Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1435

Thread: The Great Movie Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    No need to have a tournament, just put Casablanca vs Citizen Kane in the final already lol.
    I was about to post the same thing. LOL!
    Remember, it’s also about ranking all of the movies, and the journey! Plus, it’s never a guarantee.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    No need to have a tournament, just put Casablanca vs Citizen Kane in the final already lol.
    I was about to post the same thing. LOL!
    Remember, it’s also about ranking all of the movies, and the journey! Plus, it’s never a guarantee.
    Personally I will take The Maltese Falcon, Rope, and Treasure of Sierra Madre over Citizen Kane, sacrilegious as that may sound. Maybe even It's a Wonderful Life if I am in a sentimental mood. I love Kane, but if I never see it again I'd be fine. To think that I would never see Maltese Falcon again though, I shudder at the thought.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rope is amazing, agreed.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wonderful job as always, Mae!

I'm happy to see a Lumet film win.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, I never got around to changing my signature!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Also, I never got around to changing my signature!
    Thank you! I voted against it but in the end I think the right movie won. BTW I have signatures turned off anyways

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Citizen Kane for the first time a couple of months ago. I honestly can't understand what all the fuss is about. Can't say I was the least bit interested in what his final words meant, and the "reveal" was a let down to me.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    I saw Citizen Kane for the first time a couple of months ago. I honestly can't understand what all the fuss is about. Can't say I was the least bit interested in what his final words meant, and the "reveal" was a let down to me.
    I don’t want to sound pretentious, but, for me, movies aren’t always just down to story and plot. What happens is often not as important as how it happens and how it’s shown. It’s a very beautifully shot and edited movie.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The beauty of Citizen Kane to me is not the story but in the filmmaking. I urge you to watch it again and take in all the cinematography, the camera angles, depth of field, lighting... It's hard to put another film at that level for me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Spoiler

That might be the only recording of that particular man and that band playing this song which is called "In a Mizz" I wish a complete version of it survived somewhere (see if you can spot the pterodactyls).

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    The beauty of Citizen Kane to me is not the story but in the filmmaking. I urge you to watch it again and take in all the cinematography, the camera angles, depth of field, lighting... It's hard to put another film at that level for me.

I'm sorry, but at the end of the day, good acting, camerawork, cinematography, special effects, soundtrack, etc pale in importance to the story. If you can't get into the story, most of the rest won't matter. I guess in today's cinema special effects do have a bigger impact then they should.
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

I'm sorry, but at the end of the day, good acting, camerawork, cinematography, special effects, soundtrack, etc pale in importance to the story. If you can't get into the story, most of the rest won't matter. I guess in today's cinema special effects do have a bigger impact then they should.

For the record there was a one week time frame where I watched 3 movies held in very high esteem by the critics, that after watching I just didn't get what all the hoopla was about.

1) Citizen Kane
    2) 2001: a Space Odyssey
    3) Lawrence of Arabia

(note, I actually liked 2010 a lot better then 2001)
    Wanted:

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's probably not much of a stretch to say that without Citizen Kane many of the films we enjoy would never have existed, I mean it totally changed the landscape of the art form itself. It was revolutionary in a way that went beyond just telling a story.

Here's a good article on ScreenRant that details it better than I ever could

Why Citizen Kane Is Called The Greatest Movie Ever Made

Country
    Country Flag

Hi everybody! I'll be opening up the nominations thread for the 1940s on 7/11, so in just about a month! Plenty of time to make your lists, maybe watch some of those '40s classics you always meant to, and perhaps check out the lists I posted earlier in the thread to give you some ideas. We'll be aiming to start voting on August 1

Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone! Welcome to July! I hope our American membership has a nice Fourth of July weekend! Just a reminder that our event resumes on the 11th as we start the nomination process for the 1940s! Get those lists ready

Country
    Country Flag

Just another quick reminder that the nominations get underway Monday morning!

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, everyone, for another great nomination process! I think we came up yet again with an incredibly diverse and representative list for the 1940s! Round 1 will kick off on Monday, August 1! Please use the following two weeks to maybe catch up with some of the nominees! Lots of them are freely available on YouTube, as well as many streaming services.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

ready to roll!

Country
    Country Flag

First post updated with the schedule.

Country
    Country Flag

One week to go until voting beings!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Me patiently waiting for Monday:

Country
    Country Flag

Haha I’m very excited to get going too! The classics are some of my all-time favorite movies.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I wonder what 3rd place will be...

Country
    Country Flag

Round 2 is now underway, and thank you to everyone for your great participation in Round 1! We had upwards of 15-17 votes in some polls, if not more. Hope we can keep this up!

Standings after the first round:

Moving on:

Eliminated:

Interestingly, it was only It's a Wonderful Life that received 100%. And Hitchcock with four movies in the Top 10 (which Citizen Kane did not make).

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm shocked but also not shocked about Citizen Kane. Members here have always seemed to not care for it as much.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast