Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Field of Dreams - All things Baseball

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    That's a personal preference. Some people are cool with the whole steroid thing, some aren't. I'm indifferent. I'm also realist and nobody that was caught up in the steroid stuff will be getting in the HoF anytime soon. More time needs to pass I think.

The main issue is that as soon as you let one in, you will have to let them all in. The HoF doesn't want to deal with the backlash at this point.
    Very good point. Like I said I have developed a two category judgement on my part. With what medicine can do now a days its hard to ignore it in some cases. Hell. they gave me steriods to get me out of my coma last year. Where do you draw the line? If it helps you recover from injury, so be it. If it is straight "PED" that's another thing altogether in my book, but who can really say, right?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The unfortunate thing is that all the guys being mentioned for the HoF that took steroids were first ballot Hall of Famers BEFORE they took steroids.

It's not like anybody is crying for Randy Velarde to make the Hall.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The unfortunate thing is that all the guys being mentioned for the HoF that took steroids were first ballot Hall of Famers BEFORE they took steroids.

It's not like anybody is crying for Randy Velarde to make the Hall.
    It is kinda sad with the exception in my mi9nd of, Bonds. Clemens and a lot of others took them to recover from injuries it would seem. Bonds, just wanted to get ahead. Hard to judge them all though I suppose. Tough call in their shoes.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

BLUE JAYS VS TEXAS!!!! YES!! LET'S TAKE DOWN EGREGIOUS ODOR!!!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

In regards to steroid usage it is now illegal in baseball and was an illegal drug in this country. The players using it to combat/accelerate a return from injury had advantages in recovery from those that did the right thing. The ones who used steroids (Bonds, Sosa, Pudge, Arod, and others) to transform their bodies obviously gained a massive advantage when coupled with their already impressive skills.

I'm not willing to endorse people for historical enshrinement who knowingly cheated. To me it is a real shame that people, already with immense talent, make a direct decision to cheat this way. It's kind of like the power hitters that get caught with a corked bat or the pitcher with nasty stuff sticking (an unknown) substance on the ball. Why would they do that?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I'm not willing to endorse people for historical enshrinement who knowingly cheated. To me it is a real shame that people, already with immense talent, make a direct decision to cheat this way. It's kind of like the power hitters that get caught with a corked bat or the pitcher with nasty stuff sticking (an unknown) substance on the ball. Why would they do that?
    I agree, it doesn't make sense. Then again, in a way I can see why it happened. Let's say you are an elite player. You're at the top of your game putting up huge numbers every year. Then you see your equal, a guy is also putting up huge numbers start to take steroids and now he's putting up even bigger numbers. What do you do? Well, in this case, we know the answer. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. The Bash Brothers were doing it, so Bonds had to and Sosa and the list goes on. If you wanted to be put among the best, you had to do steroids.

It's sucks, but that's what happened.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

IDK, when it comes to helping you heal I find it's a little more confusing. I mean, yeah it's illegal but Kobe can go to Europe and have his blood infused. I mean if medicine can do what you need and bureacracy is the culprit. What then? Bonds and Sosa made themselves into a different player. Clemens and Pettite just wanted to heal faster. It's not as straightforward an argument as I originally thought is all I'm saying
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It really is a tough topic because everyone has their own opinion of right and wrong. Who is to say how much cocaine helped out Strawberry or Doc Gooden in their prime. But I will say steroids were banned by the MLB in 1991. They knew they were either blatantly breaking the rules or skirting them by using similar products.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It really is a tough topic because everyone has their own opinion of right and wrong. Who is to say how much cocaine helped out Strawberry or Doc Gooden in their prime. But I will say steroids were banned by the MLB in 1991. They knew they were either blatantly breaking the rules or skirting them by using similar products.
    It really is a tricky topic. Old school players used to take greenies. The players said there used to be bowls in every locker room. Some players even have stated they wouldn't be able to get through a game without it. Who knows how those amphetamines helped the players back then.

Here's an interesting article in case you're looking for something to read: http://manginphotography.net/2009/12...t-as-much-fun/

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs and their fans!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Next year is our time.

No more Billy Goat.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Thank god. Now they can shut the fuck up about sucking for over a 100 years.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

It was a fun series and last nights game was awesome. Congrats to the Cubs but was hoping that the Tribe would pull it out.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Pfffft!

My daddy is a lifelong Cubs fan, and Im tickled that he was able to see the Cubs finally win it all.
    He'll be 89 on Monday.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just an observation. I am very happy for the Cubs and their fans, now they can STFU, but did anyone else notice how poorly managed the entire series was on both sides? Seemed at times like nobody wanted it!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Just an observation. I am very happy for the Cubs and their fans, now they can STFU, but did anyone else notice how poorly managed the entire series was on both sides? Seemed at times like nobody wanted it!!! lol
    I'm in a discussion now with someone that insists that this series was one of the most compelling WS ever and that game 7 was one of the best WS games ever. Most people are disagreeing with him but it's on a White Sox message board. We might be a little biased towards the Cubs.

I'd argue that game 7 of the 2001 World Series was a much better game overall with a literal storybook ending. (Sorry Bill...)

What about others here? Was this WS really all that compelling because it featured 2 teams that have been bad for a really long time? Or was it just another WS that you didn't really pay attention to because your favorite team wasn't playing in it?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I'm in a discussion now with someone that insists that this series was one of the most compelling WS ever and that game 7 was one of the best WS games ever. Most people are disagreeing with him but it's on a White Sox message board. We might be a little biased towards the Cubs.

I'd argue that game 7 of the 2001 World Series was a much better game overall with a literal storybook ending. (Sorry Bill...)

What about others here? Was this WS really all that compelling because it featured 2 teams that have been bad for a really long time? Or was it just another WS that you didn't really pay attention to because your favorite team wasn't playing in it?
    I'm not trying take anything away from the players and the way they played the game. It was tremendous. However, both mangers seemed to be out to lunch with the moves they made. I'd expect that from, Francona IMO he doesn't manage the post season well, but Maddon befuddled me!!! He put the headcase, Lester in EXACTLY when he said he wouldn't and abused, Chapman for starters. Francona should have learned from, Pedro about riding a pitcher too much. IMO, kluber on 3 days rest (he started 3 games in 9 days) was just stupid. he also rode Miller like a bitch!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Pfffft!

My daddy is a lifelong Cubs fan, and Im tickled that he was able to see the Cubs finally win it all.
    He'll be 89 on Monday.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for a whole generation of Cubs fans who are in their 80's that have never seen their team win. Nonetheless, I'm tired of them whining about it.

I thought Maddon was really fortunate to win that series. The first move that didn't make sense was bringing in Chapman in game 6 when they were up by like 7 runs. Second, taking Hendricks out after just 60 pitches in game 7 didn't make sense. He was cruising and the Indians weren't really squaring him up. It meant he had to bring Lester in in the middle of the inning, which I always hate for a starter.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Pfffft!

He'll be 89 on Monday.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for a whole generation of Cubs fans who are in their 80's that have never seen their team win. Nonetheless, I'm tired of them whining about it.

I thought Maddon was really fortunate to win that series. The first move that didn't make sense was bringing in Chapman in game 6 when they were up by like 7 runs. Second, taking Hendricks out after just 60 pitches in game 7 didn't make sense. He was cruising and the Indians weren't really squaring him up. It meant he had to bring Lester in in the middle of the inning, which I always hate for a starter.
    Yeah, I forgot to list this. Monumentally dumb to bring in, Chapman in game 6 with a 5 run lead!!!! He had arms in the pen!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I still think Maddon is an amazing coach. He managed to raise TB up and although with different circumstances (and money) did it in Chicago as well. Not many coaches can do what he does.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I still think Maddon is an amazing coach. He managed to raise TB up and although with different circumstances (and money) did it in Chicago as well. Not many coaches can do what he does.
    If I came off wrong in my posts then my apologies. I guess my real surprise is that both managers have rather good reputations and I was surprised that so many obvious (I suppose a few in hindsight, which is always 20/20) mistakes were made. Then again, I do suppose that the fact that both franchises were dealing with extraordinary pressure given their respective championship droughts may have had quite a bit of undue influence on each of them. Especially, Maddon!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, but we can't give Maddon too much credit. He took over a team with a budding crop of young prospects that were about to make an impact. He also had Arrieta who was coming off of a 2014 season where he showed signs of his 2015 Cy Young breakout. Maddon certainly added a level of polish, professionalism and much needed laid back vibe.

For me, Theo Epstein deserves more praise. The man brought a championship to Boston after 86 and then does the same for the Cubs.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

You are right. However I lived in the Tampa Bay/St.Petersburg area and saw how he grew a team. The Rays were stocked with young talent when he got there as well but he did wonders with coaching them up. I think he has that uncanny ability to lift players up and help them reach their potential or beyond.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You are right. However I lived in the Tampa Bay/St.Petersburg area and saw how he grew a team. The Rays were stocked with young talent when he got there as well but he did wonders with coaching them up. I think he has that uncanny ability to lift players up and help them reach their potential or beyond.
    He does, that's for sure. He has a knack for relating to young players and getting the most out of them.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast