Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying things specifically to sell for a profit.

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

I think its suffice to say we will agree to disagree. I'm still going to flip books when I can and you will continue to not like it. It happens.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I've flipped one book (according to another member here the count would be two, however, he forgot that my order for the second s/l Joyland was canceled). I agree with most of what T-dogz and Frankie say, though not that firey.

I still laugh at the guy on ebay who has a huge stack of Dr. Sleep s/l and hasn't sold them. Kinda backfired there. Then there is mr. Fat catz on ebay who has something like 10-15 s/l joylands listed for 6,000 bucks.

Along the Path of the Beam Highbury is on a distinguished road Highbury's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    So if I bought two copies and sold one for twice the cover price in order to cover the costs of my order its okay but if I sold both its not correct?
    I have no interest in commenting on what is correct and incorrect but if the rule is 1 per customer household address, to me its clear that a decision has to be made to find a way to buy 1 copy or walk away and accept the fact you the buyer may not be in a financial position to afford that copy.

And Frankie in the nicest way I can only speak to what Brian has said and that is you struggle with the marketplace in general I think. It doesn't matter what it is, supply and demand and scarcity rules all. No room for warm and fuzzy feelings although that doesn't mean you can't find a cool story and i'd say its safe to say its happened on this forum before or why would anyone want to be here. And I haven't even been around long.

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

I wasn't referring to the situation where you can only order one copy. If I am only permitted to purchase one copy of a book that is what I buy. I have no interest in trying to beat the system

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
    So if I bought two copies and sold one for twice the cover price in order to cover the costs of my order its okay but if I sold both its not correct?
    I have no interest in commenting on what is correct and incorrect but if the rule is 1 per customer household address, to me its clear that a decision has to be made to find a way to buy 1 copy or walk away and accept the fact you the buyer may not be in a financial position to afford that copy.

And Frankie in the nicest way I can only speak to what Brian has said and that is you struggle with the marketplace in general I think. It doesn't matter what it is, supply and demand and scarcity rules all.
    PS should put every copy of Carrie on eBay one at a time I guess then.

although that doesn't mean you can't find a cool story and i'd say its safe to say its happened on this forum before or why would anyone want to be here. And I haven't even been around long.
    I'm not even really sure what you're saying here.

Along the Path of the Beam Highbury is on a distinguished road Highbury's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What I am saying is that the marketplace is what it is. As long as someone is willing to pay and meet the demand set by whoever is selling, why argue it. It seems cold and cruel to some maybe but it doesn't mean good deals and transactions can't be made, they happen here.

That is what I am saying, briefly speaking.

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
    What I am saying is that the marketplace is what it is. As long as someone is willing to pay and meet the demand set by whoever is selling, why argue it. It seems cold and cruel to some maybe but it doesn't mean good deals and transactions can't be made, they happen here.

That is what I am saying, briefly speaking.
    It isn't the marketplace that bothers me. If PS prices them such that they can only find 26 people that even want to buy one and it means I don't even want one because they're so expensive, then bully for them. They nailed it. Glad they're making tons of profits, because maybe it means I'll continue to get their cheaper books from them for a long time.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    So am I a flipper or providing a valuable service for member on the forum:

On california book day - a new story by Neil Gaiman was published in a HC - first and only time it will be published as a stand alone. Only sold in 93 CA bookstores one one single day. After that - any unsold the following day are shipped back to publisher - never to be seen again. So I call around to local bookstores and I find one that has 9 copies. It is near the end of the day - and they are able to sell me all 9 copies - which i gladly buy. I then turn around and offer the books to everyone here first - and make about $5-10 per book on my end (less after you consider packing materials, etc - but i never include that kinda stuff). Now whatever is left after these books sell - I then put up on ebay for a slightly higher profit - to cover the rest of the books that i purchased from that indie bookstore. Most copies sell here - but a few go up on the bay.

So where does that put me in this stream of logic?
    Right where you should be.

A creative collector, a fine friend and a flippin' flipper! 8)
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God is loved more than Jesus God's Avatar

On california book day - a new story by Neil Gaiman was published in a HC - first and only time it will be published as a stand alone. Only sold in 93 CA bookstores one one single day. After that - any unsold the following day are shipped back to publisher - never to be seen again. So I call around to local bookstores and I find one that has 9 copies. It is near the end of the day - and they are able to sell me all 9 copies - which i gladly buy. I then turn around and offer the books to everyone here first - and make about $5-10 per book on my end (less after you consider packing materials, etc - but i never include that kinda stuff). Now whatever is left after these books sell - I then put up on ebay for a slightly higher profit - to cover the rest of the books that i purchased from that indie bookstore. Most copies sell here - but a few go up on the bay.

Either at the pulpit, or in hell...

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonUK View Post
    If scalping is seen as an acceptable business practice, why is it illegal (or otherwise prohibited) in several countries and US states?
    It is not illegal in the US. It is perfectly legal almost everywhere in the US except at the venue.
    And isn't the venue restriction more to avoid the sale of fake tickets?
    I'm not certain. I think it has more to do with previously scanned real tickets. The criminal "scalper" would enter the venue and collect tickets that had already been scanned. Since they can only be used once the previously scanned tickets are useless. The thief would then walk back out front of the venue and sell these "real" tickets that would not work for admittance. Of course the result of making it illegal to sell tickets at the venue is that the scalpers and the thieves go to adjacent areas to sell their tickets. It makes it harder for the legal scalpers and easier for the criminals.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

Buy book from PS: 60 seconds?
    Get book, open package, take pictures, put back in package: 3 minutes?
    Place ebay ad: 3 minutes?
    Drop package off at the PO after it sells: 5 minutes?
    It takes quite a bit longer than that to sell a book on Ebay and then package and ship it if you do it well. It takes me longer than that to unpack a book. That is all.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

Buy book from PS: 60 seconds?
    Get book, open package, take pictures, put back in package: 3 minutes?
    Place ebay ad: 3 minutes?
    Drop package off at the PO after it sells: 5 minutes?
    It takes quite a bit longer than that to sell a book on Ebay and then package and ship it if you do it well. It takes me longer than that to unpack a book. That is all.
    How long? Keep in mind you just got the book from PS, presumably well packaged. Unless the packaging was nearly destroyed I think most people are just going to put it right back in the same package.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post

Either at the pulpit, or in hell...
    Heh

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I was one of Chad's buyers. I consider him a friend. I appreciate that he took it upon himself to get educated about this event, reach out to people who share his appreciation of the author, and committ the time, effort, and funding to secure a supply of the items before knowing whether there was a market. At the end of a busy day with my kids, I was very happy to hear from Chad as I had missed it completely and had no free time that day even if I had known. If I can toss him an extra $5-$10 for his efforts in getting me one of the books (retail price below $20), I am more than happy to do so. Heck, he even mails stuff to my home. Doesn't get any easier than that!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I hope all you guys who are selling books are paying your taxes. The IRS needs your money to pay for foreign aid.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I hope all you guys who are selling books are paying your taxes. The IRS needs your money to pay for foreign aid.
    I'm keeping tabs on it around here somewhere.

I'm sure I can come up with something, hmmm, I mean, um, find the ledger when audited.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the UK tax laws on collectibles:

Capital Gains Tax is due on any gains you make from the sale of collectibles for £6,000 or more. The £6,000 limit applies for both single items and sets, such as a set of chairs or chessmen or case of fine wine. However, the tax is only due after taking into account your Capital Gains Tax allowances. You can deduct things like sale and purchase costs from your profits, but not things like maintenance and storage costs.

If you buy or sell a lot you might be considered a trader rather than an investor for tax purposes. In this case you’ll pay Income Tax, on your profits, not Capital Gains Tax.

EDIT: I think I'm safe from the taxman. I can't think of a book that will make me £6k after I deduct the purchase price! (other than that 'salem's Lot $8.95 'my friend' thought he found )
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I have bought some books related to my field that I have written off my taxes, but my trusty accountant won't let me write off my Stephen King books. He'd be cooler if he would, but I pay him so I don't get audited. When I can write off the expenses and purchases, I will claim the income.

Imagine what I could buy if I could write off my books as investments?!

I think its suffice to say we will agree to disagree. I'm still going to flip books when I can and you will continue to not like it. It happens.
    Works for me. And I apologize to everyone for the sleaze comment. I honestly never intended to imply that anyone that does it is actually themselves sleazy, but obviously it came across that way. Upon further reflection on the arguments made in this thread by everyone, it wasn't the right word to use (and even if I felt that way, I could have worded it in a less antagonistic and insulting manner). I still don't like it, but it isn't sleazy.

My Mood
    Devilish

No hard feelings Frankie. You seem like a good guy

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

WTF, I can't take a week off without all of this drama (fun ).

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Don't sweat it, RF. As usual, God had your back!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    we all kept waiting for you to chime in
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't wait for Frankie to ever want to sell some of his collection. Looking forward to Gunslingers and Carrie first editions at issue price....

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That's not even close to what he was saying.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast