Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

this
    right here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9eJNEVrojw"]YouTube- The Beatles - Happiness is a warm gun (HQ)[/ame]

my favorite beatles song
    forget I wanna hold you're hand or all you need is love I'll take the white album over any of their other music
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

White Album =
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

the beatles (aka the white album) is a fantastic collection of their songs from the period and certainly hints at what the three would be as songwriters post-beatles.

but if we're recommending second-half-of-career beatles' album one at a time to a relative newcomer, i think it better to take the natural chronology from rubber soul to revolver to show how they moved from pop songs about boys & girls to the kinds of songs that populate these two albums and how they incorporated more and more experimentation into the mix (literally into the mix.)

after those two, the rest makes more sense. it is not necessary to listen to the rest in chronological order (especially as i find sgt. pepper overrated) but rubber soul and revolver set such context for the rest. after that, then go for abbey road and let it be and the "white album"

oh and don't discount the pre-1965 beatles catalog either. while the songs may often be formulaic and the lyrics somewhat trite, that doesn't preclude them from being great pop songs and a lot of fun to play. sometimes the greatness of a song isn't clear to me until i try to learn to play it and break it down to its component parts to rearrange it myself. you'd be surprised sometimes at what you may have overlooked.

that and george's guitar tone alone make the early stuff more than worthwhile.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Paul is dead...miss him.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

**bumping**

anyone still talking 'bout this or can we merge it into the general music discussion at this point?

eta: and that's that. the muse thread has been merged into general music.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Who-20 Farewells, 2 Deaths & Counting

I gotta say, I have always loved The Who as a band. Who's Next and Tommy are classic "Deserted Island" albums (ala "Lost" lol) and they just keep coming!!! I used to think that if there was nuclear war, only roaches and Kieth Richards would survive, but now I think that Townsend & Daltrey may survive as well.

I saw them live on their 1st farewell in I belive it was '86 in Shea Stadium (of course quite a few times b4 that) and then again at MSG for "Quadraphenia" with Billy Idol, Phil Collins and Gary Glitter playing characters. However, they have been on tour numerous times since then and released 3 or 4 albums (solo & together) Certainly Rocks' "Royalty".

The body of work? need I discuss it? Thankfully, they never died before they got old (and just maybe they never did get old!)

Discuss?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

One of our own (looking magnificent) :
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEIY90tCIIY"]YouTube- Lisa Hannigan - Pistachio[/ame]

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

With rare exception you should enjoy pretty much ANY Beatles song, razz.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Say, did anyone else catch the 25th Anniversary Concert for the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame? It was broadcast on Sunday on HBO.

Overall, I thought it was great - some exceptions ( :ahem:bono shut-up: ) but it was a pretty good concert.

Springsteen singing with Darlene Love was my highlight, sincerely. And I thought Metallica and Ozzy was pretty fun as well.

Actually, Springsteen's whole set was super for me. Tommy Morello ... shite! Super cool. He was great. Never would have pictured him with Bruce, but it worked.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't watch, but I'm watching Ozzy and Metallica now.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

Brice - What was so cool about Metallica/Ozzy was that those big old Metallica guys, so tough and serious ... but James looked like he was in heaven just singing with Ozzy, like a little kid with his idol there on stage!

The whole concert was 4 hours 10 minutes.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, James looks like a kid on Christmas morning.

If you rescue me

i am going to merge this thread on the who into the general music thread, but i will give some thoughts on the who first

i've always loved townsend, entwhistle and especially moon. daltrey i kind of find superfluous to the whole thing, but then again, my favourite who moments are the instrumental ones.

my friends and i used to debate who the more unnecessary element to their band was, daltrey or plant, but plant wrote a good percentage of the lyrics, whereas townsend wrote most of the who's lyrics and, in my opinion, did just fine with the bits he sang.

nobody can swing a microphone quite like daltrey though so i guess he has that going for him.

there's no doubt though that in their prime, few bands had the power the who did.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

"Hope I die before I get old".

Tommy can you hear me?.....................

B4 The White Album (which is a classic no doubt) you gotta see the foreshadowing of " Sgt. Peppers"

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    "Tommy can you hear me?.....................

Tommy the movie is one of my absolute favorite films

its soooo twisted
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

Stolen From Us.
    Always Remembered.
    Never Forgotten.
    Forever Loved.
    John Lennon : 10/09/1940 - 12/08/1980

On This, The Anniversary Of His Death - I Celebrate His Life.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm so sad and so happy

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Gay

Yeah. This is always a rough day for me. As selfish as it is, I think often about how much music was stolen from us all. What could have and should have been. Sucks.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think we should celebrate Lennon's life by beating Mark David Chapman with broomsticks while singing Let It Be.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I think we should celebrate Lennon's life by beating Mark David Chapman with broomsticks while singing Let It Be.
    I'm pretty sure I could find a piano somewhere... will that do?

Sincerely, what a loss.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

yes

We can play the piano by hitting the keys with his face.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Gay

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_ghOG9JQM"]YouTube- John Lennon stand by me[/ame]

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

So, who wants to talk about the upcoming Spoon album?
    Spoiler:

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, all I know is I look forward to owning it the day it comes out. The new single is pretty damn good, and despite Got Nuffin's appearance on the album (a song I thought was EP-only fodder for Spoon) I'm genuinely excited about Transference.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too, man. me too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast