Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Full Dark, No Stars

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hannah! Where the heck have you been?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Super busy at work optimizing and solution selling and begin a stupid business consultant, selling my soul for corporate dollars. Someone save me!

Also, I was obviously spending some of the time away from the site reading Full Dark, No Stars.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to find such a dude with a stand by the airport!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdmonger View Post
    Hi, I recently real-time reviewed FULL DARK, NO STRAS here:
    http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/...-stephen-king/
    des
    Welcome to the site.
    Calvin's Corner is primarily dedictaed to the collecting of Stephen King books-the actual books themselves, whether it be a signed limited, trade 1st edition, or most other unique King item.
    The actual discussion for literary content of any Non-Dark Tower Stephen King book is in this Forum: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...14-Cara-Laughs
    The Full Dark No Stars specific discussion is here:
    Full Dark, No Stars

Once again, welcome to the site.

Along the Path of the Beam Weirdmonger is on a distinguished road Weirdmonger's Avatar

My personal real-time review of FULL DARK, NO STARS - where SK becomes the world's spear-carrier or sin-eater - has been on my blog for some weeks now, as supplement to that of my DARK TOWER reviews, in case anyone is interested.

df lewis

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finished FDNS last week. Very much enjoyed all of the stories but Big Driver was my fave! Filled me with the oogies pretty much from start to end. 1922 certainly had many wonderfully disturbing moments as did A Good Marriage. Fair Extension left me wondering who I hate the most...hmmmmm....

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished...forgot I had this book on my towering "to read" pile!

I really, really enjoyed all four stories, infact I think it's the first SK short story/novella collection where I've equally liked every tale.

I loved all the nods to It in Fair Extension, including mentions of the Denborough's (the mom and Edvil's first name being George).

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

almost done with this book am half way through the last story and will probably finish it tonight. will give my thoughts on all the stories tomorrow or later.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I got the book for my birthday!

::happybear::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Brilliant! I think you'll love them, I know that like me you enjoy a long build up in King stories like Insomnia and It and he's very cleverly managed to give the impression of doing that with these four shorter ones.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Bear friend, you will enjoy.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes you will like these stories...stayed up past what should be my bedtime reading....lol...I liked these stories as they pertain to what a person would do in different situations.
    Spoiler:
    How dark can a person get if giving the opportunity or situation to do them. would you kill someone over some land just to stay there? Would you go to the police or do justice for yourself? Would you send your best friend to hell if given the chance. It makes one think "Would I or could I do that?"

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by woodpryan View Post
    Here's my interpretation of 1922:

Spoiler:
    By the time his son and Shannon died he was delusional. The vision of his wife coming to him was an illusion. At the time that he wrote the piece, he already knew what had happened and embellished a bit. This is part of the problem with first person narratives. Who knows whether or not what the narrator of the story is saying is the truth and/or how much of it is true. He kept saying he was telling the complete truth. And maybe he was. But who's truth was he telling? Well, his own of course. And what exactly is the truth from the perspective of a mad man? 1922. He bit himself to death in the end, under the illusion that the rats were killing him. The only way in which his wife haunted him was figuratively. She was always on his mind and he felt terrible about what he did to her, therefore she haunted him. That's what I think.
    I just started reading this book today and finished 1922 and your interpretation of the story is how i interpreted also. Very dark and grim but good!

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked all the stories, but esp. 1922. But I have always loved tragedy.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

When I first got the book I skipped Big Driver because I couldn't take listening to
    Spoiler:
    a rape scene
    . And I totally forgot about that story after I finished the book. Just went back and listened to the book all over again, and caught Big Driver this time. Boy did I love that story. It helped that the narrator was pretty damned good too. Both narrators for this book are great, Craig Wasson and Jessica Hecht. She does the two 'chick' based stories and the voice she does for that last story is just incredible. Definitely a highly recommended book.

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default FD,NS

I loved the few tie-ins within "Fair Extension". The Derry Flood, the Denbrough's, but especially. . .

"Life is good, wouldn't you say?"
    "Very good," Streeter agreed. "Long days and pleasant nights."
    Goodhugh raised his eyebrows. "Where'd you get that?"
    "Made it up, I guess," Streeter said.

It's these little things that give me a good giggle during a first time read.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have to say Fair Extension really made me uncomfortable at spots, especially since it was apparently being sold as being "funny" and "satisfying". Were we supposed to enjoy reading about this guy's misery as his life falls apart? Kind of reminded me of The Dualitists by Bram Stoker in that regard.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Demon of the Prim Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ahhh... where to begin?

The first novella, 1922, is worth the cost of the book alone. King, I felt, had something to prove...and prove it, he did. By far, 1922 was the best of the four novellas. Poe's influence can be felt and King carried that torch well. Due to it being the first novella, it really stole the thunder from the rest of them.

I enjoyed A Good Marriage. However, with Fair Extension:
    Spoiler:
    Fair Extension's ending was a let down. It lacked the resolution the other novellas had. It had a lot going for it structure wise--the premise was a good one: you can have your life extension, but you have to give it to someone else. King took it to a new place by having the protagonist have to choose someone he hated/loved. Again, great concept, but a severe let-down at the end.

I enjoyed Big Driver as well. IMHO it rounded out the collection.
    WANTED:

Dust jacket for The Shining SNL.

Dust jacket for 25th Anniversary edition of IT, signed, numbered, tray-cased copy.

Signed numbered limited edition of Josh Malerman's Goblin, published by Earthling Publications.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very good analysis!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    The stories would have been okay if I had found them in a pick 'em up and toss 'em book from Wal-Mart but not from SK. His writing is aging right along with him, in my opinion. Where scary used to be getting trapped in "heaven", boogey men in closets and every where else, it is now cancer and bad stuff happening to you family? Please, Mr. King...I read your books to escape reality, not be reminded of it.

I can relate to this sentiment.
    When I first picked up Full Dark, No Stars, I basically quit before even getting to the middle of 1922. It was too much for me.
    However, I did pick it back up last night, and read a Good Marriage in one sitting. I enjoyed it more than I expected. It was a dark story, yes, but not as disturbing as I had feared.
    So, it has made me want to try to read 1922 again, as well as the other stories.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

FDNS is one of my favorite collections.

I especially liked A Good Marriage and Big Driver.

Fair Extension was my least favorite.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2