Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 227 of 254 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 237 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Traveler jabalong is on a distinguished road

Am so happy this misguided adaptation has turned out to be a big mess.

While it will set the brand back as far as adapting it again, I hope it can lay fallow for a while then be picked up by someone who knows what to do it.

I think the Dark Tower is made to be an HBO series. It's western, it's old knights, it's science fiction, it's post-apocalyptic, it's dark.

It could be a huge hit if done properly by people who respect the material and in the medium to take the time to explore it.

Would be perfect for HBO.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jabalong View Post

While it will set the brand back as far as adapting it again, I hope it can lay fallow for a while then be picked up by someone who knows what to do it.

I think the Dark Tower is made to be an HBO series. It's western, it's old knights, it's science fiction, it's post-apocalyptic, it's dark.

It could be a huge hit if done properly by people who respect the material and in the medium to take the time to explore it.

I agree with that. Imagine if they had tried to cram GoT into a few movies.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i look at it this way, there have been series out there that it's 1st film wasn't that great and than when it gets into the right person's hands it can be maybe a better flim? i'm hoping that it will get a sequel and that does happen and they still can follow the books as well as do different shit if they so choose, just as long as it follows the books more than this one did. i watched Assanssis Creed sorry for my shit spelling, the film flopped i believe and i can see why, it's a medicore at best film that has plenty of flaws and it has potential to be a great series if the right writers tackle it. they are doing a sequel to that and i'm hoping that the 2nd film is better and i have never played any of those games before.

some remakes surprised me by being good, and i hate remakes with a passion but i loved the remake for Dawn of the dead i only have seen the unrated cut. and oddly i liked black X-mas better than the Original which i thought was a decent picture. but let's face it they got people that i wonder has even fucking read the series? why Hollywood and it's not always the writers fault either or the directors, yes a lot of times it can be i'm not denying that but sometimes it's the studio's fault and they THINK that they know what's good and what's bad. they don't always them changing so much was fucking stupid as hell and how can they NOT get that it would piss the real fans off? i love the Harry potter films and the books too,

but for certain shit that was cut for those i can see why it was cut, not everything that was cut or changed may i add. i still would love to see longer cuts for all the films of shit that was cut but that's unlikely to ever happen. and by cut scenes i don't mean 2 or three the 5th film alone had a shit ton of it cut for some stupid ass reason. but with DT i wonder when it hits blu-ray in a few months if they will put out a longer cut? and will it be an improvement over what we did get or will it be worse?

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is there a consensus that Idris Elba did a commendable job portraying Roland Deschain?

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jabalong View Post

Honestly I think HBO might be kind of risky given how they treated Carnivale. DT is a pretty tonally jarring series going from gritty westerns to giant robot bears and talking trains not to mention the meta elements with Wizard of Oz popping up. It would be like aliens in spaceships arriving in Season 3 of Game of Thrones.

I think either a smaller show on Starz (given they're doing off-kilter stuff like American Gods) or something like Netflix would be the best bet for DT to succeed.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Like I said in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm thinking the TV series could actually serve as a backdoor reboot. Start with Wizard and Glass for one or two seasons, then do The Wind Through the Keyhole, with maybe some of the Marvel comics flavor sprinkled in, and then go into The Gunslinger, and so forth.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    Is there a consensus that Idris Elba did a commendable job portraying Roland Deschain?
    Idris Elba was probably one of the highlights although he couldn't save the mess of a script.

After seeing the film I don't think it's wise to try and fix what went wrong with further movies and a series. They should bag it and reboot it later.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't you guys understand the film business? Sony made the film and even though they shit the bed with it, they own the rights now. Why do you think they rushed it into production, cut corners and basically made a shit film? Because they wanted to lay claim to it.

Dont forget SONY is the studio who kept Spiderman away from MARVEL for YEARS.

The Dark Tower is fucked.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Along the Path of the Beam Wicked will become famous soon enough Wicked's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    Looks like a mediocre box for the first weekend. I expect that the hardcore fans all went this weekend and that with the awful reviews it will plunge out of sight real fast. I've decided to wait until it hits PPV.
    I'll wait for HBO. This might sound harsh, but I don't want to support this one with my money lest' this kinda of thing becomes the norm for King movies. I get free HBO with my DirectTV streaming service.
    “Beyond the reach of human rage..A drop of hell, a touch of strange ...” ― Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    Don't you guys understand the film business? Sony made the film and even though they shit the bed with it, they own the rights now. Why do you think they rushed it into production, cut corners and basically made a shit film? Because they wanted to lay claim to it.

I wouldn't say that. They made good Spider-Man films... and when they messed up on the last couple... they reached out to Marvel/Disney for a collaboration. I bet you if they do the TV show... it will be much better. Just need to take their time and do it right. The film wasn't great but it was ok for me. IT looks to be MUCH better and more fun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hmm. I didn't watch all the review videos, as I don't want to be spoiled*, but so far this does not look good at all. My feelings are kind of mixed, as I wasn't too sure there should be an adaptation at all. And I'll admit I wasn't keen on certain casting choices. I loved the idea of '
    Spoiler:
    it's another loop'
    though, but now I'm starting to wonder if keeping to that idea but filming something closer to the original films might have been better.

Anyhow, I'm still looking forward to it. I was hoping to catch it this weekend, but it turns out it doesn't premier over here in the UK until the 18th! Almost two weeks! If I really like it, all well and good. If I don't, I guess I can assume in my personal head canon that it's something that happened on one of those 'balcony worlds' and any next cycles in the mainstream Tower verse(s) happened differently. We'll see.

One thing I've been wondering, what if I like it but I'm still disappointed? (That can happen.) Is that worse that completely hating the film? It depends on how you look at it, I guess. Something bad can be ignored. Something that's fun, and has merit... but just doesn't fulfil it's potential... I dunno.

I'll see, anyway. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy It more. I never thought I'd say that. As someone who enjoyed the mini-series, I wasn't keen on filmed adaptations!

* Although some of it has been on here. Most of you are pretty good with your spoiler tagging but some stuff slipped through... grrr. Still, my fault for attending this thread after the film has been aired in the US.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

I wouldn't say that. They made good Spider-Man films... and when they messed up on the last couple... they reached out to Marvel/Disney for a collaboration. I bet you if they do the TV show... it will be much better. Just need to take their time and do it right. The film wasn't great but it was ok for me. IT looks to be MUCH better and more fun though.

With Spider-Man they had no other choice. They were losing money and the hacks hurt them. If you read the emails they sent the last thing they wanted to do was slink back to Marvel.

DT was something that it was clear from the get-go they didn't know how to handle it so they put it out in August with minimal promotion and a review embargo lifted at the last minute.

I'd be very surprised if the show is even made despite their claims.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I was planning on seeing it tomorrow night, but now am thinking that I'm better off saving my money and waiting until it's on DVD. I probably won't have to wait too long.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'm thinking the TV series could actually serve as a backdoor reboot. Start with Wizard and Glass for one or two seasons, then do The Wind Through the Keyhole, with maybe some of the Marvel comics flavor sprinkled in, and then go into The Gunslinger, and so forth.
    Not a bad idea at all, especially given that the ongoing plan, even had the current film been a hit, was never to follow up by making another one just like it. The way is clear for an alternate approach to save the overall series.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not saying the original Spiderman movies sucked. Just illustrating a point about how it is only about holding the rights and making money off of a creative IP is the only thing these Studios care about. They DONT care about the story.

Here is another current example about how Marvel comics cancelled their own LONGEST CONSECUTIVELY RUNNING COMIC BOOK (Fantastic Four) in a squabble over film rights

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fanta...rights-a153071

It is all about milking the cash cow and greedy Suits and Studios trying to build a golden calf to pray to. They dont care about the story. Stephen King cared about the story. The Fans care about the story
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

IT looks to be MUCH better and more fun though.
    I agree the IT Trailer looks awesome. IT will be good to get a GREAT Stephen King adaptation again (you can count the times that has happened on one hand)
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post

With Spider-Man they had no other choice. They were losing money and the hacks hurt them. If you read the emails they sent the last thing they wanted to do was slink back to Marvel..
    Of course not, because they are Greedy Fucking Pigs
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    I was planning on seeing it tomorrow night, but now am thinking that I'm better off saving my money and waiting until it's on DVD. I probably won't have to wait too long.
    I will be surprised if this film isnt in the Red Box by the end of this month if not sooner
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I was surprised to learn that the highest ever box office opening for a King movie was $20.5 million. That was for 1408 in 2007.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I was surprised to learn that the highest ever box office opening for a King movie was $20.5 million. That was for 1408 in 2007.
    This would be, roughly speaking, $24.5 million in 2017 dollars. By that metric, The Dark Tower hasn't done so bad.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

plus 5 postcards.

Country
    Country Flag

This would be, roughly speaking, $24.5 million in 2017 dollars. By that metric, The Dark Tower hasn't done so bad.
    Well 1408 opened up in about at a thousand less theaters than DT and had less than half the budget.

My Collection

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Well 1408 opened up in about at a thousand less theaters than DT and had less than half the budget.

"Always with the negative vibes, Moriarity"!!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Not for nothing...the audience score is 63%. Critics have it at 18%.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 227 of 254 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 237 ... LastLast