Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 411 of 567 FirstFirst ... 311 361 401 409 410 411 412 413 421 461 511 ... LastLast
Results 10,251 to 10,275 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

What is the traycase for the numbered S/L Subterranean Press The Shining made of? Is it leather, or something similar? Or is it cloth or something cloth-like? The reason I ask is because all the pictures of these traycases on ebay always look like they have smudges or fingerprints or dark marks on them. Is it just a trick of the light or the material maybe? See below links to a couple of ebay listings for examples. Both examples have darker areas around the traycase that look 'smudgy,' for lack of a better word.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stephen-King...8AAOSwU~FWEkDA
    Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It might be a bad photo. Mine looks okay...

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    It might be a bad photo. Mine looks okay...

Yes, that looks great (congrats, BTW). Maybe it is a trick of the light and/or a bad photo? Did you look at the main photo in the below listing? Do you see what I mean about the 'dark spots' around the lower half of the traycase? I don't mean to ask the same question again, but I really just want to make sure I'm not imagining it Thank you for posting the picture of your copy as a counterpoint.

Gunslinger Apprentice terrier91 has a spectacular aura about terrier91 has a spectacular aura about terrier91's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[IMG][/IMG]

Any thoughts on the signature? I'm not big on inscriptions, but at least it's my middle name, haha. It is a paperback, but I have a signed mass market I am Legend that would go nicely with it as two of the best three vampire books I've ever read.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks good to me.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that signature is legit

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks okay to me.

John

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I'm not the King-sig expert that many around here are, but that one looks good to me.

Gunslinger Apprentice terrier91 has a spectacular aura about terrier91 has a spectacular aura about terrier91's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys. I'm still learning the nuances and changes in King's signature over the years.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's good.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed, that's a good signature!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will pile on- that sig is legit.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Silly Question Time....

I'm gonna blame this on the very little sleep achieved over the last 36 hours. . I just can't to seem to noodle this through.

Did Grant do multiple printings of the first editions of their DT editions? That is, if someone is advertising a "first edition, still in the shrinkwrap" copy of The Drawing of the Three will it be a first printing, or could there be later ones?

Thanks!
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    Silly Question Time....

I'm gonna blame this on the very little sleep achieved over the last 36 hours. . I just can't to seem to noodle this through.

Did Grant do multiple printings of the first editions of their DT editions? That is, if someone is advertising a "first edition, still in the shrinkwrap" copy of The Drawing of the Three will it be a first printing, or could there be later ones?

Thanks!
    There was an 11,000 copy second edition of The Drawing of the Three.

I think the first edition was one printing.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

I checked the catalog and it seemed that the 1998 second edition is refered to as a Gift edition.
    So if it shows the 1987 first trade edition cover, it is the "true" first and will be a first print as well?

I really shouldnt be doing this when I'm this tired, but I need to stay awake at least until she gets home.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Silly Question Time....

Thanks!
    There was an 11,000 copy second edition of The Drawing of the Three.

I think the first edition was one printing.
    and it looks completely different, no chance of confusing the two.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Got it!!!

Thanks,
    Chris

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is also an artist signed first printing that is still available from Grant for $75 plus $3 shipping.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Got it!!!

Thanks,
    Chris

So, in the end the catalog was indeed your friend? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The second printing of the Grant Drawing of the Three was part of the three-book set, issued in slipcase, later. The set had a third printing Gunslinger, a second printing Drawing of the Three and a first printing of The Waste Lands all in a slipcase. It's retail price was $99.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The second printing of the Grant Drawing of the Three was part of the three-book set, issued in slipcase, later. The set had a third printing Gunslinger, a second printing Drawing of the Three and a first printing of The Waste Lands all in a slipcase. It's retail price was $99.

John

I think i get it!! I think i was somehow confusing edition with printing. Correct me if i'm wrong but it would go like this...
    The 1987 publication was the first printing of the first edition.
    The 1998 publication was the second printing of the first edition.

Later editions usually indicate major changes to the body of the text, yes?

IF, lets pretend, in 2004, there had been significant changes to the text, there would have been a...
    First printing of the Second edition, and because it sold so well there may be a
    Second printing of the Second edition.
    Sound right?

Thanks for helping out. Kind of embarrasing sometimes to realize all the "collecting 101" things you still need to learn!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

To the text or to the book design. For example, one of the artists completely redid the artwork for a later version of the book. The cover is different, the book plates are different, but King's text is exactly the same -- they're different editions.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The second printing [edition] of the Grant Drawing of the Three was part of the three-book set, issued in slipcase, later. The set had a third printing Gunslinger, a second printing [edition] Drawing of the Three and a first printing of The Waste Lands all in a slipcase. It's retail price was $99.

John

I think i get it!! I think i was somehow confusing edition with printing. Correct me if i'm wrong but it would go like this...
    The 1987 publication was the first printing of the first edition.
    The 1998 publication was the second printing of the first edition.

IF, lets pretend, in 2004, there had been significant changes to the text, there would have been a...
    First printing of the Second edition, and because it sold so well there may be a
    Second printing of the Second edition.
    Sound right?

Thanks for helping out. Kind of embarrasing sometimes to realize all the "collecting 101" things you still need to learn!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    To the text or to the book design. For example, one of the artists completely redid the artwork for a later version of the book. The cover is different, the book plates are different, but King's text is exactly the same -- they're different editions.
    You pretty much got it. There is still a little confusion though.

The three-book set contained a first edition third printing of The Gunslinger. This was basically the same format as the first two printings. Even though the dustjacket is quite a bit different the overall book wasn't changed enough to justify calling it a different (second) edition.

The set also contained a second edition first printing of The Drawing of the Three. This isn't a second printing of the first edition. The artwork for this was completely redone just like Bev mentioned. Not just the dustjacket but throughout. That justified the change of edition.

The set also contained a first edition first printing of The Wastelands.

There were no first edition second printings after The Gunslinger until The Song of Susannah Wolves of the Calla. There are various artist and limited editions.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

There were no first edition second printings after The Gunslinger until The Song of Susannah. There are various artist and limited editions.
    I have a 1st edition later printing of Wolves. I think once Scribner came into play with book 5 they started doing later printings.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 411 of 567 FirstFirst ... 311 361 401 409 410 411 412 413 421 461 511 ... LastLast