Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 228 of 254 FirstFirst ... 128 178 218 226 227 228 229 230 238 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I would happily take on a proper reboot of the DT series. All I need is complete creative control over casting, final cut and approve all trailers and music. I'd probably do between 4-7 films depending on their running times. I would shoot ALL of Jake's scenes in the beginning so no problems with aging. It would definitely be 2.35:1. All films would be at least 3 hours. I would still remove all flashbacks and relegate them to a TV series at some point. Roland will be Caucasian. Jake, Eddie and Susannah will all be drawn from their proper years as in the books. I will do all these movies for $19. Sony, call me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    I'd probably do between 4-7 films depending on their running times. All films would be at least 3 hours.
    Yeah...good luck with that (especially with a three plus hour long version of "The Gunslinger"). The series becomes overly-intricate plus rushed starting with "The Wolves of the Calla" until the end. Material is going to either be trimmed down or outright omitted. As for the finale? Pitching a cosmic reset ending to suits and having it survive intact will be a Herculean challenge unto itself.

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Not for nothing...the audience score is 63%. Critics have it at 18%.
    Sounds like i'll love the film. "Professional" critics and I rarely see eye-to-eye.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a thought, but from what I can see so far in reading through the "Critics" responses they just didn't get it fully. This is not and was not supposed to be an adaption of the original material, but a continuation. Even as such, I understand there were a few issues, but TPTB's main critique seems to be with the source material and they specifically tried to avoid it. In my understanding. I'm gonna go see it during off times sometime this week and judge for myself. I suggest we all do the same with that caveat in mind.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One thing that is heartening to take note of is that most* folks who have issues with (or even outright hate) the film aren't using the "Roland being the black ruined the film." line of argument.

* Simply my own observation.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    One thing that is heartening to take note of is that most* folks who have issues with (or even outright hate) the film aren't using the "Roland being the black ruined the film." line of argument.

Well, that is sort of the point, no? Another iteration of the loop. All bets are off content wise, right? If so, theoretically, what ever source material references we get are a bonus is my take.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Well, that is sort of the point, no? Another iteration of the loop. All bets are off content wise, right? If so, theoretically, what ever source material references we get are a bonus is my take.
    I only mention this because, up until the film debuted in theaters, there was a vocal minority that lamented it would be crap because Roland is being played by a non-Caucasian/white actor. They've more or less kept that bit of bellyaching firming contained in their stomachs while bringing other...more legitimate...criticisms to bear.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I only mention this because, up until the film debuted in theaters, there was a vocal minority that lamented it would be crap because Roland is being played by a non-Caucasian/white actor. They've more or less kept that bit of bellyaching firming contained in their stomachs while bringing other...more legitimate...criticisms to bear.

Oh, I gotcha and I am also one of those who initially objected, but came to reconcile it a little differently. You are "spot on" so to speak and it is a good thing. I did not mean to imply otherwise.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice georgiesarm is on a distinguished road

I always took the loop thing as Roland going through the same quest again, but having to make the right choices at crucial moments (not letting Jake fall). We could have seen Roland redeem himself this time around on the big screen, but it sounds like they just took the loop as an excuse to do whatever with the source material and turn it into a toothless Young Adult 90s Sci-Fi flick. To be honest, it is a little weird to have 8 books full of wonderful ideas, characters and set pieces, and to use so little of it. Who were they targeting the movie towards?

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I gotcha and I am also one of those who initially objected, but came to reconcile it a little differently. You are "spot on" so to speak and it is a good thing. I did not mean to imply otherwise.
    No sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiesarm View Post
    I always took the loop thing as Roland going through the same quest again, but having to make the right choices at crucial moments (not letting Jake fall). We could have seen Roland redeem himself this time around on the big screen, but it sounds like they just took the loop as an excuse to do whatever with the source material and turn it into a toothless Young Adult 90s Sci-Fi flick. To be honest, it is a little weird to have 8 books full of wonderful ideas, characters and set pieces, and to use so little of it. Who were they targeting the movie towards?
    Just curious: why are you calling the cinematic adaptation/sequel of The Dark Tower "Young Adult"? Is this solely due to the PG-13 rating or is there a more substantial in-story reason?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by georgiesarm View Post

First off, full disclosure I haven't seen the film yet. I am also not defending it blindly. I'm just saying, if you continue the story from the end of DT-7 then where does it go? Purportedly, the film makers were taking that approach and had a TV series in mind and so forth. Whatever the case the film will most definitely NOT be a full adaptation, but a continuance. In that circumstance, all bets are off other that the prequel BEFORE "The Man in Black.............". Anything could happen once he picks up the horn and tries again, right?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

IF they had made a series of movies based on the books, faithful movies, THEN came out with a movie that was supposed to be the next loop, I would be fine. But I really cannot understand how they can make 8 Harry Potter movies, one for each book. They made a whole pile of Lord of the Rings movies. But yet these movies they have to just throw out everything and condense it to 95 minutes? WTF is that? Cowardly movie making, that 's what. From the studio, from the director, and even from the writer, Stephen King. JK Rowling stood her ground and had movies made that were faithful to the books. As much as I dig King's works, one thing strikes me again and again. He really doesn't give a shit about how his books turn out as movies. After seeing that movie, I have no idea how he can allow that to be made and happily promote it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    IF they had made a series of movies based on the books, faithful movies, THEN came out with a movie that was supposed to be the next loop, I would be fine. But I really cannot understand how they can make 8 Harry Potter movies, one for each book. They made a whole pile of Lord of the Rings movies. But yet these movies they have to just throw out everything and condense it to 95 minutes? WTF is that? Cowardly movie making, that 's what. From the studio, from the director, and even from the writer, Stephen King. JK Rowling stood her ground and had movies made that were faithful to the books. As much as I dig King's works, one thing strikes me again and again. He really doesn't give a shit about how his books turn out as movies. After seeing that movie, I have no idea how he can allow that to be made and happily promote it.

Sigh!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    But yet these movies they have to just throw out everything and condense it to 95 minutes? WTF is that? Cowardly movie making, that 's what.
    *rubs temples*

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw the film on Thursday night with one of my teenage sons and his friend. I went in with low expectations. The boys have not read the books, so they had no preconceived ideas. They both really liked it. As this film is a different turn of the wheel from the books, that allowed me to just chill out and enjoy whatever was going to come. I'm glad I saw it. I'm even thinking about seeing it again without all the weight of first time anticipation.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Again...I was open to a different story that was a "Sequel". I was prepared for a those major changes. The problem isn't the changes it's that it's a poorly written and directed film.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

My husband who hasn't read the books liked it. I like it ok, but wanted more then ok. And a bit put off Roland never has a 'redemption' moment. Now trying to figure out a way, if they do more movies, to get Eddie Dean included but not Susannah. Anything goes right?

Also, just to say, almost everyone I heard complain about Roland's race did so because of how that would change his relationship with Susannah/Odetta/Detta. Which is a point. Personally I found all that screaming by Detta cringy so I wouldn't have missed it, but others thought that was an important part of the story.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    My husband who hasn't read the books liked it. I like it ok, but wanted more then ok. And a bit put off Roland never has a 'redemption' moment. Now trying to figure out a way, if they do more movies, to get Eddie Dean included but not Susannah. Anything goes right?

Also, just to say, almost everyone I heard complain about Roland's race did so because of how that would change his relationship with Susannah/Odetta/Detta. Which is a point. Personally I found all that screaming by Detta cringy so I wouldn't have missed it, but others thought that was an important part of the story.
    There are plenty of reasons why Detta Walker hated Roland Deschain. We can have a black Odetta Holmes/Susannah Dean just fine.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Not arguing the point, but I'm just saying others felt it was important.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are plenty of reasons why Detta Walker hated Roland Deschain.
    Yes that he was white and because he had a penis.

Just curious: why are you calling the cinematic adaptation/sequel of The Dark Tower "Young Adult"? Is this solely due to the PG-13 rating or is there a more substantial in-story reason?
    Apparently the whole film is from Jake's perspective and Roland doesn't arrive until a third of way into the film.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Do we really want to go down this road again?

No one is arguing that Detta did not aim racist and homophobic slurs towards Roland. The issue is whether there can be an antagonistic relationship between Detta and dark-skinned Roland Deschain. The answer is: Yes.

Apparently the whole film is from Jake's perspective and Roland doesn't arrive until a third of way into the film.
    That's what I get for failing to clarify that I don't want any spoilers .
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I saw the film on Thursday night with one of my teenage sons and his friend. I went in with low expectations. The boys have not read the books, so they had no preconceived ideas. They both really liked it. As this film is a different turn of the wheel from the books, that allowed me to just chill out and enjoy whatever was going to come. I'm glad I saw it. I'm even thinking about seeing it again without all the weight of first time anticipation.
    I will see it again if I can. It has lots of potential but felt too worked over during the editing/creative process, too many cooks in the kitchen. But I did like it. My friend liked it too, who hasn't read the books.

It also helps that I got the tickets for free because a fire alarm went off half way through the film. This is the second time this has happened at this same theater. The first time was when I went to see La La Land earlier this year. Unbelievable in this day and age that someone actually smoked a cigarette in the bathroom and set the damn alarm off. Took twenty minutes to finally get back to where we were in the film. Sooo, got my money back for the tickets.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

It's strange.... This is the 2nd time Tommy has paid my way into this theater & then ask me to wait for him in the bathroom & then he never shows up.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's what I get for failing to clarify that I don't want any spoilers .
    Don't think it's a huge spoiler based on the trailers but apologies.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No one is arguing that Detta did not aim racist and homophobic slurs towards Roland. The issue is whether there can be an antagonistic relationship between Detta and dark-skinned Roland Deschain. The answer is: Yes.
    Of course there CAN be such an antagonistic relationship based on factors other than race or male. But the movie producer/director/screenwriter would have to make something up. Stephen King, for better or worse, wrote what he wrote and there's no denying what the basis of the antagonistic relationship was. You may be fine with movie moguls tossing out the author's creation for something "better" or that serves the filmed story better, but it's still a hard pill to swallow when the source material is so good. Some Hollywood hack can write a better character or develop a relationship better than King? Of course, some tweaking to fit a movie is fine and I'm totally on board with necessary minor tweaks. But at some point, completely changing the nature of the characters' relationship means you are filming YOUR story; not the author's story.

Having said that, since we in fact do have a black Roland, finding a way to change Detta/Odetta/Susannah to get her into the story would be fine by me if it served to augment a good movie. But here it would seem to be just one more change for change's sake. Hollywood would change her into Xena/Warrior Princess if it thought that would sell 10 more tickets to the YA crowd or do 2.7% better in test screenings. Doesn't mean I have to agree with the approach.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 228 of 254 FirstFirst ... 128 178 218 226 227 228 229 230 238 ... LastLast