Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower Q&A - Ask a question, get an answer! *spoilers*

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I think he's a character Peter Straub created in one of his books.

But in the Dark Tower, although he never makes a physical appearance, he leaves graffiti all over the place, in unlikely areas like in the tunnels beneath the Dixie Pigg and in various alternate versions of NYC.....so Bango Skank gets around.

I personally love it when i see Bango Skank written places around where I live. It makes me smile knowing there are other Dark Tower fans around.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent has a reputation beyond repute Bev Vincent's Avatar

He's no more a character in Straub's story "The Buffalo Hunter" than he is in the Dark Tower books. We know him only by the scribbles he left in his wake.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah neat, I didn't know that. I was under the impression he was an actual character in it, having not read the story.

How cool though. I like the fact that Bango Skank is such an enigma.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Along the Path of the Beam UnderTheKillingMoon is on a distinguished road UnderTheKillingMoon's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    He's no more a character in Straub's story "The Buffalo Hunter" than he is in the Dark Tower books. We know him only by the scribbles he left in his wake.
    thankee-sai. i kept thinking I was going crazy...kinda like Jake and Roland? "I read about him in detail! no you didn't, just his graffitti! In Detail! He doesn't Exist! He Does! ect..."

consider me clarified

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

What an interesting question. I have never thought about it... The "sound of clashing worlds" option sounds amazing and the way I see it should be right but how the blue hell could clashing worlds give such a sweet and evil sound?
    The kammen seems to be alive so much. Maybe the worlds themselves are alive and they have some kind of spirit... I need some time to think about it.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think maybe the kammen is quite literally the voice of Gan.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

...or perhaps the birth of new worlds???
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it's really a very good question (my decision to adapt razz is getting firmer and firmer...), and I think (the thought is underbaked, though, say sorry in advance) that those chimes are in a way related to that old tired "does a falling tree..." problem. I think the phenomenon of the kammen appears only when a human being, or any other being endowed with soul, goes todash, so those bells ring only for him; it would be more or less apparent that they, then, metaphorically express both man's longing to go through worlds, and the repulsiveness of the todash darkness (the sweetness of the bells that grows unbearable too soon), but there is much more to it, which might take a lot of further thinking. I mean, if it is a sound, it is a sound your soul makes when it experiences todash, not a sound inherent to todash itself.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

lovely idea Jean.

Of course I'd add a choice D.) all of the above

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    ...or perhaps the birth of new worlds???
    Oh, I love this idea? But why would stepping through a door create a new world? Or do you mean worlds are dying and growing all the time?

This one is even more interesting.
    But why would Gan's voice be so deadly disturbing? I can't imagine Gan's voice like that.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is probably going to sound silly, but on reading the books, I got the impression the kammen were like an inter-dimensional dialing tone. I.e. you know how making a phone call will send out dialing tones which connect to a specific other phone depending on what tones are made?

I thought this mainly as they always happened just as people were going todash, just as they were coming and going between worlds.

Spoiler:
    When the box containing black 13 was opened in front of the door, those chimes were heard again, followed by the door opening in a specific time and place.

This made sense considering the similarity between the sound of the kammen and the warbling of the thinny. I.e. the thinny is in a state of chaos, so the sounds are just warbling all over the place, hence people getting ripped to pieces when they enter it. I.e. part of their body is in one where and when, another part somewhere else, then as the thinny fluctuates, affectively changing dimensional addresses for a fraction of a second, bits are torn off. Like sticking your hand in a mincer, if that makes sense.

I have my doubts that was King's intention though, and I'm probably over-thinking it.

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know the word "over-thinking", Brainslinger. *hug*

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    But why would Gan's voice be so deadly disturbing? I can't imagine Gan's voice like that.
    Perhaps because something that mind-blowing is beyond human conception and would sound both beautiful and terrible at the same time. It's actually a fairly common concept in mythology that the godhead is both beautiful and terrible to behold all at once. I like the idea Brice.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I tend to associate Gan with the Tower and therefore order, so I'm not sure why the kammen, which are associated with todash would be his voice.

I might be associating todash to much with the prim, i.e. the prim is chaotic, but todash is empty (apart from the monsters.) Again, the Tower (and Gan) as the maker creates substance, so the idea still applies, the kammen, the voice of the void probably isn't his voice.

Then again if we take into account that all things follow the beam/ka/Gan, in which case maybe he (is Gan a he?) indirectly orchestrated the action of Black 13 sending them todash....

Hmmm. Not convinced, but it's all food for fault.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

*munch munch*

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    isn't that what the metatron is for? to serve as the holy scribe because man cannot bear the actual sound of god's voice or sight of holy word? so it would make sense that the sound of gan's voice would be disturbing on a visceral level. and, in some ways, that the manni could handle it better.

Traveler keylimecody is on a distinguished road keylimecody's Avatar

Default gotta question. (BEWARE! Spoilers.)

hi, i'm new here. JUST VERY EXTREMELY LIKE TWO DAYS AGO finished the final book in The Dark Tower. =D

And I read the Coda, which I now very much rue the fact that I did. I have a few questions pertaining to it.

Okay, first off, I understand Roland got
    Spoiler:
    transported back through time to the beginning of Book 1, in the Mohaine Desert. Okay, so this means ALL time has been shifted backwards, for the sake of Roland's salvation? Just how important is he?

And what significance does the
    Spoiler:
    Horn of Eld hold? He now has it, is the Tower trying to tell him something?

Thankya. ;D

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site, keylimecody (nice screen name, BTW).

There are a ton of threads here that will probably answer all your questions - feel free to jump in!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Along the Path of the Beam UnderTheKillingMoon is on a distinguished road UnderTheKillingMoon's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the first question, imo, is VERY important, as he "saves" all eternity. I think the horn is a sign of changing the future, as when you add a new variable, the outcome of the problem changes. i thought of it like the Butterfly Effect, sort of

Traveler keylimecody is on a distinguished road keylimecody's Avatar

Yeah, sorry. I figured I may have put this in the wrong section. And thank you for the compliment.

I get the fact that he's the one destined to save all worlds, but turning back time for him merely to prove a point? So he can be self righteous and not get everyone he affiliates hisself with killed?

I understand what you're saying about the Horn of Eld. Different objects and how they were obtained, can lead to a different way to carry out things.

The fact that he has it shows he ALREADY has done something different.

Thanks for the input! =)

Country
    Country Flag

what makes it interesting is how he forgot he actually breached the tower only moments after being put back in the Mohave desert. i can't stop wondering what having the horn might change...

Country
    Country Flag

keylimecody, great to see you here
    We have been hooked on the same questions for long so you can read about them (as Deghain has written it) as much as you would like to.

Country
    Country Flag

Right now I don't think that I have any good explanation but I think Gan has no voice.
    Voices and sounds are too human-like. For me at least.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

that's interesting letti. do you think god (if you believe in him/her - or let's say a higher power if you prefer that terminology) has a voice?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Kamen is a series of islands.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast