Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 265 of 441 FirstFirst ... 165 215 255 263 264 265 266 267 275 315 365 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,625 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    What!!?? LOVED IT. Thought provoking and well done. Much how I think it would go in real life. Ending was superb.... 9/10 for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I stand corrected.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Good acting doesn't make a boring story exciting.
    This is the problem I have with a lot of Oscar nominees. So what if the acting is stellar if the story is boring and the plot non-existent?
    Plot is overrated. All about character, which is where stellar acting comes in. Not saying I don't love a good plot, but if I was presented with two choices: a great plot with okay characters and minimal plot and great characters, I'm choosing the later. My favourite movies are where the plot is so small you can barely see it, like a Utopian Libertarian government lol. One of the reasons I loved Mad Max: Fury Road so much.
    But what about both? I think if a movie is going to be the best it really needs both. And yes you can have stellar acting, but if there's no plot or horrible plot, or bad filmmaking, then I think that detracts from the acting a bit. And should those actors be nominated? Maybe, but is it really a worthy win if the movie isn't that great?
    If the characters are the plot then it hits both. Moonlight, The Revenant, and Hell or High Water are prime examples of recent films like that. I personally feel the more a plot is moved along by character choices than plot developments, the better the film overall because the progression feels natural. When characters are pulled along by a plot they start to feel like devices instead of people. A great example is a road trip movie...there is a destination and a reason for getting there, but the real fun of those movies is spending time with those characters as things happen along the way. Movies that nail both are great too, I just don't encounter them that often anymore. I can forgive a weak plot if the characters are strong and interesting or thoughtful things happen along the way, even if it's only dialogue, like Before Sunrise and it sequels.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just Viewed The Eyes of my Mother
    It's available via VOD on Directv and other services.

This is the type of movie that gets under your skin. Shot in Black and White in an uncertain time period (is it today, or 30 years ago?) and at some sort of farm in a remote area; the movie tells the story of a female child whose mother is murdered by a stranger. The father returns home to discover the murder, and for reasons unclear, imprisons and tortures the intruder in the barn. Years later the father dies and the child/young woman is left alone with the murderer.

I hesitate to say more, but strongly recommend you take the time to see the movie.

6/6 Beers on the RFSRS (one beer added for the 79 minute brevity of the uncomfortable images).
    Off-putting, and bleak; it makes you squirm.

Disaparaging remark about Manchester by the Sea
    Agreed on this movie. I watched it on RF's recommendation.... and wow... just well done. Thanks man!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Arrival tonight... CANNOT WAIT!
    Webstar don't read until after you see the movie:

Spoiler:
    You won't like it.
    Funny, I loved it. One of my favorite films of the year.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

Spoiler:
    You won't like it.
    I loved it too. I thought I had a good handle on some of the films Webstar typically likes, which made me think he wouldn't like Arrival. I thought he'd think it was too slow.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

Spoiler:
    You won't like it.
    I loved it too. I thought I had a good handle on some of the films Webstar typically likes, which made me think he wouldn't like Arrival. I thought he'd think it was too slow.
    I just loved the speed of it.... it gave me time to digest each scene more and I found myself REALLY thinking during this movie. The last three times I have been to the theater have been wonderful. Hacksaw Ridge, Doc Strange and this. I hope Rogue One (my next one) will be just as good as these three. I WILL BE doing DBox seats too so that should REALLY KILL IT for the fight scenes I expect in Rogue.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That was my Dad. "It was boring and slow. It sucked. You should go see something else."

Basically a glowing recommendation for me.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it a bad sign that I seem to wait for film's to hit PPV these days with my surround sound, 70" HDTV, blue ray and so forth? lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Is it a bad sign that I seem to wait for film's to hit PPV these days with my surround sound, 70" HDTV, blue ray and so forth? lol lol
    Not at all. I'm in your boat. I only have a 60" so I guess I need a bigger boat.
    My motto for "watching" is: Thieving from a thief who is more of a thief then a thief, is not thieving.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Not at all. I'm in your boat. I only have a 60" so I guess I need a bigger boat.
    My motto for "watching" is: Thieving from a thief who is more of a thief then a thief, is not thieving.

LOL Thankfully, I am not alone!!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Was gonna catch Arrival after work today, but from the looks of it it's going to be a 12 hour day...

-_________________-

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Moana was a beautiful movie, with a simple story/catchy Disney song formula. Probably the best animation I've seen thus far in a Disney movie.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Was gonna catch Arrival after work today, but from the looks of it it's going to be a 12 hour day...

-_________________-
    Do yourself a favor.. and get back to see it. What a wonderful original movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Space Between Us: Review

(I saw this last month at a free screening but am just now posting my review to my blog. It's been on my Word document for weeks.)

Mini-reviews:

Arrival: Enjoyed the story, the focus on language, the aliens, but the pace was a little slow for me. I think I would've preferred it to focus on the alien's
    Spoiler:
    gift of language as a way of uniting us, rather than allowing us to see time in a non-linear way. Also, I wish they would've given Jeremy Renner something more to do.

Allied: For me, a case of the trailer not being an accurate portrayal of how the film will play out. In this case, pacing and genre itself. The trailer makes it look like a fast-paced suspenseful film filled with action and intrigue. There are those things, but in small doses. It's actually much more romance than any of those things. Both Pitt and Cotillard were great, the attention to detail (the era-specific clothes, cars, buildings, etc.) was enjoyable as well. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, it just didn't have the sense of urgency or suspense that I was expecting. (I assumed that the movie would start with us knowing Pitt and Cotillard were married, but the film actually takes a while introducing us to them as "co-workers" before they're actually married. Eliminating some of that, or starting the film with them already married, would have helped the pacing, I think.)
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Viewed Manchester by the Sea yesterday. Very tedious. Good acting doesn't make a boring story exciting. I can't believe this movie is a possible Oscar nominee.
    1/6 on the RFSRS. I want my 2.5 hours of life back so I can watch paint dry.
    This is what I love about movies. This is what I love about this forum and talking with all of you. How two people can watch the same film and come away with two completely different perspectives is fascinating to me. I loved it. One of the best films I've seen this year. RF is right. It's a slow, deliberate film. It's what I call a slice-of-life film. We are seeing a realistic portrayal of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Plot is overrated. All about character, which is where stellar acting comes in. Not saying I don't love a good plot, but if I was presented with two choices: a great plot with okay characters and minimal plot and great characters, I'm choosing the later. My favourite movies are where the plot is so small you can barely see it, like a Utopian Libertarian government lol. One of the reasons I loved Mad Max: Fury Road so much.
    I had to go back and quote this statement because Manchester By the Sea is a perfect example of what Matt is talking about. There isn't much plot to Manchester. A guy cares for his brother's son. That's about it, but it's so much more than that. It's certainly the characters that drive the film. Judging by what Matt loves about movies, he should love Manchester By the Sea. I'll be interested in his thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Allied: For me, a case of the trailer not being an accurate portrayal of how the film will play out. In this case, pacing and genre itself. The trailer makes it look like a fast-paced suspenseful film filled with action and intrigue. There are those things, but in small doses. It's actually much more romance than any of those things. Both Pitt and Cotillard were great, the attention to detail (the era-specific clothes, cars, buildings, etc.) was enjoyable as well. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, it just didn't have the sense of urgency or suspense that I was expecting. (I assumed that the movie would start with us knowing Pitt and Cotillard were married, but the film actually takes a while introducing us to them as "co-workers" before they're actually married. Eliminating some of that, or starting the film with them already married, would have helped the pacing, I think.)
    I've heard mixed reviews, but I'm still interested in Allied. I love the time period and I love Zemeckis, so I think it's worth at least a rental.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Arrival was amazing.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Arrival was amazing.
    YES IT WAS
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Mike, I'll seeing Manchester soon. Maybe not until the new year, I don't know. I'm going to Ottawa in two weeks and need all the extra cash for that trip as possible. Like last year, Star Wars will eat up too many screens. I'll have to wait a few extra weeks to see all those smaller releases. And, for some strange reason, The Accountant is coming back to my theatre this weekend with five showtimes? Strange. I wonder if it's a mistake and it's supposed to be Manchester but they got the wrong Affleck haha

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I can watch either Nocturnal Animals or Manchester by the Sea this weekend...

Which should I watch?

Country
    Country Flag

Which should I watch?
    Ummm. Rogue One?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Which should I watch?
    Ummm. Rogue One?
    I'm catching that on Sunday, actually!

I have a few open hours on Saturday though and I want to fill them with one of those two movies above.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw Why Him? last night. It was pretty good. Lots of laugh-out-loud funny moments (and cringe-worthy ones, too) that had the entire theater laughing. I wouldn't say it's a must-see-in-the-theater type of movie (unless you're looking for a communal experience with an audience), but it's not necessarily a waste either.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do The Time Warp Again!: 1/1

Abattoir: 1/1

Fuck, I'm on a roll here.

Country
    Country Flag

I just did a re-watch of Suicide Squad... I found the re-watch almost unbearable. I enjoyed it much more in the theater.. perhaps because it was the theater and movies are just better on the big screen. I did however like the Joker more and more. I LOVE his laugh and think with a better director he could really shine!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 265 of 441 FirstFirst ... 165 215 255 263 264 265 266 267 275 315 365 ... LastLast