Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 182 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 175 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 4536

Thread: PS Publishing - Stephen King Anniversary Editions

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    in your humble opinion is it worth the $4500 you spent for it? I have one coming soon.
    I've been collecting since the late '80s and have a large library of beloved books and consider myself bitten with the collector bug as bad any the next guy, but I just can't imagine any book being worth $4500. More power to those who have the desire and budget to do so, but -- for me -- the cost/reward ratio just doesn't work.

Beautiful book, though.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    ... I just can't imagine any book being worth $4500.
    ...Beautiful book, though.
    I concur on both points!

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

in your humble opinion is it worth the $4500 you spent for it? I have one coming soon.
    I've been collecting since the late '80s and have a large library of beloved books and consider myself bitten with the collector bug as bad any the next guy, but I just can't imagine any book being worth $4500. More power to those who have the desire and budget to do so, but -- for me -- the cost/reward ratio just doesn't work.

Beautiful book, though.
    S/L Gunslinger worth $4,500?

Distribution of 500 and identical to the 1st Edition with the exception of the Signature page...

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

No. I recognize objectively that those values exist and some are willing to pay them, but, for me, I do not hold any book to be worth that kind of the expenditure.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post

Beautiful book, though.

Distribution of 500 and identical to the 1st Edition with the exception of the Signature page...
    I'd never pay it but more power to those who could...or would. I wouldn't pay that if Stephen King hand delivered it and read it to me in bed. I wouldn't pay that much for a bible if god himself signed it.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Back on topic. My bad.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The issue price was $60 and the S/L is a nicer beige-colored book with slipcase while the 1st is maroon-colored.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post

Beautiful book, though.

I'd never pay it but more power to those who could...or would. I wouldn't pay that if Stephen King hand delivered it and read it to me in bed. I wouldn't pay that much for a bible if god himself signed it.
    What if Stephen King AND God hand delivered first editions to you and read from each other's writings?
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    What if . . . God hand delivered first editions to you and read from [His] writings?
    If I sold it for a quick flip*, would I go to Hell?

* ...so I can finally afford the S/L of THE STAND, the only book that might -- might! -- cause me someday to spend four figures.

Gunslinger Apprentice pete at pspublishing is a jewel in the rough pete at pspublishing is a jewel in the rough pete at pspublishing is a jewel in the rough pete at pspublishing is a jewel in the rough pete at pspublishing's Avatar

Interesting points being made. I guess it all boils down to personal preference. But I do feel this whole 'It's not worth such and such" argument is slightly spurious. One could just as easily say why spend several million dollars on a piece of original art when you could buy a print of that very piece for just a few bucks. Or why buy a convertible top-of-the range car for $100,000 (or more!) when all it has is exactly what all cars have: four wheels, a steering wheel etc etc etc. It's difficult to know what one means when one says something isn't worth the price it sells for because that sale inevitably means that that is exactly what it's worth. Its worth whatever people are prepared to pay for it. And that's it in a nutshell . . . coupled, maybe, with the old spectre of affordability. If I had the money, then I'd pay tens of thousands of dollars for complete runs of DC's old STRANGE ADVENTURES and MYSTERY IN SPACE comic books and the sole reason that I DON'T buy them is cos I just don't have the available money. One day, perhaps. And if anyone were to ask me if I thought they were worth what I'd paid for them then I know damn well what I'd say. They were worth exactly what I was prepared to pay for them and just because someone else--or MANY someone else's--wasn't prepared to fork out that amount matters diddly squat. In the case of the deluxe CARRIE, 26 people were prepared to pay $4,250 so the way I figure it, that's what it's worth. Or rather, that's what it's worth NOW. We may yet find out it's worth even more than that. Let's wait and see. Meanwhile, as I said at the start, interesting points. Best wishes -- Pete

Absolutely, Pete. Cost is objective; value is subjective. My comments reflected only my personal, subjective perception of value as it relates to books…any book.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    What if . . . God hand delivered first editions to you and read from [His] writings?
    If I sold it for a quick flip*, would I go to Hell?

* ...so I can finally afford the S/L of THE STAND, the only book that might -- might! -- cause me someday to spend four figures.

Maybe, but if you could get Him to sign it? Now THAT would be a true S/L!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone see one on the open market for sale yet?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Anyone see one on the open market for sale yet?
    Not yet, but I would think some will appear very soon...

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post

Beautiful book, though.

There would be fewer rules and less security for God than SK if his last book tour was any sign. And you would have to make room for 30-50 book store minions to monitor your every movement if King showed up.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Pete, out of curiosity, seeing as how each book is unique (each having its letter printed or embossed throughout the production), how will you handle a damaged book that needs replacing? I'm sure they are packed well but we all now how the post office handles things.

Edit: I'm not trying to be snarky by the way, just interested in the workings of a small press publisher regarding a book like this with only 30 copies.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Pete, out of curiosity, seeing as how each book is unique (each having its letter printed or embossed throughout the production), how will you handle a damaged book that needs replacing? I'm sure they are packed well but we all now how the post office handles things.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Ha!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

FWIW, I received an email from, Glenn who thought a few posts herein were freaking hilarious. Pat yourselves on the back, folks!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As mentioned in several other threads, the artwork in this book should have been sewed in. To glue the top of each art piece (a flapper...) in a blank page is not a world class quality production.
    Rest assured Charnel House could have done 26 @ $4.5K each and wouldn't think of attaching art like this.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Rest assured Charnel House could have done 26 @ $4.5K each and wouldn't think of attaching art like this.
    Yes at least, like PS Publishing, they would have only published 26 copies.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I like the way it looks (the glued-in artwork). It gives the book a certain vintage quality, IMO.

Also (again, IMO) it's getting a little old to equate the price of a book with its production values. Not one book (trade, numbered, lettered) is made of 'stuff' that is truly worth the asking price. No one here actually believes that a lettered IT is worth >$2,000 in materials, right? A numbered set of The Plant (not even talking about a lettered set here) is worth more than a lettered Carrie and I hear no one whining about that, even though they're just little softcover chapbooks. A lettered Danse Macabre goes for at least as much as a lettered IT and it is nothing more than a trade edition with a limitation page.

I'm not saying that production values shouldn't be taken into account - if that is what matters to you as a buyer/collector! - but print run, popularity, significance, 'mythology/lore' all play equally important parts.

Bottom line: if the owners of the lettered Carrie are happy with their books, the price was exactly right.

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

Agreed. That is exactly the point I was making in the other thread.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I also agree with Michaël. For me, I put a lot of weight into justifying the cost of this book into the fact that it was a very limited edition, and it was signed. Although, there's a "but" here for me too. And that's the fact that I can't help but put some importance in what I'd call the "sensual" part of it. That being the look of it, the way it feels, and the way it smells, etc. The visceral part of the whole production... If you're spending this kind of money on a book, sure, limitation and signature plays a big part, but I feel that I have to also love the production. The physical aspects of the book. I don't have my copy yet, so I almost feel ill equipped to comment on that aspect, but looking at the photos that have been posted, the jury is sort of still out for me on that point. That said, I know Pete and his team put a ton of effort behind this book, and I don't want to diminish the work they did.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Good point. What you call the sensual part certainly is important, but I don't think it will ever justify a certain (high) price by itself. Besides the examples I mentioned there's also stuff like a 1st state 'Salem's Lot DJ (>$10,000), Doubleday proofs (>$10,000), college-era magazine publications like Ubris (>$500) - none of which qualify as anything else but basic paper and ink, but they're very expensive nonetheless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 182 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 175 ... LastLast