Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 462 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 11535

Thread: The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Easton Press used the auto-pen for one of Michael Crichton's books. Crichton said the subsequent backlash of collector discontent convinced him to never to it again. I've forgotten exactly which Easton book it was.
    Jurassic park Gift edition. It had a tipped in "signature" page and was advertised as "Signed edition". A whoops moment for the publisher. I owned one and sold it on ebay years ago-with full disclosure. It was a gorgeous "reproduction" of Crichton's signature, done in blue pen ink (at least that is how it looked). Also had a glassine page preceding the signature page (or perhaps it was the book wrapper-memory fades on this one).

Edit=Yes, it had the clear acetate cover with a t-rex etched/printed/lasered on it.
    Thanks to mulleins.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

This auto-pen discussion is certainly interesting!. Thanks for sharing the info, Jerome and Ralph.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Two things I hate are the auto-pen and the auto-tune microphone.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

While I'm completely against the autopens. I can think of some singers which I wish would use every tool they can to improve their singing...or not sing at all.

I think a company should always tell when an autopen was used. In fact I think even calling them signatures is disengenuous as hell.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    While I'm completely against the autopens. I can think of some singers which I wish would use every tool they can to improve their singing...or not sing at all.

I think a company should always tell when an autopen was used. In fact I think even calling them signatures is disengenuous as hell.
    I've never heard of this autopen, totally agree that it should be disclosed,,,,,

Brian,,,,,,,

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All of this autopen talk has got me wondering about all of these "Signed First Edition" books that are "specially bound by the publisher." The UK version of The Passage which had, I believe, 5000 copies produced. Is Cronin's signature legit in those editions? He was very busy when the book came out, so did he have time to sign 5000 pages? Horns had the similar pre-signed page, but I think it was only around 1100 copies or so. Since it seems that Joe signs just about anything and everything, I'm leaning towards those being more legit. I think I am going to start staying away from the pre-signed items and stick to either s/l copies or flatsigned at a book signing

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    All of this autopen talk has got me wondering about all of these "Signed First Edition" books that are "specially bound by the publisher." The UK version of The Passage which had, I believe, 5000 copies produced. Is Cronin's signature legit in those editions? He was very busy when the book came out, so did he have time to sign 5000 pages? Horns had the similar pre-signed page, but I think it was only around 1100 copies or so. Since it seems that Joe signs just about anything and everything, I'm leaning towards those being more legit. I think I am going to start staying away from the pre-signed items and stick to either s/l copies or flatsigned at a book signing
    I can put your mind at ease with the Cronin & Hill question:

1. Yes, Justin personally signed all 5000 UK pages before bound into book. I have a good friend that was behind closed doors with him during this process.

NOTE: The US also released a signed edition with a sticker on the front stating signed. I can't vouch for that one. Maybe someone here can.

2. Joe personally signed every copy of Horns.

I do understand your fear. Here recently I've seen books show up on shelves in Borders, Walmart, etc. stating Signed Edition with sticker. Is it real or Auto-Penned? The publishing industry needs to step up and state the truth and not the legal wording "a non-genuine signature may be legally genuine when their use has been authorized by the signature holder".

If the book wasn't touched by the author, it's not a real signature in my signed collection. I've had to send a few Ebay emails to people selling the King UK gift editions (facsimile signatures) as actually signed.

The Auto-Pen topic is an ongoing conversation between a group of Ebay book collectors I'm part of. Funny thing is, one of the members is an editor from a major publisher and has been very quiet on this topic. I wonder why?

Mulleins

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info, Ralph. I thought the Hill ones were good because every picture I saw seemed to have a slightly different doodle, etc. I'm glad to hear the Passage copies are good as well.

5000 pages to sign...that must have been brutal...

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Thanks for the info, Ralph. I thought the Hill ones were good because every picture I saw seemed to have a slightly different doodle, etc. I'm glad to hear the Passage copies are good as well.

5000 pages to sign...that must have been brutal...
    Brutal indeed. My hand cramps at a loan/refinancing closing and that's only 20 pages or so to sign.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Doodles, drawings etc can be done by the autopen, as well as signatures.
    Whatever the author does at his location, is exactly replicated at the location of the book. This can be thousands of miles away.

Country
    Country Flag

I know the doodles can be autopenned as well - what I meant was I've seen many different versions of the Horns sig page, and they are different, so I assumed they were legit. Here are three examples:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Hill-SIGNED-...item2a0b423300
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Hill-SIGNED-...item5d2bc4e255
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Hill-SIGNED-...item5d2845bf12

My copy is different from these three:

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Are those UK signed editions signed by King on a sticker or just photocopied in colour and pasted on the sig page? If it's the former, I'd say that's more of a legit signed edition than an auto-penned one.

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

My rule has always been.....

If the author isn't touching the pen and writing it by hand, then it shall not be considered an actual legitimate signature "signed in person". The only exception is if the author has telekinesis, in which case, the author may use his (or her) mind to control the pen and sign the proffered object. Author must be within line of sight of said object being autographed or it shall not be considered an actual legitimate signature "signed in person".

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

You mean the copy of Firestarter I have that's signed by Charlie McGee is legit?

John

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

But i think Joe Hill is realy a big exception. When i meet him last year at the one and only German sig. event,
    i ask him if its possible to sign a LOT of books for me, because i have a big order list from collectors all arround the world. He says: No problem ... and started to sign an doodle, he changes his pen for sig some comics, he
    doodles all books, comics and posters and marks some books with differend sentences like: KILL KILL KILL. Rock on.....

During his signing, i excused me for his BIG work, an he say´s... YES, signing some books is a really hard work.

But Cronin´s 5000 sig..... brutal.....

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Are those UK signed editions signed by King on a sticker or just photocopied in colour and pasted on the sig page? If it's the former, I'd say that's more of a legit signed edition than an auto-penned one.
    This is in reference to the H&S limited editions.
    Some are his actual signature on bookplates pasted into the book. Some are facsimile signatures with a slightly different bookplate.
    Some UK limited editions only came in the real S/L. Others had the facsimile gift editions.

My advice is to check out the King Catalog here (or The Collector's site) to familiarize yourself with a UK limited edition before buying on eBay to ensure you get what you think you are getting because some eBay sellers are misleading either purposefully or out of ignorance.

On the Joe Hill topic: My understanding is that he does not use the auto-pen on any signed editions, but perhaps the next time someone sees him, they can confirm.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Easy guide for UK S/Ls. Blue ink = facsimile. Black ink = King signed.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

What is this?

Is this a legit signature, or some machine gererated piece of crap?

AUTO SIGNED GREEN MILE
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that was discussed earlier upthread, or in the Interesting Ebay auctions thread. Somehow the seller glommed onto the "Autopen" topicality.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that's the one that started this auto signing discussion.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Very odd. The signature actually looks okay at first glance (but there were flaws pointed out a few posts ago)....Why would anyone 'autopen' Part Four? Unless the seller knows this is a forgery and is just using the auto-pen claim as a way to say "hey, I didn't say it was real."

Gunslinger Apprentice MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG's Avatar

When Joe Hill was signing at Powell's books in Portland there was a pretty good crowd. He stated up front that he would sign all items but asked anyone with over three items to allow those with three items or less to go first so would not have to wait too long. He took the time to speak with, in many cases take pictures with and doodle throughout. A very gracious man. On a side note he spent the morning of the signing in Portland going around town and signing the books on the shelves of several book stores.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Very odd. The signature actually looks okay at first glance (but there were flaws pointed out a few posts ago)....Why would anyone 'autopen' Part Four? Unless the seller knows this is a forgery and is just using the auto-pen claim as a way to say "hey, I didn't say it was real."
    I must be missing something. Many of the seller's other auctions have "AUTO" in the auction title but I think that is just his shorthand for "autographed." I can't see where the seller states it is anything other than a legit autograph. Or is it just some of us here on this website that have made the erroneous leap to think that this is an auto-pen signature? How did we get to this point? I'm confused.
    I'm pretty sure it is a forgery. Nothing more, nothing less.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's the way I understood it also. Auto=autographed. As to whether it's a fake or not, I think it very well could be (I wouldn't want it in my collection).

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I've never heard of King making use of an autopen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 462 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 ... LastLast