Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 387 of 567 FirstFirst ... 287 337 377 385 386 387 388 389 397 437 487 ... LastLast
Results 9,651 to 9,675 of 14175

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

I agree the book is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, I WOULD write the book off as a loss, let the other two artists start over (tell them your story), offer to pay them again, if they charge pay them , if not, you did the right thing and they
    From what I know and have seen, I find it hard to believe that you would write $700+ off as a loss.
    The book is going somewhere. It is the property of someone other than than the decedent and or the heirs of the deceased person; therefore it should be returned to the owner.
    Just because a person dies, it doesn't mean that things found in situ are now property of the estate.
    The book needs to be promptly returned to its rightful owner.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm getting out of the way of this freight train!!! Another, "Merlin1958" incident averted!!! Happy Memorial Day to all our lost and serving veterans!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

I agree the book is insignificant in the grand scheme of things, I WOULD write the book off as a loss, let the other two artists start over (tell them your story), offer to pay them again, if they charge pay them , if not, you did the right thing and they
    From what I know and have seen, I find it hard to believe that you would write $700+ off as a loss.
    The book is going somewhere. It is the property of someone other than than the decedent and or the heirs of the deceased person; therefore it should be returned to the owner.
    Just because a person dies, it doesn't mean that things found in situ are now property of the estate.
    Brings up a good point about estate planning, if I was a business owner, or a buyer/seller of SK books, your spouse, significant other or business partner should be aware of inventory, accounts receivable and accounts payable. People will WANT their books, refunds, etc...

AND yes after a few gentle reminders, I would write off the $700. Several members were ripped off by STEVEO or humpo, and tried, but finally had to let go of the fact that they were never getting their goods or money back and I am sure the $1000 will never come to the member that you referenced in another thread.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    On a collecting question, I had one about the UK Colorado Kid and their too many editions. I've noticed some books, not signed, have no dust jacket but the artwork is printed on the book cover itself. Are these editions the ones that are 10,000 copies each edition of 3....so 30,000 copies total? And the value would be? Thanks.
    Here are the editions I am aware of with issue price

1st editions: 2007

Hardcover, unsigned - £25
    3,333 copies illustrated by Edward Miller - ISBN 978-1-905834-01-3
    3,333 copies illustrated by J.K. Potter - ISBN 978-1-905834-02-0
    3,333 copies illustrated by Glenn Chadbourne - ISBN 978-1-905834-03-7

Hardcover, artist signed - £50
    333 copies illustrated by Edward Miller - ISBN 978-1-905834-04-4
    333 copies illustrated by J.K. Potter - ISBN 978-1-905834-05-1
    333 copies illustrated by Glenn Chadbourne - ISBN 978-1-905834-06-8

Slipcased Hardcover, author and artist signed £125
    150 copies illustrated by Edward Miller - ISBN 978-1-905834-07-5
    150 copies illustrated by J.K. Potter - ISBN 978-1-905834-08-2
    150 copies illustrated by Glenn Chadbourne - ISBN 978-1-905834-09-9

Traycased, Gilt-edged, Leatherbound Hardcover, author and all three artists signed £375
    33 copies illustrated by Edward Miller - ISBN 978-1-905834-10-5
    33 copies illustrated by J.K. Potter - ISBN 978-1-905834-11-2
    33 copies illustrated by Glenn Chadbourne - ISBN 978-1-905834-12-9

Thanks to The Collector for the information.

2nd editions: 2010, unsigned, printed boards, no jacket £25

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King - a 300-copy reprint which features all three of the original PS covers but none of the interior art-pieces.
    The print run will be split into three:
    (i) JK Potter cover; Chadbourne front endpapers; Miller rear endpapers;
    (ii) Glenn Chadbourne cover; Miller front endpapers; Potter rear endpapers;
    (iii) Edward Miller cover; Potter front endpapers; Chadbourne rear endpapers.
    There is only one ISBN for all three states. 978-1-848631-26-7

Thanks to Biomieg for previously posting this information from PS.

2013 reprint, unsigned, plain boards, dustjacket £25

Glenn Chadbourne cover
    Edward Miller cover
    These have the same ISBN as the 2010 editions. 978-1-848631-26-7

The first editions are worth about $50, $100, $250, $550 each.
    The Chadbourne 2010 second edition is still available for £25 from PS.
    The 2010 and 2013 sell on eBay for $35-$70 for some strange and unknown reason. I don't see them as collectible.
    Brian, this should also be posted in the SK Collectibles WIKI thread. The information is invaluable.

John

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

Brian, this should also be posted in the SK Collectibles WIKI thread. The information is invaluable.

John
    Good idea. I posted it in the Wiki First Editions thread.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post924159
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

+ 1

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I'm getting out of the way of this freight train!!! Another, "Merlin1958" incident averted!!!
    LOL!

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

Not a per sa collecting question, bus a shipping question.

I need to ship a set of audio tapes to Canada from USA.

What's the best way? What do I put down on the customs forms? Do I need to insure it?

Any info and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Papaseraphim View Post
    Not a per sa collecting question, bus a shipping question.

I need to ship a set of audio tapes to Canada from USA.

What's the best way? What do I put down on the customs forms? Do I need to insure it?

Any info and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
    PM me. I can help.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Small package, boxed, "used audio cassettes" on the customs form. The price difference between a small package and Expedited (cheapest way to get a tracking number and insurance) is around $10 and not worth it for something like used audio tapes. I figure this is a gift because why would anyone in the US pay $10-15 for shipping alone when they can get the tapes locally for less than that.

TL; DR version: cheapest option you can get + a sturdy box

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

Thanks "WeDealInLead"

The tapes are this:
    Skeleton Crew: Book 1. Recorded Books, 1985. Narrated by Frank Muller. Six audio cassettes. Includes the following: "The Man Who Wouldn't Shake Hands", "Word Processor of the Gods", "The Raft", "The Reaper's Image", "The Monkey", "Cain Rose Up", "Morning Delivery", "Big Wheels", "For Owen", "Survivor Type", "The Reach", "Uncle Otto's Truck", "The Jaunt" and "Beachworld". Fine in a clamshell case.

So I want to make sure it arrives safe and I want to be able to track it.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Small package, boxed, "used audio cassettes" on the customs form. The price difference between a small package and Expedited (cheapest way to get a tracking number and insurance) is around $10 and not worth it for something like used audio tapes. I figure this is a gift because why would anyone in the US pay $10-15 for shipping alone when they can get the tapes locally for less than that.

TL; DR version: cheapest option you can get + a sturdy box
    The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Gunslinger Apprentice KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired

Could use advice on storing some of my SK collection.

Some of his longer books can suffer from sagging pages. I don't know what you'd call this exactly. Page block sag? When the weight of all those pages in the middle over time creates a curvature in the page block and I think damages the spine, binding, page block, etc.

What I just decided to do earlier today to combat this is turn all my most valuable books upside down for a couple months. After a bit, I plan to flip them back over. Theoretically, I'm hoping to balance out the weight of the pages over time and eliminate this sag.

Here's my question: is this a bad idea for any reason? Is there something else I'm hurting by implementing this 'fix'? These are some of my best volumes and I want to be proactive about keeping them in great shape. Advice most appreciated!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by KingKornKarn View Post

Some of his longer books can suffer from sagging pages. I don't know what you'd call this exactly. Page block sag? When the weight of all those pages in the middle over time creates a curvature in the page block and I think damages the spine, binding, page block, etc.

What I just decided to do earlier today to combat this is turn all my most valuable books upside down for a couple months. After a bit, I plan to flip them back over. Theoretically, I'm hoping to balance out the weight of the pages over time and eliminate this sag.

Here's my question: is this a bad idea for any reason? Is there something else I'm hurting by implementing this 'fix'? These are some of my best volumes and I want to be proactive about keeping them in great shape. Advice most appreciated!
    While I can see turning them upside down as a short term fix I don't think that it will solve the problem.

You can put a piece of acrylic (sized properly and smoothed) under the page block to support it. For instance the space on top or bottom of the page block on an Insomnia is about 2" by 6" by 3/16". You can put the support on the shelf or add it in when you bag the book. (Yes I bag my books.)

You can also lay the book flat. There is no rule against it.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I've heard stacking books on top of each other (several), the weight, is bad over time. Maybe they are sagging because you don't run a/c or the room they are in is quite humid? Too much sun? I've had books for no less then 5 years all standing straight up, next to each other, pushing against each other and holding each other up so to speak. I haven't had any problems yet.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post

While I can see turning them upside down as a short term fix I don't think that it will solve the problem.

You can put a piece of acrylic (sized properly and smoothed) under the page block to support it. For instance the space on top or bottom of the page block on an Insomnia is about 2" by 6" by 3/16". You can put the support on the shelf or add it in when you bag the book. (Yes I bag my books.)

You can also lay the book flat. There is no rule against it.
    I think you're dealing with this as intelligently as you can. We all know this problem with SK (The Stand, UTD, etc). I like the simple piece of acrylic to support the main weight of the pages. Nice, simple & cheap!
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Where are you guys buying the acrylic and is it cut to size, or do you have to cut it yourself?

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Even styrofoam or any stable kind of spacer would do it. Home Depot or Craft stores should be able to find SOMETHING that would work.
    WANTED

Country
    Country Flag

We all know that for many editions the dustjacket seems to be one of the main drivers of market price. With many of our collector editions now not only including DJs, but also slipcovers and/or clamshell cases (ie CD Doctor Sleep, Grant LSOE, etc) are most of you keeping them directly on your shelves, getting a custom slipcover (Dolso, Jeff, whoever) or putting them in mylar bags while they're even on display. I wasn't so much worried about grime with LSOE with that dark blue, but have become increasingly aware with Doctor Sleep and now the glossy slipcovers on the PS editions.

My collection is 95% purely for my own enjoyment, but they're also a tiny bit of of speculative investment. I also consider myself a guardian for them in a way. I rarely take them from the glass doored bookcase, so am I perhaps going a bit overboard in wanting to slipcasing the slipcases/traycases? LOL!
    WANTED

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Where are you guys buying the acrylic and is it cut to size, or do you have to cut it yourself?
    You can buy it at Lowe's or Michael's. Either building supply or craft stores have it.

I cut it myself, but I own the saw to do that. I then sand/polish the edges.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure everyone knows about the errata slip for the Grant gift edition of Desperation. However, the error wasn't discovered until after several hundred copies of the book were sent out. For those copies, Robert Wiener sent out a very apologetic letter along with the errata sheet. Do many people have a copy of that letter with their book? I wasn't aware that the letter existed until recently, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it (I have oddly specific collecting tastes). Assuming I pick one up, I'll post a picture in a relevant thread. Does anyone else go out of their way to collect ephemera like this? It's too bad that physical artifacts like this are becoming rarer and rarer now that most communication is digital.
    Last edited by Robert Fulman; 05-27-2015 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Fixing typos due to tiny phone keyboard.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    I'm everyone knows about the errata slip for the Grant gift edition of Desperation. However, the error wasn't discovered until after several hundred copies of the book were sent out. For those copies, Robert Wiener sent out a very apologetic letter along with the errata sheet. Do many people have a copy of that letter with their book? I wasn't aware that the letter existed until recently, but I haven't nt been able to stop thinking about it (I have oddly specific collecting tastes). Assuming I pick one up, I'll post a picture in a relevant thread. Does anyone else go out of their way to collect ephemera like this? its too. As that physical artifacts like this are becoming rarer and rarer now that most communication is digital.
    Interesting! I never knew such a letter existed. I do have the errata slip, but no letter.

John

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I just added a picture of the errata slip to the catalog as it was missing. Be interesting to see this letter too.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    I'm sure everyone knows about the errata slip for the Grant gift edition of Desperation. However, the error wasn't discovered until after several hundred copies of the book were sent out. For those copies, Robert Wiener sent out a very apologetic letter along with the errata sheet. Do many people have a copy of that letter with their book? I wasn't aware that the letter existed until recently, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it (I have oddly specific collecting tastes). Assuming I pick one up, I'll post a picture in a relevant thread. Does anyone else go out of their way to collect ephemera like this? It's too bad that physical artifacts like this are becoming rarer and rarer now that most communication is digital.
    Yes, I also collect ephemera like this. I checked, and no letter.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is the letter:

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Tried to find the answer with search but got too many hits.

Question: Just realized how much less "media mail" is than regular shipping. Do people use this when shipping books here? I've been way overpaying if people do, but don't want to go that route if there is an issue with it?

thanks for any advice!
    curt

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I use Media Mail quite frequently. At times, can take a bit longer. BUT, typically, when the package is insured for a decent amount, they expedite it a bit.

I've had no issues.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 387 of 567 FirstFirst ... 287 337 377 385 386 387 388 389 397 437 487 ... LastLast