49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine no problem with rubbing

14 28.57%
  • Damaged due to rubbing/ink transfer

35 71.43%
Page 102 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 2918

Thread: The Shining S/L from Subterranean Press

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonaldj View Post
    Well worth a read. I was not aware of the Skeleton Crew info.

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/...d/shining.html
    The Catalog is your friend (but the info was long ago published in George Beahm's "The Stephen King Companion")
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ton+Crew+-+S+L

Gunslinger Apprentice mikeyw is on a distinguished road

i missed the boat on this one, so, if anyone has one and they are unhappy because of a defect, message me and i'll be glad to take it off your hands!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

The Catalog is your friend (but the info was long ago published in George Beahm's "The Stephen King Companion")
    Yes, the catalog is the best source for info and photos.
    In this case you should cut and paste all of Tomas's comments into the catalog info. (and obviously give him credit, as hes has done to TDT.org)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
    i missed the boat on this one, so, if anyone has one and they are unhappy because of a defect, message me and i'll be glad to take it off your hands!
    Sorry Mikey, but I don't think there will be many (if any), who will want to part with this one, unless they get big bucks.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Did you mean to say it was published in Beahm's Stephen King Collectibles? As far as I know Scream/Press was still active (and taking money from me) in 1989 when The Stephen King Companion was initially published.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Mine arrived today.

My S/L book is perfect. My S/L slipcase is perfect. My sketch book is perfect.

Thank you Sub Press for yet another great production.

Can't wait for the Lettered.
    Great for you!!! I just wish everyone could say the same.
    Honestly I think if you get a perfect book it's kind of bad form to flaunt it here. Especially with so many of us getting damaged ones.
    I don't think it is flaunting...it is merely making the point that not all of the books have issues.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I wonder how much of Beahm's statement as to the cause of Scream/Press' demise is fact and how much is conjecture? Skeleton Crew was published in 1985 and Scream/Press continued to publish books until at least 1989. They published limited editions of Barker's Books of Blood and quite a few others.

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

The took money from me for a Signed Limited Edition of Anne Rice's Interview With a Vampire, but they never produced it. I still have the receipt for it.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

Also, I wonder how much of Beahm's statement as to the cause of Scream/Press' demise is fact and how much is conjecture? Skeleton Crew was published in 1985 and Scream/Press continued to publish books until at least 1989. They published limited editions of Barker's Books of Blood and quite a few others.
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

To get back on thread, the Sub Press S/L of The Shining is better than the My Pretty Pony, which is a pain-in-the-butt to store/display.

Absolutely agree!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you mean to say it was published in Beahm's Stephen King Collectibles? As far as I know Scream/Press was still active (and taking money from me) in 1989 when The Stephen King Companion was initially published.
    My mistake. As expected you are correct. That's why you are a MVP here as far as I am concerned.
    The book IIRC was "Stephen King Collectibles: An Illustrated Price Guide" by George Beahm. © 2000

I hope I got it right this time.

???-Wasn't there a thread discussion about Scream Press/Jeff Conner returning to publishing, and possibly even customers receiving money back? Forgive me if I am mistaken.
    Cemetery Dance Talks With IDW’s Jeff Conner Scream/Press..future of Signed Limiteds

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Time to get back on topic (myself included).

Traveler methril is on a distinguished road

Default A 1 minute youtube video of my unboxing and flipping through my copy

http://youtu.be/yep8sk_S_a8
    Mine is one of the very slightly scuffed, stained tray case editions. I'm very happy with it because I never thought I'd own anything signed by the greatest storyteller of our time. The fact that it's also a classic horror novel, regardless of the edition, means I'd never part with it.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

They must have run the numbers and recognised it would be unaffordable to give the credit to those with book issues. Fewer people will have damage to the tray case that meets their requirements for the voucher...

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by methril View Post
    Mine is one of the very slightly scuffed, stained tray case editions. I'm very happy with it because I never thought I'd own anything signed by the greatest storyteller of our time. The fact that it's also a classic horror novel, regardless of the edition, means I'd never part with it.
    Congratulations. That looks a fantastic book. To get such a wonderful looking 1st signed book is brill. I was lucky enough to start my collection with the Salems Lot.

Great feeling opening it.

???-Wasn't there a thread discussion about Scream Press/Jeff Conner returning to publishing, and possibly even customers receiving money back? Forgive me if I am mistaken.
    Cemetery Dance Talks With IDW’s Jeff Conner Scream/Press..future of Signed Limiteds
    Yes. After Brian Freeman posted that link I brought up the issue of Conner not being the saint or hero some thought he was. He took money for and never produced an S/L of Rice's Interview With The Vampire. With Brian's help I was able to get a refund from Conner after over 20 years.

Traveler methril is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by shaq View Post
    Congratulations. That looks a fantastic book. To get such a wonderful looking 1st signed book is brill. I was lucky enough to start my collection with the Salems Lot.

Thank you very much! I never paid much attention to signed limited editions before, but I'll certainly keep my eye out for others.

On the topic of dust jackets, I think it'd be cool if we had some sort of door or exterior of the overlook. Then you open the book and are hit with the ghosts staring out of the barroom at you...

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

Just heard back from Bill and I will be getting a new traycase along with my dustjacket.

From the catalog regarding the S/L Skeleton Crew: "Scream Press underestimated production costs and instead of making a name for themselves, went bankrupt."

I suppose the source of this info is George Beahm in his book Stephen King Collectibles. He doesn't quote his source for this information and it just seems to be accepted as fact and repeated on other websites, including this one. Perhaps it is just my nature to question statements like this (or perhaps my profession has taught me to be skeptical of unsubstantiated statements). And, maybe, it just doesn't make a bit of difference to anyone but me. But I don't think the S/L of Skeleton Crew is the sole reason Scream/Press folded. Scream/Press started taking orders for this book in late 1984 and the book was in the warehouse ready to ship to customers in April, 1986 (I have an S/P newsletter with that date showing a picture of Conner with the books stacked behind him). That isn't overly long for a small press publisher from start to finish. I'm not privy to any of the financial details but one of the explanatory letters I got during the wait (July 1985) was the inclusion of the full color J.K. Potter poster. I also know that it had to be reprinted at least once and one of the book's signatures had to be reprinted as well.

Scream/Press continued to operate until at least 1991 publishing several subsequent books. The ones I am most familiar with were the S/L editions of Barker's Books of Blood. The first three "books" were included in one volume. BoB volumes IV, V, and VI were subjected to numerous delays (mostly due to printers' errors) and volume VI was not delivered to me until 1991 (three years after I received volume V!).

And then, of course, there was the disastrous S/L of Rice's Interview With The Vampire in which they solicited orders as early as October, 1988 and completely failed to deliver leaving many, many irate customers in their wake.

I suspect only Jeff Conner ("Mr. Publisher") and Mimi Duncan ("Order Czar" and/or "Ministress of Information") know for sure but I suspect the failure of Scream/Press was due to a combination of suspect management (albeit well intentioned, I'm sure), hazards of running a small business and the usual unavoidable problems with printers, slipcase makers, etc. over a period of years. Since Scream/Press didn't officially fold until 1991 (I received a book from them that year) I think it is suspect to say that underestimating production costs for a single book Skeleton Crew (circa 1985) caused their bankruptcy doesn't seem correct. I think this is another of those examples where some unsubstantiated statement with no source attributed gets repeated as fact over and over again with no one questioning the validity.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by ajw2910 View Post
    Just heard back from Bill and I will be getting a new traycase along with my dustjacket.

Bill,

Should we be expecting an email confirming that we will get a new tray case? Or assume that you got our email and will be sending a replacement? In other words, if we did not hear from you should we be worried?

Any follow up from the printer? Did you get anything settled with them?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Roseannebarr!

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

There was also an offshoot called Dream Press that published books by Richard Matheson, Chelsea Quinn Yarbo and William F Nolan.

From the catalog regarding the S/L Skeleton Crew: "Scream Press underestimated production costs and instead of making a name for themselves, went bankrupt."

I suppose the source of this info is George Beahm in his book Stephen King Collectibles. He doesn't quote his source for this information and it just seems to be accepted as fact and repeated on other websites, including this one. Perhaps it is just my nature to question statements like this (or perhaps my profession has taught me to be skeptical of unsubstantiated statements). And, maybe, it just doesn't make a bit of difference to anyone but me. But I don't think the S/L of Skeleton Crew is the sole reason Scream/Press folded. Scream/Press started taking orders for this book in late 1984 and the book was in the warehouse ready to ship to customers in April, 1986 (I have an S/P newsletter with that date showing a picture of Conner with the books stacked behind him). That isn't overly long for a small press publisher from start to finish. I'm not privy to any of the financial details but one of the explanatory letters I got during the wait (July 1985) was the inclusion of the full color J.K. Potter poster. I also know that it had to be reprinted at least once and one of the book's signatures had to be reprinted as well.

Scream/Press continued to operate until at least 1991 publishing several subsequent books. The ones I am most familiar with were the S/L editions of Barker's Books of Blood. The first three "books" were included in one volume. BoB volumes IV, V, and VI were subjected to numerous delays (mostly due to printers' errors) and volume VI was not delivered to me until 1991 (three years after I received volume V!).

And then, of course, there was the disastrous S/L of Rice's Interview With The Vampire in which they solicited orders as early as October, 1988 and completely failed to deliver leaving many, many irate customers in their wake.

I suspect only Jeff Conner ("Mr. Publisher") and Mimi Duncan ("Order Czar" and/or "Ministress of Information") know for sure but I suspect the failure of Scream/Press was due to a combination of suspect management (albeit well intentioned, I'm sure), hazards of running a small business and the usual unavoidable problems with printers, slipcase makers, etc. over a period of years. Since Scream/Press didn't officially fold until 1991 (I received a book from them that year) I think it is suspect to say that underestimating production costs for a single book Skeleton Crew (circa 1985) caused their bankruptcy doesn't seem correct. I think this is another of those examples where some unsubstantiated statement with no source attributed gets repeated as fact over and over again with no one questioning the validity.
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I think Bob's argument is well thought out, documented and backed up. I agree, and the distinction is important (to some of us old dudes, at least), who have a keen interest in not only the latest limited edition, but the history of the genre small presses, and their posterity- good or bad. Some of my absolute favorite items in my collection are old small press newsletters and catalogs (especially the SCREAM stuff), and I refer back to them often. Graig Goden's "Time Tunnel", Larry Coven's "The Coven"- I love all that old stuff. Not to get off the point too much..

Ron

Along the Path of the Beam subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough

Default Traycases etc.

Hi.

You can safely assume we received emails sent about traycases.

I heard a very early supposition from my printer about the paper issue, but I'm waiting to hear something more concrete before relaying it.

As a lot of The Shining posts have slowed, or repeat comments already made, I'm going to be a bit scarcer around here. Before The Shining issue revved up, I hadn't posted here in roughly six years.

I don't expect this hiatus to be anywhere near that long, as I'll drop in to update folks on replacement traycases and the Vincent Chong dust jackets, and anything else, as appropriate.

As always, you can drop me an email at subpress@gmail.com if you need anything.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback, be it criticism or praise.

Best,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw2910 View Post

Bill,

Should we be expecting an email confirming that we will get a new tray case? Or assume that you got our email and will be sending a replacement? In other words, if we did not hear from you should we be worried?

Any follow up from the printer? Did you get anything settled with them?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Roseannebarr!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I can speak for the vast majority here in thanking you for posting.

John

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I think I can speak for the vast majority here in thanking you for posting.

John
    Yep.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shaq View Post

Ughh......was I the only one who cringed when he jammed that pair of scissors into the box?

I appreciate the video...but I was a bit concerned for your book there for a minute.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Page 102 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 ... LastLast