Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Violence, Pop Culture/modern society: Is there a correlation?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I fear there is no normal and that sanity has always been on shaky ground, Heather.

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Ok, here's my opinion (and some may not like it...or might even be pissed by it in ways), but I think the problem is us...not us actually, but the big US...our society. I think we do create this...and all the sort of things like it. I think we are diseased or sick. I think our culture (no, not pop culture) or modern society produces these things and I think it's been going this way a long time. And I'm not sure there's an easy fix. I do not think these people are weak minded (anymore than the average of us at least). It's like a disease of the soul. Now some really smart shrinks will come up with some fancy name for what's wrong with this guy and there will be books and much public discussion that comforts the rest of us into believing that we have a grip on what he did. We don't. I think the real question to ask is what about our society produces these type of people. It's not music, movies, video games or whatever and it's also not the parents. It's something about us as a whole. Maybe I'm fucked up for thinking this way, but I have for a long time.
    When I read this I had one question. Have we as a civilization gotten better or stayed the same? Have we gotten better? Take the late 17 century, to be more specific, the Ripper case. The murders became so famous that it garnered a world wide media frenzy. People wanted to know if the murderer had been captured or if he had struck again? Journalists were frustrated by the unwillingness of the CID to reveal details of their investigation to the public, and so resorted to writing reports that were the equivalent of today's tabloids and caused one person to be arrested falsely because of their reporting. I guess what I am saying is should we consider ourselves better than what we were in 1888 or are we the same and just have evolved industriously and made things better to live with the way that we behave and with the choices that we have made?
    Funny how you asked if we've gotten better or stayed the same, but left out the possibility that we're worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Sort of random, but did you all see that sick fuck in court today? What the hell is happening to us all? My God!!!
    I missed this.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and I'll likely sound like a dick for saying this, but I have no interest in Holmes' state of mind or sanity. Here's how my train of thought runs...

crime (kill people)--->no good reason--->punishment

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Caring about his state of mind gives him the attention he craves and opens the floodgates for more of these incidents to occur.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and I'll likely sound like a dick for saying this, but I have no interest in Holmes' state of mind or sanity. Here's how my train of thought runs...

Not exactly like a dick. Unless dick means instinctive reactionary aggressor. Well Okay, I guess that is the meaning... Sorry. AWKward...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Caring about his state of mind gives him the attention he craves and opens the floodgates for more of these incidents to occur.
    Assuming a mind able to grasp those consequences.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

Not exactly like a dick. Unless dick means instinctive reactionary aggressor. Well Okay, I guess that is the meaning... Sorry. AWKward...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Assuming a mind able to grasp those consequences.
    Okay, IF I didn't sound like a dick before I think I'll go ahead and cross that threshold ...when I say I'm not reactionary or instinctive at all in this stance. Whether you agree or not I've put quite a bit of thought into it over the years and I've come to that possibly simplistic seeming conclusion. Choose to do bad things...get punished. Why means nothing. Nor does your mental state. Or that you're three and mentally handicapped. Now I'm 100% anti-death penalty, but I'm all for punishing those who do wrong. I'm a bit more forgiving and pretty well okay with considering such things as the state of mind if we're talking a lesser crime, but we're talking mass murder here. Now again, I'm not advocating killing anyone, but I don't really care about his state of mind when he fucking ended or devastated the states of mind of so many others. I don't really care if fifty gang members raped his mom's corpse in front of him immediately before this; he killed a bunch of people and hurt more. Unless someone can demonstrate he was forced to do so by someone other than his own mind or that there was some vast conspiracy (as I've already heard suggested sadly) he's guilty and deserves some form of punishment. What form; I'm not sure, but I am a million percent sure he doesn't belong in society at least until he can take it back. After that I'm more than happy to at least entertain his possible reintegration into society or whatever.

If you rescue me

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You think incaceration=punishment?
    Maybe I'm just hung up on that word. Because that's what I find simplistic. The structure of your formula -commit crime>>receive correction- I have no problem with. But punishment sounds pointless and emotional.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe I'm just hung up on that word. Because that's what I find simplistic. The structure of your formula -commit crime>>receive correction- I have no problem with. But punishment sounds pointless and emotional.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

See to my thinking that semantic difference is a nonissue. I mean how often would you say your average violent criminal is "corrected". Punishment IS what it is; more so government sanctioned retribution. The goal isn't correction imo, nor should it be. You correct a mistake; not a willfull act. I'm gonna' say this a little funny, but I basically mean it too...if he tripped, fell, and accidentally boobytrapped his house before going on a maniacal rampage by all means let's correct it. If not let's punish him. He's kinda' been a little naughty.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Starting on 9/11 I said again and again "No, we are not at war; it's terroism. There's a difference." But we went into Iraq anyway because people don't care, and lost bin Laden for years.
    You say the state of his mind doesn't matter, but apparently that is becase you think you know the answer already. Free will is your foregone conclusion.
    Again I ask, what good does retribution do? You're right that in our system reform is hardly ever real, but maybe THAT is why we're such a violent country.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

First, I have to say that I think his state of mind (mentally ill versus completely fucking sane) is very important but only because this will determine whether or not he gets the death penalty, which is allowed in CO in cases of multiple murders. I also just want to throw my two cents in, I believe strongly that societal indifference is contributing to acts of violence in America. Indifference to the poor, the needy, the socially awkward, the sad, the lonely, the mentally ill, the bullied, etc. all contribute to what I feel is a generally calloused society. I'm not saying everyone doesn't care, just that generally speaking our government and society projects indifference to the suffering of its citizens.

I also feel that another contributing factor is our tendency to prescribe experimental (or even established) medication for mental illness without ample supervison. But that's probably a completely different discussion...
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    First, I have to say that I think his state of mind (mentally ill versus completely fucking sane) is very important but only because this will determine whether or not he gets the death penalty, which is allowed in CO in cases of multiple murders. I also just want to throw my two cents in, I believe strongly that societal indifference is contributing to acts of violence in America. Indifference to the poor, the needy, the socially awkward, the sad, the lonely, the mentally ill, the bullied, etc. all contribute to what I feel is a generally calloused society. I'm not saying everyone doesn't care, just that generally speaking our government and society projects indifference to the suffering of its citizens.

I also feel that another contributing factor is our tendency to prescribe experimental (or even established) medication for mental illness without ample supervison. But that's probably a completely different discussion...
    The heart of everything I was trying to say earlier is right here I think.

Nail hit on the motherfuckin' head!

*hands all the internetz over to the winner*

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Me, too.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Me, too.
    Really I suspected this was a situation where we'd mostly agree. I think all or most of our arguments reduce to semantics. Sorry for the slow/lack of response earlier. Pesky life getting in the fuckin way of my internet time.

Now for something really disturbing related to the holmes thing:

http://gawker.com/5930565/why-james-...n-the-internet

If you rescue me

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

"Holmies." Fucking wow.

I'm kind of not surprised that this has sprung up so quickly. Serial killers always seem to develope a fan group. Attention seeking young people seem to make up a majority of the "Holmies."

An interesting collection of these fans posts on tumblr here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...es-holmes-inte

yet another edit:

oh man. and this:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/th...as-40k-followe
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

next we will see a site where there will be lots of people putting bids on who wants to marry the guy....uhhh...

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*runs to set up an ebay auction to sell James Holmes*

If you rescue me

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting story on what one person believes the media has done to their dad.

The Brainwashing Of My Dad

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

okay but on the flip side, turn on the TV and you see the liberal agenda on almost every station.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post

okay but on the flip side, turn on the TV and you see the liberal agenda on almost every station.
    I won't weigh in on either side, My opinions are my own. However, I will agree that the ENTIRE media needs to be held accountable. Left, Right and the middle. Seems to me that gone are the days of journalistic integrity and they have been replaced with the quest for rating and the almighty dollar (at least with the Network News and newspaper's). The liberals may be a bit more subtle than FOX news, but they are just as bad in the long run. It's ratings and revenue that drive the news these days. IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Every media group is guilty of this, not just the right leaning ones.

Besides, if Rush Limbaugh had as much influence as people claim he does, don't you think he'd be running the country at this point.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I turn on the TV and I see the corporate agenda for the most part.

I have to seek out foreign and independent news sources just to know what's going on.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I won't weigh in on either side, My opinions are my own. However, I will agree that the ENTIRE media needs to be held accountable. Left, Right and the middle. Seems to me that gone are the days of journalistic integrity and they have been replaced with the quest for rating and the almighty dollar (at least with the Network News and newspaper's). The liberals may be a bit more subtle than FOX news, but they are just as bad in the long run. It's ratings and revenue that drive the news these days. IMHO
    Bill, have you ever watched MSNBC? They are about as subtle as an axe.

John

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I used to rely on "The Russian Times" but now I hear several of their top reporters have left in protest.

And no, I am not referring to the gal that quit "Russia Today," Liz Wahl.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

Bill, have you ever watched MSNBC? They are about as subtle as an axe.

John
    To be honest, I stick to the "Network" stuff. Now, my wife, she goes for the "Cable Channels". In truth, I am beginning to question the validity of either. FWIW, I am a card carrying "Republican".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3