Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Devastating Earthquake - Christchurch New Zealand

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Devastating Earthquake - Christchurch New Zealand

Dear Fellow DT.org members, I'm posting this thread as my home town, where I am still currently living, has just suffered a catastrophic earthquake this afternoon, and I feel I need an outlet to help deal with what I've experienced today.

I apologise in advance if this isn't really the kind of "off topic" thread you'd expect to read on the forum, but the community here is so kind and supportive, I thought it would be a good place to share.

I live in Christchurch, New Zealand. At 12:51 this afternoon, we were hit with a 6.3 earthquake. We have 65 confirmed fatalities, with that expected to rise to between 200-400. I'm assuming this is just a guess.

In September last year, we suffered a 7.1 at 4:35am one morning, and amazingly suffered no loss of life. In comparison, Hati's earthquake of 2009 was a 7.0, and they lost 300,000.

The September shake was larger, but further away from the city, and 10km deep. Todays shake was pretty much right under the city, and only 5km deep. Everyone here will tell you todays felt stronger. It was.

Many of the cities buildings were damaged in September, and so todays shake has basically levelled a large section of the inner city. Since it happened at lunch time, many of the collapsed buildings had workers inside, hence the loss of life. News reports say there are at least 200 people still trapped in rubble, with emergency services still trying to rescue them.

My wife and I work close to each other, and thankfully neither of us have suffered any personal injury. Our extended families are all ok as well. We are very lucky.

My home survived the September shake quite well. A bit of internal cracking in walls/paintwork etc. We still have parts of the city where peoples homes are being demolished from September, and so we felt blessed we had a roof over our head.

Today we have not fared so well. We returned home (after ditching the car due to traffic jams) to find liquefaction all over our section. This is where the shaking ground pushed water/sand/mud up from far below, through cracks in the earth, and you end up with what looks like ant hills made of sand all over the place. The sand/mud smells bad. The house now leans to the south. I think we may be a little lucky in that I beleive the entire concrete foundation has dropped at one side of the home, as opposed to cracking down the middle and splitting. Once the foundation splits, I think that is the end of a house.

The inside of the house was a tip. Everything thrown to the floor, smashed. I think we have three cups/glasses left out of nearly 30. (yes we probably had a few too many wine glasses, gonna need to get some more of those tomorrow). Our dryer that was very securely attached to the wall, has just ripped holes in the jib, and is in tatters on the floor. All my book cases are down, with all my King books all over the place. Thankfully the special books in my collection have not suffered any noticeable damage. Of course, I haven't really sat down to carefully inspect them all, but books can be replaced.

Our two dogs and two cats are terrified, but at least they are ok and at home.

Since the big shake this afternoon, we have had probably close to 50 aftershocks, many strong enough to make you run to a door way. It gets old very quick. We lost power throughout the city, but this just came on half an hour ago (it is 2:25am as I write this). we still have no running water, and so have to ration the water in the hot water cylinder. Going to the restroom isn't fun, and I'll save you from the description of what is involved.

I work for an insurance company, and we were already overwhelmed with getting on with the repairs from the September shake. I have no idea how the country will respond to the damage from today. This is so much worse.

Please spare a thought/prayer for those in my city that have lost loved ones, homes, and livelihoods.

I thank you for allowing me to share. I'm still in a daze, and can not really beleive I have survived and all my family is well. I'm one of the lucky ones. But as I can not sleep, as I sit here watching the news and see the pictures of the devestation, I felt a strong need to try and put in writing what has happened today. I guess that is part of the healing process I'll be going through over the coming days.

James

(in the time it took to write this, there were 3 large aftershocks. I don't know how my wife can sleep, but am thankful she can)

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

My thoughts are with you and your family James. I have a friend who is touring New Zealand and just this morning took the ferry to the south island and was on a bus to Christchurch when the quake hit. Luckily for him, he's ok but alot of other people aren't and the city is more than a mess.
    I think that he might be sleeping in the park for the night, because as James said there have been lots of aftershocks

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you.

I'm glad for your friend that he didn't get here before it happened. Christchurch is usually such a wonderful place to visit, and we have tourists from all over the world come here. But it's fair to say there are probably safer places to be at the moment.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

oh my God

goodmind

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thinking of you and all of those who have suffered a loss

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

John

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What can we say other that gratefully you and your family escaped physical harm. That is the most important. My heart goes out to you and to all the good people of Christchurch, New Zealand.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

God bless you and yours, sir.

I also thank you for then news. I have a friend I must hunt down now. I only hope God was with him.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So glad that you and your families are okay. Having two dogs and two cats in my house myself, I can only imagine the fear they must have experienced and am sending an enormus e-hug their way ((((((()))))))

I have a friend in Australia who is a former "kiwi" as he calls himself. He's been keeping me up on this horrible event. Just horrible.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

You were the first person I thought of when I heard the news. I'm glad you are safe! Please keep us informed about your situation. Those pictures have me shaking my head and murmuring holy s**t! Now I'm thankful we only have snowstorms around here!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh Man!!!! That's devastating news!!! Glad you and your loved ones are all alive and well, considering. Nothing but family and I's best wishes to all the victims of this terrible tragedy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I had heard, but I didn't know that was your hometown. Sure glad that you are alright. Thanks for sharing your news. Our best goodmind to your work and prayers for times ahead.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you all for the thoughts/kind words.

The city has responded well, with help being flown in from not only around New Zealand, but Australia too. Help has been offered from the States, the UK, Singapore and Japan too. There are many reports of survivers being found in rubble, which is fantastic. Unfortunately, the death toll is rising as expected. The focus is on rescue at this stage, with communities being asked to help look after each other until civil services start to look forward to repairing water, drainage, sewage etc.

My wife and I have started the clean up at our place. Seeing the foundation move away from the driveway etc is quite scary. The mud/silt must be contaminated as it does smell bad. Took a walk down to the local school to fill containers with drinking water, and got sold a bottle of coke for $5. at least the local shop owner won't go broke. But hey, $5 so I can have a bourbon and coke is worth it.

I'll post updates as I have more news.

Thanks again

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lots of goodmind to you and your family, James.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

This is so terrible. I'm keeping you and the rest of Christchurch in my thoughts.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a quick note as I don't gave regular Internet access.

They have power back to 80% of the city, water to 65%, but over 100,000 without sewage. 1000 porta loos are on their way from the States. Cheers guys!

We have no drainage at our home, and I think the lean is getting worse, but I still consider us lucky. Plus we have unaffected family so can go have a shower when we need. I tell you a shower never felt so good after days if shivelling silt/mud lol!

The bad news is there hasn't been a survivor found innthe inner city rubble since Wednesday. The inner city was the worst affected. This time we had modern buildings collapse, not just older brick buildings.

Good news: no damage to my favorite King books :-)

Thanks again for your kind words/thoughts. I hope to be able to get back to contributing to the regular threads soon.

James

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's all very sad news, but im glad that things are getting better for the survivors!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Again, best of luck to you and yours, Jimmy. You are still in my prayers and thoughts.

John

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

My buddy made it out safe and sound. His home is in need of repair. He is homeless but in good shape and spirits. His family is strong and he assures me they will get by.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Jon, glad to hear your pal and family is safe and sound.

We had a sliver of good news over the weekend, in that our main Catherdral that suffered major damage, has just been cleared by search and rescue. Eye witness reports mentioned up to 20 people were believed to be inside, buried. The seach and rescue team have reported no one inside however -sSuch good news!

I am back at work today, (our customers are screaming out for insurance assistance already - and rightly so), so it is actually nice to be back in some normal activity.

Before and after pictures of our Catherdral

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Glad to hear you're back to work. Those pictures are a real testament to the fact that nothing remains the same, for better or worse, despite our best efforts to the contrary. We should be thankful for what we have while we have it, and always hope things change for the better, but try to accept it if they don't (as difficult as that is some, if not most, times). As a famous poet-philosopher-rockstar-humanist once said, "Time wounds all heels."
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

My thoughts are with those affected by the huge earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan yesterday. I hope none of our fellow DT.org members have been impacted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast