Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the best movie character of all time? ONLY TWO ADVANCE!

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ed Bloom (Big Fish)

2 5.56%
  • Neo (The Matrix trilogy)

8 22.22%
  • Mr. Pink (Reservoir Dogs)

4 11.11%
  • Vito Corleone (The Godfather)

10 27.78%
  • Clark Griswold (National Lampoon films)

3 8.33%
  • Raymond Babbitt (Rain Man)

3 8.33%
  • Red (The Shawshank Redemption)

6 16.67%
  • Police Chief Martin Brody (Jaws)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BMCOAT - Round 2, Group C

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    (The whole tangent, btw, is actually quite apropos; if the majority can't be wrong, then perhaps there really is only The Matrix.)

absolutely perfect observation

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    My opinion is that majorities are almost always wrong. Remember people popularity has led us to something in life such as Britney Spears. I think this fact alone disproves the myth of majority rules.
    I don't care who or what Britney Spears may be, but various other evidence supports this opinion strongly, and has been supporting it during the whole course of human history.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    No, I'm telling you that the majority can't be wrong.
    Y'know still...this is really kind of a warped thing to believe. Just sayin'. Here's a few notes on the majority...

Most people in the US circ their baby boys. And I think its pretty clear that I'm not anywhere near a place where I might concede the point just because the majority does it.

Most women in the US deliver their babies while drugged out of their minds.

Most people in this country are fat. Do you really think they're right?

Most people in 1939 Germany thought Hitler was kinda neat. I think most of us can agree that they might have been mistaken.

Until Pearl Harbor happened most people in the US didn't want to fight a war to take Hitler down. Whaddya think? Would we have been right to sit that one out? We might be having this conversation in German.

John Adams believed that only a third of the population of the American colonies wanted to actually fight Britain for independence.

But first and foremost, Still, most people liked Titanic and that movie sucked my nutsack so hard I talked like Minnie Mouse for a week.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Once upon a time the majority of Americans believed slavery was right, women shouldn't be allowed to vote, and man would never walk on the moon.

Additionally, 98% of the population knows that 75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

jayson, woofer, mike, brad and jean:

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    ...Jayson, the Columbus thing is a good point. I'm not a huge fan of Columbus. I'm not sure you can really "discover" a land that already had people on it, but whatever. Also, anybody who has ever been on the ocean can understand why people thought he was crazy. It's just so flat for as far as the eye can see. ...
    I'm confused by your approach -- you say he has a good point, then you make some rather irrelevant counter-points. So, do you get it, or not? "The majority" may change over time, or may otherwise have varying definitions. Like I often say, there's no such thing as common sense. (The whole tangent, btw, is actually quite apropos; if the majority can't be wrong, then perhaps there really is only The Matrix.)
    No, I understand his point. I just really don't like Christopher Columbus.

I also stated that in certain instances the majority is wrong. It's just how I choose to look at things. Nobody has to subscribe to it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

gee thanks for the hug sarajean
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No, hug for me either.

Servant: You do realize if the majority doesn't believe in the "majority is right" idea it kinda' punches holes all in this theory, right?

Spoiler:
    I'm just messing around, man.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's a heavy paradox, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Once upon a time the majority of Americans believed slavery was right, women shouldn't be allowed to vote, and man would never walk on the moon.

Additionally, 98% of the population knows that 75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    Exactly so. Is it even true that an actual majority of people ever believed those things? Since slaves weren't even counted as "Americans," and since women didn't get to vote, how could we know? Justifications, made up on the spot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Come on guys, you're pulling my hind paws, right? Knowledge of what people believed or thought does not come from what statistic says. It's the whole of the culture, the recorded events and so on - and the method[s] of analyzing these, right or wrong; that is why history still is a science, however much someone might want to turn it into mythology.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Yes, jean. I was making a joke about statistics and their relevancy to whether or not something is good or bad, right or wrong, etc.

Take the case of out BMCOAT polls. Whoever wins is not really the best movie character of all time; it's the best movie character according to...
    • a completely unscientific, but fun, series of polls
    • voted on only by members of thedarktower.org
    • who knew about the contests
    • and who cared enough to vote

That is all.

Country
    Country Flag

that is why Henry didn't have any chances... or any member of his large (and knowledgeable) family...

My Mood
    Worried

I know.
    You know I know.
    I know you know I know.
    We know Cozener knows, and Cozener knows we know it.
    We're a knowledgeable internet family.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

You turd!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

No, hug for me either.

Servant: You do realize if the majority doesn't believe in the "majority is right" idea it kinda' punches holes all in this theory, right?

Spoiler:
    I'm just messing around, man.
    Yes...yes I do.

It's not the first time I've had holes punched through one of my theories.

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

But a little might be salvaged from your idea yet, I reckon, if it were modified to just say that the actual, tangible influence of a given film is a considerable factor in forming a reasonable opinion of its value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ... it is assumed that the number and quality of special effects has anything to do with a movie being good or bad, which is highly questionable (bears say "questionable" only to sound civil, although they have answered this question to themselves long ago).
    Sounds like a great discussion for another thread! I do think that a case could be made that, since movies are a visual medium, techniques for creating different imagery definitely play a vital role in them.

Country
    Country Flag

I have an answer to that, but I'll shut up since it's clearly not the right place. I hope when we have such a thread, I won't miss it. (or maybe we could fit it into one of the existing threads? only please let me know if such a discussion starts somewhere)

My Mood
    Worried

I have an answer to that, but I'll shut up since it's clearly not the right place. I hope when we have such a thread, I won't miss it. (or maybe we could fit it into one of the existing threads? only please let me know if such a discussion starts somewhere)
    Absolutely. However, you all know why I chose that particular aspect to emphasize in the example. N'est ce pas? (My French... needs polishing. Many years since I spoke it more than once a month (or two)!)

Country
    Country Flag

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Come on guys, you're pulling my hind paws, right? Knowledge of what people believed or thought does not come from what statistic says. It's the whole of the culture, the recorded events and so on - and the method[s] of analyzing these, right or wrong; that is why history still is a science, however much someone might want to turn it into mythology.
    Actually, I view history more as opinion than as science. You either end up with one person't viewpoint of what happened or at best can piece together multiple viewpoints in hopes of getting a somewhat clear picture. It's accuracy though is wholly dependent on whoever recorded it.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Actually, I view history more as opinion than as science. You either end up with one person't viewpoint of what happened or at best can piece together multiple viewpoints in hopes of getting a somewhat clear picture. It's accuracy though is wholly dependent on whoever recorded it.

precisely

history is in the hands of those writing it

does nobody think the last 8 years or so of events will look significantly different in american history books than they will elsewhere?

history is always going to be subjective

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, it goes very far beyond topic, but if you both read what I said unbiasedly (I mean, conceding that I may not be such a complete idiot as not to see that all history is always written subjectively, either on purpose or due the very nature of recording), you will see that we are talking about two entirely different things, both of which have the misfortune of coming under "history" in people's minds. I am ready to argue my point, if it still is not clear, but not here.

jean, though i am not entirely sure of what you're talking about, you know i am always game for these conversations. i suspect when i realize what you are talking about, i will see that we likely agree.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

How I explained history to be is my only understanding of it so honestly I'm just confused here. If you can explain what you mean here (or elsewhere) differently perhaps I'll get your meaning.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    jean, though i am not entirely sure of what you're talking about, you know i am always game for these conversations. i suspect when i realize what you are talking about, i will see that we likely agree.
    Absolutely.

History as a sum of records, written documents and material evidence, is always subjective. The aim of a historian is not to swallow anything whole. In this, history does not differ from any science: there's a number of data, and a number of methods of analyzing this data, and synthesizing a picture of the whole (physical, chemical, historical).

The methods are inadequate, by definition - tainted by various factors, including ideology.

The data is counterfeit, by definition.

This is how it is in any science, - in physics, too, data is corrupted by observation, and methods always imperfect.

The task of an honest historian, like that of any honest scientist, is in perfectioning the method, and not being afraid of refuting old theories if they no longer hold water - and he must understand that his picture will be refuted by generations to come.

No, I don't see this approach as subjective or relative. History is science in two main respects that characterize science:

1. It never gives us a final picture, but only one that will develop with time, as mankind develops;
    2. In spite of this, its ultimate material is the past that actually existed, and the reconstruction of this past as true as possible is the ultimate task of an historian.

That is why history is neither mythology, or game of relativity - although it may be the former at every given historical moment of development of any given society (like any other science taught at school), and the latter, alternative history and fantasy novels based on it being a very important scientific method, namely, experiment (which has to take place in mind, but is nonetheless quite sound)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast