Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 254 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 205 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

John F. Kennedy Absttractharmony will become famous soon enough Absttractharmony's Avatar

Gina Torres for Odetta

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Michael Biehn as Roland.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Absttractharmony View Post
    Gina Torres for Odetta
    I think Viola Davis would be good for Odetta or Aja Naomi King.
    Ha can you tell what show I came home to last night.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

J/w how do you guys/girls think Rutina Wesley would be for Susannah? She's pretty muscular which is how I pictured her from the books.

Also if they do the 'different actors for Walter/Flagg' I think Robert Carlyle would be great for Walter. He has that 'titter' down pat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOwbZKxpzk
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I just looked her up (had no idea who she was). Yup, perfect body type.

How's her acting?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

McConaughey in his Rust mode (from the first few episodes, he got beefier in later episodes) would make a perfect Roland: http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvba...19_b_v7_aa.jpg

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I just looked her up (had no idea who she was). Yup, perfect body type.

How's her acting?
    She was in True Blood. The show was pretty hit and miss but she was one of the best actors on it.

Edit: She was also in the last season of Hannibal, she was solid there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    McConaughey in his Rust mode (from the first few episodes, he got beefier in later episodes) would make a perfect Roland: http://www.gstatic.com/tv/thumb/tvba...19_b_v7_aa.jpg
    He'd be a great Roland but at this point I'm so set on him being Flagg that I think I'd be disappointed if he wasn't.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    J/w how do you guys/girls think Rutina Wesley would be for Susannah? She's pretty muscular which is how I pictured her from the books.

Also if they do the 'different actors for Walter/Flagg' I think Robert Carlyle would be great for Walter. He has that 'titter' down pat.

I totally see that, but I feel like he'd be TOO Walter - like it would be a real obvious interpretation, almost exactly like what you'd expect. But as an actor, and the look, he would work.

I like McConagehy, because I'm not sure what he'll be like as the bad guy, so it's intriguing. He'd be a good Roland too, for much the same reason.

(Woody Harrelson as Walter?)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

I totally see that, but I feel like he'd be TOO Walter - like it would be a real obvious interpretation, almost exactly like what you'd expect. But as an actor, and the look, he would work.

I like McConagehy, because I'm not sure what he'll be like as the bad guy, so it's intriguing. He'd be a good Roland too, for much the same reason.

(Woody Harrelson as Walter?)

They should hire us as their casting directors don't you think? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler Inglorion will become famous soon enough Inglorion's Avatar

Although I may be a page or two late in discussing the rumored casting choice of Elba as Roland, and I would certainly prefer my first post on this forum (and hopefully not the last) to not be about something as petty as race, I'd just like to give a few non-inflammatory remarks about why I don't personally agree with this casting choice before the tide of the conversation progresses too far.

Here is a list of a few reasons why I feel that the actor eventually cast as Roland should indeed fit his description in the books.

1. His lineage to Arthur Eld and the theme in the series of elements from one world bleeding into the other and vice versa

Roland is the last descendant of Arthur Eld, Mid-World's version of King Arthur. King Arthur is a Caucasian mythological figure based on all source material related to him. Roland actually wields guns forged from Excalibur, so there can be little doubt that Arthur Eld can even be considered twinners, who as we know from information in the series are essentially identical in appearance. So my point is, in casting a black man as Roland, it would go against the source material of elements from different worlds bleeding into each other. Kind of like if at the end of the Wizard & Glass movie if the palace on the highway is purple, yet all the characters start shouting references to The Wizard of Oz as if nothing is amiss. It would leave the audience scratching their heads and thinking, "Hmmm, shouldn't that palace be emerald?"

2. The blue bombardier's eyes and Jake's eyes

This is not just a superficial character description. They're often referred to as gunslinger's eyes as well. Sure, that could be retconned in the movies that dark brown eyes are gunslingers eyes, but I feel like it's a pointless change.

Also, Jake's eyes are often described as being a very similar shade of blue. This is significant in that Roland sees Jake as his non blood related son, and Jake feels the same way for Roland as a father. I don't think it's as simple a matter as throwing some contact lenses on an African American actor. It would require too much of a suspension of disbelief to see an African American man with blue eyes; hell, even if they did throw some contacts on, I don't even believe it's possible to make them look as sky blue as described.

3. Artist's interpretation shouldn't matter

This should be short and sweet. Simply put, the artist's interpretations in both the comics and the novels are based on the AUTHOR'S own description. I want that to be clear, we're not basing our image of the characters on artwork with creative license taken; the interpretation of the characters' descriptions is often very accurate except on a few occasions as far as I can remember (the one I can remember for sure is Jake being black haired in some of the Wastelands artwork).

4. Complicating plot points

Stephen King is described as looking a bit like Roland when they meet in Book VI. This was a very deliberate comparison the author wished to point out so there's a level of absurdity in casting a black man in the role of a man that's described as a cross between old spaghetti western stars/Cherokee Indian/Stephen King/blue bombardier's eyes. It's almost the exact opposite as described and it complicates a connection between the author and his main character. Are they going to retcon Stephen King as a black man so this makes more sense? Sure, you can cut it, as it's a minor plot point, but how far are they willing to compromise the source material if they're willing to do this? I think casting a Native American actor would suit some people better as it at least fits half of his description, and for the most part I don't think this is a racist argument at all.

All in all it is terrible when an actor should be out of consideration for a a role based on race, whether it be Dolph Lundgren reading for a chance to play the lead in a biopic about Gary Coleman, or the other way around. I just feel like a lot of people have fallen in love with the image of the lean, leathery gunslinger, last descendant of that old Arthur of Anglo-Saxon literature. If it ain't broke don't fix it, imo.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I stand behind my opinion that they will cut the King connection out of the movie (if it's actually ever made). King himself has already said that he has considered taking that part out in rewrites. I think it's clever in the books but would be awkward in the movie. Not sure how they will get around it but I would be shocked to see it kept in.

Olyphant would be an awful Roland.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Haha - Oylphant would be awful? Oh well...

Inglorion - you make plenty of good points, and I think it's pretty clear where I stand (and I don't care if it's Elba - just that he could be considered)....I think all of your LITERARY comments are true, but that's all stuff that might be totally changed or shifted anyway. I don't think it would be changed BECAUSE of Elba, but some of it's going to be changed because that's how movies are. So the possible changes - Blue eyes? CGI. King Arthur? Gilead's is it's own place, and as I've said before there were Moorish knights. Jake and Roland's relationship - old man, young kid, the literary dynamic of that relationship would be established differently in the course of a film where the exposition has to be different. And -please note that I'm not saying those are good choices or good ideas - but a filmmaker could easily make any/all of them.

And I agree with Johnny above - I don't think the Stephen King character would even work in a movie because it would lose the connection of reading a book with a character that is the writer of the book - as a movie, it's two steps removed from the joke and now it's just confusing. A character in a movie playing the writer of a book that the movie is based on - huh? Again - would I like it if SK was in the movie - sure, be fun. But I would understand if it's cut. (and let's say a producer is totally fired up about casting Elba - or Jamie Coxx, or Denzel Washington - he's not going to say "Waitaminute - on Page 125 of Book VI there's a brief reference to how Roland and SK look sort of the same - nope, back to the drawing board!" If they're making a million-dollar, decade-long investment in an actor, they'll cut the scene from the book first)

Ultimately, as I've said - and I will say it one more strident time - I don't care if it's Elba, but we as fans should be open to different possibilities than accepting a pure literal adaption. Yes, we'll be happy if we get exactly what we expect - but we won't be surprised or astonished. So if it turns out to be Elba (doubtful) I think we can accept this brand new version of our familiar adventure. But - if it IS the literal adaption you describe, then I'd be as happy as anybody. But I think we all know that there are plenty of places where the current narrative won't work - the movies won't resemble the books 100 percent, or probably close to 75 percent. So it IS going to be compromised for reasons that have nothing to do with casting.

(The Dolph Lundgren -Gary Coleman example involve real people - so it's not really the same thing - and the Wizard of Oz reference must remain GREEN, because it's talking about an actual movie that already exists in real life. The color choices would matter to the story in both those examples. Changing Roland's skin color doesn't change the story, it only changes a few surface dynamics that would happen differently in film than they do in books.

Finally - because my stridency means I'm often misunderstood, it's NOT racist to want Roland played by a white actor - it's the book, so obviously it's not racist to expect a movie to resemble the book.

But it IS culturally privileged to expect a creation from 1982 to show up the exact same way in 2016. As in, we expect it to stay that way forevermore - even though the world changes all around us. What we say when we say "Roland must be white, lanky, tall and blond" is that OUR nostalgia and OUR culture trumps the audience of today that might expect to see a different worldview than was typical of 1982...again, I don't care if it's Elba - but when we put our foot down for OUR nostaligia, and OUR memories and OUR expectations to meet OUR culture then that IS our cultural privilege talking - not racism, but privilege.

That doesn't mean we ARE "privileged" when we want a "white Roland," because for lots of good reasons, it just makes sense - but we should at least ask ourselves WHY it's so important to us....and what are we hanging onto when we get fired up about something so - literally - skin deep? Why does it matter? Why does it really matter?

Spiderman has been an iconic white teenage hero since 1962 - but in 1962, segregation would still exist for several years...so of COURSE Spiderman was white...so in 2016, do we have to use that character type? Why? Because it was created a certain way in an America that doesn't exist anymore? Yes, we here are all used to seeing a white Spiderman - but you know who isn't used to it? A 10-year-old who's just learning what Spiderman is. So changing Spiderman's race would change THAT kid's perception for the next 50 years - who cares what we think? Our time is over.)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I understand what you are saying, but "new and hip" is not always a great alternative. Sometimes, the "original" must establish a baseline.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    They should hire us as their casting directors don't you think? LOL
    That's funny, because today I literally had a moment where I was like "it's so awesome that Walton Goggins is going to be Eddie...oh, wait a minute - we said that."

I understand what you are saying, but "new and hip" is not always a great alternative. Sometimes, the "original" must establish a baseline.
    You are right - and each case must be made on its own merits.

I'm actually much more supportive to a black Spiderman than I would be to Idris Elba as Roland - I think Spiderman actually matters to "culture at large" (which is why I'm perfectly fine with Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury - even though the white Nick Fury was one of my favorite characters growing up)...I think Roland appeals more to fanboys like us who want what we want.

But remember - what's "original" to us, is just "old and tired" to somebody else.

John F. Kennedy Absttractharmony will become famous soon enough Absttractharmony's Avatar

Sam Jackson is Nick Fury because that's how Bryan Hitch decided to draw him in The Ultimates when the 'alternate' Marvel universe kicked off. A case of Life imitating Art.

Quote Originally Posted by Absttractharmony View Post
    Sam Jackson is Nick Fury because that's how Bryan Hitch decided to draw him in The Ultimates when the 'alternate' Marvel universe kicked off. A case of Life imitating Art.
    Ah - I had no idea. Good choice.

Oh - and welcome to the board to "Inglorion!" First post! Yay!

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

We ARE fine with an actor that isn't white. Javier Bardem is Spanish and was a likely contender for the spot for a while, and we were happy with him. I'd rather see a Spanish, Latino, or Mexican actor fill the role over a white man anyways.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Off topic but a Black/Hispanic Spiderman already exists.. although he's a completely a new persona, not Peter Parker.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    We ARE fine with an actor that isn't white. Javier Bardem is Spanish and was a likely contender for the spot for a while, and we were happy with him. I'd rather see a Spanish, Latino, or Mexican actor fill the role over a white man anyways.
    I'm fine with that.

But that's sort of the point - all the "King Arthur connections" or "Looks like Stephen King" or "blue eyes" (maybe Bardem's got blue eyes, tho) arguments don't hold up to Bardem either.

If someone could accept Bardem, Elba wouldn't be a big leap either.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

For the record I do not like Bardem for the role. Sticking with my guns.

No pun intended lol.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Walter Goggins for Roland!!!!
    I think he would make a much better Eddie.

I still think Anson Mount from Hell on Wheels would make a great Roland.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually kind of like this idea. I fell off the wagon on True Blood, never finished the series, but I think she would do good as Odetta, especially with Aaron Paul as Eddie
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    I'm fine with that.

But that's sort of the point - all the "King Arthur connections" or "Looks like Stephen King" or "blue eyes" (maybe Bardem's got blue eyes, tho) arguments don't hold up to Bardem either.

If someone could accept Bardem, Elba wouldn't be a big leap either.
    Neither Elba or Bardem will be cast. I dont think we've seen our Roland tossed about in official rumors yet.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 254 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 205 ... LastLast