Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Issues with King's writing *please mark spoilers

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    anti-nuclear in Tommynockers,
    Interesting example: you know that wasn't just a case of SK writing about a political issue; it was a case of SK writing about a writer talking about a (non-partisan) political issue... and worrying about how talking about it could affect on his career.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    anti-nuclear in Tommynockers,
    Interesting example: you know that wasn't just a case of SK writing about a political issue; it was a case of SK writing about a writer talking about a (non-partisan) political issue... and worrying about how talking about it could affect on his career.
    I don't think he ever comes right out and writes about a political issue, it's usually part of the story or a character's viewpoint. I don't think that the nuke issue was a non-partisan issue at all.

I just don't care for the political stuff no matter what. I don't read King for his viewpoints or to get his political views or even to hear about political views of any kind. IMO he did a pretty good job in 11-22-63 with no discussing any particular political view point surrounding JFK's presidency or assassination. Which I was surprised by. Reading fiction is an escape for me from real world events, especially King's fiction. I don't want that stuff creeping in, agree with it or not.

And like I wrote earlier, it didn't appear so much in his earlier work. I love The Long Walk, which is a book that's just asking for political commentary, but he manages to not inject much personal opinion in it at all. He just presents the alternate reality and lets you draw your conclusions through character development and experiences in the book. IMO he couldn't write that book today without labeling the Major as a republican or even presenting him as GWBush.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    interesting - to me Insomnia did not sound pro-abortion at all. The feminists as he describes them looked to me totally disgusting, and one of the secondary characters (a Catholic like me) delivered one of the best speculations on the dubiousness of the issue that ever read.
    Which character would that be? As a catholic as well, I'm interested in what you wrote there. And I found the feminists disgusting as well, I'm just not sure that was King's intent. I really had a hard time with that book and it's probably one of my least favorite because of the abortion issues.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... I don't think that the nuke issue was a non-partisan issue at all. ...
    Well, that might just be your personal perspective. I definitely know Democrats who are for it and Republicans who are against it.
    ... Reading fiction is an escape for me from real world events ...
    Oh, then I guess that's the big difference between you and me.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

mtdman: I'll find the quotation for you as soon as I can; it belongs to a police officer.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along the Path of the Beam costanza will become famous soon enough

argle bargle

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if cancer hazard is really as high in the USA as it is in King books. Everyone, if not killed by a monster, dies of cancer. Everyone's parents, other older relatives, or elderly friends, do invariably.

By the way, this thread - sorry guys, only now got around to noticing - belongs in The Constant Writer subforum, where it will be moved as soon as everyone gets used to this idea

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if cancer hazard is really as high in the USA as it is in King books. Everyone, if not killed by a monster, dies of cancer. Everyone's parents, other older relatives, or elderly friends, do invariably.

By the way, this thread - sorry guys, only now got around to noticing - belongs in The Constant Writer subforum, where it will be moved as soon as everyone gets used to this idea
    Hey, go do that voodoo, that you do, so well Mr. Bear!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Clearly his mother's death from stomach cancer has had a major impact on his writing.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My wife and I have both had a number of relatives (including her mother and my father) die from cancer.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    My wife and I have both had a number of relatives (including her mother and my father) die from cancer.

John
    Precisely. The same has been happening in my family, and I fully expect to one day die of same. That is why I am rather oversensitive about the issue, and the way King constantly overdoes it sounds like a bad joke to me.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I suppose that similarity of many King characters to the author himself in general is a fair ground for criticism. It would make the world they all live in rather strange... if they all live in the same world.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Cancer is quite prevalent in my extended and nuclear family. Cancer is, by a wide margin, the #1 killer of both sides of the Gaskill clan.
    My father was a victim but it was discovered in autopsy after the accident.

I will never forgive King for killing Henry in Black House.

But I am annoyed by all of the writers from the North East of America who dominate his charter selection. Things happen to folks in places other than the Northeast and who are not writers.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    ... Things happen to folks in places other than the Northeast and who are not writers.
    Like that one guy who went to Florida to paint... lol

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    ... Things happen to folks in places other than the Northeast and who are not writers.
    Like that one guy who went to Florida to paint... lol

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I am stilled pissed at him
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Tough crowd, for "fans" LOL LOL I have beef's with him from time to time (the ending of UTD), but he is really about the Read/journey. I get that and he is the Master!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I have many, many issues with King's writing.

They're all issues of Entertainment Weekly, though.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Tough crowd, for "fans" LOL LOL I have beef's with him from time to time (the ending of UTD), but he is really about the Read/journey. I get that and he is the Master!!!
    the ending is not really the issue with the writing, it's with the story. I have no issues with his stories. I have a lot with his writing, and they are getting worse.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a lot with his writing, and they are getting worse.
    When do you think that started, Jean, and what exactly do you take issue with? I do believe King's writing has changed over the years, but that's only natural. I don't find any fault in King's newer style writing, it's just different. Perhaps, at times, a little too casual. I think he might've been trying a bit harder earlier in his career.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3