Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 293 of 567 FirstFirst ... 193 243 283 291 292 293 294 295 303 343 393 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,325 of 14175

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

By the moment I started visiting and posting on US forums about Stephen King, I heard about a supercollector named Charlie Fried who sold his masive collection before moving to Florida, where he passed away less than a year later. Some of those items were purchased by other collectors and shown in this forum and the previous one (dt.com). Now, of those who met Fried and saw his collection, which were those impossible items he had and now you lost track of? Which other supercollectors sold their collections before. So far I only know Chris' collection, but I remember hearing about a woman in Japan who also passed away and was supposed to have a magnificent collection as well.

I'd really love to know more about these first big collectors.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the photos in Beahm's book Stephen King Collectibles were taken using items from Charlie's collection. That would be a good starting place to see what he had.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I'd really love to know more about these first big collectors.
    I only met Charlie Fried once but I e-mailed with him for a few years. He was one of the first people I knew who collected King extensively. And he did a lot of business with Stu Tinker at Betts so Stu threw his name out there a lot which enhanced his reputation as the biggest King collector. He was a really nice guy and I am glad to say that I knew him. When he decided to sell his collection Chris Cavalier and I were given first dibs. It was sold through Betts but Charlie had asked Stu to let Chris and me look over the list first. We both bought a bunch of stuff and Stu had to make tough decisions when we both expressed interest in a couple of items. But it all worked out in the end. I bought the "Doubleday Files" from Charlie's collection. I guess that mass of documents and letters was my biggest acquisition from Charlie. That and the UK Different Seasons proof. By today's standards Charlie's collection was probably pretty modest. And Chris and I both agreed that condition was not a real priority for Charlie. He apparently never upgraded his collection with nicer condition copies. Some of the things we bought were not in the best condition. But, still, he is widely regarded as the first of the breed of "supercollectors" and he was a kind and gentlemanly guy. So sorry he is gone.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Never got the chance to meet Charlie, though we talked on the phone a few times, but we exchanged emails for years and years and I considered him a good friend. He was a great guy.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I was able to purchase a copy S/L of Colorado Kid with my favorite cover (of the 3) from JK Potter/PS Publishing for $227 + shipping

Is that about the going price? or did i get a good deal?

This is the only info i had to go on at the auction time: From SK Collector.
    A limited edition of 450 copies. Numbered, slipcased and signed by SK and the contributing illustrator. $300 - $400

Thanks in advance!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guys, I was working with a guy off the site I know (small collector) to buy his Dome S/L. I seen it quickly awhile ago but never had a "close" look. The price seems good. The is deal is no longer cause his damage is so bad. Another member here has the same book and offered me the same price and his does not seem to be as bad. His has the same issue and the slip case is crushed a bit at the back. I looked on line and seen a few others like this. Are ANY of the 500 S/L's fine/fine? I am VERY into having a perfect collection but if they do not exist.... AND... what is a good price for this book considering the damage? Thanks!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have two copies of the UK Under the Dome signed limited, both in fine/fine. One is #231 of the 500, the other I've never opened. They do exist.

John

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I've seen heaps of fine copies over the years. Both some for sale and some in people's collection. Not sure of value but if you want perfect, hold off as they are out there.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What would you guys price perfect at and crushed case at?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

GUY, fine is around $250, less-than-fine will cost you whatever you paid + the price of a F one when you upgrade it. Do it right and get one in fine condition.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    GUY, fine is around $250, less-than-fine will cost you whatever you paid + the price of a F one when you upgrade it. Do it right and get one in fine condition.
    Thanks... your in Canada I see! Not many of us on here... haha Our dollar don't smarten up we will be just trading with each other soon. lol
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for your answers about Charlie Fried, guys. I'll try to get a copy of SK Collectibles.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looking for some input into the number of PC copies of the Drawing of the Three and the Waste Lands that were produced.

It has been confirmed that there were 12 PC copies of the Gunslinger, and this 12 number has been published for both DTII and DTIII as well. However, in recently talking to a very knowledgeable collector, he thought the number might be closer to 30-40.

Is there a definitive answer? Or is it all conjecture?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's what The Collector has to say:

DT II: http://skcollector.com/limited/dt2.html

DT III: http://skcollector.com/limited/dt3.html

John

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for your answers about Charlie Fried, guys. I'll try to get a copy of SK Collectibles.
    Ari, I bought several items from Charlie's collection also. I never met him but exchanged a few emails.
    But, I'll tell you the most unusual item I bought. Stu kept working me to buy this photo/autograph collection.
    Charlie built this album from all the King movies of pictures of the actors/actresses and their autographs.
    It's actually a fascinating collection and I got it for a good price, I had it appraised and there are quite a few
    famous autographs, one that is worth a lot is River Phoenix. But, I still don't collect autographs and I am not
    particularly a King movie buff either. There were several King photos, Rock Bottom Remainder photos and
    some other King autographed items in the collection that made it worth it for me. So, I still have, probably
    the only one, a collection of King movie actors autographs!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    Ari, I bought several items from Charlie's collection also. I never met him but exchanged a few emails.
    But, I'll tell you the most unusual item I bought. Stu kept working me to buy this photo/autograph collection.
    Charlie built this album from all the King movies of pictures of the actors/actresses and their autographs.
    It's actually a fascinating collection and I got it for a good price, I had it appraised and there are quite a few
    famous autographs, one that is worth a lot is River Phoenix. But, I still don't collect autographs and I am not
    particularly a King movie buff either. There were several King photos, Rock Bottom Remainder photos and
    some other King autographed items in the collection that made it worth it for me. So, I still have, probably
    Now that is a unique and very cool collection!! Congrats!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    I've always taken this as accurate, but now I'm wondering if its not one of those situations where it's just been repeated so many times it became truth. I'm in the process of selling my PC copy of DTIII and I don't want to mislead any potential buyers. I never questioned the 12 number until recently.

Country
    Country Flag

I would bet on 12 copies
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    I've always taken this as accurate, but now I'm wondering if its not one of those situations where it's just been repeated so many times it became truth. I'm in the process of selling my PC copy of DTIII and I don't want to mislead any potential buyers. I never questioned the 12 number until recently.
    I lifted this quote from a listing in a catalog from L. W. Currey years ago. It was a quote from a description of a "PC" copy of The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger. According to Donald M. Grant "Apparently there were...[a] dozen publishers' copies...The publishers' copies went to Robert Weiner and myself, with a couple going to individuals whose copies were lost in the mail."

I've always felt that this was the source for the number of twelve PC copies done of the first DT book. I have never seen it stated so definitively for the later books in the series. I think you are right in thinking it is one of those situations where something gets repeated many times and then becomes accepted fact. It is my guess that more than 12 PC copies were done for the next books as the print runs got higher and the potential need for PC copies increased. Somewhere in the back of my mind I have the numbers 40 to 50 for the PC copies of the later volumes. It just has to be more than 12 because PC copies of the later books are not really that rare. But this is just idle speculation on my part. I have no inside info.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    VERY COOL. I think that is pretty neat!
    I don't recall seeing that sectioon of your collection. I'm thinking it may have been after you left FL.?

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

VERY COOL. I think that is pretty neat!
    I don't recall seeing that sectioon of your collection. I'm thinking it may have been after you left FL.?
    Yea, it was about 2005 when Betts was selling Charlie's collection.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm hoping to acquire a S/L Regulators soon. The copy is #273. Other S/Ls in my collection are #229 though. Does anyone here have Regulators #229 and be interested in making a trade?

Also, if anyone has any other #229 S/Ls, please let me know if you'd consider a trade. Thanks!

John F. Kennedy Rugger will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey everybody, I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on the current value of the S/L 25th IT with the matching art portfolio (both fine). I am also wondering about the current value of the S/L edition of The Green Mile (fine). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    Hey everybody, I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on the current value of the S/L 25th IT with the matching art portfolio (both fine). I am also wondering about the current value of the S/L edition of The Green Mile (fine). Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Sales at Betts Books:

IT 25th Anniversary S/L #114 with matching #114 Portfolio - Fine/Fine - $850.
    The Green Mile S/L #15 - Fine/Fine - $1375

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I see Betts sold a portfolio on its own for $300. I'm really surprised at the resale value of these. Never imagined they would have gone so high.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 293 of 567 FirstFirst ... 193 243 283 291 292 293 294 295 303 343 393 ... LastLast