Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 545 of 713 FirstFirst ... 45 445 495 535 543 544 545 546 547 555 595 645 ... LastLast
Results 13,601 to 13,625 of 17825

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That's the one, Fernando! I went in expecting a simple pulp read, and what I got was one of the damn best science fiction adventures I'd read in a long while. Must get round to reading the 2nd book, Hive Monkey, soon.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I will add it to my list!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great book. Just wish the PS limited was more affordable.

sk

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Isn't that the one with the monkey or some shit??
    Yes! And so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    That's the one, Fernando! I went in expecting a simple pulp read, and what I got was one of the damn best science fiction adventures I'd read in a long while. Must get round to reading the 2nd book, Hive Monkey, soon.
    I hopped online and ordered Hive Monkey before I was halfway through this one so I could have it in my hands not long after finishing the first book.
    I love discovering a great book that's part of a series.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I will add it to my list!
    Yes! Do it!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I hopped online and ordered Hive Monkey...
    Hmm...I wonder where you ordered it from?

A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger41 View Post
    The Count of Monte Cristo!
    One of the best novels ever. Hopefully the Buss translation.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I hopped online and ordered Hive Monkey...
    Hmm...I wonder where you ordered it from?

Abebooks, Ricky! It's a great site. You should check it out.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Almost finished reading Gone Girl. Great book. Love how it gives both Nick and Amy's perspectives.

Been enjoying A Storm of Swords. I'll read a bit more once I'm done with GG. Was thinking of going back to Wuthering Heights and trying to finish that, but it's a bit slow going when it doesn't focus on the Heathcliff/Catherine relationship. Either Hive Monkey or Drive's next.

- Melike

Is Gone Girl actually good? I've been curious, but my friend who recommended it also loves the Twilight Series. So I didn't want to take any advice from her.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't speak for the book as I have yet to read it, but the film is marvelous.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't speak for the movie as I have yet to watch it, but the book is very very good.

Well, there we go. I think I'll check it out soon.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

All three of her books are very good.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, there we go. I think I'll check it out soon.
    After Saga tho.

And Unwritten.

For what it's worth, I read a small portion of Saga last night before I passed out.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Gone Girl is great. Begins as a mystery novel and ends up being so much more. Is it as fucking awesome as Ack-Ack Macaque? Not quite, but it's still great.

- Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Gone Girl the book, but I think it had been hyped up so much by the time I read it that it didn't have as big of an impact on me as far as the "wow" factor. The movie was very good as well. Really, really good adaptation. It only makes me wish that I could've gone into the movie "blind" without having read the book because I think it would've been that much more spectacular.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

I've tried to read Cryptonomicon about three times and always end up exhausting myself about fifty pages in.
    In Digitized Remorse

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I havent read that one, Fall. I have read the Baroque Cycle, and enjoyed it a lot.
    Stephenson's writing is thick with words...it can either be overwhelming or highly detailed, depending on your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Gone Girl is great. Begins as a mystery novel and ends up being so much more. Is it as fucking awesome as Ack-Ack Macaque? Not quite, but it's still great.
    Well, I don't plan on expecting just anything to be as fucking awesome as Ack Ack Macaque. My copy of Hive Monkey should arrive in the mail soon, but I'm gonna have to refrain from tearing into it immediately. I must pace myself.
    Patience, young Padawan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I enjoyed Gone Girl the book, but I think it had been hyped up so much by the time I read it that it didn't have as big of an impact on me as far as the "wow" factor. The movie was very good as well. Really, really good adaptation. It only makes me wish that I could've gone into the movie "blind" without having read the book because I think it would've been that much more spectacular.
    I've steered clear of all discussion/talk about it for that reason. I hate trying to enjoy a book or movie that's been way over hyped by everyone cause then you get there and you're like "Really? This is it?"

Okay, I've gotta ask a question.

How much time will you give a book that you're not "feeling" before you give up on it altogether?

I started reading Ian McEwan's Atonement last night and, to be honest, I was almost over it before I even started it. I opened the book only to realize that there wasn't even any damn dialogue for the first 9 pages. 9 pages! I ventured into it anyway just because I wanted to read something, anything. But, I found myself just skimming paragraphs and barely paying attention to what was going on. I wanted to read it, was curious over it, but now I just wanna take the stupid book and put it in a pile of "I'll never read books" and trade it in at the bookstore even though I waited a month for it to be delivered in the mail.

Country
    Country Flag

For the most part, I finish a book even if I'm really not enjoying it. I feel like I have to. Then if you stop halfway through or whenever, you're always going to wonder if it got better right after you stopped. But chances are it didn't.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

50 pages max, a lot of times less. If you don't like the writing or the dialogue or the characters or whatever else, it's better to pick up something else. It's not even that it's a bad book necessarily but I'd rather be reading something I really like. Books are a big time commitment.

I lasted about 1/3 of a page in The City of the Dead by Brian Keene before I flung the book across the room. I've never been so disappointed with something a writer has done...I'm getting mad just thinking about it. The City is the sequel to The Rising. The Rising ends slightly open-ended but not really. It's pretty obvious what happened and it was bleak and it depressed the hell out of me. After being pressured by fans he wrote the sequel which changed the ending of The Rising completely. I felt cheated and robbed of the emotional impact The Rising had on me. I've read many of his books since then but never with enthusiasm I've had before The City of the Dead.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The maximum defective allowance I've ever given a book is 100 pages, and that's because I really wanted to like the book.

As others have mentioned, sometimes you know right away. I think I got about 30 pages in to The Lovely Bones before I said "lol, NOPE"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 545 of 713 FirstFirst ... 45 445 495 535 543 544 545 546 547 555 595 645 ... LastLast