Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 456 of 567 FirstFirst ... 356 406 446 454 455 456 457 458 466 506 556 ... LastLast
Results 11,376 to 11,400 of 14174

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If a gift is presented at your seat, I dont see the harm of grabbing it.
    But then, I am definitely not a VIP or celeb
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Perhaps my thought didn't translate well.
    I was only guessing, but that at the time, a VIP event at The Tavern On The Green was such that, many of the guests would have either not cared about "grabbing" leftovers, or have felt that "grabbing" the leftovers would be socially embarrassing.

New York Social events have some very quirky rules.

• I don't want to arrive first
    • I don't want to be the last person there
    • It's not about me, but having been invited, I will try to follow the first two rules...unless of course I'm more important
    • I wouldn't be caught dead picking up the flotsam and jetsam of promo/gift items left over
    • If my assistant doesn't grab it, they are fired

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    • I wouldn't be caught dead picking up the flotsam and jetsam of promo/gift items left over
    LOL!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps my thought didn't translate well.
    I was only guessing, but that at the time, a VIP event at The Tavern On The Green was such that, many of the guests would have either not cared about "grabbing" leftovers, or have felt that "grabbing" the leftovers would be socially embarrassing.

• I don't want to arrive first
    • I don't want to be the last person there
    • It's not about me, but having been invited, I will try to follow the first two rules...unless of course I'm more important

LOL Insightful talk for a guy with a flower in his hair!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

HI guys, long time no post.
    Question about "Mrs Todd's Shortcut" in Yankee Magazine. I was searching for an affordable copy on Ebay and came accross two different covers. Content inside is the same.

Any idea which one is rarer?

Thanks,

Nick
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no idea what the one with the barcode is.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here.... All the copies I have of Yankee magazine are ones without the barcode. I assume the ones without barcodes were mailed & the barcoded are newsstand issues.
    IMHO The one with the barcodes are rarer because I don't feel that many of those were sold outside of the New England due to lack of interest in other states.

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

Makes sense. The one without the bar code the seller was in New Hampshire. The one with the bar code the seller was in Denver, CO.

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Same here.... All the copies I have of Yankee magazine are ones without the barcode. I assume the ones without barcodes were mailed & the barcoded are newsstand issues.
    IMHO The one with the barcodes are rarer because I don't feel that many of those were sold outside of the New England due to lack of interest in other states.
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments! I had both devils and angels on my side!
    After all of this I can officially conclude this saga. I made a counteroffer one last time just to see if he would try and see things my way. Surprisingly he did! I will soon be the proud owner(FINALLY)of a Frankenstein S/L and this gal is a HAPPY one
    Way to go, Lori!! Good for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Huge congrats Lori. Very jealous! That's a holy grail of mine.
    Thanks fellas! I received it on Tuesday and having never seen the illustrations outside of the internet I have to say that it was totally worth it

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    There is a copy of The New Lieutenant's Rap for sale on eBay. In the listing the seller repeats the story we have all heard that King was so upset that some guests left their copies of TNLR on their tables that he locked the rest of the copies in his safe where they remain today.

My questions are: Do we know if this is true? If you repeat something often enough it becomes a fact to some collectors. Who is the source that first reported on King's anger? An employee at Tavern On The Green? Another guest? Has anyone ever seen in an interview where King mentions his anger/disappointment and subsequent locking up the remainder of the copies?

I just wonder sometimes if this stuff we read is true. Anyone know of any proof or documentation to this story?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I just wonder sometimes if this stuff we read is true. Anyone know of any proof or documentation to this story?
    The Moderator of the SKMB stated in post #14632 dated Nov 13, 2014: "No. He understands when people do it if that's the reason but that's never the thought going into it. He wanted to give the people attending the party a treat. In addition to a copy of The New Lieutenant's Rap (which a lot of people left behind unopened BTW--I'll bet they're kicking themselves now!), we got a peace sign necklace and a copy of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon as that came out the same day as the party was held. And a great party/dinner at Tavern on the Green. ;-D

Same thing for the original versions of The Plant. They were meant to be Christmas card/gifts and were never meant to be distributed for sale."
    Why the hell wouldn't people take it with them??
    As I understand it the guests were not only book people (writers, publishers, agents,etc.) but also from the entertainment sector as well as others. Lots of the guests may have had no idea what it was or its value to collectors.

And speaking of the guest list can anyone believe King didn't invite Bill Thompson to the damned party celebrating the publishing anniversary of Carrie?
    I posted a question on SK.com in the discussion section for TNLR. Hopefully Ms. Mod will answer the question (although I don't believe Marsha was King's XA at the time). The message is of course moderated so It likely won't be approved until Tuesday or Wednesday.

My post:
    There is a long standing rumor that at the party" "Reportedly, approximately 28-42 copies were left on the table and thrown
    out by staff that night. None were recovered from trash. Stephen was so
    disgusted that drunk guests did this, that he took the remaining 380+
    copies and placed them in his office safe in Bangor, where they remain
    to this day."
    Is that true?

http://stephenking.com/library/limit...s_rap_the.html

Here is the answer posted by the Moderator on King's board:

"Yes and no. There are copies remaining from the original print run and some guests did not take their copy not realizing what it was but that is not the reason they're in safe storage."

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe this was already pointed out but I realized today that Bev's book SK Illustrated companion has two different "first editions" and one of them has an extra reproduction. Those published under Metro Books have also the reproduction of the title page of Pet Sematary's manuscript, a page that is missing from those copies published under Fall River Press. I compared lots of copies to confirm this (more than 30 copies).
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Great observation. Hopefully Bev will provide some insight on this.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Maybe this was already pointed out but I realized today that Bev's book SK Illustrated companion has two different "first editions" and one of them has an extra reproduction. Those published under Metro Books have also the reproduction of the title page of Pet Sematary's manuscript, a page that is missing from those copies published under Fall River Press. I compared lots of copies to confirm this (more than 30 copies).
    I always thought that reprints had NO extra contents
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not the 2013 reprint. It's the edition from 2009. It's very likely (I didn't check it) that Fall River Press imprint was acquired or changed to Metro Books.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not the 2013 reprint. It's the edition from 2009. It's very likely (I didn't check it) that Fall River Press imprint was acquired or changed to Metro Books.
    They are both owned by Sterling Publishing which is owned by Barnes and Noble.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

My Fall River Press edition has the title page of Pet Sematary's manuscript.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I haven't checked this myself, but I'd be surprised if there were differences. Regardless of what press name appears on the spine, the books were all produced by becker&mayer! on their behalf.

There were two printings of the first edition (perhaps indistinguishable) and then a second edition with new material in the text but without the envelopes.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

What page #, and what image are we to look at to confirm?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's just the chapter of Pet Sematary. Inside the envelope one of the editions doesn't have the title page reproduction. The other one has it.

I sold more than 40 copies through my store and the first time I saw this I thought it was an error. Then I noticed it happened with lots of copies. I checked mine (Fall River) and it didn't have the reproduction.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine doesn't have it either. I have a total of 3 pages numbered 33,34 and 35 on the top right.
    Page 33 has a handwritten comment on the back.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bev,

I want my money back!

<---------------------------------Looks for sarcasm emoticon, but doesn't want neg rep...

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I seem to remember something about a T.S. list and a chaplain...

Country
    Country Flag

It's just the chapter of Pet Sematary. Inside the envelope one of the editions doesn't have the title page reproduction. The other one has it.

I sold more than 40 copies through my store and the first time I saw this I thought it was an error. Then I noticed it happened with lots of copies. I checked mine (Fall River) and it didn't have the reproduction.
    Any pictures?
    (Obviously if Bev do not mind)

I just checked my copies. Fall River Press is the first printing (per the number line on the CP) and doesn't have the cover page for the PS insert. Metro is the second printing of the first edition and has the cover page for PS. Must have been something that happened during the second print run/assembly.

Along the Path of the Beam Ockhamistic has a spectacular aura about Ockhamistic has a spectacular aura about Ockhamistic's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hello all,

What would be a reasonable price for an unfolded replacement dustjacket for a Phantasia Press, Numbered Firestarter?

Thanks,
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 456 of 567 FirstFirst ... 356 406 446 454 455 456 457 458 466 506 556 ... LastLast