Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to display oversized books-My Pretty Pony, SOD, Knowing Darkness

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I lied in my earlier post, kinda, lol.

A couple of days ago I moved my large books including Knowing Darkness and 'Salem's Lot to now sit on top of one of my bookshelves. The bookshelf is next to a cabinet that rises higher that the bookshelf. So I have the books rested against the cabinet and on top of the bookshelf. The books are now pretty high and no longer a focus of my collection, but they look pretty good up there and it clears up space in my shelves below.
    Geoff

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I lied in my earlier post, kinda, lol.

A couple of days ago I moved my large books including Knowing Darkness and 'Salem's Lot to now sit on top of one of my bookshelves. The bookshelf is next to a cabinet that rises higher that the bookshelf. So I have the books rested against the cabinet and on top of the bookshelf. The books are now pretty high and no longer a focus of my collection, but they look pretty good up there and it clears up space in my shelves below.
    I hope you have safety signs posted

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

lol, just image if that book in the picture was Knowing Darkness. That would cause some serious damage!
    Geoff

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is a challenge to display the Lettered FAB.I just put it on a 45 degree angle plastic easel.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You can always get a very cool "Dolso" case and put it on top of the book shelf or a table:

Not oversized, but they can now be displayed at all times

Only slightly oversized, but hopefully you get the idea.

The guy is really freaking amazing!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It is a challenge to display the Lettered FAB.I just put it on a 45 degree angle plastic easel.
    That one fits exactly on top of one of my bookcases, with just a few inches to spare between it and the ceiling. A bit too high to admire daily, but I just don't know where else to put it.
    My Knowing Darkness editions I put on the floor next to the case.

sk

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    That one fits exactly on top of one of my bookcases, with just a few inches to spare between it and the ceiling. A bit too high to admire daily, but I just don't know where else to put it.
    My Knowing Darkness editions I put on the floor next to the case.

sk
    You really need to get a "Dolso" case for KD!!!!!

https://www.bookslipcase.com/Custom_...lip_case_.html
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I've seen those -awesome!
    One day I will!

sk

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I've seen those -awesome!
    One day I will!

sk
    I wouldn't wait too long, Dick is accident prone

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

HA! You might want to get it while I still have 2 hands & 10 fingers to work with!!

Let's see - been building 'woodies' for about 7 years or so, to date I've only lost the USE of three fingers -- means I have 5 fingers & two thumbs to go -- Quick math in the head means I have around 10-12 years to go before they're all useless............ by that time I might be too senile to read, much less build a case.

My motto?? - 'I HAVE A WOODIE FOR YOUR BOOK'
    Last edited by Dolso; 05-14-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: clarification
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That's interesting. How did you lose the use of your fingers, if you don't mind me asking? If you had said "Oh I LOST three fingers" I would understand ...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonsMovies View Post
    That's interesting. How did you lose the use of your fingers, if you don't mind me asking? If you had said "Oh I LOST three fingers" I would understand ...
    Deep cut severs nerve.

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Message sent...........
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Got the message. I didn't know you could lose sensation in your fingers just by doing dirty things with donkeys, midget strippers from Bangkok, and a movie popcorn popper. Interesting, must have been one crazy night!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonsMovies View Post
    Got the message. I didn't know you could lose sensation in your fingers just by doing dirty things with donkeys, midget strippers from Bangkok, and a movie popcorn popper. Interesting, must have been one crazy night!

OK I think that this thread has NOW, officially gone "Off-Topic"!!!!! LOL

What, pray tell, did the poor donkey have to do with it? I shudder to ask!!!!!! LOL

You sir, are a deeply disturbed and mal-justed individual!!!! Good For You!!!!

LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Are books (like the general population) just growing too large?
    From back to front: Knowing Darkness S/L, The Secretary of Dreams Volume One (Lettered), 'Salem's Lot S/L, The Eyes of the Dragon S/L, Blockade Billy Lettered, The Stand S/L, Dolan's Cadillac S/L, Carrie 1st Edition, The Long Walk, The Colorado Kid.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I don't know the answer to your question, but I like the picture.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Crying at the moment, I'll be 99 by the time I get all of those. So old, I won't even see them clearly.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I really think it just depends on the book. Knowing Darkness and SOD are the sizes they are, because of the type of book they are. Focusing on the artwork. I can't really speak for most of the other one's as I haven't seen many of them in person, except for the Billy, which I didn't really think was all that big. It's size is however determined by the art portfolio. I love the traycased Knowing Darkness. I wish I had one, even though it is gigantic.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    I really think it just depends on the book. Knowing Darkness and SOD are the sizes they are, because of the type of book they are. Focusing on the artwork. ...
    I agree with Dan's sentiment.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not a "book", but how the heck do you display your "Taylor Cujo" guitar? I can't play mine (despite 6 months of lessons) worth a darn. I know that most collectors, myself included don't really read their S/L book, but the guitar just seems so lonesome shoved in my closet, and seems to be a waste by not being carefully played. My guitar instructor (who owns >100 guitars) says it's the best sounding acoustic he's ever heard.

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

I set my SODs on top too.. If you have standards shalves, there no other choice.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I may have said something to this effect earlier in the thread, but one of the tragic things about collecting is being able to actually "display" the collectible. Art, generally hangs on a wall, autographed balls go in cases and shirts/jerseys on the wall again, but what do you do to display a treasured book(s)? That is what inspired me to seek out "Dolso" in the first place and work with him (mostly him) to create this piece:

To display my prized 2nd edition LOTR books. Now the pic does not do it justice, but it is accessible and visible, just like some other folks collections. If you can't display it, its almost like why have it right? At least that's my humble opinion, FWIW. Now, If I can just get the wife to allow the LOTR books case in a common area with Mick Jagger, I'm gold!!!!! LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Jerome, even if you don't actually play your guitar you can very easily 'display' it by placing it on a guitar stand in a nice spot in your book room, living room or wherever you fancy.

This is just a very basic model but there are many options:

For what it's worth, I would gladly take the guitar off your hands (I've been playing for over twenty years) but I can't afford it.

*edit: I just noticed that the guitar is actually on a stand already in the pic. Is it yours?

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Not a "book", but how the heck do you display your "Taylor Cujo" guitar? I can't play mine (despite 6 months of lessons) worth a darn. I know that most collectors, myself included don't really read their S/L book, but the guitar just seems so lonesome shoved in my closet, and seems to be a waste by not being carefully played. My guitar instructor (who owns >100 guitars) says it's the best sounding acoustic he's ever heard.

If you have the wall space you can get a guitar hanger which is basically the top portion of your guitar stand that can be mounted on the wall.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast