Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Your Movie Collection

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Show Your Movie Collection

I've recently joined the dvdcollection forum on reddit and the forum on Blu-ray.com, and have posted my Blu-Ray collection for the first time over there, so I figured I'd post it here as well.

Right now it's not as displayed as I'd like it to be, but when I move into the new house, I have some great ideas about how it's going to all be laid out. Woot woot!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wait until, Bruce see's this thread!!! LOL Pretty impressive, Shannon!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

THREE AMIGOS - IN THE ELECTRIC MIST

With NO MULTIPLE copies.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm still technically a buyer/reseller, hence the multiple copies. I don't know when I'll officially cross the line into "collector" as I think I'll always buy the deals and resell them for more than I pay for them, but I want to start getting into the cheesy, gimmicky "gift sets" ... So when my collection starts looking like this ...

Then I think that line will be crossed.

LINE ...WHAT LINE?

I just read today that Netflix ONLY has 4,335 movie titles plus 1,197 T.V.=5,532.

TWO U.K. BLU-RAY BOX SETS.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's my DVD collection. I have a rack of Blu-rays that is growing fast, as well as 3 other racks with random DVDs and TV sets.

Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Bruce should be exempt. Hes got his own thread already! Lol

Crazy collectors lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It might be fun to get a closer look at the movies. This is row one. There's some shit here, but there's also a lot of good stuff. I'm not sure if this will work, at least on desktops.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Mine's a mess. I really need to get a bigger cabinet. I have a nice cabinet that I can hide them all away in. Only problem is it only holds so much, so I have a huge bin of vhs tapes down in the basement. I also have some scattered boxes with more dvd's in them, plus just some dvd's laying around that I have no place to store. I should try to clean it up a bit and reorganize it, then maybe I'll post a picture if it looks halfway decent
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For better or worse, Netflix has all but killed my DVD collecting days.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    For better or worse, Netflix has all but killed my DVD collecting days.
    That's what happened to me for a while. Then I realized that eventually Netflix won't even offer movies (digital or disc) anymore. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a movie and I search all of my subscriptions and it's not carried by anybody. It's nice to just be able to pull it off the shelf. I get most of my DVDs for a buck nowadays.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I used to buy movies that I hadn't seen yet (before I had Netflix), but now I only buy ones that I see (either at the theater or by Netflix rental) that I liked enough to watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Then I realized that eventually Netflix won't even offer movies (digital or disc) anymore.
    What vision of Hell have you seen, Mike?

A NEW GAME BEGINS

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I used to buy movies that I hadn't seen yet (before I had Netflix), but now I only buy ones that I see (either at the theater or by Netflix rental) that I liked enough to watch again.

Then I realized that eventually Netflix won't even offer movies (digital or disc) anymore.

A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Although I fear he might be right. Everything seems to be going digital these days. Remember back a few years ago and netflix which started as a dvd only company wanted to switch the dvd portion to another name and keep the netflix name for streaming only. I think they got enough backlash that they kept it, but since then they've separated the website. It's pain browsing for movies. You have to switch between the two. They're not all in one like they used to be.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, it's a fact that the discs will eventually go extinct. Most people don't even have that plan anymore. I'm still getting the discs (it's the original plan that Heather got me into ), but most people who subscribe are streamers only. Side Note: I've had a DVD (The Assassin) from Netflix since the end of January.

Sending out discs is also expensive and replacing scratched ones can also be expensive. In fact, older discs are no longer being replaced.

As for the films being streamed. Think about it, Netflix has to pay for the license to stream these films. Licensing fees are going to continue to skyrocket as digital delivery becomes more and more popular, making it less and less profitable for Netflix. Now, if you ran Netflix, what would you rather populate your database with, movies and TV shows that you produce yourself or movies and TV shows that you have to pay for a license to stream? Netflix is producing more and more original content for that reason. At some point, they will transition from a streaming company to a bonafide TV and film production company. You just watch.

Another example, Netflix releases a list of stuff they are streaming each month. They also release a list of stuff that won't be streaming any longer. The list of the stuff that won't be streaming any longer is ALWAYS longer than the new stuff.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My friend and his wife are in the second season of LOST. Netflix loses theit licensing rights April 15th. It's good I've got the DVDs.

With all the OTT services all vying for licenses, Netflix continuously loses movies and tv as other OTT services scoop them up. This is why Netflix switched their focus from streaming service to studio/distributor. They need to make good original programming so people keep subscribing. My friend, between kids stuff and House of Cards, is keeping it. It certainly isn't the goldmine of film and obscure stuff it was a few years ago.

In the end, to get everything we want, we'll need to be subscribed to a half dozen OTT services and pay as much, or more, than satelitte and cable.

I watch most tv through dvd. If that stops...gay.

The end game? End of media ownership. EA has a service. Computer programs like Word and Adobe have rental services. Kindle Unlimited..l The goal is to make us RENT EVERYTHING so we OWN NOTHING. Eventually we'll be paying hundreds a month for movies/tv/games/programs/music and we'll own zero of it.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Although I fear he might be right. Everything seems to be going digital these days. Remember back a few years ago and netflix which started as a dvd only company wanted to switch the dvd portion to another name and keep the netflix name for streaming only. I think they got enough backlash that they kept it, but since then they've separated the website. It's pain browsing for movies. You have to switch between the two. They're not all in one like they used to be.
    Yeah, I do remember. There was such a backlash that they changed it back (and it WAS a stupid idea, so I'm glad they did). I don't have the streaming plan (just DVD), so I don't have to navigate between the two sites. I can see how it'd be a pain, though.

Except for a few Netflix original series, there's really not a ton of good movies on streaming for me to justify having it. I just can't see their DVD plans going away, even if it happens to be that more people have streaming than DVD (I don't know if that's true or not). Streaming vs. DVD. Regular books vs. eBooks. Any time something supposedly "better" or with newer technology comes along, there's always people who preferred the "old" way better. One doesn't have to make the other obsolete; there's just different options for consumption.

Well, it's a fact that the discs will eventually go extinct.
    I don't know if I believe that quite yet. As long as there's a demand for the DVD-by-mail service (and DVDs in general), it'll continue to exist. Just like when everyone thought DVDs were going to be obsolete when Blu-Ray came out. DVDs are still around and don't seem to be going anywhere.

Most people don't even have that plan anymore. I'm still getting the discs (it's the original plan that Heather got me into )
    I think Heather got me into that one too.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The goal is to make us RENT EVERYTHING so we OWN NOTHING. Eventually we'll be paying hundreds a month for movies/tv/games/programs/music and we'll own zero of it.
    Exactly, my friend, hence why I like having a shelf of content. It's mine, it's not in some cloud and doesn't consist of 0's and 1's. I can watch it without an internet connection, I can hold it in my hands and read the back of the case and I can let friends borrow it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The goal is to make us RENT EVERYTHING so we OWN NOTHING. Eventually we'll be paying hundreds a month for movies/tv/games/programs/music and we'll own zero of it.
    Exactly, my friend, hence why I like having a shelf of content. It's mine, it's not in some cloud and doesn't consist of 0's and 1's. I can watch it without an internet connection, I can hold it in my hands and read the back of the case and I can let friends borrow it.
    Ricky, just for fun, start asking family and friends who have Netflix if they still get the DVDs in the mail. I have a ton of family and friends that have Netflix. I'm the only person that still gets discs...

As for the demise of discs, I have first-hand experience. In one of my jobs, we sell hundreds and hundreds of DVDs. I can't tell you how many people ask us if we are selling digital copies because they no longer have a DVD player in the house. It's at least a dozen at every event. It's happening. Not for guys like you and I, but our kids? You betcha.

Country
    Country Flag

Ricky, just for fun, start asking family and friends who have Netflix if they still get the DVDs in the mail.
    I actually don't think I have too many family members who are big into movies and television like we are. Most are most casual movie-goers and television watchers, so I don't think they'd have Netflix. But I get what you're saying. I think my generation prefers streaming because of the ease of use and "virtual" content, but having a DVD and physically putting it into the DVD player is part of the experience for me. Damn Millennials.

I can't tell you how many people ask us if we are selling digital copies because they no longer have a DVD player in the house. It's at least a dozen at every event. It's happening. Not for guys like you and I, but our kids? You betcha.
    Ugh. That's sad. Streaming needs to just go away.

I was looking at new TVs recently (my old 13 inch one--with a built-in VCR!--just died. Had it for 15 years) and didn't even know Smart TVs existed. They seemed pretty cool but after doing some research into it and learning how they can link to your home wi-fi (and let hackers get into your Internet and computer through the TV) and send information about your viewing habits, it freaked me out. (Not to mention that if a "Smart" aspect of your TV dies, the whole TV is pretty much shot since they don't offer system updates for Smart TVs.)

That's another reason why I don't have Facebook or the Cloud or linking my phone to my computer to my TV to my refrigerator. Everything's so connected and it's legitimately a little scary. We're just a step away from Skynet taking over.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's another reason why I don't have Facebook or the Cloud or linking my phone to my computer to my TV to my refrigerator. Everything's so connected and it's legitimately a little scary. We're just a step away from Skynet taking over.
    I gotta say, that's an interesting take for somebody your age. Honestly, you sound like my dad.

That said, you have reason to be cautious and it's a good thing. Facebook and the cloud are fairly harmless though. Connectivity between your phone and a computer is just plain convenient.

I don't want to scare you, but do you have wifi? If so, you leave yourself open to hackers no matter how great your security is on it. If a hacker wants to hack you bad enough, he or she will.

Lastly, if you have cable, you're also sending information about your viewing habits. I hope I'm not panicking you, that's not my intent.

Country
    Country Flag

I gotta say, that's an interesting take for somebody your age. Honestly, you sound like my dad.
    Yeah, I get that from other people sometimes. And I just got a smartphone last month.

I don't want to scare you, but do you have wifi? If so, you leave yourself open to hackers no matter how great your security is on it. If a hacker wants to hack you bad enough, he or she will.

Lastly, if you have cable, you're also sending information about your viewing habits. I hope I'm not panicking you, that's not my intent.
    Yeah, I know. I think it's a mental thing. I've had wi-fi for...almost ten years (I think), so since I've had it for a while, it's kind of an "out of sight, out of mind" thing. I think it's more of the "new and improved" ways for hackers to get to you that leaves me apprehensive. Everything is "Smart" now and so interconnected. Like I said, I was considering a Smart TV and then I thought, "Why the hell do I need Internet on my TV?"
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Everyone I know that has netflix only has the streaming option. Sometimes I'll mention that I got a movie from netflix and they'll say "oh it's up on netflix, I didn't see it, or I'll have to watch it", then I have to specify, no I got the dvd from them, which I then have to further explain, no its the dvd that netflix sent me, it's not streaming on their site

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast