Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Under The Dome

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Under The Dome

I was surprised to find that there was not already a discussion thread for the CBS adaption of Under The Dome. I know there is a news thread under the Oracle but I figured this was a better place for actual discussion of the show's content.

So what did you think of the first episode? There have already been some big departures from the source material. Did they bother you? Where do you think they are going with the changes?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll watch when the season is done. Mondays are wrestling days. Hope I hear good things.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I liked it a lot. I'm OK with the changes too. I know I'll be tuning in next Monday.

The time slot is a little unfortunate because they were competing against two other S.F. shows.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    The time slot is a little unfortunate because they were competing against two other S.F. shows.
    That's why God invented the DVR. It's been ages since I've had to care about time slots and channels.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I actually had low expectations but I think I liked it. I definitely want to stick with it through the first season to see where they go with it.

I'm not sure I like the way they are portraying Barbie's character to start with. The lesbian couple with Norrie as their daughter threw me off for a few minutes too.

They seemed to gloss over the people that were in the plane that crashed as well. Did I miss it or was Andy Sanders introduced in the episode?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The pilot definitely had some Lost-esque quality to it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Did I miss it or was Andy Sanders introduced in the episode?
    You did not miss it. I assume that he has been eliminated from the story. Fine by me, because he was one of my least favorite parts of the book.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's alright. Didn't blow me out of the water.

Not crazy about how Junior seems to be toned down from the book; here he's more pathetic than scary. I'm excited about Dean Norris but I can't see him as Big Jim yet.

The biracial lesbian couple kind of came off to me as a hamfisted attempt at being "progressive" given the comments from the producers (and I'm speaking as a gay rights advocate, it's not the concept but the execution).

As I've said elsewhere, I'm a bit concerned about the "series" approach. It's not like Lost where they can get off the island halfway through the show. You really can't change the status quo here because once the Dome is gone there's nothing left to do and I feel stretching out the book's narrative for several seasons as opposed to having the shit hit the fan early on will only make it stagnant.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seems like they are almost toying with the book readers by taking things you expect to happen, hinting that it was going to, but then going another way. For example, the fight between Barbie and Junior and Junior capturing not killing his "girlfriend."

They have also acknowledged the existence of several characters with decent sized parts in the book but then put them outside the dome. I am guessing this is a way to honor the character but save on the payroll of having them in multiple episodes.

Another thing I noticed was the lack of religious commentary so far. Sure Big Jim said something in his announcement but did you notice it was Sunday morning and no one was in church? Also, the radio station is now a rock station instead of a Christian station and we did not meet the crazy preacher. It may show up in future episodes but I am guessing that CBS was nervous about the way King portrayed the religious characters so they are going to avoid it. To be honest, I am fine with it if they do because it was a little much.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't see it, we went to cedar point on Monday. Do they have a repeat schedule?

And if CBS changed the series to eliminate King's bitter political statements that made the book horrible, I may like the show.

John F. Kennedy RichardHawes is on a distinguished road RichardHawes's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

Interesting enough the ratings came in extremely high against both WWE Raw and The NHL Finals...13.1 million viewers

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/25/un...e-ratings-big/

The pilot is also being officially replayed here

http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/video/

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    I didn't see it, we went to cedar point on Monday. Do they have a repeat schedule?

And if CBS changed the series to eliminate King's bitter political statements that made the book horrible, I may like the show.

Give me a break, his political statements were not "bitter", and if you think a line or two you don't agree with makes a 1,000 page book "horrible" then you need thicker skin. As a matter of fact, the only political statements in the show were of a conservative nature, as one character remarks that the dome couldn't have been built by the government because it actually works. Sit back, relax and enjoy the episode.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Really liked it and my girlfriend did also (she has not read the book).
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

John F. Kennedy RichardHawes is on a distinguished road RichardHawes's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith87 View Post

Give me a break, his political statements were not "bitter", and if you think a line or two you don't agree with makes a 1,000 page book "horrible" then you need thicker skin. As a matter of fact, the only political statements in the show were of a conservative nature, as one character remarks that the dome couldn't have been built by the government because it actually works. Sit back, relax and enjoy the episode.
    Haha when Barbie said that I completely lost it...I thought that line was hilarious

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

It is available ON DEMAND if you have digital cable.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Country
    Country Flag

And on CBS.com.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So far, so good!!!! (Crosses fingers for the future). I'm very optimistic!!! FWIW, I thought the cow and the truck were especially good FX, IMHO!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith87 View Post

More than a 'line or two'. And like I said, if they've made changes to get rid of that trash from the book, I might like the show.

That and the dumbass ending.

Country
    Country Flag

Trash? What was wrong with the book's political message? I found it was apt and on point.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, good; political conversation...

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

King didnt allow Under The Dome to get political...its a power hungry individual who takes advantage of scared and isolated people...just like Mrs Carmody in The Mist. The entire meth lab aspect sidelined the books chances at commentary and shortened the timeline. Imagine if the Dome showed up during election month....so much could have been done with the book, it was disappointing for that reason. If the TV Show is NOTHING like the book I will enjoy it a lot, more chance to explore more aspects of the situation.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I really enjoyed it. It's been forever since I read the book, maybe that's good since I can't remember all the changes being made. My only concern is the thought of multiple seasons. I think it would be best to keep it short and sweet. Although by the end of the season maybe I'll change my mind on that and want more

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Why didn't the cow leave a blood stain on either side of the dome?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Why didn't the cow leave a blood stain on either side of the dome?
    Because it was a really, really bad effect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast