Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 157 of 567 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 155 156 157 158 159 167 207 257 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 14175

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

My 2 cents: my copy of NIGHT SHIFT is also an ex-library book, in much, much better shape (albeit priceclipped), and I got it for $45 from our fellow member Mulleins. So I'd say $100 for this book is way too much. Now if the DJ was in (much) better shape I would have gladly paid $100 for it so I could marry it to my book.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    My 2 cents: my copy of NIGHT SHIFT is also an ex-library book, in much, much better shape (albeit priceclipped), and I got it for $45 from our fellow member Mulleins. So I'd say $100 for this book is way too much. Now if the DJ was in (much) better shape I would have gladly paid $100 for it so I could marry it to my book.
    Thanks for your 2 cents Michaël. After a goods nights rest I think I have a dollar figure in mind for this book. It's probably less then what it will sell for so I'm not sure if I will even bid.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

I know this seller. He's not a member here but but lurks. He recently upgraded to a much nicer Night Shift 1st 1st and was going to leave the beat up one on his bookshelf thinking it would never sell for anything and then he saw this Ex Lib sale! No harm in seeing what he can get for his extra copy, IMHO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-NIG...item19c67d5e60

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    That Night Shift is totaled in my opinion. Not worth $25.
    I agree that we'd have to hunt long and hard to find a book like this in a carlosdetwieler or a shibus collection but I'd also have a hard time believing that they had NEVER owned a similar copy. Sure, if you feel comfortable spending $600 - $800 - $1000 for a better copy, then by all means go for it! But if you're trying to put a collection together & don't have that kind of money readily available, then this is the type of book you'd look at.

Seriously? You wouldn't bid on a first Night Shift for $8?? No matter what the condition... I've spent more than that on a paper-back book that I didn't even think I'd enjoy reading! More than that on one glass of wine!! As far as $25 goes (that's TWO glasses of wine), I'd assume that book restorers can do wonders with a book in poor condition..........turning that $25 or $35 book into a "Pride & Joy".
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

I agree with Dolso. I think it's an interesting conversation about how personal collecting can be. We all have aspirations to own a collection of FINE first editions but the reality is that there are budget restraints. Personally I will buy an item that's beat up if the inscription is personal and unique, or its something I really want but can't afford in pristine condition, or an item that is virtually impossible to find. Top on my want list is an original Marshroots. Would I settle for a copy that has water stains or a prior owner's name written in ink? If the price is consistent with condition then absolutely. I may never have another opportunity to own one - beat up or not. But for me price, budget and my list of collecting priorities are the driving forces.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Does anybody happen to know the approximate print run for Cemetery Dance's Advance uncorrected proof of Blockade Billy?

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

Sorry, I disagree.There's a big difference between a book in less than perfect condition and that one. That book is completely totaled and shouldn't be considered anything more than a reading copy. It's very disingenuous to claim that the only two choices are an $800 book or one that's completely trashed. There are plenty of books out there in far better condition than this that do not cost hundreds of dollars. The Night Shift I own is in "less than perfect" condition and I'm very happy with it, but the book listed is simply not worth anything more than a novelty purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post
    I agree that we'd have to hunt long and hard to find a book like this in a carlosdetwieler or a shibus collection but I'd also have a hard time believing that they had NEVER owned a similar copy. Sure, if you feel comfortable spending $600 - $800 - $1000 for a better copy, then by all means go for it! But if you're trying to put a collection together & don't have that kind of money readily available, then this is the type of book you'd look at.

Seriously? You wouldn't bid on a first Night Shift for $8?? No matter what the condition... I've spent more than that on a paper-back book that I didn't even think I'd enjoy reading! More than that on one glass of wine!! As far as $25 goes (that's TWO glasses of wine), I'd assume that book restorers can do wonders with a book in poor condition..........turning that $25 or $35 book into a "Pride & Joy".

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Does anybody happen to know the approximate print run for Cemetery Dance's Advance uncorrected proof of Blockade Billy?
    According to Brian Freeman, there were 60 copies of the "regular" ARC, and 16 copies of the white proof.

Regular proof:

White proof:

John

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, I disagree.There's a big difference between a book in less than perfect condition and that one. That book is completely totaled and shouldn't be considered anything more than a reading copy. It's very disingenuous to claim that the only two choices are an $800 book or one that's completely trashed. There are plenty of books out there in far better condition than this that do not cost hundreds of dollars. The Night Shift I own is in "less than perfect" condition and I'm very happy with it, but the book listed is simply not worth anything more than a novelty purchase.

Certainly, I'd agree - if it's your opinion that this book is worth nothing more than a novelty purchase then TO YOU it isn't. That doesn't mean that in someone elses eyes it might not be worth substantially more than what 's being asked for it. And, absolutely there is a huge difference in the books we're talking about (I'm not suggesting that an $8 book and an $800 book are the only options available). What I AM suggesting is that the old saying "one mans trash is another mans treasure" is true and that the value of anything is exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. That means that the value of this particular book might be $7.99 or it might be $107.99 -- there's no telling until the auction is over. For most of us, there is a balancing act during every purchase -- Am I willing to spend XX amount of money to receive this book in XX condition? That balancing act is different for every person.
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

My Mood
    Angry

I would never attempt to tell anyone what something should be worth to them. All I can do is offer my own opinion.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for all the "spirited" comments on this. I think if I can get the book for a a bargain price I would be happy with it even in this condition. I don't have a 1st of this book and quite frankly I'm not sure when I could afford a nice copy. I don't think anyone with a VG or Fine of this book for sale would be down for a twelve month "layaway" plan.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    According to Brian Freeman, there were 60 copies of the "regular" ARC, and 16 copies of the white proof.

Regular proof:

White proof:

John
    Thanks John
    I guess that leads to my next question... I'm not much for proofs, but one (Regular Proof) is available.
    Any opinions out there as to the value (appears unread)

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Ben Staad A crappy book will always be a crappy book! If you really must have a 1st of Night Shift Hang in there save your pennies until you can aford a decent copy.Hopefuly you don't smoke but pretend you do and put the price of a pack in a jar every day you will be surprized how soon you can aford the book you want. Besides the seller is asking $8 handling. what bookseller charges handling? AMAZON I don't think hes that big, Looks like padding the sale to me.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks John
    I guess that leads to my next question... I'm not much for proofs but one (Regular Proof) is available.
    Any opinions out there as to the value (appears unread)
    I wouldn't go more than $250 for one. 60 copies is a fairly limited print run, but BB is not that popular.

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you Dick. For the price, why not take a chance? BTW, a fellow member (Rusher) is an absolute wizard at repairing books with some relatively simple tricks and talent. I'm sure there are others that can apply the same talents and techniques to even a book as "totaled" as this one. Bet you could ask Hutch or Shibus as well. Rusher has sure amazed me in the past, plus there are plenty of firm's that "restore" books. At the right price it just may be worth the investment. Remember, there were only what? 12,000 firsts printed?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally i don't think the book is trashed far from it, i would rather have a book in that condition than none at all. Hell for the price it will go for it will mean that you will have a rare book and can then go on to other targets. If you ever come into any money and can upgrade its not as if you have wasted $100's on a poor copy!

If i didn't have to pay postage from the US i would bid on it!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey I am looking ofr opinions of the pros here; this pic is a bookplate pasted into a VG/VG Skeleton Crew First Edition. Comments on the signature?
    It's Worth????

Sorry for the slight glare. Pic taken with my iphone.

DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

All lines are smooth and shows consistency throughout including the date.

Matches my database of an 84 King signature.

REAL

I think that is the first 84 bookplate I've seen. Interesting.

Mulleins

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

But what sort of value do bookplates add to the books, i'm not sure i like the idea of stuff being stuck to a book, even if it hold a King sig

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Ralph -

Tito - for sure not my priority to have a book with a bookplate added, but for the price I am happy with the purchase. The book is in as good or better condition than my current 1st Edition Skeleton Crew and it appears to have a valid signature and I paid $35 for it. I'm happy with the purchase!

Spoiler:

My Mood
    Angry

The sig on the bookplate is legit. I've never been a fan of bookplates either. That's mostly why I do not care to collect the UK limited editions.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Thanks Ralph -

Tito - for sure not my priority to have a book with a bookplate added, but for the price I am happy with the purchase. The book is in as good or better condition than my current 1st Edition Skeleton Crew and it appears to have a valid signature and I paid $35 for it. I'm happy with the purchase!
    For $35, that seems to be a great price!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I appreciate teh opinions. For teh record I just took swapped the dust jackets and am very happy to have this new 1st Ed Skeleton Crew stacked among my 1st Edition Collection - which is missing one book at this point!

The elusive Salem's Lot! I just can't part with the kind of cash it takes to obtain one so I continue to search for that "unbelieveable deal" and can be patient. One day i will get one. I used to think that I'd never have a First Carrie or Night Shift or Gunslinger, but over the last couple of years I have managed to obtain them all at steals - other than The Gunslinger, which I did get for a good price but still expensive to say the least!

Spoiler:

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Watch out. It may be a photocopy!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Watch out. It may be a photocopy!
    As good as copiers are today, a lot of truth in that statement.

The sig is legit, but was it done by King or Xerox?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 157 of 567 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 155 156 157 158 159 167 207 257 ... LastLast