Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 554 of 714 FirstFirst ... 54 454 504 544 552 553 554 555 556 564 604 654 ... LastLast
Results 13,826 to 13,850 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Haha.
    Look, I told you before- It was a gift from my mom!
    And, I won't deny that it is fantastic for reading in bed since it has the light.

To be honest though, I still read actual books more than on the Kindle. Hell, this is the first time in a year or so that I've even used the Kindle.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I started Blake Crouch's Pines yesterday. I could not put it down once I started. SO good.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I started Blake Crouch's Pines yesterday. I could not put it down once I started. SO good.
    Right!? It's funny, the first day I started reading it, I - and the entire Los Angeles County - had been woken up by an earthquake like at 2 in the morning. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I thought to myself "I'll read a couple of pages of this until I get sleepy again."

I read for about 5 hours straight hahaha.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You were doing so well.

And then you mentioned a kindle.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Haha.

HEY! Let's peer pressure her into giving up the Kindle!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    You were doing so well.

And then you mentioned a kindle.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Haha.

HEY! Let's peer pressure her into giving up the Kindle!

I don't use it all the time! It's not like I'm one of those people who gave up regular books for an e-reader. Should I go to Abebooks.com right now and download a list of all the damn books I've ordered in the past 6 months just to prove that I still love regular books? Should I?
    I hadn't even used the kindle in so long that I had to charge it for a while before it would even turn on.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.
    I loved it.

sk

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Loving it so far. On page 582. I've read his Century trilogy and loved those too.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fiction: Getting Off by Lawrence Block
    Non-Fiction: Age of Propaganda: Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion
    Philosophy: The Essential Marcus Aurelius

I've decided to split up non-fiction and philosophy. We'll see how it goes in terms of comprehension and quality of life.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Jack Vance - Showboat World
    Gillian Anderson & Jeff Rovin - A Vision of Fire
    Brian Hodge - The Convulsion Factory

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

James M. Cain - The Cocktail Waitress (the "lost" final novel)

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Started WASSER / Water, the new Thriller/Horror novel from my good friend Vincent Voss.
    The action takes place again in my neighborhood....

The Last Town (Wayward Pines)
    ~Blake Crouch

Heather, I have flown through these books and I'm really really sad that I'm on the last one. These are easily some of the best books I've ever read.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

~Blake Crouch

Heather, I have flown through these books and I'm really really sad that I'm on the last one. These are easily some of the best books I've ever read.
    I agree. I was hooked from the very beginning. I wish that he would write more books in the series. I was sad when it all ended. So the Wayward Pines series is part of this thing called kindle worlds, where other authors can write stories based off of Blake's original books. I'm reading the Genesis series now, which I had heard Blake had asked this particular author to write, but then in the forward by Blake, he didn't mention that, but said that he really loved reading the books and that it felt it added a lot to the story. It's about
    Spoiler:
    the building of Wayward Pines.
    If you go search on kindle, you'll see that there's tons of stories that have been written adding onto Wayward Pines, most have very mixed or poor reviews though. But since I hate to part with Pines, I might try out a few others. I know his brother wrote one.

Do you plan on reading any more of Blake's books? That's what I've primarily been reading since I finished those

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    ~Blake Crouch

I agree. I was hooked from the very beginning. I wish that he would write more books in the series. I was sad when it all ended. So the Wayward Pines series is part of this thing called kindle worlds, where other authors can write stories based off of Blake's original books. I'm reading the Genesis series now, which I had heard Blake had asked this particular author to write, but then in the forward by Blake, he didn't mention that, but said that he really loved reading the books and that it felt it added a lot to the story. It's about
    Spoiler:
    the building of Wayward Pines.
    If you go search on kindle, you'll see that there's tons of stories that have been written adding onto Wayward Pines, most have very mixed or poor reviews though. But since I hate to part with Pines, I might try out a few others. I know his brother wrote one.

Do you plan on reading any more of Blake's books? That's what I've primarily been reading since I finished those
    Yes, I plan to read more of his books! I've already been looking up his works to figure out which one I may want to read next, although I'll probably take a break from him after I finish the Pines series just because I know I'll be pretty bummed to leave that world. Also, I didn't watch the premier episode of the tv show yet, but want to so I can consume everything Pines related right now.
    I am so glad you raved about him, otherwise I may not have ever heard of these books. Even my mom blazed through the Pines books right before I started them, and is currently reading Draculas.
    Such a great writer.

That's awesome that your mom is reading them. I just finished Draculas recently, and it's pretty entertaining. I'd highly recommend Run. It was my favorite after Wayward Pines. Abandon was good as well. And I really enjoyed his short story collection. The only ones I wasn't overly keen on were Eerie and Desert Places. The later was good, but I think serial killers just aren't really my cup of tea so I struggled slightly with it.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll definitely be adding those to my to-read list.
    I won't lie...I am completely obsessed with this series right now. Every damn thing about it. The suspense has me hooked, and I've fallen for the characters because they feel so real. I love it.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I've given up on three books in the last five days. That's a new record for me. I just couldn't find any interest in Showboat World and The Anome by Jack Vance, and Gillian Anderson's A Vision of Fire. I don't claim to posses some high intelligence but whatever I do have, Anderson and Rovin (read: the actual writer of the book) were insulting it. 300 pages of heartless, stiff, overwritten crap that could have EASILY been 250 or even 220-230 pages. Characters in it have a bazillion PhDs and still manage to sound like cretins. I kept thinking that there was no way anyone ever talked that way.

Phew! Now that that's off my chest, I have to say that The Convulsion Factory and The Subtle Knife are both great.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I've given up on three books in the last five days. That's a new record for me. I just couldn't find any interest in Showboat World and The Anome by Jack Vance, and Gillian Anderson's A Vision of Fire. I don't claim to posses some high intelligence but whatever I do have, Anderson and Rovin (read: the actual writer of the book) were insulting it. 300 pages of heartless, stiff, overwritten crap that could have EASILY been 250 or even 220-230 pages. Characters in it have a bazillion PhDs and still manage to sound like cretins. I kept thinking that there was no way anyone ever talked that way.

Phew! Now that that's off my chest, I have to say that The Convulsion Factory and The Subtle Knife are both great.
    It really sucks giving up on a book, but at the same time, there's something very liberating about it.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I...can't give up on a book. I'm not particularly OCD, but there's something about sticking with a book that I can't extricate myself from. But truth be told, I don't dive into unknown books or get into long fantasy-type series very often where things might get bloated and burdensome (e.g., Wheel of Time). I read the first Dragonriders of Pern story and the original Dune and realized I had had enough of that so never attempted anything further that might have compelled me to read past my point of interest.

The one exception was Heinlein's Time Enough for Love. I'm a huge fan of "golden age" sci-fi (where Heinlein got his start) and a pretty good fan of Heinlein in general. But there is just so much incest and kiddie-diddling one can take, you know?

Country
    Country Flag

I've noticed that with Heinlein too. I don't mind sexual content in books at all but his approach was just creepy and awkward.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Halfway through Storm of Swords.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Anyone else have trouble getting through The Goldfinch?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read Seveneves (or anything by Neal Stephenson)? It sounds interesting, but at 880 pages, I'm wondering if his writing is that captivating to warrant such a page count, or if it drags on.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Anyone else have trouble getting through The Goldfinch?
    Not me: loved it.

sk

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Has anyone read Seveneves (or anything by Neal Stephenson)? It sounds interesting, but at 880 pages, I'm wondering if his writing is that captivating to warrant such a page count, or if it drags on.
    I have not, but Snow Crash has been on my to read list for the better part of a year now. It was nominated for several awards, and is considered by the science fiction community as a very compelling work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 554 of 714 FirstFirst ... 54 454 504 544 552 553 554 555 556 564 604 654 ... LastLast