Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 472 of 714 FirstFirst ... 372 422 462 470 471 472 473 474 482 522 572 ... LastLast
Results 11,776 to 11,800 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

To me, Simmons is a bit erratic in his books, in that some of them are very, very good, while others just aren't. His novel, Black Hills (I think that's the name of it) just wasn't that good at all, in my opinion. His first, Song of Kali, was magnificent.

John

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Black Hills was terrible. Summer of Night, A Winter Haunting, and Carrion Comfort are a few I've read recently that are very good. My first was Black Hills and I almost didn't read any others.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

jesus U GUISE, stop talking about authors that I haven't read yet! My backlog is already monstrous as it --

Ah fine I'll make a Simmons book my next one

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I concur, skip Black Hills.

I'm in a minority here because I think his Hyperion Cantos is his best work. The scope of it with all the plots and sub-plots is INTENSE. I think he put more into these books because at heart he seems to be a S.F. guy, through and through. He constantly posts about space stuff on his forum. Of course, if he were here, he'd call me an idiot and tell me he puts everything in every book.

They're demanding books but the pay-off is well worth it. The hardest one to get into is the first one, titled Hyperion. It's plotted almost the same way as It: each character tells a story while the main action is in the present. All the individual stories aren't just background information, you truly get to know the characters. The villain (one of them) is The Shrike, creature covered with blades that moves through space and time.

If I ever had to make an all-time top 10 S.F. list, Hyperion Cantos would take up 4 spots.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Dean Koontz - Dragon Tears (still), Mr. Murder
    Jay Bonansinga & Robert Kirkman - The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury
    Robert Silverberg - Sundance

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really? I thought Hyperion was much better than Fall of Hyperion. I was going to read the Endymion books, but my boyfriend said they were hard to get through and went forever, so I didn't. Unless someone here wants to talk me into it.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Carrion comfort was fantastic. Up there with some of Kings best.
    some of his other stuff I couldn't even get through.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always wanted to read Hyperion because of that awesome cover with the guy covered in blades lol.

I love dense sci-fi stories. How many books are in that series?

Country
    Country Flag

Four books. You could stop at the second book if you wanted to.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've finished Dobyns' The Burn Palace and am on a reread of The Wind Through the Keyhole.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Re-read? I'm still struggling through the first time.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I did, too....

Just started Anansi Boys, but so far I don't love it nearly as much as American Gods. I find Fat Charlie to be a bit annoying so far. We'll see....

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alkanto View Post
    I did, too....

Just started Anansi Boys, but so far I don't love it nearly as much as American Gods. I find Fat Charlie to be a bit annoying so far. We'll see....
    Everyone said to me that they'd loved Anansi Boys much more. So my expectations were so high. I do not even compare two. Anansi Boys are an enjoyable read but American Gods are so rich with many amazing characters and philosophy. American Gods is my favorite Neil Gaiman book... As long as I know you, I think you will be loving American Gods more. I guess you like Shadow, too.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I adore Shadow! He is one of my favorite characters out of books I've read recently.

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn which as a good twisted story. Now almost finished her first book Sharp Objects which is a dark sick twisted story! Good books!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    I just started The Twelve on audio. On the second CD. Kind of weird right now. We'll see where it goes.
    Haxing recently finished "The Twelve". I would think it would be a bit of a bitch on Audio.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Re-read? I'm still struggling through the first time.
    This is my third or fourth reread. I really enjoy this one!

John

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    I did, too....

Everyone said to me that they'd loved Anansi Boys much more. So my expectations were so high. I do not even compare two. Anansi Boys are an enjoyable read but American Gods are so rich with many amazing characters and philosophy. American Gods is my favorite Neil Gaiman book... As long as I know you, I think you will be loving American Gods more. I guess you like Shadow, too.
    have you read The Graveyard Book?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I have. I liked it lots.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I am reading This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong
    Let me know what you think. I LOVED it
    I am progressing slowly because I have been really busy lately, but I am loving what I have read as much as I did the first book.......which it to say: a lot.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

NOS4A2 Joe Hill Took a little bit to get going but now liking it.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    NOS4A2 Joe Hill Took a little bit to get going but now liking it.
    That's what I'm hearing too. Hopefully I'll like it more than Horns. If not, that'll mean he's getting progressively worse in my eyes.

I've been on a S.F. kick: Clarke's Childhood's End, just finished Asimov's Pebble in the Sky and am about to start The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers. Dune is next after that.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I did, too....

have you read The Graveyard Book?
    I like The Graveyard Book like everything Gaiman wrote. My favorite of him is American Gods. I think the only Neil Gaiman I left unread is Sandman. After my Dark Tower re-read I will give it a try... What do you think?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I like The Graveyard Book like everything Gaiman wrote. My favorite of him is American Gods. I think the only Neil Gaiman I left unread is Sandman. After my Dark Tower re-read I will give it a try... What do you think?
    , should have figured you had Graveyard Book under your belt already!

The Sandman is his most complete work, and my personal favorite with American Gods nipping at it's heels. If rumors are to be believed he's working on a follow up to the series so now would be as good a time as ever to hop on board. You are aware however that is is a graphic novel series, correct?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I would so love to get into The Sandman stuff, but graphic novels are so damn expensive! Any suggestions as to how one might obtain them cheaply? Because for as much time as I spend actually reading, it's just not a good idea to spend that much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 472 of 714 FirstFirst ... 372 422 462 470 471 472 473 474 482 522 572 ... LastLast