brings a terrifying & dark history of the Dark Man. Giving the fact that this is an adaptation of a very short poem by Stephen King, the first reading may be relatively quick... but then we feel the need to go back and re-read THE DARK MAN, and pay a lot more attention to the illustrations, and its therefore at this time that we spend a long time on each illustrations and than we realise how hypnotising Glenn's work can be.

Do not expect to be bloomed by Stephen King's text, as it is really short... but, instead, you will find yourself amazed & astonished by the vision & transcription of the text into artwork by Glenn Chadbourne. From a short 45 lines poem to an exceptionnal illustration book."
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

As I posted in the Cemetery Dance thread, something looks different about this copyright page...

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/king08

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Second printing. Nice! Good sales.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Booklist will be publishing a great review of The Dark Man early next month:

"Purportedly scrawled by a college-age King on the back of a restaurant place mat, this glowering poem introduced a wandering character of ultimate evil, who would later mature into Randall Flagg of The Stand, The Eyes of the Dragon, and the Dark Tower series. Therefore, even though this is a curiosity, it's a significant one in the King mythos, and Chadbourne's black-and-white interpretation gives the spare text just the rotten juice it craves. The poem itself is the sort of metaphysical, apocalyptic piece you might expect from the late 1960s, but is nonetheless evocative. It begins, 'i have stridden the fuming way / of sun-hammered tracks and / smashed cinders,' as we follow the slow nighttime progress of a smudgy man traversing a moonlit America of busted merry-go-rounds, dilapidated trains, and agonized cemeteries. Wordless pages fill out the five-stanza poem, with Chadbourne's flat, snarled pencilwork hiding snakes, spiders, rats, and faces in every twisted tableau. It's all suitably ominous, and bewitched fans will be able to draw a direct line between this and The Gunslinger (1982)."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

While I am happy for CD I am more excited for Glenn!!! A nicer and more talented artist you will never meet!!!! You go, Glenn!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just received mine today - very nice!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What's up with Chadbourne not being credited on the book's front cover? Because really, this is a Glenn Chadbourne book with a Stephen King poem in it.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Because King's name will sell the book more than Chadbourne's.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Because King's name will sell the book more than Chadbourne's.
    Undeniably true.

What, then, is the explanation for it not being on the interior title pages?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Burnette View Post
    What's up with Chadbourne not being credited on the book's front cover? Because really, this is a Glenn Chadbourne book with a Stephen King poem in it.
    Glenn's preference was to be credited on the copyright page and let the artwork speak for itself.

Brian

Country
    Country Flag

Glenn's preference was to be credited on the copyright page and let the artwork speak for itself.
    Well, it certainly does that.

Well, it certainly does that.
    I was surprised that you were the first person to ask about this (his name on the cover, etc) because I thought about it a lot over the last year, but Glenn is such a cool, humble guy that I know *I* thought about it a lot more than he did.

Brian

Country
    Country Flag

He sounds like a class act, no doubt about it.

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He sounds like a class act, no doubt about it.
    I, for one, can certainly vouch for that particular statement
    We all float down here!

I've posted some photos of the signed editions of The Dark Man, which will begin shipping this week:

You can view the rest here if you're interested:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/201...n-king-photos/

Brian

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome Brian. can't hardly wait to receive my copies !!!
    We all float down here!

First Photos of The Dark Man Deluxe Oversized Signed Limited Edition Artwork Portfolio:

http://www.brianjamesfreeman.com/201...ork-portfolio/

Brian

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't wait to get my copy!

John

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet job Brian! Can't wait!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This must be sold out... Will be now after people see the job they did! CD IS THE BEST!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but is the poem included at all in this? Perhaps just as one sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but is the poem included at all in this? Perhaps just as one sheet?
    That's a great question and the answer is, unfortunately, no because it wasn't possible under the terms of the contract for the book.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast