Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to display oversized books-My Pretty Pony, SOD, Knowing Darkness

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default How to display oversized books-My Pretty Pony, SOD, Knowing Darkness

What do you guys do with these?

I have customer built shelves in my home (Very old pictures) that 12" deep which is overkill for just about every other book.

These guys don't even fit, depth-wise on the 12" shelves, and I'm not sure I want to dedicate 14"+ of vertical space so I can stand them upright.

How do y'all handle your exceptionally large books?
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Craig, I have one shelf that is large enough for Pretty Pony (Knopf edition) and SOD. I still have no idea on how to adequately display the two Knowing Darkness volumes, especially the traycased edition. That baby is just massive! I also have the same size problem with the s/l of Eyes of the Dragon. It's just big. I actually have that stored in its original mailing box.

Many of my bound manuscripts are also of a larger size. I store these laying down, on top of each other, actually. Each, of course, is in its own archival plastic bag.

John

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

My SOD, Pretty Pony and Centipede Salem's Lot gift editions are horizontally stacked on top of each other. My slipcased Knowing Darkness is standing upright on a side table (back to the wall).

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I have them siting upright on a bottom shelf. The bookcase is deep enough to hold the books and the shelves are adjustable, so I have one huge shelf with only a few large books.
    Geoff

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I have them siting upright on a bottom shelf. The bookcase is deep enough to hold the books and the shelves are adjustable,
    Same here - except for the traycased Knowing Darkness. That one is parked right beside my bookcase, on the floor.

sk

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Mine fit on the bottom shelf...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Raising the shelf, provided you can, will provide storage (spine only viewable), but if you wanted to actually display some of these behemoths, it will take massive amounts of space.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

@MrRabbit : according to the pic, the book at the very left seems to fit... but it seems quite tight!
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Oy ! I should have such problems
    I think they look great you guys, really nice

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Goldmember Eric719691 is on a distinguished road

Over the holidays I built a custom case to fit SOD and Knowing Darkness slipcased books with the plan to display them. However, I have since bought a few other big books and they are starting to crowd. The traycased Knowing Darkness sits on top of my mantle right now until I can figure out where it will go.

Eric

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I customized my bookcase slightly by drilling four extra holes so I could raise a shelf just enough to store the tall books on the bottom shelf.

This is an old photo at this point, but you get the idea:

That height also allows for non-King large editions such as Gaiman's ABSOLUTE SANDMAN and Joe Hill-featured IDW: THE FIRST DECADE.

I don't own the massive KNOWING DARKNESS as yet, so I can't address that particular storage issue.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm using the bottom shelf of a curio cabinet to display my Knowing darkness facing out. The whole shelf is just for that one book.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I'm using the bottom shelf of a curio cabinet to display my Knowing darkness facing out. The whole shelf is just for that one book.
    Photo?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still out of state. I will get one as soon as I can.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    @MrRabbit : according to the pic, the book at the very left seems to fit... but it seems quite tight!
    It's never going to be moved. It's not a book I ever look at. I have the even larger version which I cannot put in the bookcase.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

May I ask which one is it?
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    May I ask which one is it?

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for all the tips folks. Guess I have to just adjust the shelf up for now. I'm out of storage space, so they'll have to stay flat horizontally as they are now, but eventually I plan on building another set of shelves for just my SK stuff and will make sure they are deep enough to hold all of these.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I have some storage problems with the Stand Portfolio.
    How do you handle it?

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

All you need is to send it to me and I will be happy to store it in for you.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    I have some storage problems with the Stand Portfolio.
    How do you handle it?
    I bought an Art Portfolio holder from the local art supply store and keep it stored in there. Haven't figured out a better way to store it.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    What do you guys do with these?

I have customer built shelves in my home (Very old pictures) that 12" deep which is overkill for just about every other book.

These guys don't even fit, depth-wise on the 12" shelves, and I'm not sure I want to dedicate 14"+ of vertical space so I can stand them upright.

How do y'all handle your exceptionally large books?
    Couple of Pics:

Country
    Country Flag

jeez RF, how many copies of each book do you have?! hehe.

Do those stands you have the books leaning on prevent spine lean?
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The stands just display the books. They don't really contribute to or prevent spine lean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast