Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 424 of 567 FirstFirst ... 324 374 414 422 423 424 425 426 434 474 524 ... LastLast
Results 10,576 to 10,600 of 14172

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I remember time ago someone (I think it was Bob Jackson) mentioned there are two different versions of the first four numbers of Castle Rock Newsletter, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know the differences and how to identify the first edition of each number?

Thanks!
    It was Bob. There are actually three versions. The original without a stamp, the original stamped "Original" and later printings.

Here is his post...
    "This is what I think. I have no first hand knowledge but, here goes: The publishers of Castle Rock newspaper noticed an increased demand for the first four issues sometime after the fourth or fifth issue was published. I think the increased demand was because of serializing the short story "Dolan's Cadillac." They still had some issues on hand of the first four issues so they stamped these remaining issues "Original" and stamped the later printings as later printings. But the bulk of the initial run of the first four issues were already in subscriber's/collector's hands and, of course, are not stamped as "Original." So, copies of the first four issues without any stamping at all are first printings. Does that make sense? The lack of any stamping is also an indicator of a first printing"

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's interesting. I checked my copies and there's no stamp.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent! Thank you!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

Quick question... 'saikingcollectibles' from eBay is a member here, correct?
    ~Jonathan

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jreitan47 View Post
    Yes
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...7247-OneFathom

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jreitan47 View Post
    Yes
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...7247-OneFathom
    Thanks! I thought so.
    ~Jonathan

Gunslinger Apprentice Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi guys,
    I've ordered a couple of books through Grants. I'm wondering what other people's experience is re response time? It's not life or death stuff, just seems like an odd set up with leaving card details etc and waiting for them to get back to you. It's only been a few days, I was just curious about other buyers waiting times. Thanks.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's probably rather slow these days. I believe that it's more or less a one person shop these days with Robert Weiner doing most, if not all (at least I haven't heard from any other individual in my last several orders). Their order process is still pretty antique but they get the job done. I don't think that you'll run into any problems.
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    It's probably rather slow these days. I believe that it's more or less a one person shop these days with Robert Weiner doing most, if not all (at least I haven't heard from any other individual in my last several orders). Their order process is still pretty antique but they get the job done. I don't think that you'll run into any problems.
    Spoke to Robert the last time, end of December, since then I didn't get an answer at all. Usually he answered pretty quick so I think he just is busy at the moment. I don't worry at all. I would just send a friendly reminder

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

What would be the best way to try and clean this page block? I read the tutorial on sanding, but don't want to take the risk of causing further damage.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

@bdwyer19. I've tried a pencil eraser going with the length of the pages. There is some kind of eraser sold by Brodart, but I never used it. I've done the 400 grit sandpaper before....it works, but you would have to do the whole block page and not just the bad areas because you would want to keep it unison (the look). Both have worked, it just depends on the strength you use without damaging the book.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

You could try a sponge eraser. I've had some success with that in certain cases. Depends on the extent of the dirt.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    What would be the best way to try and clean this page block? I read the tutorial on sanding, but don't want to take the risk of causing further damage.

Burn it and buy a new one.
    Why waste time you could be using on having a good time with: a woman/man/fishing/cooking/sleeping/football/baseball/shagging/being a slob (my favourite).

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

Why waste time you could be using on having a good time with: a woman/man/fishing/cooking/sleeping/football/baseball/shagging/being a slob (my favourite).
    Ummm... Good suggestion???

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Not everybody is made of money...Like you keep flaunting in our face.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll be sure to try the sponge eraser...I seem to have every eraser but a sponge though. I'm still afraid of the sandpaper. If nothing else, I certainly don't have the patience to do it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post

Not everybody is made of money...Like you keep flaunting in our face.

Whoa!!! "The Bruce" is loose!!!! Take cover!!! LOL LOL

Spoiler:
    I'm with you oh, wise & sage collector of fine things!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

I replied to Brian in a PM but thought I should post this here too.

Don't try anything that you don't feel comfortable doing.

You should remember that any time you are cleaning a book you are damaging the book. The idea is to achieve maximum cleaning with minimum damage.

When cleaning a page block it's mandatory to clamp the page block so it remains tight and compressed. I have a book press that I use. A couple of boards and a couple of clamps will do.

Always start with "dry" and then move to "wet" techniques.

I vacuum or brush off the page block first so I don't rub in the dirt. You can then start erasing. Always work from the softest to the hardest eraser. So sponge eraser and then gum eraser and then if desirable a harder eraser.

You can also use Isopropyl alcohol on the page block. You want to be careful not to overwet though. Wet a little with one clean white rag and then wipe with another clean dry rag. Allow to dry. Repeat as necessary.

If it needs more work then you can consider sanding. Start with fine grade sandpaper and move to rougher paper as needed and desired. You should use a block to provide even pressure. This works well on evenly machine cut pages. If the page block is uneven sanding will even it out. Of course don't try sanding deckled edges.

Slow and steady wins the race. Don't be aggressive.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
    Hi guys,
    I've ordered a couple of books through Grants. I'm wondering what other people's experience is re response time? It's not life or death stuff, just seems like an odd set up with leaving card details etc and waiting for them to get back to you. It's only been a few days, I was just curious about other buyers waiting times. Thanks.
    Grants customer service is non existent IMO. I've sent emails over the past few years and never once had a reply. I swore I'd never buy from them direct and would just get their stuff on the secondary market. I hope you have a better experience.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will take the shagging a woman option please Mr Rabbit! now I know where your name came from....

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Try a mr. clean magic eraser. Works well for surface dirt.

Gunslinger Apprentice Sovereign is on a distinguished road Sovereign's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

How much does the owner's name with an insciption hurt the value of a book if the dust jacket covers it? For example, if a fine copy of a 2nd edition Gunslinger is 300$, what would its value be with the insciption?
    "No two persons ever read the same book." - Edmund Wilson

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    How much does the owner's name with an insciption hurt the value of a book if the dust jacket covers it? For example, if a fine copy of a 2nd edition Gunslinger is 300$, what would its value be with the insciption?
    Probably everyone has their own opinion on this question. Each collector must decide for themselves what they want to put in their collection. Personally I don't consider any book with a previous owner's name or gift inscription. A price-clipped dj is also a non-starter for me. Especially when we are talking about books like a 2nd edition Gunslinger. It's a nice book, to be sure, but there are lots of others out there for sale. Wait a while, if you can, and save up, if you need to, for a nicer one. You'll probably never be really happy with this one.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Probably everyone has their own opinion on this question. Each collector must decide for themselves what they want to put in their collection. Personally I don't consider any book with a previous owner's name or gift inscription. A price-clipped dj is also a non-starter for me. Especially when we are talking about books like a 2nd edition Gunslinger. It's a nice book, to be sure, but there are lots of others out there for sale. Wait a while, if you can, and save up, if you need to, for a nicer one. You'll probably never be really happy with this one.
    I completely agree.

John

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree as well!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 424 of 567 FirstFirst ... 324 374 414 422 423 424 425 426 434 474 524 ... LastLast