Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 567 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 132 182 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 14172

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

OK Then -Everybody-run to your booksheleves and look at your copy's of The Shining. Is any of your boards "speckeled"?
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
    OK Then -Everybody-run to your booksheleves and look at your copy's of The Shining. Is any of your boards "speckeled"?
    Yes

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    Hi, all.

...but I'm wondering whether there may have been a variant (two different states) of the dust jacket for Eyes of the Dragon...?

I have two first editions of the book (neither are BCE's--book club editions). Both have red lettering on the front of the jacket, but on the spine of the jacket one has red lettering and one has gold lettering. (Well, kind of a goldish-silver, or a silvery-gold, but definitely not red).

A couple of people have suggested that perhaps my copy may have been faded by the sun, but I see no evidence of that. The dust jacket on this particular copy is in pristine condition, and the green background on the spine is an identical shade of the green on the front & back covers. It does not appear to have any fading whatsoever.

Just wondering if anyone else has run across a copy like this or if it has been documented anywhere...?

Thanks!
    John
    My Stephen King collection
    When EYES came out I located a copy from all three publishing houses that did the 1st edition run. I found these at bookstores. The strange thing is, all 3 jackets are slightly different. The Haddon Craftsmen, Scranton Pennsylvania jacket has the red letters with just a hint of white around them on both cover and spine and the "scales" on the jacket are very shallow. The Arcata Graphics, Keene, New Hampshire jacket has deeper "scales" and white background on the cover letters but no white on the spine. The Arcata Graphics, Hawkins County, Tennessee has deep scales, with the white outlines on both the cover and the spine. These books have never been exposed to sunlight. Your different coloring on the spine may be an indication that they changed dies or some other factor when printing these jackets or, more likely, they were printed in three or possibly four different printing facilities. Whichever is the case, this is a quite fascinating discovery.
    Last edited by ur2ndbiggestfan; 10-16-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Bad spelling

Along the Path of the Beam DavidK44 is on a distinguished road

I'd be very interested in seeing pics of each of the variants - are they posted somewhere on the site and I've missed them? If not, please consider posting them, and then anyone who has a variant that differs can also post. Might be more versions out there than we're aware of...

DavidK

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Ur2ndbiggestfan has posted these (and some other great pics) over at SKcollector.com, but I encourage him to post them here as well

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I sure hope he does too, I would love to see more of his collection.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Along the Path of the Beam Spaceman Spiff is on a distinguished road Spaceman Spiff's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    When EYES came out I located a copy from all three publishing houses that did the 1st edition run. I found these at bookstores. The strange thing is, all 3 jackets are slightly different. The Haddon Craftsmen, Scranton Pennsylvania jacket has the red letters with just a hint of white around them on both cover and spine and the "scales" on the jacket are very shallow. The Arcata Graphics, Keene, New Hampshire jacket has deeper "scales" and white background on the cover letters but no white on the spine. The Arcata Graphics, Hawkins County, Tennessee has deep scales, with the white outlines on both the cover and the spine. These books have never been exposed to sunlight. Your different coloring on the spine may be an indication that they changed dies or some other factor when printing these jackets or, more likely, they were printed in three or possibly four different printing facilities. Whichever is the case, this is a quite fascinating discovery.
    VERY interesting!
    Thanks for passing that info along.
    However, this begs two questions:

1) How on Earth did you know that there would be three different publishing/printing houses producing the first edition?
    2) How do you identify which jacket came from where?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidK44 View Post
    I'd be very interested in seeing pics of each of the variants - are they posted somewhere on the site and I've missed them? If not, please consider posting them, and then anyone who has a variant that differs can also post. Might be more versions out there than we're aware of...
    DavidK
    I was going to post a couple pics of my copy, but it appears I'm not allowed to post attachments yet. I searched the FAQ, and it gives instructions on how to post attachments, but the "Manage Attachments" button does not display for me (and the Posting Rules at the bottom-left of my screen states "You may not post attachments"). Not sure if this is determined by the number of posts I've made in the Message Board or what.

Thanks.
    John
    (To see my Stephen King collection: click here).

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

A recent change to the board discontinued the attachment option.
    To post pictures either using our Gallery, or an image hosting service, read the tips in these threads:
    How To : Member Photo Gallery
    How To : Posting pictures, links, etc

Along the Path of the Beam Spaceman Spiff is on a distinguished road Spaceman Spiff's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope I've done this right.

Here are pictures of the dust jacket I've been describing:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/...36&ppuser=8282

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/...37&ppuser=8282

(I tried to get them to display here as pictures, but couldn't seem to figure it out. I hope the links are fine).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Patrick; 10-20-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Instead of using "url", should be able to use "img" but it didn't work.
    John

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

See Patrick's edit: normally you should be able to use the image tags but maybe features like these have been temporarily disabled due to Matt weeding out some technical difficulties on the website?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    I hope I've done this right.

Here are pictures of the dust jacket I've been describing:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/...36&ppuser=8282

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/...37&ppuser=8282

(I tried to get them to display here as pictures, but couldn't seem to figure it out. I hope the links are fine).

Thanks!
    Actually, SS, you wouldn't use the http link to the pictures, but the properties info. ( ie - find the picture, and then right click and select properties and then copy the address from there )

Here you go :

The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, biomieg and turtlex!

I appreciate the assistance!

John
    John

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Pictures of the end papers of The Gunslinger?

Hello all,

I would really appreciate it if someone could post a picture of the end papers from both the 1st printing and the 2nd printing of The Gunslinger.

Thanks much.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Once this is resolved, this will be merged into the Collecting Questions thread.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Were the endpapers in the 2 editions not the same?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The preverbial They speaks of them as the 1st being 'in color' and the second not.

I would like to see the difference.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The difference is actually more in the detail - as well as "in color" or not. Here's the first edition:

And the second:

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks much for those.

That is what had me confused, I had seen the end pages for the 2nd print and they looked to be in color to me, but now I see the difference.

When you move this would you send me a link to where you move it to. I guess I have missed the thread it should have been in, thanks.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad the answer came so quickly. This thread will merge into: Collecting Questions
    A short redirect should also help.

Country
    Country Flag

What is this? I can't seem to find it in Brook's biblography, not that it would be easy to find there.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Cinefantast...item3ca6f79683

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineB View Post
    What is this? I can't seem to find it in Brook's biblography, not that it would be easy to find there.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Cinefantast...item3ca6f79683
    A movie magazine with articles about some of King's movies.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just a general question regarding flatsigned versus inscribed. Is a book worth less if it is inscribes versus just flatsigned by the author. I am not talking about "personal" value but value on the open market when selling or buying a book.

My thought is that it is worth less if it has an inscription versus just signed but looking to hear what others have to say. I suppose if the inscription happens to be with your name when it comes to buying the book the value might not change.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    Just a general question regarding flatsigned versus inscribed. Is a book worth less if it is inscribes versus just flatsigned by the author. I am not talking about "personal" value but value on the open market when selling or buying a book.

My thought is that it is worth less if it has an inscription versus just signed but looking to hear what others have to say. I suppose if the inscription happens to be with your name when it comes to buying the book the value might not change.
    Here is one bookseller's opinion:

http://www.raresf.com/bnews.html#signed

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My preference is inscribed books. Especially if I can get the background on the inscription. First, they are easier to authenticate. Second, long inscriptions give some insight into the mind of the author, or sometimes the background to the story. And third, sometimes the people they are inscribed to are famous and they turn out to be cool association copies.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post

I collect Art (Roger Dean/Ron Wood) and in the art world the book equivilant of a flat sign is more valuable than a personalized one specifically for the resale value. I was in negotiations with Mr. Dean regarding the original "Yes" logo painting. When I bowed out of the bidding, I subsequently purchased a "Tales from Topographical Oceans" print and because we had met and negotiated on the phone, he agreed to sign it but, insisted it was more valuable (as well as the dealer) signed "Best Wishes, Roger Dean" than "best wishes Bill, Roger Dean).

However, in book collecting circles a personalized signature (especially in light of all the SK fakes permeated) from SK almost seems to have more value. I think a lot has to do with the known traits of the signor. People who validate SK signatures seem to know his habits and that of course plays a BIG factor in resale amounts. Flat signs seem to be "identified" in SK sales and the price appropriately affected.

Hope this helps
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 567 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 132 182 ... LastLast