Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 11/22/63 ******Spoilers!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://books.simonandschuster.com/11.../browse_inside

Read the "book club kit" from the paperback edition with King's interview, discussion questions, a playlist with King's notes, and recipes. It's 14 pages, but looks like pages 12 and 13 are the same. Surely an error.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If you'll note, there's a typo on the outside back cover. The town is listed as "Jolie, Texas" where it's supposed to be "Jodie, Texas".

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

Read the "book club kit" from the paperback edition with King's interview, discussion questions, a playlist with King's notes, and recipes. It's 14 pages, but looks like pages 12 and 13 are the same. Surely an error.
    My copy has no duplicate pages, but does have the error John mentions.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have any duplicate pages either.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/0...sons-producer/

This post includes spoilers for Stephen King’s 11/22/63 and for the Billy Joel song “We Didn’t Start the Fire.” Yes, both.

Matt Selman, an executive producer of The Simpsons, has undertaken the task of writing the version of Billy Joel’s “We Didn’t Start the Fire” as it would have been recorded in the universe of Stephen King’s 11/22/63, in which JFK’s assassination is foiled at the last minute by George Amberson (Jake Epping), based on an idea co-conceived by Simpsons writer Tim Long. He has replaced the original lyrics with only the specific historical references King includes in his revisionist history of the second half of the 20th century. For added verisimilitude, he has included lyrics about historical events that are mentioned to have happened in both timelines, King’s and ours. Why? Because this is a thing he does, and it’s not the first such song parody Matt Selman has written about for TIME.

“A few ‘real’ references have been included because A) I inferred they would have also have occurred in the King Universe, and B) I ran out of new historical information, of which the book does not give much,” Selman says. “Also, for some reason unknowable alternative history reason, alternative history Billy Joel chose to put out this version of ‘We Didn’t Start The Fire’ in 2012.”

Without further ado:

“WE DIDN’T START THE FIRE” BY BILLY JOEL (STEPHEN KING “11/22/63” VERSION)

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnny Ray

South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio

Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television

North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenberg, H-Bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom

Brando, The King And I, and The Catcher In The Rye,

Eisenhower, Vaccine, England’s got a new queen

Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

We didn’t start the fire

It was always burning

Since the world’s been turning

We didn’t start the fire

No, we didn’t light it

But we tried to fight it

Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiov,

Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc

Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron

Dien Bien Phu Falls, Rock Around the Clock

Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn’s got a winning team

Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland

Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Khrushchev

Princess Grace, Peyton Place, Trouble in the Suez

We didn’t start the fire

It was always burning

We didn’t start the fire

No, we didn’t light it

But we tried to fight it

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac

Sputnik, Zhou Enlai, Bridge On The River Kwai

Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball

Starkweather Homicide, Children of Thalidomide

Buddy Holly, Ben Hur, Space Monkey, Mafia,

Hula Hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go

U2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy,

Chubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo

We didn’t start the fire

It was always burning

We didn’t start the fire

No, we didn’t light it

But we tried to fight it

Hemingway, Eichmann, Stranger in a Strange Land,

Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion

Lawrence of Arabia, British Beatle mania

Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson

Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British Politician sex,

J.F.K. NOT BLOWN AWAY, AMBERSON SAVES THE DAY!

We didn’t start the fire

It was always burning

We didn’t start the fire

No, we didn’t light it

But we tried to fight it

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, EARTHQUAKE IN LOS ANGELES

MARTIN SHOT, SAIGON ROCKED, CHICAGO BURNS, HANOI DROP

WALLACE DEAD, CURT LEMAY, BYE-BYE BOMBAY

Ayatollah’s in Iran, RONALD REAGAN’S DEADLY PLAN

BLIND BEATLE, JONESTOWN, VERMONT YANKEE MELTDOWN

FORD BREEZE, MORE QUAKES, AIDS, Crack, MIAMI SHAKES

HOKKAIDO IS UNDER SEAS, PRESIDENT HILARY

MAINE LEAVES USA, WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY?

We didn’t start the fire

It was always burning since the world’s been turning.

We didn’t start the fire

But when we are gone

It will still burn on, and on, and on, and on…

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

[sighs]

I finished this bok the other day and loved it.

Spoiler:
    I kind of wished for an ending that would have let Jake and Sadie end up together, but I can understand that it was the best possible outcome, considering the way each decision altered the future.

And the story with Harry was just heart wrenching. Apparently, the poor guy was doomed to have a less than perfect life no matter what.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

The Playlist is a pretty cool addition!
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I finally read it. And of course closing the back cover of the book and saying goodbye to the story has made me fall in love with King all over again. So awesome!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    I finally read it. And of course closing the back cover of the book and saying goodbye to the story has made me fall in love with King all over again. So awesome!
    I could not have said it better!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    I could not have said it better!!!!
    Awesome. I'm glad you liked the book. This and Duma Key are the two contemporary SK books that reinforced my love of his writing.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I loved 11/22/63, so if you've got Duma Key in the same category of awesomeness I guess I better get around to reading it soon.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I recently listened to Bill O'Reilly's book Killing Kennedy. I have never been really all that phased or bothered by the killing of Kennedy, or even all that much of a fan of Kennedy. But reading that book gave me a new appreciation for him as President and a new sadness about his murder. I highly recommend that book, and Bill reads the audio version himself and does a great job. It's a historical book, but he wrote it as a thriller and it's very interesting.

Killing Lincoln is also a good book, probably better than the Kennedy book.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From today's Dallas Morning News (paper):

Come week’s end, 600 Elsbeth will be no more. Finally.

That’s according to this morning’s letter from city of Dallas Senior
    Assistant City Attorney Andrew Gilbert, who says the city’s through messing
    around with the Oak Cliff apartment complex where Lee Harvey and Marina Oswald
    lived from November 1962 till March of ’63. Long story short: A judge ordered its demolition in the summer of 2011, and
    owner Jane Bryant of Align LP fought off the bulldozers as long as she could. But enough’s
    enough, says Gilbert.

“The condition of the Property has worsened since November 30, 2012, is an
    attractive nuisance to vandals, and threatens harm to the public health, safety
    and welfare,” says Gilbert’s missive concerning the building about which Gordon Keith wrote last month. “In
    addition, the City is concerned that Align may not have properly abated all
    asbestos containing materials from the property, including sheetrock that
    contains asbestos.”

City Hall spokesman Frank Librio says this morning that city-employed
    contractors are due to pull up to the property this morning to conduct further
    asbestos abatement, which may last till Wednesday — hard to say, given the soggy weather forecast. “Can’t really say how long
    abatement will take,” Librio says. “Contractors are going to wrap the structure,
    so you will see that today, and [they will] bring in a large generator.”

The city maintains it’s a hazard; others, a roadblock to further development in the Bishop Arts
    District

Demon of the Prim Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a bit late in the game here...11/22/63 has to top my list...I love his books...loved the first right on through...a few were a little iffy but still...Bag of Bones was top for a while, then I didn't think anything could top Duma Key..The end of 11/22/63 blew me away...I'm glad he didn't go with his original ending. What tickled me today, and I didn't have my camera, is that where we buy our produce for our deli sells..MOXIE soda..and has some of the Moxie posters on the wall!! Will have camera in hand on our next visit...I also got this book for Xmas on Audio..not crazy about the reader but...
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

11/22/63 was the first King book I read after a 20+ year break from reading much (kind of lost my way). I really enjoyed getting back to my passion of reading King. That was in January '13 and I've been blazing along (blazing for me isn't very fast). I like the characters and the story line. I like going back in time when reading and feeling the nostalgia, though I wasn't alive in the time period, I grew up with older siblings and that was my parents heyday so we heard a lot about it plus all the music and movies.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Although I loved this book and could not put it down, when King is describing scenes with Marina and June, that left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm surprised no one has brought this up sooner but these people are still alive today and to fabricate scenes and fights about them and to disrespect them is totally wrong.

Fair enough Lee Harvey Oswald is dead so write what you please but that's the limit in my opinion.

Does no one else think King was wrong in doing this?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, rather yes than no. I don't know if it's alright to fantasize about dead people, either, for that matter.

Speaking about Marina, her teeth look all right to me (though it's a '65 photos, so she could have been fixed by then - but anyway it's a cliche, typical for King with his total disregard of anything that's not American, that all Russian women have bad teeth. I don't know anyone with bad teeth except myself), also as far as I know she spoke very good English. She gives her testimony in English so well that the interrogator remarks on this, "your English now seems to be very good." There is a theory that she was a KGB agent anyway, then she may have pretended to speak it little to avert suspicions, but King doesn't support this theory.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Míchéal View Post
    Although I loved this book and could not put it down, when King is describing scenes with Marina and June, that left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm surprised no one has brought this up sooner but these people are still alive today and to fabricate scenes and fights about them and to disrespect them is totally wrong.

Fair enough Lee Harvey Oswald is dead so write what you please but that's the limit in my opinion.

Does no one else think King was wrong in doing this?

Well, like it or not, Oswald made them public figures and thus fair game. Plus it is a Novel" and so fictional.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Marina received quite a bit of money from sympathetic people following the assassination. She was left with two small children, limited English skills, and no job. It reflects well on Americans that they were so generous given the circumstances. Conspiracy theorists believe to this day that she lied or was forced to lie about several things - including taking the "Backyard photos" showing Oswald holding his rifle and confessing to her that he attempted to assassinate General Walker several months before shooting JFK - but she confirms to this day that this is true. Regarding her teeth, she had five extracted in Oct. '62 where it was reported that her teeth were in poor condition at that time. I was concerned that King, with his politics and admiration for JFK, might be open to the conspiracy angle in his book. A grand conspiracy of nefarious entities gives greater meaning to his death than being shot by a pathetic loser like Oswald. To his credit he researched this case and came to the reasonable conclusion that Oswald was the lone gunman.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Marina received quite a bit of money from sympathetic people following the assassination. She was left with two small children, limited English skills, and no job. It reflects well on Americans that they were so generous given the circumstances. Conspiracy theorists believe to this day that she lied or was forced to lie about several things - including taking the "Backyard photos" showing Oswald holding his rifle and confessing to her that he attempted to assassinate General Walker several months before shooting JFK - but she confirms to this day that this is true. Regarding her teeth, she had five extracted in Oct. '62 where it was reported that her teeth were in poor condition at that time. I was concerned that King, with his politics and admiration for JFK, might be open to the conspiracy angle in his book. A grand conspiracy of nefarious entities gives greater meaning to his death than being shot by a pathetic loser like Oswald. To his credit he researched this case and came to the reasonable conclusion that Oswald was the lone gunman.
    And hence your other statements are? I just wonder because, contrary to what I anticipated, I thought "King" was true to his research on the subject. It's still a "volatile" subject, and should be, but I think SK was "True" to history. Better than I.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I finally got around to reading 11/22/63. I absolutely loved it. One of my favorite King novels. In fact, one of the best I've read in a long time. I'm a bit of a sap and don't mind admitting that by the last few lines, tears were streaming down my face! I've always enjoyed the love stories. I kept hoping for a fairly tale ending, and thought I would be disappointed by anything less, but I wasn't disappointed at all. If ever a book deserved a standing ovation, this was it. Bravo.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like 11/22/63 is finally being released as a mass market paperback.

11/22/63: A Novel Mass Market Paperback – October 27, 2015

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Looks like 11/22/63 is finally being released as a mass market paperback.

11/22/63: A Novel Mass Market Paperback – October 27, 2015
    It's about time!!!

John

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I have no idea why it took so long... Maybe sales of the TP were consistently strong.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got an email saying the release date of the 11/22/63 paperback has changed to January 26, 2016.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast