Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 155 of 441 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 205 255 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that's right. I mean... there aren't many films that can disturb a bear, are there? The worst thing about A Serbian Film is that it tells a heart-breaking story that I still can't get out of my mind. Another worst thing about it is that, while for the Western audience it might look like just a piece of exotic fantasy, for us here it is better recognizable (the 90s... unforgettable time...) than we are willing to admit.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know if I could ever bring myself to watch A Serbian Film to be honest with you. The premise intrigues me, but the thought of watching

Spoiler:
    a newborn get raped

just puts me off. Idk.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it isn't like this... I mean, it's in film inside a film, black-and-white, very poor quality... makes it worse somehow, though

and, as I said, I do not recommend it. I wish I could forget it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    and, as I said, I do not recommend it. I wish I could forget it.
    Damn, I wish I could write something like that. (For good reasons, not for bad ones. )
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I Heart Huckabees: Being a fan of David O. Russell, and with a great cast, including at the time unknowns like Jonah Hill and Isla Fischer, I was very excited to finally watch this movie that I avoided to hearing many bad things, and I can see why those things were said, but that, however, did not mean a bad movie from my perspective. The movie is every bit as odd as it's subject, existentialism. The movie is kind of all over the place and all the actors play their roles as hammy as the plot (minus Whalberg whose straightness makes his character seem even loopier) which is all rather endearing. It's a movie about the 'big picture' of the universe and how questioning said picture can make people feel small and insignificant...in many ways the movies Existential Detectives (Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman) are a mixture of Sartre and Jung. If one can respect O. Russell's bravery in helming such an odd film (which in itself can turn off viewers) perhaps they can enjoy the movie for what it is, a fun, off-beat, tongue-in-cheek and at times moving, introspective and provocative. It's a movie not for everyone but it was for me; watch at your own risk.

Triangle: A wonderful ingenious film in both premise and execution; even the presentation of the opening credits finds away to be uncomfortable without going out of it's way to be SPOOOOOKY. The very beautiful Melissa George (from HBO's In Treatment) delivers a very effective performance and is essentially the camera's central subject for the entire film. In terms of plot let's just say it's really interestingly woven and presented and to really give a single detail away would hamper the effect of the movie: don't even watch the trailer, read a premise, nothing...just let the film take you on an amusement park ride for the mind. Can't wait to watch it again.

This Is The End: Funny as hell. On the surface it could be an entirely superficial movie, an off-the-wall silly comedy, but Seth Rogen, having probably learn a lot from filmmaking from friend Judd Apatow, understood weaving in honesty and humanity in the characters can bring the characters (in this case, the actors playing themselves) down a level we can all relate to: growing apart from friends, the affects of success and money, spending time with people you hate (and vice versa) to appease mutual friends...all situations normal, non-celebrities deal with, and how all the actors played themselves as exaggerated versions of themselves, which only adds to the genuine quality of the relationships; that the movie is funny as hell (the homemade Pinapple Express 2 was a highlight) makes it a perfect comedy film.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark: An expertly crafted horror film. It stars Katie Holmes (who is actually fully capable in the role) and Guy Pierce (always welcome). My only real beef with the movie is it occasionally strays down some generic paths (like explaining things, a detriment to most modern horror films) but it only goes far enough, seemingly, to allow us to become complacent with habit only to turn back onto it's own road. The atmosphere in the film is great and the way the creatures are handled is excellent; their aggression instead of 'waiting for a moment to strike' they make themselves far more frightening by not caring if an entire party is going on in the next room. While the characters may appear to be 'stupid' in say not leaving the house, the reasoning for 'stupid' choices makes perfect sense in the realm of the characters and we see these characters grow and change their 'stupid' outlook when they themselves change, their stupidity is more grounded in their personal problems and the movie is smart to make it's characters face themselves and become braver, stronger people as the film progresses.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Pacific Rim was AMAZING. It was nice to see a sci-fi/giant robot vs aliens movie that actually seemed a teeny bit smart. It was a such a unique concept, it was played out so well, and it was really fucking fun to watch. The only thing that did bother me?
    Spoiler:
    Seriously, if you have a sword on your giant robot, why wouldn't you use it sooner? it seemed like the most effective weapon BY FAR. Why wait for some stupid ion canon to load and then just blast them back a few feet when you can cut them in half? It was ridiculous

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I don't know if I could ever bring myself to watch A Serbian Film to be honest with you. The premise intrigues me, but the thought of watching

Spoiler:
    a newborn get raped

just puts me off. Idk.
    Prude...

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wolverine; 8/10

You knew what you were getting coming in, but I dug it

and....
    Spoiler:
    the scene after the credits means more X-Men. Oh yes.
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Country
    Country Flag

Requiem (by Hans-Christian Schmid). An excellent film, very sad, tactfully directed and incredibly well acted. And their choice of music... oh good Lord, it's so moving.

My only problem with it is how they made it seem like exorcism can be performed at will instead of psychiatric treatment; in fact, the church is very reluctant about it, and it will be performed only if all else fails (as it was the case with Anneliese Michel), and even then it's next to impossible to obtain the permission. By the way, another movie, the famour Exorcist - and especially the book - show accurately how difficult it is in reality.

But, this aside, what a heartbreaking story of ill luck! The one who dealt the crucial blow was
    Spoiler:
    the "good", "progressive" priest, the old one, when he told a deeply religious girl that God and devil were only "symbols". Saying so, he opposed the church to psychiatry, which was fatal.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm so glad you enjoyed it Jean

Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure enjoyed is the right word... but I sure loved it, and still remain under its impression

thank you so much for this

John F. Kennedy Dead Man is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Dead

that's right. I mean... there aren't many films that can disturb a bear, are there? The worst thing about A Serbian Film is that it tells a heart-breaking story that I still can't get out of my mind. Another worst thing about it is that, while for the Western audience it might look like just a piece of exotic fantasy, for us here it is better recognizable (the 90s... unforgettable time...) than we are willing to admit.

Firstly I descended from bears. Interesting finding you here.

What would you compare this movie to? I have seen different levels of disturbing.

John F. Kennedy Dead Man is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Dead

For me personally Anti-Christ was disturbing. Lars in general is dark but that movie just gave me the willies. It took me 4 times to get past the intro.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post

Firstly I descended from bears. Interesting finding you here.

What would you compare this movie to? I have seen different levels of disturbing.
    descended from bears!! I am out for a few days (health problems at the moment), but I hope I can be back by the end of the week, and we'll talk about it

(I'll also try to put into words what exactly is so disturbint about ASF.)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Requiem (by Hans-Christian Schmid). An excellent film, very sad, tactfully directed and incredibly well acted. And their choice of music... oh good Lord, it's so moving.

My only problem with it is how they made it seem like exorcism can be performed at will instead of psychiatric treatment; in fact, the church is very reluctant about it, and it will be performed only if all else fails (as it was the case with Anneliese Michel), and even then it's next to impossible to obtain the permission. By the way, another movie, the famour Exorcist - and especially the book - show accurately how difficult it is in reality.

But, this aside, what a heartbreaking story of ill luck! The one who dealt the crucial blow was
    Spoiler:
    the "good", "progressive" priest, the old one, when he told a deeply religious girl that God and devil were only "symbols". Saying so, he opposed the church to psychiatry, which was fatal.
    "The Exorcist" is to "possesion" horror that "LOTR" is to fantasy. IMHO

Spoiler:
    Both the book and the film.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Not only this (although this too, of course). It is just a very, very good book.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Elysium -

Another solid sci fi entry by Blomkamp. It suffers from pacing problems and some of it's themes are forced down your throat like a kid who doesn't want to eat his vegetables, but it's message(s) still stands. Blomkamp is a master of envisioning down trodden alternate versions of our own world and his attention to detail is remarkable. Matt Damon of course takes what could have been a one dimensional character and infuses just enough gravitas to keep us rooting for him til the end.

3 out of 4 stars.

Country
    Country Flag

Picnic at Hanging Rock

one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Impeccable. The cinematography is incredible. There are very few films that can really convey this feeling that there is more to the world than the four dimensions. The conversation between the girls as they go away is one of the strongest scenes in the cinema: I felt my own world dissolving in that delirious haze, and myself slipping away with them, all connections disintegrated. I also love it how no logical reasoning can explain the events: there's always going to be something, big or small, that wouldn't fit. It is not a horror movie, but it is scary on a different level. The human story (Sara) told there is as simple and cruel as the surrounding mystery is subtle and elusive. Unforgettable.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Jean.

Country
    Country Flag

Sybil (1976, by Daniel Petrie): absolutely fabulous. I don't think I'll watch the remake, although out of curiosity, I might.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

World War Z: I enjoyed the heck out of it. Loved the book and was glad I wasn't disappointed. They could do several movies all within the same universe and time period, with different characters involving different aspects of the war. Sure it was special effects heavy and it was a blockbuster but it was much better than most blockbusters. It felt like a story in the book which could have been told, we are merely see it as it happens. I hope the next installment doesn't have Brad Pitt and has totally different characters. Seeing as this installment was more above the ground, go around the world sort of movie, it's still a story of on man's experience which is exactly what the book was; I'd like to see an installment where it is about regular civilians. Really the possibilities with World War Z as a franchise is endless...we could can a bigger blockbuster or a smaller, closer to home movie or an extremely scientific movie and I think it could all work extremely well. Looking forward to the next in the series. I don't see why we don't get more blockbusters like this and Marc Forster has definitely gotten a better grip on directing action since that shitfest that was a bond film.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

WWZ was serviceable as an action movie, I suppose. As a zombie film though the PG-13 rating hurt it, a lot.

Country
    Country Flag

Girl, Interrupted. - Quite watchable; relying on the acting rather than directing or script, let alone cinematography. Winona Ryder wasn't very convincing, but Goldberg, Redgrave and all the patients were awesome, and Jolie incredible.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

WWZ was serviceable as an action movie, I suppose. As a zombie film though the PG-13 rating hurt it, a lot.
    Considering the zombies didn't eat people, they merely bit to infect and move on, I don't see how more gore would have made it a better zombie movie. The book wasn't about blood and guts either, so in that respect it was faithful to Brook's novel.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Considering the zombies didn't eat people, they merely bit to infect and move on, I don't see how more gore would have made it a better zombie movie. The book wasn't about blood and guts either, so in that respect it was faithful to Brook's novel.
    Too bad that's the only way it was faithful to the book. Nothing else came through. They only kept the name for brand recognition.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 155 of 441 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 205 255 ... LastLast