Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 182 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 4536

Thread: PS Publishing - Stephen King Anniversary Editions

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I'm a sucker so I'm getting both.
    I've bought ALL kinds of special editions of books that were already published as a special edition, and it's either because I'm a sucker like you (VERY possible) or because I appreciate the care and effort the publisher put into the new edition of a book I really love. For me, there's a big difference between sticking a numbered signature sheet into a trade edition and producing a brand new edition with a different look and take on the work.

As was noted above, clearly no one is forced to buy anything, especially not a book. Everyone has their own reason or reasons for buying the books they do.

I'll be buying all of the King books Pete can publish because I know he loves producing beautiful books as much as I do and his editions present the work in a new and interesting way, IMHO. Obviously, I hope other collectors agree with me and will support what Pete is doing, but I certainly understand there are lots of reasons why someone might pass on these editions -- just like there are lots of reasons someone might pass on the Doubleday Years set that we're publishing at CD! Some people love the idea of the set of books we're publishing and some people aren't into the idea at all. There is no right or wrong when it comes to this sort of thing. Everyone's opinion is valid.

I'm particularly exciting about Pete's edition of 'SALEM'S LOT. As someone who may have pitched a very similar idea for DIFFERENT SEASONS once upon a time, I think it's a neat way to approach the book.

Just my 2 cents, of course! And 2 cents won't get you far these days...

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    [As someone who may have pitched a very similar idea for DIFFERENT SEASONS once upon a time, I think it's a neat way to approach the book.
    Ooh, do tell.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    ...I wish King would shut it down...
    To my knowledge (and I remember reading this somewhere here), King doesn't have a say as to what limiteds are done (at least as it pertains to books whose publishing rights belong to a publishing house). It's the publisher that holds the rights and permits a limited to be completed.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Sorry, but that's not true.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the input Brian, I think you're correct. I haven't bought every PS book, though I have grabbed a few, no one is forced to buy any book they do not want, even if they feel the need that is their decision. I like the idea of the 3 volume version of 'Salem's Lot, despite owning the CP edition and pre-ordering the CD edition, I will order this one too. I did end up skipping on Skeleton Crew though, the "gift" edition missing The Revelations of 'Becka Paulson was a major faux pas in my opinion. But hey the decision's mine to make, others may have jump on it.

Here's an interesting question: Would anyone here be interested in a new limited/gift set of the Dark Tower series, maybe something done like CD's Doubleday Years or PS's anniversary editions? Or would that be overboard?

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

@ Theli

Strictly from the perspective of a new collector, one unlikey to ever have a complete Grant set, i would be all in favor of a new limited DT printing. When i look at a set of books on a shelf and see that they all have a similar design on the spines i get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that they are part of the same series. Right now, when i look at my set of mixed Viking and Grant, i love the fact that i have them, but i still have a feeling of....incompleteness.

Of course that could all be symptomatic of some flavor of OCD as well.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Can you expand on that, Bev?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Nothing is ever done with a book without the author's permission and full agreement. It's all handled by contract. A publisher can't do a limited edition if the author hasn't agreed to it. The publisher can't force an author to sign a limited edition if the author hasn't agreed to it as part of the contract. The contract specifies exactly what the publisher can and cannot do--what rights are being assigned to them.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Nothing is ever done with a book without the author's permission and full agreement. It's all handled by contract. A publisher can't do a limited edition if the author hasn't agreed to it. The publisher can't force an author to sign a limited edition if the author hasn't agreed to it as part of the contract. The contract specifies exactly what the publisher can and cannot do--what rights are being assigned to them.
    Thanks, Bev. I thought as much, but I'm not in the "Biz" so to speak. Good to hear from an authority.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the clarification. I could have sworn I read that here.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I could have sworn I read that here.
    One of the unique things about this site. Folks like, Bev actually post and inter mingle here. Many thanks, Bev!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Here's an interesting question: Would anyone here be interested in a new limited/gift set of the Dark Tower series, maybe something done like CD's Doubleday Years or PS's anniversary editions? Or would that be overboard?
    Yes, it would be.
    But I wouldn't hesitate for one single moment to sign up for a complete set.

sk

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree... A GE set of the Dark Tower done right would be amazing... Would love CD to do this too... And do something out of the box kinda thing...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree... A GE set of the Dark Tower done right would be amazing... Would love CD to do this too... And do something out of the box kinda thing...
    I hope they do a "Viking Years" set. All my favourite Stephen King books are in the Viking era....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Re-printing the Dark Tower series seems like a great idea to me. I wonder what the arrangement is with DMG regarding the rights and such. Is DMG the only publisher that can print these stories, or is there wiggle room? Very interesting idea IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like I'm the only one here thinking less reprints please. I do see the appeal of a DT or Viking set, but there is only so much disposable income to drop on books and I would rather spend it on the original S/L's, etc. as opposed to reprints. Just my opinion.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Looks like I'm the only one here thinking less reprints please. I do see the appeal of a DT or Viking set, but there is only so much disposable income to drop on books and I would rather spend it on the original S/L's, etc. as opposed to reprints. Just my opinion.
    I hear you, but a uniform, well done GE of the entire DT series is very appealing for sure. I generally do not cotton to all these reprints myself, but that one I would definitely go for in a heart beat.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    How is the completion of the Deluxe Thinner shaping up Pete? Light at the end of the tunnel?
    BUMP

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How is the completion of the Deluxe Thinner shaping up Pete? Light at the end of the tunnel?
    BUMP
    After a quick check, it seems Pete has not logged onto this site since 28th July.....

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    I hope they do a "Viking Years" set. All my favourite Stephen King books are in the Viking era....
    Yes, there are plenty of deserving mid-career books that haven't gotten any kind of special attention first, BUT there IS a certain attraction to having a nice UNIFORM set of DT novel rather than/as well as the Grants which, amazing as they are, are a bit of a challenge for my brain that craves uniformity in a "set".
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing you are. Less to catch up with the disposable income. Before we know it, there will be 10 different editions of The Cell. Why?! lol
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I agree as well, although my opinion does not really matter because I'm not buying most of them anyway. But I do like it when something interesting is done with the book, like the three-novella version of 'Salem's Lot. If the artwork on that one looks good I will get a copy. People tend to compare PS and CD in terms of production values but I think PS does a better job in terms of creativity.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I agree as well, although my opinion does not really matter because I'm not buying most of them anyway. But I do like it when something interesting is done with the book, like the three-novella version of 'Salem's Lot. If the artwork on that one looks good I will get a copy. People tend to compare PS and CD in terms of production values but I think PS does a better job in terms of creativity.
    Really??? I have to disagree. Let's just compare the last Lettered from PS... Carrie... NOTHING stands out for this book at all. Now lets look at CD's Carrie... although not signed.. it was a much nicer looking book and much better made. I am not sure "more creative" is what I would say...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

.. it was a much nicer looking book and much better made.
    I would say those are 'production values'. I'm not saying that each and every PS book is put together in a creative way but I like their idea for 'Salem's Lot and I love what they did with the multiple Colorado Kid editions. I also really like the various slipcases of the recent PS reissues. And I love the looks of the forthcoming Joe Hill reprint (the slipcase especially, again).

To me those things are more interesting than using a certain paper stock or binding. When I look at CDs books (especially the lettereds with their decadent satin-lined traycases) I just go 'mehhh'.

But hey, to each their own, right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 182 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 ... LastLast