Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Comics Universe

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I was disappointed with Marvel's choice of the # 1 cover, there are so many others that come to mind.

Ross was in their cover countdown, a couple of times, I think.

I'll add that Spidey to my grab list, for sure.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I was under the impression that Marvel started doing business in the 60s. What makes Marvel 70? Is it just certain characters? I know that Captain America started out as WWII superhero. Was he created in the 40s then sold to Marvel in the 60s or something?

My Mood
    Gay

No, Coz. Marvel Comics started out in 1939. Captain America premiered in 1941, and of course, ended up taking on the Nazi's.

The 1960's brought us Stan "The Man" Lee and the more contemporary characters.

Spider-Man premiered in 1962 and so did The Hulk, and the X-Men in 1963. Stan Lee changed the Marvel Universe, but it was around before he started working at Marvel ( as a COPY BOY!!! ).

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Who was Marvel's first superhero?

My Mood
    Gay

Actually I believe it was Marvel Comics # 1 and had the Human Torch ( 1939 ) and others.

Here's the Wiki of the history of Marvel Comics. Linkage

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty sure the robot human torch was the first to be published by marvel (dont know if they were atlas at the time)
    BUT
    according to the current continuity the first superhero in the marvel universe was Sentry
    and the first mutant was en-saba-nur AKA Apocalypse, in ancient egypt
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first superhero published by Marvel was indeed The Human Torch. He was an android and also lent his name to the Fantastic Four's Johnny Storm when they were created in the 60's. I believe Namor is next in the pecking order.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Gay

Thought I'd take a shot at my own questions... though I will tell you, it's not easy to answer them.

1. All-Time Favorite Marvel Character :
    a. Male - Matt Murdock / Daredevil
    b. Female - Oh, this is hard. Rogue... Jean Grey... Elektra. Shite! Okay... Rogue.
    c. Overall - Matt Murdock / Daredevil
    d. Favorite Couple - Cyclops and Jean Grey

2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist : Another hard one for me. So many great artists to chose from. I love Jae Lee's work ( DT and non-DT ). John Cassaday's work on X-Men.... Greg Horn's Elektra.... but I'm going to have to go with Frank Miller again.

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer : Ugh. Again, very difficult... Again, going with Frank Miller, though. I have to, for me - I got into comics reading his Daredevil stuff and that literally changed the way I look at art, comics and storytelling.

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover : Okay. I have four. In no order.

First, is the Lee Bermejo cover of Dark Tower: Long Road Home Variant Issue 5

Second, Daredevil # 229 Pariah !!

Third, The Incredible Hulk # 420

Four, Elektra # 10

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics : The ultimate sacrifice of Jean Grey / Dark Phoenix

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics : Sorry, again - I have to pick two. The Death of Jim Wilson, in Hulk # 420 and the Death of Gwen Stacy in Spidey.

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics : Logan and anyone. I love Daredevil, but no one fights like Wolverine.

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics : Three Way Tie, for me. X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga, Daredevil Born Again, X-Men Extinction Agenda.

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics : The ending of Dark Phoenix Saga.

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics : Rogue's ability to absorb ... terrifying, painful and utterly powerful.

11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why : The final issue of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Why? Well, I never expected it and it was so emotional and extraordinary, it was great. It shows how wonderful comic storytelling can be.

My Mood
    Gay

Just a bump for this - and a quick note, with Marvel's 70th, they've made pretty much all their top covers available as prints for purchase. Pretty cool.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

VERY COOL!!!
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Gay

* bumpage *

( I've been seeing a lot of new members posting and would love everyone's thoughts on these )

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    (I... would love everyone's thoughts on these )
    Everyone's? Ok, you've asked twice, so here you go:

Outside of the Dark Tower comics, I have no idea who half the people are that you are all discussing, much less the story lines.

And what is "AoA"? Age of Aquarius?

Best Character: The Hulk. Why? To me, the Hulk will always be the TV series of my youth starring Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. I loved that show.

Best Artist: Jae Lee (Dark Tower) and Frank Miller. But my vote for Miller is only because I saw his name mentioned above and I love the stuff he has done for DC, especially in the Batman arena.

Growing up I read DC. Marvel just never interested me.

So there are my thoughts, Pam, as requested.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    (I... would love everyone's thoughts on these )
    Everyone's? Ok, you've asked twice, so here you go:

Outside of the Dark Tower comics, I have no idea who half the people are that you are all discussing, much less the story lines.

And what is "AoA"? Age of Aquarius?

Best Character: The Hulk. Why? To me, the Hulk will always be the TV series of my youth starring Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. I loved that show.

Best Artist: Jae Lee (Dark Tower) and Frank Miller. But my vote for Miller is only because I saw his name mentioned above and I love the stuff he has done for DC, especially in the Batman arena.

Growing up I read DC. Marvel just never interested me.

So there are my thoughts, Pam, as requested.
    Patrick !!

AoA is the Age of Apocalypse - which is an X-Men story arc from 1995/1996. It's one of their more popular crossover series and had a big impact on the Marvel Universe. Neato Keano Superhero Stuff

Hmmm DC Comics was founded in 1934 so technically, they should be celebrating this year as well. I wonder why they're not?!?!?

My all-time favorite DC character is Hal Jordan / Green Lantern.

Jae Lee is a great choice - Dark Tower artist or not. He's got a bunch of impressive Marvel work behind him.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm... maybe DC is not celebrating because they're saving it for their 75th.

Although it is a Marvel project, I don't really consider the Dark Tower series as part of their world. I classify it a bit more... standalone, or separate - part of the King universe (multiverse?). Does that make sense?

My childhood favorites from DC were the Batman (he's got that complexity you were looking for earlier), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) and The Flash (Barry).

The problem with comics these days, as I perceive it as a former big fan, is that now it is near impossible to figure your way in. Everything seems to be so cross-referenced and cross-related, that it is difficult to know how or where to jump in without dropping a ton of cash to buy a bunch of different titles. I think the perception of inaccessibility from the outside-looking-in is a major hurdle to drawing in new customers. And if you're not bringing in new customers, then natural attrition will shrink the business and potentially, eventually kill it.

Anyway, I'm way off of the topic, but it seems like a relevant discussion as the major providers reach this milestone.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Marvel & ESPN the Mag

For all you comic aficiondo's out there you'll get a kick out of this month's ESPN the Mag as marvel did the art for the Mag's NBA preview. Pretty entertaining. Check it out when you can.

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Gay

What a tease you are, man!!! Thanks for the heads-up, though!

Here you go, folks, I found the cover :

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America.

Those look like basketball players to me, so you'll have to tell me if the characters relate to the players and how?!? ( I'm a clueless comic-geek, after all ).

Will probably merge this thead in a while.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am a subscriber, so I have the issue. Want more pics?

Its actually a pretty good job as they marry the team previews to superhero's and circumstance, etc.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Gay

Sure, man, post 'em if you got 'em!!

If you know about the relationship between the characters they picked for each player - then, for sure, give us some insight!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I don't know about an indepth analysis. Suffice to say that they consulted with the ESPN guys and got it fairly right according to their predictions and current circumstances. The Lebron James one was really on target!!!

Here ya go:

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

And here's the rest:

And the Best one:

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I left a couple out, but you get the idea.................enjoy
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, man, those are actually really cool!

Thanks, Bill !!! Much appreciated, no way could I have found all of those.

I thought for a second that was Green Lantern depiction there - but I guess that's a take on the Fantastic Four!

Thanks!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Merge it? Did I mis-post? sorry I didn't see anything else up there and I thought the comic tower was the place to go. My bad
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

No.... Nothing. This is the perfect place for it.

Just that down the road, we'll merge this with the general comic thread, rather than it holding it's own thread. Just for housekeeping purposes ...

This is great! I love those pics !!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh OK cool then, glad you like 'em!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast