Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2020 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Is anyone one else freaking out that there's significantly less time between nominations and the show this year? And less time to fit in everything I need to see!
    Nope. I've seen almost everything except 1917.

Best Actress is fairly strong this year. There aren't many slots open as at least 3 are locks. I would love for Lupita Nyong’o to get a nomination for Us. She did double duty and I thought she was just fantastic. Nyong’o was also a breath of fresh air in the under the radar zombie flick Little Monsters. Really strong year for her.

My Best Actress predictions:

Renee Zellweger - Judy
    Scarlett Johansson - Marriage Story
    Charlize Theron - Bombshell
    Saoirse Ronan - Little Women
    Awkwafina - The Farewell
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Is anyone one else freaking out that there's significantly less time between nominations and the show this year? And less time to fit in everything I need to see!
    Yes. This is around the time me and my brothers do our Oscar Nomination Gauntlet where we watch like 3 movies in one day. We haven't been able to properly plan it because of the no-nominations yet, although we should probably just use the Golden Globes as a barometer.

Also I saw 1917 last night and it's freaking bad ass.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Nope. I've seen almost everything except 1917.
    Well you're just too cool for school then, aren't you.

I would love for Lupita Nyong’o to get a nomination for Us. She did double duty and I thought she was just fantastic. Nyong’o was also a breath of fresh air in the under the radar zombie flick Little Monsters. Really strong year for her.
    Remember when, years ago before 12 Years a Slave, you said that you didn't see her having much of a career besides 12 Years?

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Yes. This is around the time me and my brothers do our Oscar Nomination Gauntlet where we watch like 3 movies in one day. We haven't been able to properly plan it because of the no-nominations yet, although we should probably just use the Golden Globes as a barometer.

Also I saw 1917 last night and it's freaking bad ass.
    I love Oscar marathoning. I'm waiting for AMC to announce the Best Picture Showcase schedule after noms on Monday. Hopefully my local AMC is participating again.

And 1917 is sure picking up some steam.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Remember when, years ago before 12 Years a Slave, you said that you didn't see her having much of a career besides 12 Years?
    I actually don't remember saying that. I don't doubt I said it, but I would love to see that conversation.

Best Supporting Actor Predictions:

Brad Pitt - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Al Pacino - The Irishman
    Joe Pesci - The Irishman
    Tom Hanks - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse

Dafoe isn't showing up on a lot of lists, but he's been a favorite among the Academy in recent years nabbing nominations for The Florida Project and At Eternity's Gate. I haven't seen either one of those, but I find it near impossible that his performance in those two films is better than The Lighthouse. The only unfortunate part is the fact that Pattinson can't get nominated too. He's every bit Dafoe's equal in The Lighthouse.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't believe I found it.

"As for Lupita, I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but Lupita's career peaked last night and it will be downhill from here. I hope she proves me wrong, but I don't make the rules. Hollywood is not exactly kind to young, African American women. I can't wait to see what kind of path she chooses in the wake of hear Best Supporting Actress award."

From the 2014 Oscars thread.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually don't remember saying that. I don't doubt I said it, but I would love to see that conversation.

Best Supporting Actor Predictions:

Brad Pitt - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Al Pacino - The Irishman
    Joe Pesci - The Irishman
    Tom Hanks - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse

Dafoe isn't showing up on a lot of lists, but he's been a favorite among the Academy in recent years nabbing nominations for The Florida Project and At Eternity's Gate. I haven't seen either one of those, but I find it near impossible that his performance in those two films is better than The Lighthouse. The only unfortunate part is the fact that Pattinson can't get nominated too. He's every bit Dafoe's equal in The Lighthouse.
    Pacino was the worst part of (actors) Irishman. He doesn’t deserve to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought he was the best part of the film! That's what makes the world go round, I guess!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

"As for Lupita, I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but Lupita's career peaked last night and it will be downhill from here. I hope she proves me wrong, but I don't make the rules. Hollywood is not exactly kind to young, African American women. I can't wait to see what kind of path she chooses in the wake of hear Best Supporting Actress award."

Nice find, Ricky! I I would argue that her career has been downhill since winning the Oscar! Hard to top that.

I will say that she has certainly chosen the right roles.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd love to see Scarlett Johansson get nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category as well for Jojo Rabbit. I think she has a real possibility of that happening too. My guess is that she misses out. I think Pugh grabs the spot, which makes me happy because I'm a really big fan. I would prefer a nomination for her amazing performance in Midsommar, but this will have to do.

Best Supporting Actress Predictions

Laura Dern - Marriage Story
    Margot Robbie - Bombshell
    Jennifer Lopez - Hustlers
    Annette Benning - The Report
    Florence Pugh - Little Women

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd love to see Scarlett Johansson get nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category as well for Jojo Rabbit. I think she has a real possibility of that happening too. My guess is that she misses out. I think Pugh grabs the spot, which makes me happy because I'm a really big fan. I would prefer a nomination for her amazing performance in Midsommar, but this will have to do.

I think she is better than Lopez. I don’t think she deserves a spot

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice find, Ricky! I I would argue that her career has been downhill since winning the Oscar! Hard to top that.

While she's a bigger name and no doubt made so much more money, she went from a fantastic performance in a best picture winner to voicing a CGI character with assholes for eyes. US was the first thing I've seen her in since 12 Years a Slave where I remembered she's a damn good actress.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Yeah, but you didn't like Jojo, so I wouldn't think you would say she's deserving.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

While she's a bigger name and no doubt made so much more money, she went from a fantastic performance in a best picture winner to voicing a CGI character with assholes for eyes. US was the first thing I've seen her in since 12 Years a Slave where I remembered she's a damn good actress.
    She had small roles in Non-Stop and Black Panther, but it seems like she was focusing on voice over work, lending her voice to characters in Star Wars and Jungle Book.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Yeah, but you didn't like Jojo, so I wouldn't think you would say she's deserving.
    Scarlet is a tremendous actor. She was good in that despite my displeasure with the movie.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Five minutes till the announcement begins:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...=1#post1179636

Country
    Country Flag

Goddammit, The Farewell completely shut out. No Zhao Shuzhen, no Awkwafina, no original screenplay. What bullcrap

Country
    Country Flag

I would've also loved to see JLo and Song Kang-ho get recognition, but alas... Very happy for Antonio Banderas, that movie made me cry at the end, beautiful performance, but no way he wins.

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the list:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...g-live-1267880
    The nominations for the 92nd Academy Awards were unveiled Monday morning.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced nominees in 24 categories. John Cho and Issa Rae were on hand to announce the nominations, with nine films up for best picture.

For the second year in a row, the Oscars will go hostless. ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke made the announcement last week when speaking at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour in Pasadena. "Let me confirm it now, together with the Academy, that there will be no traditional host this year," Burke said, stressing the ceremony would repeat what worked last year.

The 92nd Academy Awards will be held Sunday, Feb. 9, airing on ABC as part of the network's long-term agreement with the Academy.

Best Picture
    1917 (Universal)
    Ford v Ferrari (Fox)
    The Irishman (Netflix)
    Jojo Rabbit (Fox Searchlight)
    Joker (Warner Bros.)
    Little Women (Sony)
    Marriage Story (Netflix)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Sony)
    Parasite (Neon)

Actor in a Leading Role
    Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory)
    Leonardo DiCaprio (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)
    Adam Driver (Marriage Story)
    Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
    Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes)

Actress in a Leading Role
    Cynthia Erivo (Harriet)
    Scarlett Johansson (Marriage Story)
    Saoirse Ronan (Little Women)
    Charlize Theron (Bombshell)
    Renée Zellweger (Judy)

Actress in a Supporting Role
    Kathy Bates (Richard Jewell)
    Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
    Scarlett Johansson (Jojo Rabbit)
    Florence Pugh (Little Women)
    Margot Robbie (Bombshell)

Actor in a Supporting Role
    Tom Hanks (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood)
    Anthony Hopkins (The Two Popes)
    Al Pacino (The Irishman)
    Joe Pesci (The Irishman)
    Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)

Directing
    Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)
    Sam Mendes (1917)
    Todd Phillips (Joker)
    Martin Scorsese (The Irishman)
    Quentin Tarantino (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood)

Adapted Screenplay
    The Irishman (Steven Zaillian)
    Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi)
    Joker (Todd Phillips & Scott Silver)
    Little Women (Greta Gerwig)
    The Two Popes (Anthony McCarten)

Original Screenplay
    1917 (Sam Mendes & Krysty Wilson-Cairns)
    Knives Out (Rian Johnson)
    Marriage Story (Noah Baumbach)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino)
    Parasite (Bong Joon Ho & Jin Won Han)

International Feature Film
    Corpus Christi (Poland)
    Honeyland (North Macedonia)
    Les Miserables (France)
    Pain and Glory (Spain)
    Parasite (South Korea)

Production Design
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Parasite

Film Editing
    Ford v Ferrari (Andrew Buckland & Michael McCusker)
    The Irishman (Thelma Schoonmaker)
    Jojo Rabbit (Tom Eagles)
    Joker (Jeff Groth)
    Parasite (Jinmo Yang)

Cinematography
    1917 (Roger Deakins)
    The Irishman (Rodrigo Prieto)
    Joker (Lawrence Sher)
    The Lighthouse (Jarin Blaschke)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Robert Richardson)

Visual Effects
    Avengers: Endgame
    The Irishman
    The Lion King
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Costume Design
    Jojo Rabbit
    The Irishman
    Joker
    Little Women

Sound Mixing
    Ad Astra
    Ford v Ferrari
    Joker

Sound Editing
    Ford v Ferrari
    Joker
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Original Score
    1917 (Thomas Newman)
    Joker (Hildur Guðnadóttir)
    Little Women (Alexandre Desplat)
    Marriage Story (Randy Newman)
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (John Williams)

Documentary Feature
    American Factory (Netflix)
    The Cave (National Geographic)
    The Edge of Democracy (Netflix)
    For Sama (PBS)
    Honeyland (Neon)

Documentary Short Subject
    In the Absence
    Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl)
    Life Overtakes Me
    St. Louis Superman
    Walk Run Cha-Cha

Makeup and Hairstyling
    Bombshell
    Joker
    Judy
    Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Animated Feature Film
    How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Dreamworks)
    I Lost My Body (Netflix)
    Klaus (Netflix)
    Missing Link (United Artists Releasing)
    Toy Story 4 (Pixar)

Animated Short Film
    Dcera (Daughter)
    Hair Love
    Kitbull
    Memorable
    Sister

Live-Action Short Film
    Brotherhood
    Nefta Football Club
    The Neighbors’ Window
    Saria
    A Sister

Original Song
    "I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away" (Toy Story 4) — Randy Newman
    "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" (Rocketman) — Elton John & Bernie Taupin
    "I'm Standing With You" (Breakthrough) — Diane Warren
    "Into the Unknown" (Frozen 2) — Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez
    "Stand Up" (Harriet) — Joshuah Brian Campbell & Cynthia Erivo

Country
    Country Flag

Dammm. SO I count 11 for Joker???
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Parasite, 1917, or Hollywood; the winner will come out of those 3...

Country
    Country Flag

Parasite, 1917, or Hollywood; the winner will come out of those 3...
    Or Joker... leading the pack with 11 noms. I would not discount that film.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's possible, but the academy does not look favorably on awarding the highest prize to a CBM. Phoenix might win for BA, Philips might win for BD, but if I was a betting man my money would not be on Joker winning BP.

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

It's possible, but the academy does not look favorably on awarding the highest prize to a CBM. Phoenix might win for BA, Philips might win for BD, but if I was a betting man my money would not be on Joker winning BP.
    I'm with you here. I honestly don't think it matters how good Joker is. I think 1917 is probably the safe bet. Because Oscar's voting is "ranked choice" I feel like 1917 has enough broad appeal to land itself in at least everyone #2 or #3 spot, which ultimately would give it the Oscar.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast