Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite moments in DT7

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Not only allowed, but encouraged!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Mine too, especially after the shellacking he took in Salem's Lot (favorite scene in that one) He sooooooo needed the redemption. I mean to think he gets a "Resumption and has to go through that particular nightmare over and over again!!!!
    I not so sure Callahan does resume, at least not in the sense Roland does although his second meeting with Vampires is a resumption of sorts.

I keep reading references to Roland's return as 'resetting' as if the whole world resets when he goes through the door. I don't think that's the case. I think the only person who resets is Roland, as in, he is sent back in time and his memories are reset to that time. And even he doesn't reset completely considering what he finds with him the next time round.

Anyhow, I've gone off-topic... better think of a fave moment before I reap it from the resident spankslingers....

Ok, Sheemie's dream. It's been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but I have to agree that whole scene was an emotional goose-pimple moment. Reading about Brautigan's story was interesting too. Not quite as buzzing to me as Callahan's back story from the Wolves of the Calla, but way up there.

I have other favorite moments, which I've mentioned already, but I'm sure we're allowed more than one...
    I was sort of playing on the words but. Resume reset w/e he has to keep suffering that ordeal over and over again. IMHO

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think that's the case. I think the only person who resets is Roland, as in, he is sent back in time and his memories are reset to that time. And even he doesn't reset completely considering what he finds with him the next time round.
    So do you think he has his fingers back Brain?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Traveler DettaDelgado is on a distinguished road DettaDelgado's Avatar

Every time Roland yells "KILL THEM ALL!"

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So do you think he has his fingers back Brain?
    Yes. I think he is as he was (!? that sounds weird) in that time period. As if he entered the body of his past self, if that makes sense (although I'm not sure that's literally right.) It'd be kind of like what happens with twinners in the talisman, where they possess their twinners body, but their own physical body still vanishes from where it was... if that makes sense.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not so sure Callahan does resume
    I am absolutely sure he doesn't.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I'm not so sure Callahan does resume
    I am absolutely sure he doesn't.
    Of course he does, they all do Balthazar, Eddie, Jake, Susannah etc. It's a loop. Remember, in the beginning of Gunslinger Roland does'nt recall 18 previous loop's. Time does'nt strictly apply throughout the story. Jake dies but lives again etc.

All the various characters and situations in the story represent tests or choices to Roland and how he responds (in simplistic terms) determines his overall results/character in the quest, no? It's not so much as wether he serves the random (chaos) or the purpose (Order), he is firmly positioned with the purpose but, what goes into determining that purpose or the choices he makes to achieve that purpose.

Therefore, the entire scenario, characters, situations places etc. must be repeated for each loop/quest.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Therefore, the entire scenario, characters, situations places etc. must be repeated for each loop/quest.
    For Roland yes, in that he goes back in time and experiences those events again (although he is unaware it is again.)

That doesn't mean the others are looping too though. Only that he loops, and sees them again. That's not quite the same thing.

I may be wrong. There are indications of deja-vu, etc experienced by others of the ka-tet, but I'm not sure this is the cause.

I think they loop after a fashion, in the way Callahan did in facing a similar occurrence with the type 1 vampires again. (I.e. a loop in his own life time. Ka being a wheel need not involve dying.) And I think the ka-tet have experienced some events before (i.e. take their afinity with horse riding for example) but I think that might be a form of reincarnation, what with the suggestion that Eddie and Cuthbert may well be one and the same.

I think the Tower loop though is just Roland's experience. I may be wrong, but I don't see any definite evidence otherwise since he is the only one who goes through the door at the top of the Tower.

Whoops off topic again. But perhaps not... I found those little indications concerning the identity of the ka-tet, and their links with others in the past was an interesting part of the story. (Although much of that stuff was in the other books rather than this one specifically, but there you go...)

Traveler Indigo_Seven is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default I'm torn

between Jake's death (and the irony of Roland's decision just prior to it) and Eddie's death. Despite all the ka-shume talk before, I never really knew he was going to kill off the tet 'till Eddie died. And even dying, Eddie was still a man.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Wow, so many to choose from--such a LONG volume....

But I guess I'd have to say my absolute favorite part is the ending. Don't ask me why, I don't know. But there's just something about it....

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Thats a wonderful part J and Y, no need to wonder about why its one of your favorites. Its one of my favorite parts also.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite part in the book was Sheemies Dream. There are so many quotes u have to appreciate. Sometimes at work when a customer orders something tough to make i say "why must u hurt me when i love you so" lame haha

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

For Roland yes, in that he goes back in time and experiences those events again (although he is unaware it is again.)

That doesn't mean the others are looping too though. Only that he loops, and sees them again. That's not quite the same thing.

I may be wrong. There are indications of deja-vu, etc experienced by others of the ka-tet, but I'm not sure this is the cause.

I think they loop after a fashion, in the way Callahan did in facing a similar occurrence with the type 1 vampires again. (I.e. a loop in his own life time. Ka being a wheel need not involve dying.) And I think the ka-tet have experienced some events before (i.e. take their afinity with horse riding for example) but I think that might be a form of reincarnation, what with the suggestion that Eddie and Cuthbert may well be one and the same.

I think the Tower loop though is just Roland's experience. I may be wrong, but I don't see any definite evidence otherwise since he is the only one who goes through the door at the top of the Tower.

Whoops off topic again. But perhaps not... I found those little indications concerning the identity of the ka-tet, and their links with others in the past was an interesting part of the story. (Although much of that stuff was in the other books rather than this one specifically, but there you go...)
    You make some valid points. What I meant was that Roland being returned to the desert with the Horn (in reward for growth of character evidenced in the nineteenth loop is the only one with free choice in his actions (although probably RF and/or CK have somewhat similar free choice to try to derail him especially when he starts flying past the dilemmas they put in front of him) Any free choice the others obtain in their actions would have to come as a result of interactions with Roland.

Another favorite part is Jake being dropped under the mountain by Roland after Roland takes pity on him at the way station. Then Roland goes back in the DOTTto prevent Jake's killing which thereby virtually eliminates the meeting at the Waystation so that he can later draw him to Mid World from the Hungry House Demon.......Gotta love thos paradoxes!!!!!

Traveler bandito0 is on a distinguished road bandito0's Avatar

After the battle at Blue Heaven, the description of the tet before Eddie's death.

"And I'll have you see them very well..."

Fantastic.

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh Bandit, I agree. I read that whole paragraph like 3 times because I knew something "bad" was gonna happen on the next page and I was trying to deny it!!!
    I needed that last description/memory of the tet....

Gunslinger Apprentice Hbgunslinger is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah when I read that "And I'll have you see them very well..." I actually stopped for a minute and flipped to the picture of them by Suze's Cruizin bike and looked at it for a good prob 5 min anyways then went and started reading again.

This thread is a good one thank All Hail for asking this.
    However I cannot narrow down my absolute favorite part I will name my the parts I like the most.
    Callahans Last stand is amazing and awful at the same time I had really started to start liking hs character and was heartbroke when the end came. But he went down the best way someone could hope to go in his position. Also when he calls out to Roland I am getting serious goosebumps just thinking of it now.
    The shared dream of the Beam, every time I read that it makes me want to cry.
    And When Roland reaches the Tower and calls out the names of the fallen. very strong part.

Traveler Bobby Garfield is on a distinguished road

-Eddie's last words to the tet. This moment showed how much Eddie had grown as a person gradually through his time in Mid-World, and gave him a realness that the other characters lacked somewhat. It also made me cry! (It also sort of ticked me off later when Roland forgot about Eddie when he referred to Jake as his "son". What about your other son, dummy?)

-Roland, Susannah and Oy's journey through the Badlands and Empathica. It brought back memories of "turnpikin'" along the Path of the Beam. I also learned some important wilderness survival skills

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, Eddie called Roland father but Roland didn't call him "son". Because Roland felt they were quite equal... and he felt Eddie was much more his brother than his son (that's how I feel and think). He was the din so it's understandable that all the members of the ka-tet could call him father but it doesn't need to work the other way as well.
    To sum up Roland didn't think of him as his son because Eddie was much more his brother (it wasn't a sign of the lack of love but the sign of the strong respect).

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Yes, Eddie called Roland father but Roland didn't call him "son". Because Roland felt they were quite equal... and he felt Eddie was much more his brother than his son (that's how I feel and think).
    so do I

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler wiccangdess13 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

When Jake called Roland father and then when Roland decided he would sacrifice himself and his quest to save Jake while trying to save King. Those to me show how much Roland has grown and changed in his quest and what a good man he was.

Traveler wiccangdess13 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Letti about Roland and Eddie being more like brothers. Eddie reminds Roland of Cuthbert, his closest friend and there is love but its also respect.

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm torn between two parts
    1. from when Dandelo starts his stand-up routine 'til Susanna figures it out in the bathroom while hearing Roland choke outside. It was written so well I got completely lost in the tale.
    2. When Roland realized what he saw through the "Roland." door, and that he was about to start over again. Screaming, trying to hold back - but being pushed forward nonetheless.
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    2. When Roland realized what he saw through the "Roland." door, and that he was about to start over again. Screaming, trying to hold back - but being pushed forward nonetheless.
    Wow, that's a hard-core moment to have as one of your favorites! I am impressed.

The White Guy Chap is on a distinguished road Chap's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    Wow, that's a hard-core moment to have as one of your favorites! I am impressed.
    hehehe, well the reason I like it isn't because of Rolands pain (emotional and physical) or anything, it was just really well written and it "sucked me in" in a way similar to Roland being sucked into the door
    Some are born to sweet delight,

some are born to the endless night.

Traveler yesterday's_eyes is on a distinguished road yesterday's_eyes's Avatar

Just finished the book and I have to say that it is definitely my favorite in the series.

I loved Jake and Callahan in the Dixie Pig. Basically all of it up to when Jake finally reaches the door and Susannah pulls him through. Love it. Also love when Roland and Susannah encounter Dandelo. I like how something just feels off the entire time they are there. It was awesome when Susannah realized what was going on and went to help Roland.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast