Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying things specifically to sell for a profit.

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

I saw tiny Tim reaching for a ps4 and knocked his ass right over and sold it for profit. That'll teach the bastard

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Tiny Tim never had a chance

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Purely out of curiosity, besides the terminology, is there a difference between "flippers" and "scalpers" or is one just a nicer term for the other?
    Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    They are the same thing! (At the time of the event)
    They are essentially the same activity, just focused on different products. The nomenclature doesn't really matter to me. We could call them Day Traders (remember when that was a thing?) and it would be the same thing. They are purchasing a form of completed product (concert ticket, book, share of stock, etc.) with the intent to sell quickly as soon as the profit picture meets their personal goal. They take that highly speculative financial risk and expect to get paid for taking that risk. Sometimes they do, other times they don't.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

It's called arbitrage.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    It's called arbitrage.
    Yes. We should call them arbitrageurs.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Someone mentioned how easy it is to by a book now, just a couple clicks and it's yours. Everyone, flippers and collectors alike, has the chance to get a copy of a book (or tickets, gaming systems, etc.) when it is placed on sale online. Just be awake and on the sellers site when it's go time. It's a different thing when someone's career is flipping items and they have the time to wait outside a bestbuy or toys r us, to purchase that seasons hot time, or buy 100 happy meals to get those mini beanie babies. That always bothered me.

People generally get these things online now. I ordered a ps4 when it went up for preorder back in June. My friend had 3-4 months before it sold out. He bought one on eBay for a premium on release day. Was it wrong for the flipper to charge the premium, no, because my friend had ample opportunity to order one and didn't.

The flippers and collectors have equal opportunity to buy Carrie when it goes up for sale. If you miss out, that sucks. And if you want one badly enough you will get one from some random guy on eBay. The market sets the price and if someone wants to pay 2k over retail, so be it.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

And to those who are bothered by flippers try and get a copy and sell it to someone who wants it, at retail. Beat the flippers at their own game.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    It's not like I said "scumbag pieces of shit" like the quote in the first post of this thread.
    I actually had to double-check the first post because I knew I started this thread and didn't remember saying that.

Someone else said it and I quoted it.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Also, FWIW, I kind of regret starting this thread here. I didn’t realize at the time that Calivn’s Corner was the collector’s part of the site and almost separate from the rest of the site.

My originally point wasn’t so much about books but about the people that create a secondary market over things that aren’t even considered collectible until they are sold out at stores like toys or games or dolls that are specifically meant for kids.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I find it fascinating to see different people's take on the subject

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

I wonder why PS doesn't just sell half the copies of Carrie to CD and then CD can charge 3 grand over list for them, and then CD can reciprocate on their next book. Win win. Have they just not thought of doing it before? Or you think there's some other reason?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Closet Flipper"

Now that's funny!

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Purely out of curiosity, besides the terminology, is there a difference between "flippers" and "scalpers" or is one just a nicer term for the other?
    There is a difference between a book and a ticket. So yes there is a difference. Is there a difference between "flippers" and booksellers? No
    I highly disagree with you about booksellers. Booksellers are there, literally, to make a profit off selling books. I'm a professional at a children's hospital. I'm not buying books intentionally to gouge customers in the other end and make a profit. Bookstores exist because they literally have one thing to do, sell books. Also, they charge cover price on books unless you are dealing with a specialty shop. Even then most charge issue price for new books. For example, Camelot sold over 70 sets of ACoK at issue price for their customers. They could have made massive profits of that book, but they didn't.

The only difference between those that flip books and tickets are the physical object they are reselling. Scalpers practices are just as disagreeable to me.

On the issue of intent, this is an extreme example, but one nonetheless. You can have assault with intent to do bodily harm/kill. Or you can have just plain assault. Not saying this is at all applicable, but I think that intent is very important.

I think there is a lot to be said about people's intentions. Devious or not, some people will disagree with your intentions and some won't.
    Somebody gets it. Thank you, sincerely.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

Frodo and "The" Flipper!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That was at least a half hour of quality read time. Not weighing in--just appreciating the conversation!

BTW, where in the hell is RF?!

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not buying books intentionally to gouge customers in the other end and make a profit.

The only difference between those that flip books and tickets are the physical object they are reselling.

Scalpers practices are just as disagreeable to me.
    July of last year, you offered to sell me a S/L Joyland for $275 cash PLUS my unsigned Joyland. So in other words, you wanted $275 plus a book that I paid $40 for (by my calculation that makes $315), for a book you paid $80 for (a little more if you bought it from Titan in the UK). How is you offering to sell me a book for four times what you paid for it any different than what you are criticizing here?

Look, I have no problem with what you did, but don't come in here and refer to behavior of those that resell as disagreeable when you have done the same thing.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I'm not buying books intentionally to gouge customers in the other end and make a profit.

The only difference between those that flip books and tickets are the physical object they are reselling.

July of last year, you offered to sell me a S/L Joyland for $275 cash PLUS my unsigned Joyland. So in other words, you wanted $275 plus a book that I paid $40 for (by my calculation that makes $315), for a book you paid $80 for (a little more if you bought it from Titan in the UK). How is you offering to sell me a book for four times what you paid for it any different than what you are criticizing here?

Look, I have no problem with what you did, but don't come in here and refer to behavior of those that resell as disagreeable when you have done the same thing.
    WOW! To think I sold my LETTERED copy of Joyland for £165 (approx. $275) + postage.

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    They are the same thing! (At the time of the event)
    They are essentially the same activity, just focused on different products. The nomenclature doesn't really matter to me. We could call them Day Traders (remember when that was a thing?) and it would be the same thing. They are purchasing a form of completed product (concert ticket, book, share of stock, etc.) with the intent to sell quickly as soon as the profit picture meets their personal goal. They take that highly speculative financial risk and expect to get paid for taking that risk. Sometimes they do, other times they don't.
    If scalping is seen as an acceptable business practice, why is it illegal (or otherwise prohibited) in several countries and US states?

Along the Path of the Beam Highbury is on a distinguished road Highbury's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps because someone is making a profit and not subject to tax. Maybe this helps define the bookseller that some struggle with. If you are registered business and pay your share of tax in operating that business this offers some credit. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

WOW! To think I sold my LETTERED copy of Joyland for £165 (approx. $275) + postage.
    Why did you sell it for that?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JasonUK View Post
    If scalping is seen as an acceptable business practice, why is it illegal (or otherwise prohibited) in several countries and US states?
    It is not illegal in the US. It is perfectly legal almost everywhere in the US except at the venue.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
    Perhaps because someone is making a profit and not subject to tax. Maybe this helps define the bookseller that some struggle with. If you are registered business and pay your share of tax in operating that business this offers some credit. Just a thought that crossed my mind.
    There is little difference between a business buying and selling and an individual "investor" buying and selling. There are taxes due on the profit regardless.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

You sold an SK signed lettered edition of a book that was generally regarded at the time to be the bargain of the century for little more than cover price? You are either the most altruistic individual on the planet or incredibly short sighted. Either way, any regrets?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

You sold an SK signed lettered edition of a book that was generally regarded at the time to be the bargain of the century for little more than cover price? You are either the most altruistic individual on the planet or incredibly short sighted. Either way, any regrets?
    That is what I am saying... you selling anything else T Dogz?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Along the Path of the Beam Highbury is on a distinguished road Highbury's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
    There is little difference between a business buying and selling and an individual "investor" buying and selling. There are taxes due on the profit regardless.
    I see a difference between a registered business and one who puts something in the classified section of this forum. If I sold something for a profit that wasn't significant I'm not certain it would be caught.

I am simply separating the two because as Joe pointed out that anyone can acquire a book and be a seller if they see the demand for it. And I would be surprised that many treat themselves as a tax paying business, some do of course but i'm sure many do it on the side just like the car guy I pay to do my brakes. I used to view a favorable book seller as brick and mortar and time has changed, there is access for everyone and very little overhead depending on how much you dabble.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast