Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Studio Ghibli

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Studio Ghibli

Recent discussion about Studio Ghibli and our upcoming 1980s movies tournament has reignited my love for all things Ghibli. I just gave myself an early birthday gift in ordering the deluxe hardcover of the complete Nausicaä manga. And then I discovered this very in-depth documentary series on almost all Ghibli movies, so I wanted to share, especially with those maybe unfamiliar with these amazing and unique films. The full list of Ghibli works can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#Feature_films and at the moment it looks like this channel's excellent work covers all of their films, except Arrietty (2010) and When Marnie Was There (2014), both directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, and the TV movie Ocean Waves (1993), but they're done complete retrospectives of both main directors of Studio Ghibli (Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata) so those could just be forthcoming.

Here is a kind of introductory episode, focusing on Miyazaki himself, which would serve anyone as a great introduction to Ghibli in general, plus another bonus episode, both about recent documentaries on Miyazaki:

And then, onto the films!

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

Castle in the Sky (1986), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

Grave of the Fireflies (1988), dir. Isao Takahata

My Neighbor Totoro (1988), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

Only Yesterday (1991), dir. Isao Takahata

Porco Rosso (1992), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

Ocean Waves (1993), dir. Tomomi Mochizuki

Pom Poko (1994), dir. Isao Takahata

Whisper of the Heart (1995), dir. Yoshifumi Kondō

Princess Mononoke (1997), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), dir. Isao Takahata

Spirited Away (2001), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

The Cat Returns (2002), dir. Hiroyuki Morita

Howl's Moving Castle (2004), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

Tales from Earthsea (2006), dir. Gorō Miyazaki

Ponyo (2009), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

Arrietty (2010), dir. Hiromasa Yonebayashi

From Up on Poppy Hill (2011), dir. Gorō Miyazaki

The Wind Rises (2013), dir. Hayao Miyazaki

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2014), dir. Isao Takahata

When Marnie Was There (2014), dir. Hiromasa Yonebayashi

Ronja, the Robber's Daughter (2014), dir. Gorō Miyazaki

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love Miyazaki's films. I've seen all of his, but unfortunately the only other Studio Ghibi film I've seen is Arrietty. I really need to rectify that soon.

Mae, have you seen the documentary The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness? It used to be streaming on Netflix, not sure if it still is, but I recommend it. It covers him making his final film, The Wind Rises, and brings you inside his studio.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sad I missed the second half of GhibliFest because of night school. Whisper of the Heart was wonderful. I was really looking forward to seeing Mononoke and Spirited Away on the big screen too.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I love Miyazaki's films. I've seen all of his, but unfortunately the only other Studio Ghibi film I've seen is Arrietty. I really need to rectify that soon.

Mae, have you seen the documentary The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness? It used to be streaming on Netflix, not sure if it still is, but I recommend it. It covers him making his final film, The Wind Rises, and brings you inside his studio.
    I have and it's excellent! Thankfully, The Wind Rises won't be his final film as Miyazaki is back at work on a new film:

https://collider.com/new-miyazaki-movie/
    Happy New Year from Studio Ghibli! The acclaimed animation studio’s annual greeting to kick off the new calendar year came with a special surprise this time. There was a brief update on the status of Studio Ghibli Park, along with a cute drawing from the legendary Hayao Miyazaki himself, but with that also came news of not one but two films in the works.

In the New Year’s message, in which the studio expressed condolences to everyone affected by severe weather over the last year and offered their hopes for a productive and revived energy taking us all through 2020, Studio Ghibli announced that two films are currently in production. One is Miyazaki’s own How Do You Live?, which is expected to center on Genzaburo Yoshino‘s 1937 novel of the same name and how it factors into the life of a 15-year-old protagonist and his uncle. The first film for Miyazaki since coming out of his recent semi-retirement was originally slated for release before Tokyo’s Olympics this year, but now it’s looking like a 2021 or 2022 release. As for the other film? Well, we’ll have to wait and see!

Here’s the full transcript, according to the always-reliable Google Translate:

Congratulations to all of you.Thank you for always supporting Studio Ghibli.

Last year was a pretty good year for Studio Ghibli, with Kabuki and other works staged and the official announcement of Ghibli Park, as well as aggressive overseas expansion, which provided a topic for everyone. I think it was. However, the disasters such as typhoons and heavy rains in Japan are continuing, and it is painful to think that there are many people who are forced to have a hard life even at this time. We would like to express our sincere condolences to those affected by the damage, and pray for the rebuilding of our lives as soon as possible.

By the way, the zodiac sign of 2020 is “child”. Rats are symbolic of their prosperity because of their prolific production, and are also said to be the angels of the god of fertility. I hope that the mood of the stagnating society will be renewed and that we will have a year of hope.

Studio Ghibli continues to work on two new films. Also, Ghibli Park has started in earnest, so we hope to be able to deliver a lot of excitement again this year.

In 2020, Studio Ghibli will begin work on January 6 (Monday).

Thank you very much for Studio Ghibli and Studio Ghibli this year.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

That's great news! I was really hoping he would make more films.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I really hope I get to see this one on the big screen one day....

Spoiler

English translation

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Spirited Away, just like I'm sure with all his works, really is quite a bit more impressive and fascinating on the big screen. I gained a whole new appreciation for it after seeing it in the theater.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Spoiler

English translation
    I saw it in theaters in the summer. I thought it was a wonderful movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Spoiler

English translation
    I saw it in theaters in the summer. I thought it was a wonderful movie.
    It definitely is, I think I've seen it three times now, just never on the big screen.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw Whisper of the Heart and then walked into Midsommar haha. Talk about two tonally different films.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I saw Whisper of the Heart and then walked into Midsommar haha. Talk about two tonally different films.
    Good lord!

I saw Spirited Away on the big screen when it was first released. Definitely worth it

Country
    Country Flag

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

when when when when when when
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Earwig and the Witch (Japanese: アーヤと魔女, Hepburn: Āya to Majo, lit. "Āya and the Witch") is an upcoming Japanese computer-animated television film produced by Studio Ghibli and directed by Gorō Miyazaki, based on the novel of the same name by Diana Wynne Jones. The cast includes Shinobu Terajima, Etsushi Toyokawa, Gaku Hamada, and Kokoro Hirasawa. It is scheduled to air on NHK on December 30, 2020.

so when will it make it to HBO Max????
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I wrote a pretty glowing review for Whisper of the Heart on my Letterboxd. I remember loving the film the first time around, but it kind of caught me by surprise. This time I really truly appreciated it and I bumped the score up to a full 5 stars from a 4.5.

https://letterboxd.com/mattrickbt/fi...-of-the-heart/

+ Reply to Thread