Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 229 of 441 FirstFirst ... 129 179 219 227 228 229 230 231 239 279 329 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,725 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The Visit - A solid comeback in quality from M. Night. It reminded me a lot of Signs in its comedy and solid horror sequences. Both of the kids were really good and I loved the grandparents as well. The ending, and I don't mean the twist, was very well done and heartfelt. It's always nice to see horror films about characters overcoming trauma.

4/5
    Agreed. A solid thriller from M. Night.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are some thoughts on The Gift, The Visit, Straight Outta Compton, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, Trainwreck and Ant-Man.

Quick Flicks. Recent (kinda) Movie Round-Up

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quickfire reviews:

Black Mass-
    Not a Goodfellas, not even a The Departed, but a decent gangster biopic whose dearth of punch is partially negated by Depp's mesmerizing turn as White Bulger.
    6.5/10

The Kingsman : Secret Service.
    Mattew Vaughn took the piss. What a beautiful mess.
    5/10

Pearl Harbor
    Lol/10

The Hunt
    A hauntingly gripping film of a man wrongfully accused of a heinous act and the ensuing maelstrom of anger, confusion and disbelief which engulfs a small town. Fantastic film and a great performance by the chameleon like Mads Mikkelsen.
    8/10

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quickfire reviews:

Black Mass-
    Not a Goodfellas, not even a The Departed, but a decent gangster biopic whose dearth of punch is partially negated by Depp's mesmerizing turn as White Bulger.
    6.5/10

5/10

Pearl Harbor
    Lol/10

The Hunt
    A hauntingly gripping film of a man wrongfully accused of a heinous act and the ensuing maelstrom of anger, confusion and disbelief which engulfs a small town. Fantastic film and a great performance by the chameleon like Mads Mikkelsen.
    8/10
    I am going to watch the Hunt... If your giving a 5 to Kingsmen and a 6.5 to Black Mass... I am thinking this is going to be a great flic!! Thanks~
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quickfire reviews:

Black Mass-
    6.5/10

5/10

Pearl Harbor
    Lol/10

The Hunt
    8/10
    I am going to watch the Hunt... If your giving a 5 to Kingsmen and a 6.5 to Black Mass... I am thinking this is going to be a great flic!! Thanks~
    Small caveat, it's a European art house film. If you're not familiar with that realm you might want to read up a bit on the film before pulling the trigger...

But yes, great film.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished my 9th re-watching of "The Aviator". I enjoy the film immensely perhaps more so because of, Mr. Hughes himself.He was a visionary along the lines of, Jules Verne et al. Despite, and possibly because of, his ailments he continues in death to have a great impact on our present day technology. Does anyone know what high profile corporate conglomerate (recently purchased) remains in operation today and impacts our day to day lives?

He sure knew how to spot "The wave of the future". It's a shame that his ailments and eccentricities are more well known than his groundbreaking visions for the future and technological advances that have enriched all our lives in some way or another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hughes

Edit: Leo was great in this film, but Cate Blanchette really nailed "Katherine Hepburn" in this film!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quickfire reviews:

Black Mass-
    6.5/10

5/10

Pearl Harbor
    Lol/10

The Hunt
    8/10
    A agree with your remarks about Blacks Mass, it doesn't reinvent the mobster genre, but it's a decent film. I'd probably rate it a little higher than you. Deep is absolutely fantastic, but the rest of the cast shouldn't get overshadowed. They all do a great job here. I was especially impressed with Joel Edgerton, who is one of my favorite actors right now.

I'm surprised you didn't like Kingsman more. That was one of the more fun movies of the year for me. Some great action.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Just finished my 9th re-watching of "The Aviator". I enjoy the film immensely perhaps more so because of, Mr. Hughes himself.He was a visionary along the lines of, Jules Verne et al. Despite, and possibly because of, his ailments he continues in death to have a great impact on our present day technology. Does anyone know what high profile corporate conglomerate (recently purchased) remains in operation today and impacts our day to day lives?

He sure knew how to spot "The wave of the future". It's a shame that his ailments and eccentricities are more well known than his groundbreaking visions for the future and technological advances that have enriched all our lives in some way or another.

Edit: Leo was great in this film, but Cate Blanchette really nailed "Katherine Hepburn" in this film!!!
    Blanchette was wonderful. The Aviator is my favourite Scorsese film. Who really steals the film though, in his limited screentime, is Alan Alda. My god, what a performance.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Blanchette was wonderful. The Aviator is my favourite Scorsese film. Who really steals the film though, in his limited screentime, is Alan Alda. My god, what a performance.
    He was great, but "Steal the film"? Baldwin was very good as well. To each his own though. So, do you know the answer to my question?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, he steals the film to me. I really appreciate a great weasel in film, like Doug Hutchison's portrayal of Percy in The Green Mile.

As for your question, American Airlines is the only thing I can think of.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

We've talked about this before, but The Aviator is my least favorite Scorsese film. I will have to give it another shot at some point I suppose.

Also, she's Hollywood royalty, so we should get her name right - Cate Blanchett.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Definitely. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more the second time. It's such a well-made film.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, he steals the film to me. I really appreciate a great weasel in film, like Doug Hutchison's portrayal of Percy in The Green Mile.

As for your question, American Airlines is the only thing I can think of.

Okat, I can see where you're coming from, but then you'd have to agree, Juan Tripp (Baldwin) was in a tie, no?

The answer is "Directv" (Now part of AT&T) which was originally a Hughes Corporation.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I managed to catch a showing of The Martian last night, and I can't recommend this movie enough. I'd call it a return to form for Ridley Scott, though given how good the source material for this movie is, it would've been pretty hard to screw up.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Viewed The Martian today (3D). Having read the book, they did job of capturing the best parts of the story while paring down things that would have made for a 4 hour movie.
    Almost 2.5 hours, it captured the duration of being stranded for years without being tedious.

I give it 4.5 beers on the Randall Flagg Six Pack Rating System.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sicario:

While not a perfect film, it is not by any means a flawed film. I can't think of anything wrong with it except for
    Spoiler:
    The film's focus, which is slightly jarring, moves from following the story only through Kate (Blunt) and then really shifts focus towards Alejandro (Del Toro) in the final act, but it is so goddamn well done it's hard to fault the film for it.
    . The acting is top notch and the story is gripping, focusing far more on tension and build-up than actual action, and reminded me a lot of Inglourious Basterds in that respect, though without the extremeness of the culminating violence. What really made the film for me though was the photography. It was blatantly obvious that Roger Deakins was the film's cinematographer, from the natural lighting, to characters and setting cast in darkness, to the usage of the landscape. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, wields darkness in a frame like Deakins...the way characters would just appear out of darkness when the camera slowly pans or they step into the lone and often minimal light-source is just masterful. The characters are often portrayed from a distance so the daunting landscapes and cityscapes can dwarf them and show how small these people really are in the world of drug cartels. Del Toro deserves a Supporting Actor nomination for sure. For those who want to see a good, well-acted story you'll get that. For those who want to marvel at the images, you'll get something more in Sicario.

4/5

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just got back from Sicario. Mind=blown. Prisoners and Enemy were amazing (as was Polytechnique, a lesser known movie), so I was very excited to see Denis Villeneuve's new film. It exceeded all expectations. The first trailer for this was the best, and the tension present in that 2-minute trailer is carried over into this 2-plus hour movie. Just unyielding dread and tension (with tiny specks of humor), beautifully filmed. Acting was superb throughout. Tremendously scary and goosebumps-inducing score. One of the best films of the year.

As a PS, I know he's doing Blade Runner 2, but I thought Villeneuve would be perfect for the new Alien movie(s).

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Black Mass. Really enjoyed this. Depp was unreal.... Like creepy factor of 10. Well done.... Solid 8/10.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Rewatching Interstellar, taking a smoke break about a half hour in. I love this movie. On a side note, I see so much of Rose in the young Murph character.

Seeing The Martian tomorrow or the next day. Excited.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Just got back from Sicario. Mind=blown. Prisoners and Enemy were amazing (as was Polytechnique, a lesser known movie), so I was very excited to see Denis Villeneuve's new film. It exceeded all expectations. The first trailer for this was the best, and the tension present in that 2-minute trailer is carried over into this 2-plus hour movie. Just unyielding dread and tension (with tiny specks of humor), beautifully filmed. Acting was superb throughout. Tremendously scary and goosebumps-inducing score. One of the best films of the year.

As a PS, I know he's doing Blade Runner 2, but I thought Villeneuve would be perfect for the new Alien movie(s).
    That's a good sign for me that you liked it. I've been hyped for this movie for a while, which can sometimes be a bad thing.

I'm also pumped to see more of Roger Deakins' work. The man is a master. I'm hoping to see Sicario this week. I think Denis Villeneuve has officially cemented himself as one of the best directors working today.

Shannon, since you mentioned Interstellar, I must say that I agree. I really enjoyed that film the first time, but it got even better the second time. On a side note, every time I go to the library I feel the need to look through the bookshelves and scream, "DON'T LET ME LEAVE, MURPH! DON'T LET ME LEAVE!" I will do it one day and promptly be escorted out.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sicario

A masterclass in tension and ever escalating dread. Sicario plunges the viewers into the tenebrous abyss of the Mexican drug cartel war.

At the center of the film is naive, idealistic FBI agent Kate Macer (a vulnerable Emily Blunt) whom must turn a blind eye to her blinking moral compass as she is forced to follow the current of morally dubious decisions and shady methods of approach. She is recruited by the shadowy figurehead of a covert operations unit, Matt Graver, played by a gleefully deceptive Josh Brolin. They are joined by an even more enigmatic figure named Alejandro whose mysterious past keeps the audience guessing. Alejandro is played by Benicio Del Toro whom quite frankly steals every scene he is in and is involved in some of the film's most heart pounding moments.

The ominous music raises the tension to a fever pitch, and Roger Deakins' impeccable cinematography showcases the barren wasteland of a city where danger lurks around every corner. The unremitting violence is shot so viscerally and with such intimacy that it is hard not to flinch as the hail of bullets find their mark.

Kate will have to navigate the murky waters of a war where axioms of Good and Bad have been jettisoned and all actions, no matter how reprehensible, are green lighted if it suits the end game. She suspects from the very beginning that Matt and Alejandro are playing at something much more sinister and gradually learns through out the film how deep into the lion's den she has fallen, and whether or not she is equipped to deal with a war which has lost all semblance of structure and where the only law is to survive.

8.5/10

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure Sicario will be getting plenty of good reviews, but it's another one (like The Martian) that I just don't have any interest in seeing.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'm sure Sicario will be getting plenty of good reviews, but it's another one (like The Martian) that I just don't have any interest in seeing.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

John Hammond requires dinosaurs and theme parks or, at the very least, a circus, for him to want to see a film.

For Mr. Hammond, I recommend this film:

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spared no expense!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 229 of 441 FirstFirst ... 129 179 219 227 228 229 230 231 239 279 329 ... LastLast