Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep-The Shining II

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

You know...I think that even when he supports small press publishers, he got angry with Jerad since not much time (according to King) passed since he allowed him to do Salem's Lot and Jerad asked for The Shining. I don't think it was a matter of "mood".
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to think that it was the size of the book that put off King.

The CP version of 'Salem's Lot is ridiculously large...just like Knowing Darkness (which is why I did not buy the latter).
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Was the actual book that big? Or the case? If its the book, I think I'd prefer a smaller version myself too.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The book is massive but so is Eyes of the dragon published by King's own press.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
    The irony of King's complaint about the size of the Centipede 'Salem's Lot limited is that Jerad based his design on the Philtrum Press Eyes Of The Dragon limited.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    You know...I think that even when he supports small press publishers, he got angry with Jerad since not much time (according to King) passed since he allowed him to do Salem's Lot and Jerad asked for The Shining. I don't think it was a matter of "mood".
    That may be the case but King initially lavished praise on the finished product in a letter he sent to Jerad. If I were in Jerad's shoes I would have done the same thing. He was just getting his company up and running and had proven he was more than capable of delivering the goods. In Jerad's perseverence King should have recognized and respected a trait that served him well when he was trying to get his work published back in the early days.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
    The irony of King's complaint about the size of the Centipede 'Salem's Lot limited is that Jerad based his design on the Philtrum Press Eyes Of The Dragon limited.
    Ahh right. Didn't know that. Seems King is all over the place regarding this book.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think that he likes the small press publishers very much. They publish many writers who would otherwise go unpublished by the bigger publishers. He is, and always has been AFAIK, willing to do whatever he can to support those efforts. He knows that just one S/L of a novel by him can fund a small press publisher for a year or more. This gets more up and coming writers published and is his way of supporting and giving back to the writing community.

Having said that I don't think that he particularly likes the whole "S/L phenomenon" but he supports them as a necessary evil to keep the small presses alive.
    I dropped in and spoke to Robert at Grant this past week. In our discussions Robert noted several times how he repeatedly tried to get King to sign more than 800 WTTK. He mentioned bringing it up time and time again with King holding to the 800 number. Robert was obviously distressed by this and what it meant to his prior customers and other collectors. I suggested that even if some (or many) were unhappy about not getting the opportunity to claim a Ltd. copy, most collectors understood that it was Mr. Kings decision and not Grants. When I also commented that collectors had heard King was not overly fond of Limited's, he responded, "Oh Stephen does like to have nice deluxe copies produced so he can share with his friends."
    Perhaps the rumor that S King is not fond of Limited's is over rated.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    I think that he likes the small press publishers very much. They publish many writers who would otherwise go unpublished by the bigger publishers. He is, and always has been AFAIK, willing to do whatever he can to support those efforts. He knows that just one S/L of a novel by him can fund a small press publisher for a year or more. This gets more up and coming writers published and is his way of supporting and giving back to the writing community.

Having said that I don't think that he particularly likes the whole "S/L phenomenon" but he supports them as a necessary evil to keep the small presses alive.
    I dropped in and spoke to Robert at Grant this past week. In our discussions Robert noted several times how he repeatedly tried to get King to sign more than 800 WTTK. He mentioned bringing it up time and time again with King holding to the 800 number. Robert was obviously distressed by this and what it meant to his prior customers and other collectors. I suggested that even if some (or many) were unhappy about not getting the opportunity to claim a Ltd. copy, most collectors understood that it was Mr. Kings decision and not Grants. When I also commented that collectors had heard King was not overly fond of Limited's, he responded, "Oh Stephen does like to have nice deluxe copies produced so he can share with his friends."
    Perhaps the rumor that S King is not fond of Limited's is over rated.
    Hmmm, maybe so... FWIW I think alot of that rumors origins is based on "Calvin" from TDT which may be somewhat subjective and unfair. Who really knows, but the man himself right?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

King's negative views towards signed/limiteds and collectors in general are attributed, at least in my mind, to two quotes:

In an inscription written for Douglas Winters, King wrote: "Here's a True Fact collectors don't seem to know - it's the same story even if you print it on shopping bags..."

In his somewhat infamous interview for Entertainment Weekly after completing the Dark Tower series, King was quoted as saying, "I've always rejected the idea that every book had to be available to every consumer. I used to get angry letters about the Dark Tower books when they were just limited editions. Somebody would say, 'Well, I want that book.' And I'm like, 'Hey, there are people in hell who want ice water, too!'"
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

In regards to the first quote, I would agree that this is essentially true. Nevertheless, I feel that there is certainly a difference between a painting simply nailed to a wall and a painting housed under glass in a tasteful frame with custom matting. Again, the fundamental content is the same but the presentation makes all the difference.

In regards to the second quote, I think that King's refusal to sign more than 800 copies of TWTTKH despite Robert Wiener's pleas and, ostensibly, King's knowledge that most collectors with LSOEs numbered 801 and higher would be left out in the cold speaks volumes regarding King's view of collectors. Still, I would be curious to see how King settled on 800 as the final number. Why not 750 or 850 or some other number? Is it just a coincidence that 800 corresponds to the number of S/L copies available for Drawing of the Three?
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The number thing is quite interesting. For this Shining s/l the number is 750 isn't it? I wonder why it always seems to be a different number? If King had all the say you'd think it would be the same all the time. I guess the different publishers have different luck at their negotiating...

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I have to think that it was the size of the book that put off King.

The CP version of 'Salem's Lot is ridiculously large...just like Knowing Darkness (which is why I did not buy the latter).
    I have the Salem's s/l and all, and I do like it, but I agree....it's too big to display, almost impossible to read, big and black without much distinction.

It's impressive in scale, but the presentation does lack.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I was just wondering--is it a coincidence that both The Shining and Doctor Sleep are coming out this year, at about the same time?

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I was just wondering--is it a coincidence that both The Shining and Doctor Sleep are coming out this year, at about the same time?

John
    I'm surprised they aren't published by the same published as a boxset.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

It would be nice if the two publishers collaborated and made a similar slipcase.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It would be nice if the two publishers collaborated and made a similar slipcase.
    that would be great - any chance that CD might collaborate?

Limited Edition is 75% sold out.
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    that would be great - any chance that CD might collaborate?
    The look and feel of the slipcases will probably be dictated by the DJ designs (where the stamping comes from) and the materials selected for the bindings (where the material for the case usually comes from).

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

CD produces a much better product than sub press so I really hope they don't collaborate on anything

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    CD produces a much better product than sub press so I really hope they don't collaborate on anything
    I wasn't going to be the first to post this but yeah,100% agreed. Ive seen my share of SP lettered editions and they're on the same level as a S/L from CD. Sometimes not even that. If SP was to match the quality of their books, they'd charge even more.

It'll be funny to take a picture of these two back to back.

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Was this planned. DOCTOR SLEEP announced on George Romero's Birthday!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    I wasn't going to be the first to post this but yeah,100% agreed. Ive seen my share of SP lettered editions and they're on the same level as a S/L from CD. Sometimes not even that. If SP was to match the quality of their books, they'd charge even more.

It'll be funny to take a picture of these two back to back.
    Neither lettered edition will come close to looking like it cost $2500. However, I'll bet Sub Press's lettered edition of THE SHINING holds up very well against CD's DR. SLEEP. I've got quite a few of SP's lettered editions of McCammon's and Simmons' books and like them very much. I thought the lettered edition of THE GREEN MILE was pretty nice too. Just a matter of personal opinion, I guess. I'm also a little worried about CD's statement that the lettered edition will be "bound in two different fine materials." Apparently leather is not one of the two?

Neither lettered edition will come close to looking like it cost $2500. However, I'll bet Sub Press's lettered edition of THE SHINING holds up very well against CD's DR. SLEEP. I've got quite a few of SP's lettered editions of McCammon's and Simmons' books and like them very much. I thought the lettered edition of THE GREEN MILE was pretty nice too. Just a matter of personal opinion, I guess. I'm also a little worried about CD's statement that the lettered edition will be "bound in two different fine materials." Apparently leather is not one of the two?
    Specific materials haven't been selected yet, but leather will be one of them. The other will probably be an imported Japanese or French material. The final design and construction are still pending approval, though. When I can share more details, I definitely will!

Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast