Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: Shannon

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

No first of Carrie or Night Shift, just future printings. And my 'Salem's Lot is a future printing book with a fairly decent looking First Edition Second State dustjacket. I suppose I can pick up a fine first edition book without a dustjacket for a not-so-expensive amount, but I'm too busy buying other stuff to even look into it, lol.

Does "parse" mean space out? Hmmm, dictionary.com, you are my friend ... Well, that didn't help much. To analyze, to describe ... Ummm, when I started my thread I posted stuff in sections, and now-a-days I just post pics of stuff when I receive them. Is there a better way?

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Knowing Darkness: Extra Fold-Out Prints (thanks Jerad!)

Gunslinger Apprentice Justin Case is on a distinguished road Justin Case's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow... some great prints in that set. Kudos to Jared indeed
    Phil

Citizen of Gilead Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do you only collect the hardcover comics ? (like I do)

Did you know that some of the hardcovers have variant covers?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Niels, I think you just caused Shannon's brain to implode.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

lol, I've seen some variant hardcover comic collections around, but I found these 13 hardcover collections in an Ebay auction, mint condition, thoroughly taken care of, with the plastic cover protector things and everything, and I can't remember if it was a BIN price or an auction I won, but they came out to $5.77 each when all was said and done. I can't pass on something like that, especially when I've only had the first three Dark Tower ones (which I remember paying $25 for in the stores!) in my collection to begin with. AND, the icing on the cake, I'm actually going to READ these! I'm pretty excited, lol, most of the stuff I buy sits on the shelf, looks pretty, and it's a "check" off my list. But these, I'm actually going to read. Pretty excited.

But anyway, as far as comics go, I will say my collection is complete when I own the individual comics, all the variants, the hardcover collections, and all the variants of those. Oh, and the new mega-collections that are coming out soon.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonsMovies View Post
    No first of Carrie or Night Shift, just future printings. And my 'Salem's Lot is a future printing book with a fairly decent looking First Edition Second State dustjacket. I suppose I can pick up a fine first edition book without a dustjacket for a not-so-expensive amount, but I'm too busy buying other stuff to even look into it, lol.

Does "parse" mean space out? Hmmm, dictionary.com, you are my friend ... Well, that didn't help much. To analyze, to describe ... Ummm, when I started my thread I posted stuff in sections, and now-a-days I just post pics of stuff when I receive them. Is there a better way?
    As to the secong part of your post: Well, if you limit each post to a few pics of say, 2 books at a time. It's a little easier to view and comment on. That's not necessarily a "better way" just maybe easier for the viewers I suppose. It's a matter of preference and opinion I would guess.

As for the first part, again opinion & preference, but I would take a chunk of those "random" purchases and apply it to getting those "key" first's. Of course, that's just MHO.

In anycase, you've got some absolutely wonderful items in your collections!!!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Merl,

Like the nickname? Anyway, I look at the endgame of my Stephen King collecting as me owning one of everything. So, I'm not buying so much "random" stuff as much as I am "checking lots of stuff off my list". The more and more contacts I'm making when I buy things open up more and more doors to the point where I am now getting things cheaper and finding better deals than I have when I first started collecting. Instead of collecting one sub-collection at a time (example, US First Editions), I'm collecting everything!

As for the pictures, I post pictures when I receive my items. Not too worried about comments. I enjoy them and look forward to them, but I collect for me. Speaking of collecting, I haven't received anything in the mail in a few days, and I'm already going crazy! I have my 150+ Entertainment Magazines on the way, but apparently the post office sent them back to the sender on accident (yeah right, lol), and then other than that I have three more items and then after that I am going to be putting away money for a big King item at the same time as paying my car off. I just have to keep telling myself NO MORE EBAY NO MORE EBAY! Every time I get on there to check prices or whatever, I always see something I want. So difficult!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Merl,

Like the nickname? Anyway, I look at the endgame of my Stephen King collecting as me owning one of everything. So, I'm not buying so much "random" stuff as much as I am "checking lots of stuff off my list". The more and more contacts I'm making when I buy things open up more and more doors to the point where I am now getting things cheaper and finding better deals than I have when I first started collecting. Instead of collecting one sub-collection at a time (example, US First Editions), I'm collecting everything!

As for the pictures, I post pictures when I receive my items. Not too worried about comments. I enjoy them and look forward to them, but I collect for me. Speaking of collecting, I haven't received anything in the mail in a few days, and I'm already going crazy! I have my 150+ Entertainment Magazines on the way, but apparently the post office sent them back to the sender on accident (yeah right, lol), and then other than that I have three more items and then after that I am going to be putting away money for a big King item at the same time as paying my car off. I just have to keep telling myself NO MORE EBAY NO MORE EBAY! Every time I get on there to check prices or whatever, I always see something I want. So difficult!
    LOL Hey, I meant no disrespect at all. You collect according to your own rules I always say. Same with the pics, your thread, your rules, is my Opinion. I was just trying to help. Of course, you're doing great so who cares what I think????? No one!!!!! LOL

Merl? That's cool. I've been called worse!!!!!!

BTW, if you want "Everything"!!!!! Be sure to be online 5/31/11!!!!!! Something "Cool is coming"!!!!!!

LOL Great Collection!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I know "Something is Coming! 5/31/2011" RF's clues have been driving me insane! Do you know what it is? Sneaky sneaky!

I didn't sense any disrespect or anything like that at all from your posts. I appreciate your thoughts and opinions, you're my friend! And you can't say I have a "great collection" I have an "ok collection", maybe a "really good beginning collection" but looking through your collection makes me jealous! I want that Mist snow globe!

Anyway, my brain is melting. I'm switching the format of my Stephen King Excel spreadsheet from all on one sheet to lots of sheets ... Trying to split up my collection into US First Editions ... Signed Limiteds ... but where I'm going crazy is with the things that go into two categories ... Like ... what about a Foreign Signed Limited? Or ... where the hell do the Secretary Of Dreams go? And ... should Nightmares In The Sky be considered an official Stephen King book? Going crazy, going crazy. Need to take the night off from Stephen Kinging.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still wondering what exactly your definition of 'everything' is. Does that also include all the variations (trade, numbered, lettered hardcovers) paperback editions and later printings for every title, proofs/ARCs, pre-Carrie publications, comics and their variations, audiobook variations (tapes, CDs), promo items, press kits, movies, movie kits and other stuff I forgot? And all of these in US and UK versions or also other languages? Books relating to King's work and all their variations?

As for creating a comprehensive overview in Excel, it's much easier to just follow Justin Brooks' book as a guideline (so you can number the cells in your spreadsheet according to his outline, i.e., A2 - Carrie and then use his numbering for the various editions. Same goes for magazine fiction appearances, non-fiction appearances etc.). Stuff like proofs, portfolios, audiobooks... you can list them under the appropriate title, too. Every King item is linked to a 'title', so this is the most parsimonious way.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Bio,

Everything means everything. Except books/articles/essays ABOUT King or his work, I can do without those. But yeah, I would love to have a bookshelf full of Carries from around the world, hardcover, paperbacks, all different covers. When I look at some of you people's collections and someone has ten versions of a book, I love it. As for right now, I have a few core groups I would like to complete/start:

US First Editions
    All Signed Limited (numbered) Editions that King signed officially
    Castle Rock Newsletters
    Entertainment Weekly Magazines
    Stephen King Library (red fake leather books)

After those, my next groups would probably look something like this:
    UK First Editions
    Proofs
    Every magazine/anthology that has a first appearance of one of his fiction/non-fiction works
    Audiobooks/movies

And so on and so on. I like the Justin Brooks book a lot. And I do use it as a sort of checklist, also pulling the info from the book out and putting it into my shreadsheet. That's not a bad idea about the A27, B121 code though ... Right now I just have mine split up according to category. Work work work! Ugh, real work, gotta go, adios.

Country
    Country Flag

I think it's wise that you're focusing on a few subgroups of 'everything'. It is possible to get complete sets of all of these:

US First Editions
    All Signed Limited (numbered) Editions that King signed officially
    Castle Rock Newsletters
    Entertainment Weekly Magazines
    Stephen King Library (red fake leather books)

UK 1sts can be done but will be harder. Completing a set of proofs and magazine appearances... extremely unlikely. But it will surely keep you busy for a long time to come!! Good luck, it's nice to see such enthusiasm!

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Its wierd how collecting tastes change, because at first i was wanting everything and anything i can get my hands on but have in the past months changed to just 1st editions!

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

Unless you have a seven figure income, attempting to collect "everything" is a fools errand. Just the S/L collection alone will run you around $50k at today's market value, and that's only numbered not lettered; never mind when you start going after things where only 1 or 2 exist. That's why I mentioned in my collection thread that I'm very selective. Attempting to collect "everything" is an impossibility, so to me, it's foolish to try. I'd rather concentrate on what I like and what is also -- to an extent -- achievable.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know guys, I don't really think it would be that difficult to collect everything in the next 60+ years or so. As far as $50,000 S/Ls, that's less than 50 months of Stephen King spending for me, at my current rate. I somehow always end up spending about $1,250 a month and then some on Stephen King books. Hence, my always brokeness, lol. 50 months is a little over four years. Four years to collect all the S/Ls? I'm OK with that.

But you're right, what happens when I find everything and all I'm left with are the things that only 1 or 2 exist? Well, then I go and hide in Bob's basement, of course.

At that point, we'll see ... Hey, by the way, can you guys list off some Stephen King items that have "disappeared"? I asked this question months and months ago and the response I got was that everything pretty much comes around every now and then. But besides the items that are in the Fogler (Foger?) Library and in King's home, what else is out there that is really scarce? Contraband 1 and 2 seem to be a little scarce, but they only fetched 250-350 on Ebay recently, that's not too much I think.

Hey bio, did you buy your fold out prints yet? Mine have been sitting here on my dresser since I got them and I don't really know what to do with them. PM me.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

US First Editions

GREEN means I own it. RED means I do not own it.

Carrie
    'Salem's Lot: First State ($8.95, father cody error)
    'Salem's Lot: Second State ($7.95, father cody error)
    'Salem's Lot: Third State ($7.95, father callahan correction)
    The Shining
    Rage
    Night Shift
    The Stand (original)
    The Long Walk
    The Dead Zone
    Firestarter
    Roadwork
    Danse Macabre
    Cujo
    The Running Man
    The Gunslinger: The Dark Tower 1 (original)
    Creepshow
    Different Seasons
    Christine
    Cycle Of The Werewolf
    Pet Sematary: First State (1982 caretakers error)
    Pet Sematary: Second State (1983 caretakers correction)
    The Talisman
    Thinner
    Skeleton Crew
    The Bachman Books
    It
    The Eyes Of The Dragon
    The Drawing Of The Three: The Dark Tower 2
    Misery
    The Tommyknockers: First State (author name in gold)
    The Tommyknockers: Second State (author name in red)
    Nightmares In The Sky
    The Dark Half
    My Pretty Pony
    The Stand (Complete & Uncut)
    Four Past Midnight
    The Waste Lands: The Dark Tower 3
    Needful Things
    Gerald's Game
    Dolores Claiborne
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes
    Insomnia: First State (white on red)
    Insomnia: Second State (red on white)
    Rose Madder
    Umney's Last Case
    The Green Mile 1: The Two Dead Girls
    The Green Mile 2: The Mouse On The Mile
    The Green Mile 3: Coffey's Hands
    The Green Mile 4: The Bad Death Of Edward Delacroix
    The Green Mile 5: Night Journey
    The Green Mile 6: Coffey On The Mile
    Desperation
    The Regulators
    Wizard And Glass: The Dark Tower 4
    Bag Of Bones
    Storm Of The Century
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    Hearts In Atlantis
    On Writing
    Secret Windows: Essays And Fiction On The Craft Of Writing
    Dreamcatcher
    Black House
    Everything's Eventual
    From A Buick 8
    The Green Mile: The Complete Serial Novel
    The Gunslinger: The Dark Tower 1 (Revised And Expanded Edition)
    Wolves Of The Calla: The Dark Tower 5
    Song Of Susannah: The Dark Tower 6
    The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower 7
    Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle The Historic 2004 Season
    The Colorado Kid
    'Salem's Lot: The Illustrated Edition
    Cell
    Lisey's Story
    The Secretary Of Dreams: Volume 1
    Blaze
    Duma Key
    Just After Sunset
    Under The Dome: First State (white lettering)
    Under The Dome: Second State (dark gray lettering)
    Blockade Billy
    The Secretary Of Dreams: Volume 2
    Full Dark, No Stars

Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to be a PITA again but personally, I would include the little SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION hardcover among the first editions as well (as far as I know this was not a library binding per se, it's just that most of them ended up in libraries). I would also include SILVER BULLET, but I can see why you wouldn't. And there are several TOMMYKNOCKERS dust jacket variants.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonsMovies
    At that point, we'll see ... Hey, by the way, can you guys list off some Stephen King items that have "disappeared"? I asked this question months and months ago and the response I got was that everything pretty much comes around every now and then. But besides the items that are in the Fogler (Foger?) Library and in King's home, what else is out there that is really scarce? Contraband 1 and 2 seem to be a little scarce, but they only fetched 250-350 on Ebay recently, that's not too much I think.
    Some very hard to get items: the pre-CARRIE publications from the sixties (with the exception of the Startling Mystery Magazines and the 1968 TV Guide), Onan and Marshroots from the early seventies. The Doubleday proofs of 'SALEM'S LOT, THE SHINING, NIGHT SHIFT and THE STAND. Some of the seventies magazine appearances like Maine Magazine (1977) with 'One For The Road'. Many proofs are very scarce, not only the early ones but also stuff like CELL.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I look at Shawshank Redemption the same way I look at the other standalone novellas ... The Breathing Method, Apt Pupil, The Body (Fall From Innocence), The Mist. They first came out elsewhere, therefore, not first editions. Same thing with Silver Bullet. Just like ... I wouldn't include the Gift Edition of the new It book ... It was previously published in/as a official SK book.

There are two Tommyknocker variants? How did I miss that?

Awesome, thank you for your list. I have since put IF THESE EVER APPEAR BUY NO MATTER WHAT THE COST! on the rows of these items in my spreadsheet lol

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=ShannonsMovies;617781]
    /QUOTE]
    Because you didn't check the Catalog......................

"Title: The Tommyknockers
    Author: Stephen King
    Artist:
    Publisher: Putnam
    ISBN: 0-399-13314-3
    Year: 1987
    State: Trade Hardback First Edition. Issue price $19.95
    Comments: Quarter bound in black with green boards having green pastedowns. Two dust jackets-one with Stephen King in red letters and one with Stephen King in gold letters were produced. Neither takes precedent over the other
    Copyright page states:
    Printed in the United States of America
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Permissions to come"

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...The+-+Trade+HC

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Randall Flagg;617814]
    /QUOTE]
    Because you didn't check the Catalog......................
    And shame on you Shannon for overlooking that fact!!!!

LOL J/K LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Aha! I did check the catalog but I didn't format my spreadsheet correctly. Before I had included the dustcover states as seperate entires, I had compiled all the info for all states, editions, S/Ls ... into one row per book. That was when I first started out. And I guess I missed the Tommyknockers seperation. Oh well, corrected now. I like the way that list above (US First Editions) came out. And it would be semi-easy to update also ... just change the color. Not bad, not bad. Next up, probably this weekend (don't hold your breath) will be a list like that of my S/Ls ... I only have a handful at the moment, but again, it will be easy to update over time.

My Mood
    Angry

Are you accounting for the Gerald's Game ABA edition too?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I would consider the ABA Edition to be a Proof/ARC. Proofs aren't high on my priority list. The only reason I own two so far (both Secretary Of Dreams) is because Tom had some amazing remarques in them that I simply must have owned.

My Mood
    Angry

It's not a proof at all, it's a fully bound edition with the same block but the addition of the handwritten facsimile page. If you're counting dust jacket variations then I would think an actual change in the book itself would merit a separate entry as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast