Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 359 of 714 FirstFirst ... 259 309 349 357 358 359 360 361 369 409 459 ... LastLast
Results 8,951 to 8,975 of 17826

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I have less than 60 pages of Black House left, but have been putting it off because I don't want it to end.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post
    Has anyone here read the Mistborn trilogy?
    First I heard of this was yesterday here. http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/03...ersus-vin.html

IDK
    It seems like an interesting set of books, but the "powers" the heroine has seem like a tad bit confusing.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I have less than 60 pages of Black House left, but have been putting it off because I don't want it to end.
    Down to 40 now. Tonight is the night.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just picked up Game of Thrones. Been meaning to read this for awhile but got distracted with a couple of Anita Blake novels and Dresden Files. Finally will start reading it
    If you love me then love me..

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    First I heard of this was yesterday here. http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2011/03...ersus-vin.html

IDK
    It seems like an interesting set of books, but the "powers" the heroine has seem like a tad bit confusing.
    I'm confused by that link as well. Give the actual books a try, though. I didn't find the issue of powers to be a stumbling block in the slightest, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't read all that many fantasy novels, and is basically allergic to rpgs like Dungeons and Dragons because they're so baroque and specialized.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I've decided to give The Passage another try. Mainly because the coworker who loaned it to me made veiled threats about putting something in my coffee if I didn't return the book. I'm not sure what he's capable of so I'm just going to read the damn thing.

Also, this Mistborn trilogy sounds interesting. I love series. That makes it so you don't have to say goodbye to the characters as soon as you would with a single book.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Also, this Mistborn trilogy sounds interesting. I love series. That makes it so you don't have to say goodbye to the characters as soon as you would with a single book.
    As I recall, the first book worked pretty well as a standalone story, and also as the first chapter in a larger arc (kinda like the first Star Wars movie). I'm always trying to get friends and coworkers to give Mistborn a try because I was initially skeptical myself and ended up loving it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ooh, space sci-fi does sound fun. Who do you like? I've always been partial to Ray Bradbury, going back to preteen years. I haven't gotten to Asimov, Ben Bova, or any of the other biggies yet. I like me some Philip K. Dick, but I'm not sure how you would classify his work. I recently read Heinlein's Have Spacesuit, Will Travel on the advice of my father. It was one of his fondly remembered faves from his own adolescence. It qualified as a light read.
    Try Asimov's "Foundation" series!!! Seriously good stuff!!!! He's a "classic" for a good reason!!!

Also, my personal Fav, "A Big Front Yard" by Clifford Simak. Great stuff!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Try Asimov's "Foundation" series!!! Seriously good stuff!!!! He's a "classic" for a good reason!!!

Also, my personal Fav, "A Big Front Yard" by Clifford Simak. Great stuff!!!!!!!
    I will be on the lookout for cool old paperback versions of these at work. I get them super-cheap, and I love the art and design of the 60s/70s. At the rate I buy them, though, I will never get them all read. Too much internet.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Connections, by Selena Kitt

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    As I recall, the first book worked pretty well as a standalone story, and also as the first chapter in a larger arc (kinda like the first Star Wars movie actually). I'm always trying to get friends and coworkers to give Mistborn a try because I was initially skeptical myself and ended up loving it.
    If I can get it as an ebook I'll check it out.

Aside: is your avatar Jesse from Preacher or something else?

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, that's Jesse Custer. Spot on.

My Mood
    Amused

I like it.

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love preacher. And Jesse Custer rocks. Such a great and complicated character
    If you love me then love me..

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ooh, space sci-fi does sound fun. Who do you like? I've always been partial to Ray Bradbury, going back to preteen years. I haven't gotten to Asimov, Ben Bova, or any of the other biggies yet. I like me some Philip K. Dick, but I'm not sure how you would classify his work. I recently read Heinlein's Have Spacesuit, Will Travel on the advice of my father. It was one of his fondly remembered faves from his own adolescence. It qualified as a light read.
    I absolutely loved Bradbury when I was in my teens His "All Summer In a Day" is one of the most soul-touching stories.
    Heinlein has always been a bit difficult for me - not sure why, maybe it was a translation problem (read it only in Russian). But I did enjoy "Orphans Of the Sky".

This time around I will probably re-read Robert Shekley's "Mindswap" (have not gotten back to his books for years but recently his name came up in a conversation on this forum). Or maybe Stanislaw Lem's "The Star Diaries" - one of my favorites, or his "Return From the Stars" - but this one is probably too sad for me atm.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I am currently reading The Bachman Books. I finished Rage and now I am reading The Long Walk.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished Fear Itself: The Early Works of Stephen King this morning. Did I say I don't usually have three books going at once? So much for that...

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just started that! Coincidentally, I came on here to mention that book and I came across your post.

I haven't actually bought the book yet, but I'm reading the first three chapters online. (It's on Brandon Sanderson's web site.

Still rather early yet, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far (the prologue and first 2 chapters). The magic system is particularly very original and interesting. No doubt I'll pick the actual book up at some point.

I was mainly interested as I read the Wheel of Time books, and I've quite liked what Sanderson has done with his continuation. I thought it would be worthwhile to give his own works a try.

I'm also reading Stephen King's Just After Sunset. I'm on 'N' now. I read it originally on-line (or actually I think 'watched and heard it' would be a better example. I seem to remember it vaguely as a rather interesting multimedia type presentation) , but I think there's actually more stuff in this version. With the exception of 'Graduation Afternoon' I've enjoyed all the other stories so far.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike 'Graduation Afternoon'. As a character piece it wasn't bad. I just didn't like the main character all that much, and the story itself was very small, and did little for me, although I wasn't oblivious to the emotional core. Just writing that I find myself persuading myself otherwise. Okay, it was good. Just not as good as the rest, so far.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm loving World War Z, I really am, but I'm finding myself only being able to read it for short bursts at a time. The most I've read in one sitting thus far is 30 pages.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Finished "Royal Assassin" yesterday, read it Friday night and Saturday. Now I really want the next book. But that would require going to the bookstore, which would require a shower and clothes. Ain't happening today.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Brainslinger: Cool! I think you'll like it. Give it about 100 pages and see if you're not hooked.

feverishparade: I loved World War Z, too. It's one of those books that can lend itself to small doses, or as chapters read between other books if you prefer. The audiobook is good, although it is abridged. A cast of actors read as the different "interviewees". I seem to recall really liking what Alan Alda did with his part.

I've just started reading The Hunger Games. About sixty pages in, and I'm really digging it thus far.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice KindredAutmn is on a distinguished road KindredAutmn's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Neil Gaiman- Neverwhere

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Crichton - Timeline
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 359 of 714 FirstFirst ... 259 309 349 357 358 359 360 361 369 409 459 ... LastLast