Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: How Has the Series Affected Your Life?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Lily-sai, really really good to have you here.
    Long days and pleasant nights.

Roland would have understood.

Along the Path of the Beam Rambo, John J is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Very beautifully written Lily-sai. I think the post sums up a lot of us on here.

As for me, I still can't quite beleive I never found darktower.com/.net til just recently as i've been a constant reader since The Waste Lands was published.

has the series had a profound impact on my life? The anwer can only be yes. I wanted to give a witty 'yes and no' answer, but of course the answer is yes. Has to be yes.

The most pervading, drawn out, interconnected, fantastical story that I have come across, and the tbst thing is, i still don't know just how big an impact it had, and i'll never be able to analyse just how big an impact it DID have until i'm on my deathbed reviewing my life!

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you.

And warmly welcome here, this place is like an enchanted piece of All-World where we can go whenever we feel this longing to strike us.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Traveler birdandbear is on a distinguished road birdandbear's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

if the series was not existed, this site wont be here. and to me, the dark tower is something like the lord of the rings or harry potter, you know...
    “The thing under my bed waiting to grab my ankle isn’t real. I know that, and I also know that if I’m careful to keep my foot under the covers, it will never be able to grab my ankle.”

Gunslinger Apprentice MPatrick is on a distinguished road MPatrick's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've already posted my long-winded story on how I got hooked, but this series definitely impacted me more then any other story I have read.

I'm always reminded of it, Turtles and Bears and 19, oh my!

I have only read the last 3 once, and just finished W&G a couple of weeks ago. I'm reading a few other things at the moment, but will definitely get back and read Wolves soon.

I think I need to wait until I read DTVII again though. Has to be after the baseball season. As I finished DTVII, the Red Sox came back from down 3-0 and broke my heart...

I almost swore that I would never read it again. Almost...

Traveler Russ is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Has anyone else ever had this?

I may sound like a weirdo, but the last month I've been going through some tough times. My family has been ripped apart. I lost my grandmother and then my parents separated and are going thru a nasty divorce, and even at 24 that still hurts. And even though I got a great fiance and friends to lean on, I have started to re-read The Dark Tower. Seems like just getting lost in Mid-World for hours makes me forget about everything. Just reading 50 or 60 pages a night can make me forget any worries or anxiety I have.

And an edit : I really with the new book was coming out now. But just the news made me excited as hell.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

hey russ,

Although not been through exactly what is going on in your life, I have had to deal with some really crappy things. And I agree that sometimes Mid world is like an escape (its a shame we have to stop reading sometimes) when I get into a really good book the real world ceases to exist around me (much to the annoyance of those close to me)

I really hope things get better for you, I am sending some good thoughts your way and if you ever need a chat, we are here for you

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I agree. When the world sucks, I come here, and talk to my tower junky friends and get lost in his world, and it makes it better for a while. It makes the world seem a lot less big and less scary.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus will become famous soon enough The Road Virus's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Books are def one of (probably thee) best man-made coping mechanisms. DT is such a gripping tale (and since it is some of my favorite books by my favorite author) I would totally agree and say yes to what you are asking with this thread.

Ps, I hope things get better for you very soon.
    "If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you will never change the outcome" -Michael Jordan

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Whenever I am having a rough day at home with my kids, I just escape to mid-world and The Dark Tower Series. When I read these books, I feel like I am more than just a boring housewife. I actually pretend I am another gunslinger with Roland. When I read these books I feel like I am on a great adventure without ever having to leave my house.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My best wishes to you, Russ. Remember "This too shall pass"!!

And Pixiedark? You are no boring housewife, you are the dark and mysterious "Pixiedark76"!!!! Never forget that, you enigma!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I like to sometimes pretend that I'm a gunslinger and that I can fix problems with guns... even in the nude... and that I have a talking furry friend, and people who would die for me, and even if they don't always understand me, they love me anyways, and will go to the ends of all worlds for me.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    My best wishes to you, Russ. Remember "This too shall pass"!!

And Pixiedark? You are no boring housewife, you are the dark and mysterious "Pixiedark76"!!!! Never forget that, you enigma!!!

Awww thanks that is so sweet!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You got it, darlin'
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler Russ is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the support guys. It's been rough but seems that it's finally getting easier. Just basically trying to surround myself with positivity lately, and of course re-reading the series and now the comics. Thing is, the guy my mom is seeing looks like Eldred to a T lol. The temptation to call him Sai Jonas is sooo tempting, but I know he won't get it.

Traveler Geomon is on a distinguished road Geomon's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I made it out of my late teens the same way, ignored what was going on around me and stuck to the books.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Books cannot replace human-love BUT still they can be really really good friends. They can give you home and support. And dreams.

Roland would have understood.

Traveler Lady Santos will become famous soon enough Lady Santos's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone, I'm a short-term lurker, first time poster. I realize this is an older thread but the subject was just so profound for me I wanted to write a reply to it

My BF first introduced me to The Gunslinger in 2009.

Last year, I finished the series. I hoped to draw it out a long time, because I always feel so sad when I finish a great series...like these characters have moved on, for lack of a better phrase, to go do their own thing. I skipped school for a day to read the entire 7th book....up at dawn and to bed at dawn the next day. I cried the whole way through, because THIS WAS IT.

I can't begin to describe the ways that this series has changed my life. The best example is when I started a new job a few months ago as a student nurse/hab tech/caregiver to a beautiful and fiesty pre-teen with a serious developmental disease ( can't talk, can't walk without help, can't use her hands, etc) and my first day I was in tears because I felt so inept. I was actually wishing I had never left my minimum wage gym job, where I was constantly upset, because her needs were just so over my head. Instead of running away, I went back the next day. I kept thinking about Roland, and saying "When he went through THAT, well, nothing could be harder than that, so I can do this small thing," or even getting kind of embarrassed because to Roland I would be useless with that kind of attitude. I stayed there, and I hope that every day that I work with this girl, who is a tower of strength and love in herself, that she sees that I believe she is a gunslinger as well, even if she can't use her hands, because after all,-"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind."

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Well said. Welcome.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

thankee-sai harrison!

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before...

It's pretty simple, how this series has changed my life. Not only has is lead to introducing me to many other fantastics books, films, and bands, but I have also met so many people on this fantastic boards.....including my absolute best friend and boyfriend

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

The DT has a way of bringing people together

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Santos View Post
    I can't begin to describe the ways that this series has changed my life. The best example is when I started a new job a few months ago as a student nurse/hab tech/caregiver to a beautiful and fiesty pre-teen with a serious developmental disease ( can't talk, can't walk without help, can't use her hands, etc) and my first day I was in tears because I felt so inept. I was actually wishing I had never left my minimum wage gym job, where I was constantly upset, because her needs were just so over my head. Instead of running away, I went back the next day. I kept thinking about Roland, and saying "When he went through THAT, well, nothing could be harder than that, so I can do this small thing," or even getting kind of embarrassed because to Roland I would be useless with that kind of attitude. I stayed there, and I hope that every day that I work with this girl, who is a tower of strength and love in herself, that she sees that I believe she is a gunslinger as well, even if she can't use her hands, because after all,-"I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
    I shoot with my mind."

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

aw, just now saw this. Thankee sai, Jean. The DK has a way of making us strong and pushing ourselves, which is the numbero uno reason I love these books so much!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

How has it affected my life? Well, for one thing, it really got me keen to read more of King's work, although overall I'm still more of a Tower junkie. Also, it gave me and dad a book series to talk about, which was cool. In bigger ways, though, it lead me to a wonderful community with some amazing members, and it also lead me to meeting the most amazing and wonderful woman I've ever met, of which I'm not thankful enough. In fact, I've just seen that she's posted some thoughts in here, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before...

It's pretty simple, how this series has changed my life. Not only has is lead to introducing me to many other fantastics books, films, and bands, but I have also met so many people on this fantastic boards.....including my absolute best friend and boyfriend
    God, I love this woman.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast