Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My experiences with Donald M. Grant Inc.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    You've said that I did not read the letter multiple times now....when as a matter of fact I have.

And actually, I was being constructive, your letter is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long, and is all over the place. Both of those comments are constructive.

Nice use of the word douchey though.
    Saying you fell asleep half way through it is constructive?
    Yes, it was bit sarcastic, but my comment was meant to be constructive.

That letter is HUGE and I used sarcasm to convey that.

As I have said before, I think Adam has legitimate complaints (delays and damage), but those legitimate complaints are lost in an unnecessarily lengthy letter that contains a sea of speculation on other topics, and excessive hyperbole.

I think that he would have a better shot at having his complaints heard by people that matter if he were to stick to the facts, reduce the size of that letter, and cut the dramatic element.

I have nothing else to say on this topic, so Adam, I wish you luck with this.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    You've said that I did not read the letter multiple times now....when as a matter of fact I have.

And actually, I was being constructive, your letter is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long, and is all over the place. Both of those comments are constructive.

Nice use of the word douchey though.
    Saying you fell asleep half way through it is constructive?
    Yes, it was bit sarcastic, but my comment was meant to be constructive.

That letter is HUGE and I used sarcasm to convey that.

As I have said before, I think Adam has legitimate complaints (delays and damage), but those legitimate complaints are lost in an unnecessarily lengthy letter that contains a sea of speculation on other topics, and excessive hyperbole.

I think that he would have a better shot at having his complaints heard by people that matter if he were to stick to the facts, reduce the size of that letter, and cut the dramatic element.

I have nothing else to say on this topic, so Adam, I wish you luck with this.
    Nothing else to say on LSOE missing remarks? The long, long letter? or Adam's Book issues? This has been a very interesting discussion and we have solved nothing. I am just happy that our moderator didn't put a stop to all this sooner and we could spread it over 4 different threads. and nobody has ever defined the word VERY

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony will become famous soon enough Tony will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Props to you for sharing your experience.

Nobody if going to read that.

It is the War and Peace of complaint letters man.

I fell asleep halfway through it.

Trim it down if you want someone to pay attention to your complaints.

You also might want to limit your complaints to things that actually affected you. An employee selling her personal copy of the S/L TWTTK had nothing to do with you as far as I can tell.
    It's always easier to be dick than to be pleasant, glad to see you took the easy route.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread is a hoot!!!! LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Props to you for sharing your experience.

Nobody if going to read that.

It is the War and Peace of complaint letters man.

I fell asleep halfway through it.

Trim it down if you want someone to pay attention to your complaints.

You also might want to limit your complaints to things that actually affected you. An employee selling her personal copy of the S/L TWTTK had nothing to do with you as far as I can tell.
    It's always easier to be dick than to be pleasant, glad to see you took the easy route.
    Glad to see you also took the easy route.

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

More, more, more if you please,
    All of us beg on our bended knees...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by agrabin View Post
    More, more, more if you please,
    All of us beg on our bended knees...
    I could murder for a macaroon bar right now!

Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately, or not, as the case may be...depending on your views, political correctness prevents me from completing the rhyme. Jocks over the age of say, 45...and I don't mean American type jocks...will of course recognise this immediately. RT!! Have you tried Mrs Tilly's hand made macaroon? Hmmmmm!!! Lovely

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately, or not, as the case may be...depending on your views, political correctness prevents me from completing the rhyme. Jocks over the age of say, 45...and I don't mean American type jocks...will of course recognise this immediately. RT!! Have you tried Mrs Tilly's hand made macaroon? Hmmmmm!!! Lovely
    Golly! Many times.

I watched the movie "The Dambusters" on Sunday afternoon and all the cast members still called the black labrador "Nigger".

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

why does this thread remind me of the old DT.com site?????

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    why does this thread remind me of the old DT.com site?????
    Haha....I'm not sure I was thinking the same thing, but you're not wrong...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with pretty much everything Scoogs has said in this thread. Also, behind all the back-and-forth snipping, I think tippy4 was making many of the same general points.

I hope that your letter finds its intended audience, Neo. However I echo the sentiment that complaining about a low paid employee getting a free book, and justifying that complaint on a technicality, comes across as petty and will only serve to lessen the credibility of the writer and, by extension, the rest of their arguments.

Good luck. Please let us know if you get a response from anyone at King's office.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    *Golly! Many times.

I watched the movie "The Dambusters" on Sunday afternoon and all the cast members still called the black labrador "Nigger".
    *Clever

I don't know if the planned remake is to go ahead but if so, the dog is to be renamed Digger.

Sorry for going off topic...so yoicks tally ho, chaps...chocks away Ginger and let hostilities resume.!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Have at it boys!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I no longer speak for Grant Books. But I really enjoyed my job there. I loved having the opportunity to meet lots of new people.
    Unless things change. That will be the ONLY thing I will be saying about the books.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have always found you to be a good person!!! Flawed, in your "Boston" sports affiliations, but a good person nonetheless!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    I no longer speak for Grant Books. But I really enjoyed my job there. I loved having the opportunity to meet lots of new people.
    Unless things change. That will be the ONLY thing I will be saying about the books.
    COVERUP AND/OR BUYOUT?????. I THINK NERAK HAS BEEN REPLACED BY A DMG CLONE. SOME ONE CALL THE (need a Stephen King reference here, please help) STORM TROOPERS?, TIME EATERS? Just Kidding. I had great fun reading this thread and commenting. And OUR SK missing remark mystery will stay a mystery until the last person passes away. Just like Watergate.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

MUAH HA HA HA HA...how about The Regulators? Or The Low Men

My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I have always found you to be a good person!!! Flawed, in your "Boston" sports affiliations, but a good person nonetheless!!!

Not all of us can like the Yankmees

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

I have been acquainted with Tippy for nearly ten years now and can confirm that he has no bias, at least not in this area Although I personally tend towards verbosity in my writing, I can confirm that any English professor will tell you that conciseness is a virtue, particularly when correspondence is unsolicited. Quick and to the point is best in that it grabs and holds the reader's attention.

You can certainly do as you like, but I would agree that your letter is likely to get more mileage outside the message board if you stick to the facts dealing with how you were personally affected/harmed/wronged by the experience. Speculation is more likely to weaken than strengthen your argument, particularly if that speculation proves false. For example, while you speculate that Grant's method for holding the lottery may have been part of King's contract with Grant, I think it is even more plausible to speculate that King's refusal to exert the effort required to sign more than 800 copies of TWTTKH despite there being 1,250 copies of LSOE is evidence that he did not particularly give a damn about the 450 individuals who would be left without a copy and probably could care less how Grant decided to allocate any unclaimed copies.

Either way, what is the end game here? King has been working with Grant for over 30 years now with 13 (off the top of my head) signed/limited editions. In the absence of stealing from their customers, refusing to issue refunds, or some other major offense committed on a massive scale, it is unrealistic to believe that King is going to even consider severing his relationship with Grant. Were you to have been unhappy with your copy of the book and were Grant to have refused to issue a complete refund, I imagine that you might have been able to get King's office to intercede on your behalf (if not your credit card company). It sounds like Robert has been apologetic, and I'm sure that if you are so disgusted with this process that you want a refund, you have it (unfortunately, King's comments about his disdain for collectors lead me to imagine he would have very little sympathy for the money you shelled out on the secondary market for the LSOE, so you're almost certainly out of luck in that regard). If the goal is just to let King's office know that you had a bad experience, make that be the point of the letter rather than trying to use it to rail against speculated transgressions or to convince King not to deal with Grant in the future, which are messages that are much more likely to fall on deaf ears.

Let me close by stating that I am certainly not biased towards Grant, as I have had my own odyssey dealing with a damaged signed/limited and can therefore understand your anger and frustration (at least in your case your waiting did not result from their sending your book to a wrong address over 500 miles away despite your repeated warnings to the contrary). I'll also apologize if the length of this made Tippy or anyone else out there nod off
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by BigCoffinHunter View Post
    I have been acquainted with Tippy for nearly ten years now and can confirm that he has no bias, at least not in this area Although I personally tend towards verbosity in my writing, I can confirm that any English professor will tell you that conciseness is a virtue, particularly when correspondence is unsolicited. Quick and to the point is best in that it grabs and holds the reader's attention.

You can certainly do as you like, but I would agree that your letter is likely to get more mileage outside the message board if you stick to the facts dealing with how you were personally affected/harmed/wronged by the experience. Speculation is more likely to weaken than strengthen your argument, particularly if that speculation proves false. For example, while you speculate that Grant's method for holding the lottery may have been part of King's contract with Grant, I think it is even more plausible to speculate that King's refusal to exert the effort required to sign more than 800 copies of TWTTKH despite there being 1,250 copies of LSOE is evidence that he did not particularly give a damn about the 450 individuals who would be left without a copy and probably could care less how Grant decided to allocate any unclaimed copies.

Either way, what is the end game here? King has been working with Grant for over 30 years now with 13 (off the top of my head) signed/limited editions. In the absence of stealing from their customers, refusing to issue refunds, or some other major offense committed on a massive scale, it is unrealistic to believe that King is going to even consider severing his relationship with Grant. Were you to have been unhappy with your copy of the book and were Grant to have refused to issue a complete refund, I imagine that you might have been able to get King's office to intercede on your behalf (if not your credit card company). It sounds like Robert has been apologetic, and I'm sure that if you are so disgusted with this process that you want a refund, you have it (unfortunately, King's comments about his disdain for collectors lead me to imagine he would have very little sympathy for the money you shelled out on the secondary market for the LSOE, so you're almost certainly out of luck in that regard). If the goal is just to let King's office know that you had a bad experience, make that be the point of the letter rather than trying to use it to rail against speculated transgressions or to convince King not to deal with Grant in the future, which are messages that are much more likely to fall on deaf ears.

Let me close by stating that I am certainly not biased towards Grant, as I have had my own odyssey dealing with a damaged signed/limited and can therefore understand your anger and frustration (at least in your case your waiting did not result from their sending your book to a wrong address over 500 miles away despite your repeated warnings to the contrary). I'll also apologize if the length of this made Tippy or anyone else out there nod off
    I did nod off and lost focus for a moment, but in your defense, i broke my glasses and I am very tired. So it could be just me. Very well written. did you write a story for Shannon's publication "In Mint Condition"?

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    I did nod off and lost focus for a moment, but in your defense, i broke my glasses and I am very tired. So it could be just me. Very well written. did you write a story for Shannon's publication "In Mint Condition"?
    I did not, although I was almost wholly focused on finishing an 80+ page culminating project for my undergraduate degree and, now, preparing for grad school (researching, filling out applications, soliciting letters of recommendation, gathering supplementary materials, studying, endless testing, etc.), so it was not for lack of interest.
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just curious, but does anyone know who/if DMG has replaced Karen yet?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

redsoxfan565?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast