Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Field of Dreams - All things Baseball

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Awesome, Merlin! Hope you guys had a great time. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my MLB fix here but I'm sure there are some online resources (slow internet and all) that I can use.
    I hear MLB online is reasonable.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I leave tomorrow for Sping training in Tampa Florida.
    NYY v. Atlanta tomorrow night
    NYY v Dominican Republic Wednesday afternoon

Ten travelling south to Sarasota to see Baltimore hosting Toronto on Thursday - scoping out the AL East competition.

And Cal Ripken signing his new book at his game - way cool!

And my wife is pissed as the DC area is predicting significant snowfall on Tuesday evening/Wednesday mnornign and I (the primary shoveller) will be in Sunny Florida! :-) Significant for DC is prob 6 inches - that will perilize the metro area! :-) They are such wimpy driveres here. Living the first 25 years of my life in Upstate NY I love dsriving in the snow.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Awesome, Merlin! Hope you guys had a great time. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my MLB fix here but I'm sure there are some online resources (slow internet and all) that I can use.
    Yep it probably is but my internet is to slow. I purchased the NHL package and literally couldn't watch it. 5 seconds of of game and than 15 seconds of pause. Netflix works barely but I'm thinking MLB will be the same as the NHL.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep it probably is but my internet is to slow. I purchased the NHL package and literally couldn't watch it. 5 seconds of of game and than 15 seconds of pause. Netflix works barely but I'm thinking MLB will be the same as the NHL.
    Here's an innovative thought. Would it be better if you had MLB online and then watched the games at some "Internet Cafe" or other? I'd think they would offer faster WiFi, no? Assuming you have a Lap Top.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's an innovative thought. Would it be better if you had MLB online and then watched the games at some "Internet Cafe" or other? I'd think they would offer faster WiFi, no? Assuming you have a Lap Top.
    <------Slaps Forehead. I always forget that actually leaving the house is an option as well. There are a few internet places at the near by base that I could go to.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

<------Slaps Forehead. I always forget that actually leaving the house is an option as well. There are a few internet places at the near by base that I could go to.
    LOL You may even be able to cultivate a following!!! Make sure you tell them Krauts about the Yanks as well!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL You may even be able to cultivate a following!!! Make sure you tell them Krauts about the Yanks as well!!!!
    I will certainly tell them all about the Yankees (non-biased of course, LOL!). Not that you care but I'm looking at the Tigers pitching staff and I am scared to death of anything past their starting pitching. I may be wrong but they appear to be very thin at middle relief (decent set-up and situational guys) and they do not have a closer.

Their offense will be in good shape as long as Hunter and V. Martinez are healthy. It should be murderes row 1 through 5 or even 6. Team speed is not great but man they have a ton of bats that can hit for average and power.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I will certainly tell them all about the Yankees (non-biased of course, LOL!). Not that you care but I'm looking at the Tigers pitching staff and I am scared to death of anything past their starting pitching. I may be wrong but they appear to be very thin at middle relief (decent set-up and situational guys) and they do not have a closer.

Their offense will be in good shape as long as Hunter and V. Martinez are healthy. It should be murderes row 1 through 5 or even 6. Team speed is not great but man they have a ton of bats that can hit for average and power.
    LOL Gotta admit, things are a little uncertain for the Bomber's this spring. It's like they opened a MASH unit down there!!! Hopefully, they will get it together. Tiger's look fairly solid though.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Baseball Is Back!!!!!!

Where did you all go in the "Off Season"???? LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler NickP will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My Buccos are the owners of MLB's best record!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    You just prompted me to look at the standings. Pretty amazing stuff going on in the MLB.

Traveler NickP will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    You just prompted me to look at the standings. Pretty amazing stuff going on in the MLB.
    If we collapse down the stretch again, I will be absolutely crushed.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

No matter what team you root for you gotta appreciate this...

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...20516&c_id=nyy

Even if it's only good to see him go away!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That was very cool. Well deserved ovation. HOF bound and I hope younger players learn something from him. He was never in trouble (at least I don't recall anything), worked hard, and from all reports was a leader in the clubhouse.

No matter what team you root for you gotta appreciate this...

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...20516&c_id=nyy

Even if it's only good to see him go away!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed watching Mo. And as a Ranger's fan, I was so hoping Nathan wouldnt blow the save.

And how bout Cespedez. I mean fuck the A's on any other day, but his first round of the HRD was something to see.
    Sloth Love Chunk

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Biogenesis suspensions are imminent. Is it time to see A-Rod sweat!

Spoiler:

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Biogenesis suspensions are imminent. Is it time to see A-Rod sweat!
    The sports talk guys in AZ are predicting one of two options for A-Roid. Suspension for the rest of this year and all of next (wherein he gets to keep $60 mil left on his contract) or, if he refuses and appeals the penalty "Lifetime Ban" and he forfeits all the cash from the Yanks.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Funny how Yankee fans have dropped him with the potential to recover the money. Looks like they will get the best of both worlds. They get the best player in baseball on the front end of his contract and get a couple of rings because they are able to offer a HUGE unreasonable contract. Then the last few years, when he sucks, and isn't worth his 27.5 million a year they get to unload him and recover the money. We should all be so lucky. I hope ARod gets at least one game in so the Yanks have to pony up some cash. Not that I think arod should get it. Should probably go to charity. Now Bill, you and Bob may give me a good thrashing, but you know that this isn't bullshit.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

And I'm not speaking specifically about you two, just how I see the conversations going on ESPN, Sports Hoopla Etc.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I for one have never been fully engaged with A-Rod! He has always brought drama to the team. Shame on the Yankees for giving him such a whopping contract! Should they have to pay for it all - I think not. If I contracted with anyone for a specific service and did not provide the service then I should not be paid! Will the Yankees get out of his contract - most likely not! oN the extendced DL - perhaps some sort of adjustment to pay. I work for a large corporation and if I were out for an extended period I fall under long term disability which is 60 % of pay.

I suppose thge same argument should go to Pujols - he has a whipping contract and the man cannot run the bases - he almost needs a wheelchair to get to 1st! These contracts should be structured to account for when players cannot live up to the hype wheter it be injury or cheating or breaking the law or the CBA or whatever!

Spoiler:

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Funny how Yankee fans have dropped him with the potential to recover the money. Looks like they will get the best of both worlds. They get the best player in baseball on the front end of his contract and get a couple of rings because they are able to offer a HUGE unreasonable contract. Then the last few years, when he sucks, and isn't worth his 27.5 million a year they get to unload him and recover the money. We should all be so lucky. I hope ARod gets at least one game in so the Yanks have to pony up some cash. Not that I think arod should get it. Should probably go to charity. Now Bill, you and Bob may give me a good thrashing, but you know that this isn't bullshit.
    Well, I really can't argue from a "Business" standpoint, but Bob also has a good point. I think from the fan's POV it is more about betrayal. We all gave him a pass the first time around after he made those tearful confessions and then this!!! Not to mention his tabloid exploits in between. He's always gonna be compared to Jeter, in the Bronx, who has nary a blemish.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with these arguments from a business standpoint, and I think that several teams have now gotten burned/are getting burned on these huge contracts. (Josh Hamilton lol) and I hop that this will lead to some more conservative contracts, at least in terms of years. Players are to the point that they have unrealistic expectations. The Angels will suffer for Pujols and Hamilton. I am bitter, and I know it. Too many of our best players have gone to the Yankees or other teams because the were financially better off than the rangers and could offer them huge ridiculous contracts. I'm sorry, but I feel like the Yankees got the good out of the ARod deal, and think it is fair that they should have to pay for it, or at least say 60% as Bob pointed out. And I reiterate, If arod is banned, I don't think he should get the money. I think it should go to charity. But, and forgive me my bitter Ranger heart, I don't think the Yankees should get to have the good without the bad. And WHY does my ipad auto capitalize Yankees and not rangers. Lol, even the computer is bias. Lolololololol.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I agree with these arguments from a business standpoint, and I think that several teams have now gotten burned/are getting burned on these huge contracts. (Josh Hamilton lol) and I hop that this will lead to some more conservative contracts, at least in terms of years. Players are to the point that they have unrealistic expectations. The Angels will suffer for Pujols and Hamilton. I am bitter, and I know it. Too many of our best players have gone to the Yankees or other teams because the were financially better off than the rangers and could offer them huge ridiculous contracts. I'm sorry, but I feel like the Yankees got the good out of the ARod deal, and think it is fair that they should have to pay for it, or at least say 60% as Bob pointed out. And I reiterate, If arod is banned, I don't think he should get the money. I think it should go to charity. But, and forgive me my bitter Ranger heart, I don't think the Yankees should get to have the good without the bad. And WHY does my ipad auto capitalize Yankees and not rangers. Lol, even the computer is bias. Lolololololol.

Well, in all honesty A-Rod could not handle NY from the gitgo. The Yanks only really got 2 "Arod" years maybe three and most were under the original Ranger deal. A-Rod's best days were in Seattle and Texas. Hamilton? How could the Angels not see that coming? Cashman, did not even sniff at that guy. Classic "Take the money and run". I think that sooner or later we will find out that Pujols was on the juice at one point also. The guy was just too good. Which now a days is a tell tale. The whole thing is a mess. Cruz was named as well. Yet baseball keeps saying the PED era is behind us!!! LOL LOL

Say what you like about the Yanks, but they put it all on the field and back in the team. Not like some guys (Twins come to mind) who pocket the cash and work the farm. NY demands, no expects to be competitive and the organization trys to honor that trust. Texas suffered from mismanagement in the past, but the new regime seems to be building correctly and it will all pay off soon I believe.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't totally agree that the Yankees got the good end of the deal with A-Rod only, nor only the front end of his deal. Statistically speaking:

His 9.5 yrs as a Yankee don't match up to his three years as a Ranger!

In his 9.5 years as a Yankee (I am counting this year as half) he has only played the majority of all games (I am using 90% of 162) for the first 4 years. From 2008 -2012 he averaged 76% of all games played. Of course no games in 2013!

Arod averaged 190 hits/yr in Texas; as a Yankee through 2012 he averaged 152 hits/yr.
    Arod averaged 52 HRs and 131 RBIs/year in Texas; as a Yankee thru 2012 he averaged 34 and 107, respectivey.
    Arod has an avg BA of .305 while in Texas and as a Yankee thru 2012 he averaged .290

Arods last two years playing (2011 - 2012) were dismal to say the least.

So in my opinion I do not think the Yankees benefitted from all the upfront salary only. Arod has been falling since he left Texas while his salary has risen - shame on the Yankees for that faux pas! Do I think the Yankees should pay his remaining salary to a charity - no way! Do I think Arod should get it all, or some fraction of it! Less is best in my honest opinion. Personally I think Arod has done enough damage to the Yankees and to baseball in general and all the money he has made to date has made him a vey rich man. Baseball needs more Jeters, and Riveras, Ken Griffey Jrs and Chipper Jones, more manny Machados and Giancarlo Stantons and Mike Trouts and Bryce Harpers! More Grandersons and Pudge Rodriguez, the list goes on - there are great (not tainted) players out there!

I know we wont agree on much here and I don't want to belabor the point further. I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine.

Spoiler:

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Baseball needs more Jeters, and Riveras, Ken Griffey Jrs and Chipper Jones, more manny Machados and Giancarlo Stantons and Mike Trouts and Bryce Harpers! More Grandersons and Pudge Rodriguez, the list goes on - there are great (not tainted) players out there!
    I was with you up until that last name...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast