Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 254 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 134 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Along the Path of the Beam Valkyrie is on a distinguished road Valkyrie's Avatar

Default Movie!

Just saw the news that the DT will likely be made into a movie directed by Ron Howard?! Is this gossip or is this the real thing? Sorry if there is another thread on here somewhere about this, but I skimmed for one and didn't see it. If so, point me there. Thanks!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the fourth such thread I think. No worries though. I'll go find it for ya'.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Traveler daughterofsteven is on a distinguished road

Brice's option sounds like my favorite option...I know personally I would hate for them to come out with something that just butchered the story and the characters we so love.

But, I do agree with Curt, we are the wierd ones, the Tower Junkies, and if y'all are anything like me you read, cry, re-read, analyize, agonize and re-read again all of the books over and over. It's almost like they become a part of you. I think that's what really scares all of us, someone making what is so great look foolish.

I really kind of hope they blow the world away and totally rock though....

And this topic is precisely what brought me back to the world of The Dark Tower. I ran downstairs saying, "no, no, no, no!" and told my husband what I had learned. I then promptly came in search of other Tower Junkies to find out more.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by daughterofsteven View Post
    And this topic is precisely what brought me back to the world of The Dark Tower. I ran downstairs saying, "no, no, no, no!" and told my husband what I had learned. I then promptly came in search of other Tower Junkies to find out more.

This sentiment cannot be expressed more eloquently.

If you rescue me

Along the Path of the Beam Canada is on a distinguished road Canada's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What really makes me mad about this isn't whether they'll be good or not (Water if god wills it; they will be or won't be, nothing we can do about it.) but they had the nerve to stick us with a Trilogy?! Wait, so Harry Potter, with 7 books, gets 7 movies (actually 8, since they're apparently gonna split up the last book into two movies. So it's even worse.) Twilight, with it's 4 (or something) books, gets like 4 movies (even though there's so little content in any of the books, the entire series could've fit down into one movie) but they take the content-packed, mature Dark Tower series and cut it down into 3? I take that personally, and there's literally no way the series can come out even decent in only 3 movies.

Ron Howard: But Canada, you forget that there's gonna be a TV series too!

Canada: Oh, right. That'll make it all better. Hey, remember that episode of the Andy Griffith show where you were almost forced to marry a baby? (Episode 139: The Darling Baby, aired Dec 7, 1964)

Ron: ....I....I....

Canada: I do, and thanks to you, that's all I'll be able to think about while I'm watching your movie. Your serious, non-andy-griffith movie.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Okay, those jokes about Ron Howard playing Opie Taylor really aren't fair--if you're going to insult him, insult him based on his movies, not on that. [/rant]

Anyway, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up needlessly, but to be fair, they're still discussing the matter at this point and there's the possibility that it'll end up being more than three movies in the end (will it be seven? I don't know....). Don't forget, The Lord of the Rings was originally going to be done in TWO movies, but it ended up in three. Maybe the same will happen for The Dark Tower series.

Then again, Stephen King is on board this time, and I haven't heard any complaints from him about trimming it down to a trilogy, not even in a "I'm not happy with it but it's the best they can do so I'm giving in" kind of way, so maybe it won't--although it might if they find it unworkable to do only three....

I don't know, all I do know is I will definitely watch this project with the eyes of a hawk.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have enjoyed most SK movies, even the really, really cheesy ones. So, I have no apprehension about seeing a movie made from the best series of books I have ever read, and I thing that Ron Howard is a good choice to do it. If it sucks, then it is no more an atrocity than the Stand or It made-for-tv-miniseries. If it is even halfway decent, then this is an EPIC WIN in my opinion.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am still undecided about this. The films may just focus on the batles and action element which would change the essence of the books. I just would hatge the idea of the W&G being a 30 second flashback or somehting like that. Plus King has always said the books are about the journey and making a film about it seems to negate this fact as the journey will be to quick.

That said, I will watch it, I think I would like to see someone's vision of the towns like Tull and the Callas could be quite cool.

Or it could be a 3d monstrosity with riza plates flying out at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickrose View Post

Or it could be a 3d monstrosity with riza plates flying out at you.
    *shudders*

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

J&Y: My comments about Opie making the dark tower were kind of playful tongue in cheek comments. As I've said he's made some good movies. My hopes are just not very high for a DT movie at all.

If you rescue me

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm really surprised at the mostly negative reaction. Is it just the fact it's finally moving along and it looks like it may get actually made, or is it the people involved, or is it the length (which is subject to change, I think, because everything is very tentative at the moment, it seems)?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptation?

I just wanted to see how many of you actively want a Dark Tower movie series or TV series, and how many adamantly do not, so it's a simple yes/no poll. For me personally, it's a no-brainer, because, as King has said numerous times, no adaptation can replace the printed page, and I fully agree. The Dark Tower movies and/or television series could be bad or could be good, but that's not the point. It will raise public awareness of the books, and if done right, will raise King out of that "horror" pool most of the public places him in.

I'd appreciate, and I think it would be fun and constructive, if you could post your reasons for voting either way. Just try and keep it unhyperbolic and civil

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am and have always been opposed to a DT movie/tv series/play/or even a group of people acting it out at home without my knowledge.

If you rescue me

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

If I had the chance to interview the screenwriter, hypothetically, are there any questions you'd like me to ask him?

Traveler johnny39 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    If I had the chance to interview the screenwriter, hypothetically, are there any questions you'd like me to ask him?
    "Is there any possible way you can make it so Oy doesn't become the movie's Jar Jar Binks?"

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, my question to the screenwriter would be this: ideally, what kind of audience would you be aiming for? PG-13? R? Do you imagine this as a family friendly franchise like Star Wars, or definitely more adult like The Matrix?

I don't know, maybe there's a better way to rephrase that, but I'm ok with changes being made to the story, as long as it's not aimed at completely the wrong demographic. One thing I definitely do not want to hear is a PG rated Dark Tower series, moment I hear that, my skepticism would go through the roof!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the answer is no

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    It will raise public awareness of the books, and if done right, will raise King out of that "horror" pool most of the public places him in.
    I think exactly the opposite. It will give people a firm idea that they are already acquainted with the books, and that the books are really nothing special. If anything, if will consolidate the existing, awfully wrong image of King.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, How about, "Are you a fan of the Dark Tower series and have you read the books prior to this project?"

"Who's your favorite character and why?"

"What elements of the story stand out to you, i.e. action, magic, mystery etc.?"

"How much influence do you anticipate receiving from Stepehen King on the screenplay? Will he edit or contribute to your work?"

How's that for a start?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

How about : Do you feel any pressure from the DT fans to "get it right" and would you feel comfortable taking certain liberties in order to fit the movie into a specific genre or ( more likely ) running time?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Ok, How about, "Are you a fan of the Dark Tower series and have you read the books prior to this project?"

"Who's your favorite character and why?"

"What elements of the story stand out to you, i.e. action, magic, mystery etc.?"
    My sentiments exactly Also "What drew you to this project?"

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I did want a dark tower film adaption, back when damon, carlton and JJ were gonna do it
    if anybody could do it then it's the dreamteam behind lost

now i'm not so sure
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Tough for me to vote either way.

I don't have much of an opinion either way because arguments from both sides are compelling.

On the one hand, more people nowadays pay attention to movies than to books, so I'm inclined to agree with the idea that film adaptations, especially of something by Stephen King, will draw the attention of people who might not be bothered to read the series for themselves because it's too long or whatever.

On the other hand, by its very nature, the series cannot be done faithfully on screen. It would take a tremendous amount of care and talent to be faithful to the tone and themes of the series without being tied down to the exact events. I haven't seen enough of Ron Howard's movies to know if he and his people are up to the task, but it's very possible that the adaptation will suffer in comparison--not to mention the counter-argument that it'll make people think they know the story already and won't be inclined to read the books as a result. I'd rather have an adaptation that influences people to read the source material than not.

What I will say, however, is that I'm going to be keeping tabs on this thing, so I guess the closest to a "yes/no" answer that I can give is "yes," but it's a qualified "yes."

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

John and Yoko's post sums up my thoughts perfectly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 254 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 134 ... LastLast