Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New King essay "Guns" available as Kindle Single

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The audiobook will be released on CD on April 23: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1480522821/
    I am surprised he is not reading it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

King has a sort of addendum to "Guns" over at The Bangor Daily News:

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/03/2...-gun-violence/
    Like most of the bloodthirsty dodo-birds who feel an urge to take out as many people as possible before killing themselves, James Seevakumaran had a simple plan: pull a fire alarm in his University of Central Florida dormitory on Monday, and, when the students ran out, he’d kill as many as possible. He had a bunch of explosives that probably wouldn’t have worked — they weren’t fully wired — but he also had guns that would have: a .45 Hi-Point semi-automatic pistol and another of those damned assault rifles, in this case an American Tech .22 with a 28-cartridge clip, small enough to fit into a gym bag.

This time it didn’t happen, because one of Seevakumaran’s roommates became suspicious, locked himself in the bathroom and dialed 911. When Seevakumaran saw the police arriving, he killed himself and no one else. A happy ending of sorts, if you consider the possible alternatives.

At UCF, luck was with the good guys. At Sandy Hook Elementary School, not so much. In that case a lot of good guys and girls — little good guys and girls — were senselessly slaughtered before they could even finish collecting from the Tooth Fairy on their baby teeth. Not fair. Not fair at all.

In the wake of Sandy Hook, I wrote an essay called “Guns,” and published it as a Kindle Single — an e-book, in other words — because I wanted to be a part of the discussion before the whole subject slipped from the consciousness (and consciences) of the American people. It has a way of doing that, you know; the National Rifle Association counts on it.

What I asked for in that piece — what I almost begged for — was that we Americans find some middle ground on the subject of heavy-duty firearms. Just a small median strip of rationality between the honking freeway lanes jammed with those on the political right and the political left. According to polls, the majority of Americans would really like a place like that, where a rational discussion could be held without raised voices.

I pointed out that I’m dead against repeal of the Second Amendment, since I’m a gun owner myself. I also pointed out that a deer hunter who feels it necessary to go into the woods armed with a 30-round AR-15 must either have poor aim or is afraid the deer are going to fight back. I refused to go on any of the cable news programs — both those on the right that would have been happy to attack me or the ones on the left that would have been delighted to praise me.

The response to that essay has been strong but, in many ways, depressing. There have been more than 1,300 capsule reviews on the Amazon website. A thousand have been favorable (834 five-star reviews, 205 four-star reviews). More than 200 have been unfavorable (160 one-star reviews, 49 two-star reviews). In the middle, the place I really wanted to reach, less than 90. If you need a statistical example of how polarized the country is, there it is.

We’ve got two vocal political blocs in the United States right now, and all they do is yell at each other. Not only about guns, either. It’s the debt, it’s abortion, it’s immigration reform, it’s entitlements like Medicare and Social Security, it’s foreign policy, it’s Obama (the bum) and John Boehner (the bum). My God, we’ve got people still arguing over weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and whether or not the president is an American citizen. Sometimes I wish they’d all just grow up, shut up and go about the business of helping their fellow men and women.

Here’s another depressing factoid: Most of the five-star reviews of “Guns” are marked “Amazon Verified Purchase,” which means the reviewer actually bought the download and (presumably) read it. That’s the case with very few of the one-star reviews, suggesting that the reviewers either read excerpts in a newspaper article or didn’t read it at all. There are assertions that my facts are wrong but little in the way of backing evidence.

What there seems to be in the one-stars is an all-encompassing anger and the irrational belief that I want Americans stripped of their guns. That is simply not true (nor would it be feasible). I argued for three things: universal background checks, a ban on the retail sale of semi-auto assault rifles geared to fire large magazines of ammunition and a ban on mags holding more than 10 rounds. Everyone else keeps their deer rifles, shotguns, revolvers and automatic pistols. All I want is to make it a little more difficult for the Adam Lanzas and James Seevakumarans to kill unarmed civilians and innocent children. Why in the name of God should that be controversial?

Many of my anti-fans are also mad about where my share of the proceeds from “Guns” is going. One of them, a Mr. or Ms. C. Henderson, writes, “All of this is a way for Stephen King to … give money to an organization … whose avowed purpose is to strip Americans of their Second Amendment rights.”

Mr. or Ms. Henderson seems to have missed the fact that the organization in question is the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, not the Brady Campaign to Repeal the Second Amendment. Stop with the paranoia, please. The BC’s mission statement simply says, “We are devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at work, and in our communities.” That’s a lot different from saying, “We are devoted to creating an America free from guns.”

Look, most Americans want these simple laws, so let’s make them. If they run counter to the Second Amendment, the Supreme Court will eventually overturn them. If they stand (they probably will), the hunters can still hunt, the target shooters can still shoot, and homeowners can still have a weapon or two at hand for defense and protection. The rest of us will be a little safer.

There are no guarantees in life; nothing’s a lock. I think we all understand that. You can outlaw AR-15s, but you can’t outlaw crazy. The next Adam Lanza is out there somewhere, the next Seung-Hui Cho, the next James Holmes. The job we all have, as responsible Americans, is to make it as hard for these loonies as possible.

Can we at least find a middle ground on that?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very, very interesting!

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...ne-gun-control

Stephen King, who made his views about gun control clear earlier this year in a passionate essay describing automatic and semi-automatic firearms as "weapons of mass destruction", has made a "substantial" donation to a Maine group advocating limitations on gun ownership.

The Coalition for a Safer Maine supports legislation calling for greater background checks on gun owners, a ban on the size of magazines that can be sold and a strengthening of the prohibition of the sale of guns to those judged to be mentally ill. It said in a statement on its website that it had received a "substantial donation" from King and his wife (and fellow author) Tabitha King, and that the couple backed its support of gun control legislation.

"We are grateful for the generous support of Mr and Mrs King at this pivotal moment in our efforts to establish common-sense gun regulations in Maine," said Larry Gilbert, former mayor of Lewiston, former federal marshal and co-chair of the Coalition for a Safer Maine.

"Mr King strongly defends the Second Amendment and acts accordingly – he owns three handguns. And as a gun owner, he believes the right is also a responsibility that should be safeguarded by sensible laws, such as expanding background checks and banning the sale of high-capacity ammunition magazines," added Paula Silsby, former US attorney and co-chair of the Coalition.

King himself told the Associated Press that the gift was "five figures", but wouldn't comment further because "charity's supposed to be a private thing".

In his February essay, Guns, King wrote that "political discourse as it once existed in America has given way to useless screaming".

"Autos and semi-autos are weapons of mass destruction. When lunatics want to make war on the unarmed and unprepared, these are the weapons they use," he wrote. "I have nothing against gun owners, sport shooters or hunters, but semi-automatic weapons have only two purposes. One is so that owners can take them to the shooting range once in a while, yell yeehaw and get all horny at the rapid fire and the burning vapour spurting from the end of the barrel. Their other use – their only other use – is to kill people."

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default King and gun owners: old feud or new beef?

I've seen videos like these on Youtube quite a few times before. The comments they tend to generate are often disparaging towards Stephen King either because his real-life stance on gun ownership veers towards tight restriction or because the man doesn't have a perfect grasp of firearm-related terminology (magazine versus clip, for instance).

Then there are the gun forums. Hoo boy. If a discussion comes up in regards to the sandalwood revolvers (mostly to inquire about their true caliber) or pretty much anything firearm related (like the "docker's clutch" in The Drawing of the Three), eventually someone will bring up the fact that Mr. King's views don't align with theirs and suddenly everyone starts badmouthing the guy in various hideous ways.

What I want to know, then, is this: has he had this rep among gun owners for a long while, or is this a (relatively) recent phenomenon?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVuD5oskPg

I've seen videos like these on Youtube quite a few times before. The comments they tend to generate are often disparaging towards Stephen King either because his real-life stance on gun ownership veers towards tight restriction or because the man doesn't have a perfect grasp of firearm-related terminology (magazine versus clip, for instance).

Then there are the gun forums. Hoo boy. If a discussion comes up in regards to the sandalwood revolvers (mostly to inquire about their true caliber) or pretty much anything firearm related (like the "docker's clutch" in The Drawing of the Three), eventually someone will bring up the fact that Mr. King's views don't align with theirs and suddenly everyone starts badmouthing the guy in various hideous ways.

What I want to know, then, is this: has he had this rep among gun owners for a long while, or is this a (relatively) recent phenomenon?
    He has for quite some time now IMHO and to my knowledge. Let me also state that I am not a gun advocate.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That video is both sad and hilarious.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It certainly goes back as far as the info in this thread (which this new thread is likely to be merged into):
    New King essay "Guns" available as Kindle Single

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

$.99
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It certainly goes back as far as the info in this thread (which this new thread is likely to be merged into):
    New King essay "Guns" available as Kindle Single
    I didn't notice the "master" thread before. Whoops! Kudos for the merge.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    That video is both sad and hilarious.
    My assessment leans more towards the former. The shooter apparently substituted part of his own ego for that of an inanimate object.

Also, there is something darkly symbolic about a tool of destruction being used to obliterate knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3